Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally submitted my secondary, between the compressing, printing, scanning, and just general not knowing what the hell I'm doing, I feel like I just won the tri-wizard tournament.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused by their essay. It is a personal statement but I already wrote mine for the main application.

Should I rewrite a new personal statement oriented around their school's goals or just copy my old personal statement and rework it a bit?

I'm confused by their essay. It is a personal statement but I already wrote mine for the main application.

Should I rewrite a new personal statement oriented around their school's goals or just copy my old personal statement and rework it a bit?

rewrite a new one

The admissions office may possibly skim over stuff, but the interviewers read your entire application very carefully. My interviewer cited a very specific sentence buried deep in my secondary and asked me to expand on it.

II for Harlem, LizzyM ~ 66/67. I think I was complete 9/20.
The dates available right now are Oct 26, Oct 28, and Nov 2.

Reactions: 1 user
II for Harlem! Complete 9/21. Hopefully going Oct 28.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II. Complete 9/23, LizzyM around 64. Like everyone else is saying, my options were 10/26, 10/28 and 11/2. I have a work conflict with 10/26 and an interview conflict with 10/28. I wasn't sure if it was kosher to say I had another interview when I ranked my dates so I just told them I had a serious conflict with the 28th. Do you guys think that's OK? I just don't want it to sound like I have some silly personal thing on the 28th and that their interview isn't a priority. I also didn't want to mention the other school so it didn't seem like I was serious about theirs. But I feel like schools can see through AACOMAS or something where we've been invited to interview? Is that a thing?

Just got an II. Complete 9/23, LizzyM around 64. Like everyone else is saying, my options were 10/26, 10/28 and 11/2. I have a work conflict with 10/26 and an interview conflict with 10/28. I wasn't sure if it was kosher to say I had another interview when I ranked my dates so I just told them I had a serious conflict with the 28th. Do you guys think that's OK? I just don't want it to sound like I have some silly personal thing on the 28th and that their interview isn't a priority. I also didn't want to mention the other school so it didn't seem like I was serious about theirs. But I feel like schools can see through AACOMAS or something where we've been invited to interview? Is that a thing?

I think that's fine. I just listed the dates in the order I wanted them, I don't think an explanation is really necessary so I wouldn't worry about it!

Has anyone gotten their date confirmed?? I was hoping to fly out a few days early (I've never been to NY) and I haven't heard back so it's stressing me out - at this point I'll have to book my flight/hotel days in advance!

No they can't see where you have interviewed. That would be ridiculous. I recall that there is a date in which they may be able to see you hold multiple acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their date confirmed?? I was hoping to fly out a few days early (I've never been to NY) and I haven't heard back so it's stressing me out - at this point I'll have to book my flight/hotel days in advance!

My interview date hasn't been confirmed yet (I got the II today and responded immediately). But I'm hoping they'll confirm the date tomorrow cause I also want to get there a few days early to figure out how to get around NY and figure out my flight/hotel stuff. If they don't confirm tomorrow, I'll probably call on Wednesday.

II as well!! LizzyM 63. Never got a complete email but submitted secondary around 9/23

My interview date hasn't been confirmed yet (I got the II today and responded immediately). But I'm hoping they'll confirm the date tomorrow cause I also want to get there a few days early to figure out how to get around NY and figure out my flight/hotel stuff. If they don't confirm tomorrow, I'll probably call on Wednesday.

I got confirmed today after an anxious wait, hopefully yours comes soon too!

Has anyone interviewed here already and is willing to share their experience? What was the day like? I've had an interview that was 8-2pm where I spent a lot of time waiting and another that was the same length of time but packed with activities.

No they can't see where you have interviewed. That would be ridiculous. I recall that there is a date in which they may be able to see you hold multiple acceptances.

I don't see how seeing where you're interviewing is any more ridiculous than seeing where you've been accepted. It's almost the same information that they can use in the same way just a step earlier.

Does anyone know how we're supposed to access the MyTouro portal? I tried entering my PIN and password and creating a new account and neither were validated... Just fyi, I received the link to the MyTouro portal after an interview date was confirmed.

I don't see how seeing where you're interviewing is any more ridiculous than seeing where you've been accepted. It's almost the same information that they can use in the same way just a step earlier.

They don't have any reason to know where you're interviewing. They do however have a reason to know if you hold multiple acceptances.

Just got my confirmation. Interviewing on the 28th!

Does anyone know how we're supposed to access the MyTouro portal? I tried entering my PIN and password and creating a new account and neither were validated... Just fyi, I received the link to the MyTouro portal after an interview date was confirmed.
I am also curious how to log in for this. Let me know if you figure it out

I think there's something wrong with the link, because it redirects to the portal. I don't think we should have access to that yet- to make an account you need a student ID.

What is TouroCOM-Harlem screen this year for the new MCAT?

hey can any current students expand on TOURO Harlem. we only had a couple posts so far in this thread (most being about the secondary formatting)

we would really appreciate it.

what do you love about Touro?

what advice do you have if we get to interview here?

are the rotations not ideal because of the hospital juggling?

Thanks!

hey can any current students expand on TOURO Harlem. we only had a couple posts so far in this thread (most being about the secondary formatting)

we would really appreciate it.

what do you love about Touro?

what advice do you have if we get to interview here?

are the rotations not ideal because of the hospital juggling?

Thanks!
+1
I thought the hospital juggling was more of a DO school-specific-problem type of thing since most schools don't have teaching hospitals, no?
Another question is: how are rotations in NJ/the area? Are there opportunities to rotate in NY/manhattan (albeit very competitive because of other NY schools) and what about matching in NY/Manhattan?

Anyone here who has a MCAT score lower than a 500 receive a secondary from Harlem?

This is definitely a long shot, but does anyone live near the campus and would be willing to let me crash with them? Or anyone interviewing November 2nd and willing to split a hotel room nearby?

I thought the hospital juggling was more of a DO school-specific-problem type of thing since most schools don't have teaching hospitals, no? Another question is: how are rotations in NJ/the area? Are there opportunities to rotate in NY/manhattan (albeit very competitive because of other NY schools) and what about matching in NY/Manhattan?

Most of the NJ rotations are at Palisades, Jersey City, and Holy Name Medical Center. In NYC, they have Staten Island University Hospital. It's not in Manhattan, but you could commute there. Staten Island is actually a huge hospital with a Tier I trauma center and a national burn center. It has a very competitive ACGME Emergency Medicine residency at the hospital. None of the other NJ hospitals (except Palisades) have residency programs. Jersey City has a few but they were absorbed from Meadowlands Hospital and they probably won't survive the merger. Students don't rotate in Manhattan at all. You can probably live in Manhattan while you do your rotations in New Jersey but I don't know why you would do that given the crazy rent. Half the students will move to New Jersey third year for rotations.

In terms of matching, I don't know how you can get a fair response. If you want to IM, you will find a place in either St. Luke's or Lennox Hill (both are mid tier programs, but in Manhattan). Looking at past lists, many students go to Brooklyn or out of state. I'm sure if you want to stay in Manhattan/NYC post-grad, you will find something (as long as it's primary care or EM)

Looks like they are caring more about MCAT than GPA, which makes me wonder if I might actually have a shot here.

For those submitted the secondary here, did you guys have to answer questions about extracurricular activities, awards, volunteer experiences? I see that in the completed application preview but cannot answer them because its not an option in the application portal.

For those submitted the secondary here, did you guys have to answer questions about extracurricular activities, awards, volunteer experiences? I see that in the completed application preview but cannot answer them because its not an option in the application portal.

Not sure what you mean but there is just one essay thats a personal statement

Thanks so much for replying! I found out through another member that I don't have to answer those questions because they are for Cali and Nevada applications.

Did we decide about explicit rejections (at this point)? I sent my secondary a little over a month ago, then e-mailed them a few days ago about something. No complete e-mail, no response to my other e-mail. Others complete at the same time have gotten IIs. IS, 3.5 uGPA/3.9+ gGPA/513 MCAT. I feel like I'm a good candidate here, but... nothing. Frustrating. I'm fine waiting (it's already been 2.5 months at other places!) but I want something so I know I didn't get sunk by a rouge letter or something.

Other people saw those fields as well and I believe they are only available for other programs. Basically seems like one big form (for many programs) that autofills based on your responses to the questions provided to you once you select your program.

Good luck to those with II's! Keep us updated.

Did we decide about explicit rejections (at this point)? I sent my secondary a little over a month ago, then e-mailed them a few days ago about something. No complete e-mail, no response to my other e-mail. Others complete at the same time have gotten IIs. IS, 3.5 uGPA/3.9+ gGPA/513 MCAT. I feel like I'm a good candidate here, but... nothing. Frustrating. I'm fine waiting (it's already been 2.5 months at other places!) but I want something so I know I didn't get sunk by a rouge letter or something.

Other people saw those fields as well and I believe they are only available for other programs. Basically seems like one big form (for many programs) that autofills based on your responses to the questions provided to you once you select your program.

Good luck to those with II's! Keep us updated.

Call them. Your numbers are great...maybe too great? Don't some schools think "This guy is going to an MD school" and lose interest? I would call them to find out whats going on. I still have not gotten a complete email either or any indication of LORs recieved.

Did other people get complete emails?

I feel like they're going very much in the order of complete date, like it seems that the ppl that have been invited for interviews were complete in September while the October people (like me) haven't been invited yet. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
Rec'd 10/14. Sub'd 10/23.
Looks like the turnaround time for a response is ~4 weeks so I'll say 5-6 weeks since I'm not even complete yet.
When are the current interview dates? Seems like 11/2 is the latest one as of recent.

Submitted 10/1 got an email saying that they got my secondary but said they would email when file is complete. Should i call em because i never got a completion email or no one got it?

Submitted 10/1 got an email saying that they got my secondary but said they would email when file is complete. Should i call em because i never got a completion email or no one got it?
Read my post above. ~4 weeks for a decision, but at this point in the cycle, it may take up to 5-6.
Patience is a virtue.

Can any students PM me any useful interview feedback tips (if you've interviewed yet this cycle)?

Following information is based on my interview experience last year (+ the experience of my upperclassman friends). They don't seem to change their interview style between years.

There are three interview questions that will be asked in every interview:

(1) Why TouroCOM?
(2) Why Harlem (or Middletown)?
(3) Why DO?

Also heads up they do a good cop, bad cop routine. When one of the interviewers gives you a hard time just smile (because you identified who the bad cop is!), and do your best to stay relaxed and answer the question to the best of your ability.

Good luck! I hope to give some of you a tour of the Harlem campus!