Touro COM - New York, Harlem (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the positivity @hellobello18 ! And I understand people may have bad opinions about the school but I don't think it worth our time to hash it out on here. Every school has differing opinions but at the end of the day, the graduates are still docs so then it's up to the individual to be a good doc. Negativity and putting certain schools down to hopeful applicants is not helping our application process.
No negativity here, just being as honest as possible with my experience at the school I attended for a year. I can't and won't speak about board scores or match lists or rotation sites because that was not my experience as a Master's student. It goes without being said that anyone with a good work ethic and determination can succeed at any school. Touro has their fair share of problems but at the end of the day, it's still medical school and one is better than none. All I've done is offer my 2 cents as someone who pretty much lived in that building for the 2015-2016 academic year. I know that might rub people the wrong way but such is the way of the land on SDN. I don't take offense to the mean comments directed my way here and I hope other people can stop being so aggressive because it's really not that serious. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the positivity @hellobello18 ! And I understand people may have bad opinions about the school but I don't think it worth our time to hash it out on here. Every school has differing opinions but at the end of the day, the graduates are still docs so then it's up to the individual to be a good doc. Negativity and putting certain schools down to hopeful applicants is not helping our application process.

God bless you. That's a very adult attitude to have. I was looking at Touro's internal medicine match list. Some say it's really good. I don't know. You have Stony Brook and NYMC which are fine, i guess. You also have matches in community hospitals in Roosevelt, Coney Island, Bronx, Staten island, Flushing, Middletown, Westchester. And also in Jersey, Elizabethtown, Morristown, Newark, Camden.

Those are ok, I guess. Coney Island has roller coasters which are nice. Newark is sort of close to Hoboken which is really cool.

Reactions: 1 user
no sour grapes here, buddy. frankly if you were that much more important than me, you would have gotten into a better school. being "important" at a bad school is nothing to brag about.

i stand by what i said and i do not care about your hostile opinion. go get ready for clickers tomorrow.
I do not see how my opinion is hostile. I am saying that the opinion of an actual medical student is more important. In addition, you seem to think I attend Touro. I do not attend Touro, and I do not think I am more important than you. I, like you, am applying this cycle. But it is clear from your bolded advice what you think of Touro students (and people who disagree with you), and it is insulting.

I do appreciate your honesty, as I am in a Master's program myself and also see the downsides and upsides of the associated medical school. I agree with you about the actual student being the most important piece, and I suppose we can leave it at that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just did some good research on medical schools put on probation.

These probations could be as little as not having enough teaching space, to over enrollment, to actual academic curriculum issues. Sooooo many schools in recent years have been put on probation. To name a few, Baylor, George Washington, UT-San Antonio. There are more schools but the term 'Probation' implies so many things yet could mean nothing in terms of the actual experience of the students.

If the only violation the school had was enrolling a few more students than their accreditation allows, this is extremely dumb to spend an entire page on this forum trying to argue about it.

Ultimately, the residency placements from last years class looks amazing so whatever stats this student is posting can't be valid.

More importantly, can any of the current students share some advice/perspective on living in NY? Where do students stay? Does anyone live within a half mile of the school? Or where is an affordable place to stay (relatively)
People live in Harlem, I'm in UWS. There may be people looking for roommates as the school year comes to a close and rising 3rd years get ready to move for rotations.

There are also some commuters. I have a friend who commutes from Long Island (a few people do) and a commuter from Connecticut. I believe there are some Jersey people as well.

People live in Harlem, I'm in UWS. There may be people looking for roommates as the school year comes to a close and rising 3rd years get ready to move for rotations.

There are also some commuters. I have a friend who commutes from Long Island (a few people do) and a commuter from Connecticut. I believe there are some Jersey people as well.
Also I think there's some link up with the podiatry school housing...perhaps you can ask about it in your interview, as I'm not too sure about it.

God bless you. That's a very adult attitude to have. I was looking at Touro's internal medicine match list. Some say it's really good. I don't know. You have Stony Brook and NYMC which are fine, i guess. You also have matches in community hospitals in Roosevelt, Coney Island, Bronx, Staten island, Flushing, Middletown, Westchester. And also in Jersey, Elizabethtown, Morristown, Newark, Camden.

Those are ok, I guess. Coney Island has roller coasters which are nice. Newark is sort of close to Hoboken which is really cool.

Touro had a great match list last year from what I saw. I've worked in tons of specialities (Ortho, neurology, family, podiatry, pain management, and emergency) and so far Emergency Medicine has been my complete favorite, so that's what I think I might shoot for (even though that could change a million times between now and the end of med school). But Touro had a good amount of Emergency matches.

I do not see how my opinion is hostile. I am saying that the opinion of an actual medical student is more important. In addition, you seem to think I attend Touro. I do not attend Touro, and I do not think I am more important than you. I, like you, am applying this cycle. But it is clear from your bolded advice what you think of Touro students (and people who disagree with you), and it is insulting.

I do appreciate your honesty, as I am in a Master's program myself and also see the downsides and upsides of the associated medical school. I agree with you about the actual student being the most important piece, and I suppose we can leave it at that.

Not to beat a dead horse but you don't go to Touro and you aren't in medical school and you haven't even finished your MS program so ?????

And since you don't go to Touro, me saying "get ready for clickers" isn't an insult. Not being ready for clickers (at least most of the time) isn't a good thing. Next time, try sticking to what you know and just staying in your lane.

I just did some good research on medical schools put on probation.

These probations could be as little as not having enough teaching space, to over enrollment, to actual academic curriculum issues. Sooooo many schools in recent years have been put on probation. To name a few, Baylor, George Washington, UT-San Antonio. There are more schools but the term 'Probation' implies so many things yet could mean nothing in terms of the actual experience of the students.

If the only violation the school had was enrolling a few more students than their accreditation allows, this is extremely dumb to spend an entire page on this forum trying to argue about it.

Ultimately, the residency placements from last years class looks amazing so whatever stats this student is posting can't be valid.

More importantly, can any of the current students share some advice/perspective on living in NY? Where do students stay? Does anyone live within a half mile of the school? Or where is an affordable place to stay (relatively)

I know people who lived all over-the bronx, harlem, UWS, UES (little more difficult since you have to take crosstown bus), FiDi, midtown, chelsea, brooklyn, staten island and even long island. The easiest commute in my opinion is to live either in harlem or off the ACE or 23 subway lines (anywhere on the west side of manhattan-- washington heights, UWS, midtown west, chelsea, west village).

Most affordable would probably be harlem, washington heights, morningside heights.

If you are a person who plans on spending 24/7 at school to study then I'd recommend living in harlem. Personally I didn't go to class as much and prefered to study at home or coffee shops so I spent more money on rent to live in a nicer area. Living in NYC was an awesome experience--usually I would go to class prob 3x a week for half day (when we had labs and I'd go to about 1/2 of the clicker sessions). The rest of the week I would study most of the day but also fit in time to go to the gym or walk around central park and also meet up friends about 2x a week for dinner/drinks. Our class would usually have social events at bars around the city after big tests which are fun and great bonding time with classmates. The nice thing about living in NYC is there is always an event going on or something to do! ***^ is my experience and I know some other students obv have different ways of learning and stress relief.

I wasn't a straight A student but I did well during preclinical years. Also, as was already mentioned i think in this thread is that grades during preclincial years dont matter for the most part (most other schools are pass/fail, not ABC letter grades like touro so when you apply to residency programs they have no way of determining if your grades are better or wose than other applicant's "passing" grade which could be equivalent to our C vs. an A.) Ultimately, you just have to know what study methods work for you and which don't. If you learn by going to class and listening to professors and doing practice questions (clickers) then u should def go to class.I learned best by reading books/watching lectures on my own time and did perfectly fine on boards and school exams.

GL to everyone applying this cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know people who lived all over-the bronx, harlem, UWS, UES (little more difficult since you have to take crosstown bus), FiDi, midtown, chelsea, brooklyn, staten island and even long island. The easiest commute in my opinion is to live either in harlem or off the ACE or 23 subway lines (anywhere on the west side of manhattan-- washington heights, UWS, midtown west, chelsea, west village).

Most affordable would probably be harlem, washington heights, morningside heights.

If you are a person who plans on spending 24/7 at school to study then I'd recommend living in harlem. Personally I didn't go to class as much and prefered to study at home or coffee shops so I spent more money on rent to live in a nicer area. Living in NYC was an awesome experience--usually I would go to class prob 3x a week for half day (when we had labs and I'd go to about 1/2 of the clicker sessions). The rest of the week I would study most of the day but also fit in time to go to the gym or walk around central park and also meet up friends about 2x a week for dinner/drinks. Our class would usually have social events at bars around the city after big tests which are fun and great bonding time with classmates. The nice thing about living in NYC is there is always an event going on or something to do! ***^ is my experience and I know some other students obv have different ways of learning and stress relief.

I wasn't a straight A student but I did well during preclinical years. Also, as was already mentioned i think in this thread is that grades during preclincial years dont matter for the most part (most other schools are pass/fail, not ABC letter grades like touro so when you apply to residency programs they have no way of determining if your grades are better or wose than other applicant's "passing" grade which could be equivalent to our C vs. an A.) Ultimately, you just have to know what study methods work for you and which don't. If you learn by going to class and listening to professors and doing practice questions (clickers) then u should def go to class.I learned best by reading books/watching lectures on my own time and did perfectly fine on boards and school exams.

I spent the most time at school the first half of first year because you have anatomy lab which takes up a lot of time compared to other labs but you learn a lot during your time in anatomy lab if you come prepared. My lab group would quiz eachother on our dissection for the day and previous days so when time came around for the practical we would spend less time studying.

Last edited:

If you are a person who plans on spending 24/7 at school to study then I'd recommend living in harlem. Personally I didn't go to class as much and prefered to study at home or coffee shops so I spent more money on rent to live in a nicer area. Living in NYC was an awesome experience--usually I would go to class usually about 3x a week for half the day (when we had labs and I'd go to about 1/2 of the clicker sessions). The rest of the week I would study most of the day but also fit in time to go to the gym or walk around central park and also meet up friends about 2x a week for dinner/drinks. Our class would usually have social events at bars around the city after big tests which are fun and great bonding time with classmates. The nice thing about living in NYC is there is always an event going on or something to do! ***^ is my experience and I know some other students obv have different ways of learning and stress relief.

Totally agree. My roommate and I lived a little further away from the school for lower rent but the A line was like 2 minutes away. From our place to school was about 20 minutes max. You've got options, try to find a no-fee place though. Costs definitely add up!

no sour grapes here, buddy. frankly if you were that much more important than me, you would have gotten into a better school. being "important" at a bad school is nothing to brag about.

i stand by what i said and i do not care about your hostile opinion. go get ready for clickers tomorrow.

No offense, but don't you think you should be focusing on other schools than lurking on TouroCOM's forums considering you don't plan on attending year nor are you a current student. I was wondering if all this negativity died out yet and nope still there... Sure, we're not Harvard but at least we have a match list where people can match into Hopkins, Yale, Stony, Sinai and other programs. And just wanted to point the school name/prestige does NOT weigh as much emphasis as the work you put in. I speak with experience b/c I myself went to an undergraduate Ivy leauge school and I'm not the slightest bitter about being here at Touro considering the well rounded student group here. I thought I was having an edge- but EVERYONE in medical school is smart- and super hard working. So get over this oh it's a ****ty, bad school and move on!

Last edited:

so whats the grading/attendance policy?

I thought you had to go to class for a grade? and do clickers? I'm like getting too many mixed signals about what the average day as a student at Touro looks like and whats graded.

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense, but don't you think you should be focusing on other schools than lurking on TouroCOM's forums considering you don't plan on attending year nor are you a current student. I was wondering if all this negativity died out yet and nope still there... Sure, we're not Harvard but at least we have a match list where people can match into Hopkins, Yale, Stony, Sinai and other programs. And just wanted to point the school name/prestige does NOT weigh as much emphasis as the work you put in. I speak with experience b/c I myself went to an undergraduate Ivy leauge school and I'm not the slightest bitter about being here at Touro considering the well rounded student group here. I thought I was having an edge- but EVERYONE in medical school is smart- and super hard working. So get over this oh it's a ****ty, bad school and move on!

Oh enough. IDK why you're replying to a post from 3 days ago, it seems like you're the bored one. I'm not going back and forth about this crap anymore. As someone else said, it's not fair to the applicants who want to hear about secondaries and IIs on this thread. if you really want to keep talking about this (and i doubt you do), you're more than welcome to send me a DM.

so whats the grading/attendance policy?

I thought you had to go to class for a grade? and do clickers? I'm like getting too many mixed signals about what the average day as a student at Touro looks like and whats graded.
Clickers are 10% of the overall grade for each class. You'll have clickers on Tuesdays-Fridays, the lowest one is dropped at the end of the semester. Some days (last year it was Tuesday and Fridays) you'll have just Anatomy clickers and lab. Other days, you'll have all day clickers..essentially from 9a-4p. While there is no strict attendance policy, you generally want as many points as possible so you'll attend most/all clicker sessions.

Clickers are 10% of the overall grade for each class. You'll have clickers on Tuesdays-Fridays, the lowest one is dropped at the end of the semester. Some days (last year it was Tuesday and Fridays) you'll have just Anatomy clickers and lab. Other days, you'll have all day clickers..essentially from 9a-4p. While there is no strict attendance policy, you generally want as many points as possible so you'll attend most/all clicker sessions.

Is it considered bad form or is it overly conspicuous to attend clickers for attendance points and duck out early? I learn best on my own but I also hate losing out on easy points.

EDIT: shoot I meant to address this to @Romeo117

Is it considered bad form or is it overly conspicuous to attend clickers for attendance points and duck out early? I learn best on my own but I also hate losing out on easy points.

Clickers are one hour per class so you'd have to stay for the whole thing to get all of the points.

any current touro medical schoool students confirm the above as far as the policy on clickers and attendance goes?

The reason I ask is because I like to study a lot on my own. So, if I can choose whether to go to class, do clickers, or study on my own, that option alone would really sway me to Touro.

any current touro medical schoool students confirm the above as far as the policy on clickers and attendance goes?

The reason I ask is because I like to study a lot on my own. So, if I can choose whether to go to class, do clickers, or study on my own, that option alone would really sway me to Touro.

Am not sure of the current schedule, but this was how it was 3 years ago when I started.
First year
Mon: test
Tues: clickers from 8-12. 4 classes, 1 hour each
Wed: pd clickers from 8-9, then lab from 9-12 (usually only 1- 1 1/2 hours, groups were split up)
Thurs: clickers 8-10, then OMM lab from 10-12, then anatomy lab from 1-3, then histo from 3-5 (easy to leave after signing in to histo)
Fri: Clickers 8-9, anatomy lab 9-11. (only 1st semester, 2nd semester we had no classes)
Total first semester: 17-18 hours per week, 8 hours of clickers. Second semester: 14-16 hours per week, 7 hours of clickers.

Second year
Tues: OMM clicker 9-10, Path lab 10-12, OMM lab 1-3
Wed: CS clickers 10-12, Primary care/OSCE 1-5 (1 credit class, not a big deal, easy A. Sometimes had clickers, but usually broken up into groups, usually not more than an hour per group, so sometimes you left at 2, other times you had a long lunch break and left late)
Thurs: Clickers 8-12
Fri: No classes
Total hours per week: 12-14, 7 hours of clickers

Clickers do count for 10%, but the 2 lowest grades were dropped, and really, if you did well enough on exams the clicker grades didn't make much difference. Never had clickers from 9-4, the longest was 4 hours when we had to get through 4 classes.
Many of the labs were broken up into 2-3 groups, so depending on your schedule, may have 3 hour break in the middle of schedule which you could use to study. Labs are mandatory, and you will fail if you miss more than 3 per course. For OMM, this is required at every DO school as there is a minimum number of hours that must be completed.

Last edited:
Am not sure of the current schedule, but this was how it was 3 years ago when I started.
First year
Tues: clickers from 8-12. 4 classes, 1 hour each
Wed: pd clickers from 8-9, then lab from 9-12 (usually only 1- 1 1/2 hours, groups were split up)
Thurs: clickers 8-10, then OMM lab from 10-12, then anatomy lab from 1-3, then histo from 3-5 (easy to leave after signing in to histo)
Fri: Clickers 8-9, anatomy lab 9-11. (only 1st semester, 2nd semester we had no classes)
Total first semester: 17-18 hours per week, 8 hours of clickers. Second semester: 14-16 hours per week, 7 hours of clickers.

Second year
Tues: OMM clicker 9-10, Path lab 10-12, OMM lab 1-3
Wed: CS clickers 10-12, Primary care/OSCE 1-5 (1 credit class, not a big deal, easy A. Sometimes had clickers, but usually broken up into groups, usually not more than an hour per group, so sometimes you left at 2, other times you had a long lunch break and left late)
Thurs: Clickers 8-12
Fri: No classes
Total hours per week: 12-14, 7 hours of clickers

Clickers do count for 10%, but the 2 lowest grades were dropped, and really, if you did well enough on exams the clicker grades didn't make much difference. Never had clickers from 9-4, the longest was 4 hours when we had to get through 4 classes.
Many of the labs were broken up into 2-3 groups, so depending on your schedule, may have 3 hour break in the middle of schedule which you could use to study. Labs are mandatory, and you will fail if you miss more than 3 per course. For OMM, this is required at every DO school as there is a minimum number of hours that must be completed.
when I get out of class I will give a breakdown of the week. Sorry guys....give me a few

Last edited:

Sinai? In NY? The only sinai I see is the one in baltimore.... and it's not the same thing. And i'm pretty sure Hopkins and Yale don't take DO. and if they do, I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon in the future.

I wrote before that Touro's internal medicine match list has mostly community programs in Jersey and NY boroughs non-Manhattan.

This is an example schedule...I'm in group A (vs B) meaning I have certain classes in the morning while group B is afternoon

Monday - Exam day (day off if no exam...rare)
Tuesday - Anatomy Day~clickers 9-10am~lab 10-noon
Wed- 8-9am PD clickers ~ 9-12 PD lab (broken up into three groups sometimes...one hour each group...or whole class is together for 3 hours) ~ 1-4pm physio,biochem and histo clickers one hour each.
Thurs- 8-9am professionalism ~ 9-10am OMM clickers ~ 10-12 OMM lab ~ 1-3pm (usually ends early) histo lab... 3-4pm biochem review (optional but you may want to go if you need help with clinical vignettes. The weeks vignette is only talked about here, and it will pop up in the exam, but not in class or in lecture videos) And there's optional 4pm-5:??pm OMM "enhancement session"
Friday - 9am Anatomy clickers ~ 10-12 anatomy lab

The clickers are graded different this year. It's no longer get 5/10 clickers wrong and fail the clicker session. All the clicker questions for the whole semester are worth the same amount of points. So if you get all the clickers wrong one day...that day isnt a fail...it's counted out of all the clickers you have that semester. Also like our friend said above...if you're acing exams...getting some clickers wrong isn't a big deal

I'm a first year student at Touro. Message me if you have more specific questions

Last edited:

hello friend, please see my post above about this years schedule.

This is an example schedule...I'm in group A (vs B) meaning I have certain classes in the morning while group B is afternoon

Monday - Exam day (day off if no exam...rare)
Tuesday - Anatomy Day~clickers 9-10am~lab 10-noon
Wed- 8-9am PD clickers ~ 9-12 PD lab (broken up into three groups sometimes...one hour each group...or whole class is together for 3 hours) ~ 1-4pm physio,biochem and histo clickers one hour each.
Thurs- 8-9am professionalism ~ 9-10am OMM clickers ~ 10-12 OMM lab ~ 1-3pm (usually ends early) histo lab... 3-4pm biochem review (optional but you may want to go if you need help with clinical vignettes. The weeks vignette is only talked about here, and it will pop up in the exam, but not in class or in lecture videos) And there's optional 4pm-5:??pm OMM "enhancement session"
Friday - 9am Anatomy clickers ~ 10-12 anatomy lab

The clickers are graded different this year. It's no longer get 5/10 clickers wrong and fail the clicker session. All the clicker questions for the whole semester are worth the same amount of points. So if you get all the clickers wrong one day...that day isnt a fail...it's counted out of all the clickers you have that semester. Also like our friend said above...if you're acing exams...getting some clickers wrong isn't a big deal

I'm a first year student at Touro. Message me if you have more specific questions

Wow @ the bolded. That's not too bad

Sinai? In NY? The only sinai I see is the one in baltimore.... and it's not the same thing. And i'm pretty sure Hopkins and Yale don't take DO. and if they do, I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon in the future.

I wrote before that Touro's internal medicine match list has mostly community programs in Jersey and NY boroughs non-Manhattan.

Yes, Sinai in NYC. (St.Lukes is part of Sinai). As well as matches at Einstein and NYU. (From my understanding NYU loves DOs for PMR). Before assuming Hopkins and Yale don't take a DO I would consider actually reading the match lists from previous years:
https://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/the-match/match-results/2014/

Last edited:

You can easily sit in the back of the class and leave whenever you want. I probably went to about 50% of clickers (sometimes I'd leave half way through or sometimes I wouldn't show up at all to a certain clicker session) and had plenty of time to study on my own. When I did go to clickers I would do flashcards or look over lecture slides in between each clicker so it wasn't a complete waste of time. It's also good to go occasionally to make sure you are staying on track and that you understand the high yield information that the profs want you to definitely know.

Also, for everyone that is considering applying please don't let these clickers get in the way of applying here. Lots of students have been complaining about them like myself in recent years and have been trying to change it so I'd hate to see someone not apply and then in a couple months find out that the clicker policy has changed. Even if the policy doesn't change it's really not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Yes, Sinai in NYC. (St.Lukes is part of Sinai). As well as matches at Einstein and NYU. (From my understanding NYU loves DOs for PMR). Before assuming Hopkins and Yale don't take a DO I would consider actually reading the match lists from previous years:
https://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/the-match/match-results/2014/

Understand that there is the main Sinai Hospital and there are community hospitals with the Sinai affiliation. UCSF, Mayo do the same thing.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. But from an applicant's perspective, saying that a few Touro students matched SINAI is a bit disingenuous when they really matched at St. Lukes.

The one student from 2014 matching at Yale matched for her Preliminary Year which can mean anything. I'm sure that's pretty cool, but when you say Matched at YALE, applicants think of that as a Categorical match. And this was back in 2014.

And where do you see the Hopkins match?

Understand that there is the main Sinai Hospital and there are community hospitals with the Sinai affiliation. UCSF, Mayo do the same thing.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. But from an applicant's perspective, saying that a few Touro students matched SINAI is a bit disingenuous when they really matched at St. Lukes.

The one student from 2014 matching at Yale matched for her Preliminary Year which can mean anything. I'm sure that's pretty cool, but when you say Matched at YALE, applicants think of that as a Categorical match. And this was back in 2014.

Check the 2013,2014,2015 match list. Talk to former Touro students now practicing. Prelim or not, I don't see why that's deemed as "bad". Depending on certain specialties such as surgery, some residencies require the first year be a prelim or trans and then you go into your "real" residency. Also, yes a few Touro students did match at SINAI. Icahn School of Medicine=Main Sinai Campus. The rest are Sinai hospitals as well. As for Einstein, NYU, and other hosptials- see for yourself on their website, you can do the rest of the research. And not to mention, several others like: Emory, Case, and others. Based on your previous posts you seem to be on the same boat as doczebra, so there really is no point in trying to convince you that our match list is pretty good. But for those considering to apply just wanted to say every class year is different but so far their match list has not disappointed me.

II just now for middletown. Is the interview for this campus only or for either campus if accepted?

I'm not exactly sure what the argument is here, but Mount Sinai St. Luke's Hospital is not a "community hospital." It's part of the Mount Sinai Health System and is as prestigious as the "main hospital." In fact, it is one of the four state-designated Level I Trauma Centers in Manhattan.

II just now for middletown. Is the interview for this campus only or for either campus if accepted?

When I interviewed at Middletown earlier this week I got the sense that I was interviewing for the middletown campus. Not confirmed though as I put no preference on my application

Check the 2013,2014,2015 match list. Talk to former Touro students now practicing. Prelim or not, I don't see why that's deemed as "bad". Depending on certain specialties such as surgery, some residencies require the first year be a prelim or trans and then you go into your "real" residency. Also, yes a few Touro students did match at SINAI. Icahn School of Medicine=Main Sinai Campus. The rest are Sinai hospitals as well. As for Einstein, NYU, and other hosptials- see for yourself on their website, you can do the rest of the research. And not to mention, several others like: Emory, Case, and others. Based on your previous posts you seem to be on the same boat as doczebra, so there really is no point in trying to convince you that our match list is pretty good. But for those considering to apply just wanted to say every class year is different but so far their match list has not disappointed me.

Preliminary matches can also mean that you didn't match into a categorical and that you have to reapply after one year. That was my point. I thought you knew that.

I stand by my original post. Your match list is what it is. It's typical of other DO schools. Let's just leave it at that.

Very interesting you are speaking from your high horse, I hope it gets you far. If I didnt know any better, I would think you were doczebra's alt account.

We are talking about Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, where we become a DO. Are you getting a DO from the school? No. Are you a medical student? No. This is why current students are considerably more important than you, and frankly, you're on the same level as everyone applying this cycle, believe it or not.

Nearly every student has said this school provides a great education, though the administration isnt fantastic. Which is the same at many schools. And probation leading to losing accreditation? Hardly, it was a one-time over-enrollment, and surprise! Other MD schools and DO schools have been on probation before too. Even "better" schools. Couple that with admins saying that's not a problem to worry about, and your post sounds like a bunch of sour grapes.

First of all good morning everyone and good luck with applications! I recall this being a very stressful and exciting time and I hope everyone gets in where they want!

For reasons I will not mention I came across this thread (current OMS4 at a different school) and thought I would make a few points that I wish I knew when I applied. I want to say I am a proud DO student and am generally pleased with the experiences I have had.

First of all, probation matters. It does not mean the school is going to shut down tomorrow, but it does mean that COCA found some problems that need further investigation that is impacting the education that the students receive. Touro is a very expensive school and it is wise to consider the value of the education you are getting-cheaper is NOT always better-- but make sure you are getting what you pay for. If you have any doubts you should not apply or accept the interview (at any program). The total cost of attendance at touro Harlem is $370,000 not counting interest in residency. That is 4,200+ a month over ten years. The average family doctor in New York takes home $10,000 a month after taxes--do the math. If you absolutely love the program Great! apply! Just makes sure you are going in with open eyes.

When applying for schools I was really focused on board scores and match lists. I really should have spent more time looking at clinical rotation sites. Do not just look at the list on the website--know how many students theses sites take and how they choose them. Having a great hospital affiliate in the city will not help you if it takes only 5 random students and you get shipped out to a community program or worse--one without residencies at all. I would say that as a DO student our relatively poor clinical rotations are what are holding us back-more PDs will accept us as potential interns if our rotations are the equivalent of US MD rotations rather than community hospitals (which I love by the way and will most likely practice at after residency) and preceptorships.

As a new applicant to ANY DO program you should understand the ACGME merger and how it could impact you. We are losing our protected residency spots. These spots are important because they not only provide us with access to specialties that are currently mostly off-limits to us in the MD world (Derm,Ortho,Optho) but also provide a safety net for those of us who do not match. While I do not imagine Harvard Medical School graduates are going to vie for our family med spots you had better believe IMGs and FMGs will. Do not be arrogant enough to think you are smarter than these student by virtue of MCAT,grades,ect--I did great on the MCAT and am only a touch above average in medical school. Look at the Osteopathic Medical Student forums here for more insight.

Just wanted to share a few points I wish I knew when I was in your shoes.

Good Luck!

Hi guys, I had received my secondary in August and am now working on the secondary (I know it's a bit after the invite but school was in the way). If I submit the secondary by around this week with the essay prompt, do you think I still have a chance?

502 MCAT and 3.73 overall GPA

Thanks for the help guys :)

hi @AirBendingTiger do you know if the harlem campus has started interviewing yet?
I think we have. Im pretty sure I saw a sign up the other day that looked like it was leading interviewees to a room (but then again I wouldn't be surprised if we left it up from last year). And I saw a person dressed up (looked like for an interview lol) being led by one of the admin ladies... So if my guesses are on point...yea...most likely

I thought I was early for interviews...but what do I know haha

post deleted

Last edited:
First of all good morning everyone and good luck with applications! I recall this being a very stressful and exciting time and I hope everyone gets in where they want!

For reasons I will not mention I came across this thread (current OMS4 at a different school) and thought I would make a few points that I wish I knew when I applied. I want to say I am a proud DO student and am generally pleased with the experiences I have had.

First of all, probation matters. It does not mean the school is going to shut down tomorrow, but it does mean that COCA found some problems that need further investigation that is impacting the education that the students receive. Touro is a very expensive school and it is wise to consider the value of the education you are getting-cheaper is NOT always better-- but make sure you are getting what you pay for. If you have any doubts you should not apply or accept the interview (at any program). The total cost of attendance at touro Harlem is $370,000 not counting interest in residency. That is 4,200+ a month over ten years. The average family doctor in New York takes home $10,000 a month after taxes--do the math. If you absolutely love the program Great! apply! Just makes sure you are going in with open eyes.

When applying for schools I was really focused on board scores and match lists. I really should have spent more time looking at clinical rotation sites. Do not just look at the list on the website--know how many students theses sites take and how they choose them. Having a great hospital affiliate in the city will not help you if it takes only 5 random students and you get shipped out to a community program or worse--one without residencies at all. I would say that as a DO student our relatively poor clinical rotations are what are holding us back-more PDs will accept us as potential interns if our rotations are the equivalent of US MD rotations rather than community hospitals (which I love by the way and will most likely practice at after residency) and preceptorships.

As a new applicant to ANY DO program you should understand the ACGME merger and how it could impact you. We are losing our protected residency spots. These spots are important because they not only provide us with access to specialties that are currently mostly off-limits to us in the MD world (Derm,Ortho,Optho) but also provide a safety net for those of us who do not match. While I do not imagine Harvard Medical School graduates are going to vie for our family med spots you had better believe IMGs and FMGs will. Do not be arrogant enough to think you are smarter than these student by virtue of MCAT,grades,ect--I did great on the MCAT and am only a touch above average in medical school. Look at the Osteopathic Medical Student forums here for more insight.

Just wanted to share a few points I wish I knew when I was in your shoes.

Good Luck!

what school did you end up picking? how could you even rank schools by their rotation? Is that even public knowledge?

what school did you end up picking? how could you even rank schools by their rotation? Is that even public knowledge?

I'm not going to out myself that easily. ;-)

These are things you should ask in the interview-- Ask current students if have any doubts.

Good luck

Current Students,

How do you feel about your rotations comparatively to other schools?

Okay so I have not recieved a secondary from this school but I just recieved an invitation for a meet and greet. Is this enough of a reason to call them and be like "where my sec app at?"

I submitted AACOMAS in June.

Hi guys, I had received my secondary in August and am now working on the secondary (I know it's a bit after the invite but school was in the way). If I submit the secondary by around this week with the essay prompt, do you think I still have a chance?

502 MCAT and 3.73 overall GPA

Thanks for the help guys :)

lol im right there with you... 502 mcat 3.82 GPA and 3.9 science.. good luck! waiting for a interview.. hopefully.

Last edited:
Are the first two years at Middletown identical to Harlem?

Are the first two years at Middletown identical to Harlem?

The first two years at Middletown are identical to Harlem in terms of curriculum and material covered. The only difference would be the instructors that you see on a daily basis. Video lectures are recorded by both Middletown and Harlem faculty and the same videos are used by both campuses.

Also just an update regarding COCA, we are currently no longer on probation

Last edited:
The first two years at Middletown are identical to Harlem in terms of curriculum and material covered. The only difference would be the instructors that you see on a daily basis. Video lectures are recorded by both Middletown and Harlem faculty and the same videos are used by both campuses.

Also just an update regarding COCA, we are currently no longer on probation

Thanks for the info.