Touro COM - New York, Middletown Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Middletown) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The interview is 2 on 1, it's pretty laid back but there may be some "good cop" "bad cop" going on so expect that. Interview day is like any other, there are presentations, tours etc. Not much to really say about it honestly you're better off just experiencing it on your own!

Thanks for your reply! When did the interview day end for you? I've got a 3 hour drive afterward and just trying to figure out if I'll catch any daylight!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your reply! When did the interview day end for you? I've got a 3 hour drive afterward and just trying to figure out if I'll catch any daylight!
No problem! I think it ended around 3 or 4 ish I honestly don't remember I was really tired by the end of it lol

I am interviewing on 11/16. I need to find a place to stay for the night before. Anyone has good suggestions ? I called the school and they said there is a Marriott nearby that has room for around $110/night with discount.....

Edit: With discount, one night there would be about $140....... are there cheaper options ?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long is everyone's secondary essay for this school? Also, will one application for Touro-NY cover both the Harlem and Middletown campuses? I know we choose one in the app, but is that more of a preference?

I am interviewing on 11/16. I need to find a place to stay for the night before. Anyone has good suggestions ? I called the school and they said there is a Marriott nearby that has room for around $110/night with discount.....

Edit: With discount, one night there would be about $140....... are there cheaper options ?

I'm interviewing tomorrow and am at the Holiday Inn Express in Chester - it was super easy to get to (right off the highway), less than 20 min from the school, free internet and fridge in room, and (best of all) only cost me $100 and change, all in. Recommended! Includes free breakfast as well.

I'm interviewing on the 16th too and I'm staying at the Super 8 Motel in Middletown (10 min drive at most from the school) just to try and save some $$$

II this pat Friday. Interview hopefully in two weeks.

"Submitted" email 9/28.

Any one have any stats for how many interviewed vs. accepted?

The interview is 2 on 1, it's pretty laid back but there may be some "good cop" "bad cop" going on so expect that. Interview day is like any other, there are presentations, tours etc. Not much to really say about it honestly you're better off just experiencing it on your own!

Did the interview day last until 4pm? and was the interview more conversational or did they have like a list of questions about research, past experiences, etc?

Did the interview day last until 4pm? and was the interview more conversational or did they have like a list of questions about research, past experiences, etc?
Yeah it pretty much ended at 4pm. It was a mix of both. They had certain questions they had written down which they asked me. Then based on my responses they would ask me to go into detail about a certain thing I talked about or a certain experience etc. A lot of the questions were the basic questions you can find online by just searching for med school interview questions or something. Like I said before there was a bit of good cop bad cop but as long as you keep your cool and try not to get thrown off by their questions you'll be fine. Just be yourself, be respectful, smile and talk about your interests passionately. That might be a bit cliche but I think that's the most important!

It would occasionally get "conversational" but then they'd go back to asking the questions they had prepared for me, some were specific to my application (MCAT score, classes, research, experience)

Reactions: 1 user
For those who were interviewed, did you hear how long it would be until they communicate a decision?

It did not come up at my interview but today is 2 weeks!

For those who were interviewed, did you hear how long it would be until they communicate a decision?

It did not come up at my interview but today is 2 weeks!

They told us anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and a half lol. A few students I asked said they heard within 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 8 pm flight at La Guardia aiport on the day of interview. Since the interview day ends around 4 pm, is there enough time for me to drive to the airport, return rental car ? (Considering traffic)

What were some of the questions that they asked for your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 8 pm flight at La Guardia aiport on the day of interview. Since the interview day ends around 4 pm, is there enough time for me to drive to the airport, return rental car ? (Considering traffic)

I feel like it's definitely doable. I got out exactly at 4 and got right on the road. You might be a little tight for time but I feel like you should have no problem getting to laguardia at around 630.
Anyone accepted yet?

No :(. My assumption based on last year's cycle proved to be inaccurate.

Just got accepted!! I interviewed November 2nd.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!!!!! Interviewed 10/26. Congrats to everyone else!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I think I sat next to you lol (judging by your seahawks pic) anyways congrats:)!!!!! Now I'm starting to get nervous :nailbiting:
Haha yeah the Seahawks pic gives me away. Hopefully you hear back soon!

If we don't get an acceptance today...does that mean we've been rejected?

Thanks man :) Quick question, was it an email or phone call?
It was an email with the subject "TouroCOM-NY Middletown: Acceptance Letter". Came through at 12:11 PM EST today

Reactions: 1 users
It was an email with the subject "TouroCOM-NY Middletown: Acceptance Letter". Came through at 12:11 PM EST today
Thank you, and congrats again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So excited to be able to say this for the first time - ACCEPTED!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted :( Heartbroken because I loved the school, but it's better than a rejection. Congrats to those accepted that is awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:

How did you guys get the secondary form and personal statement under the 0.6 MB size limit? \

Edit:
Okay I got it. There might be an easier way but this is how I did it.
1) Download the secondary form.
2) Shrink it using online pdf resizer
3) Markup the shrunken pdf with application that can markup pdf's
4) Write PS on MS Word and save it as pdf
5) Use online service to combine the two into 1 document.

Last edited:
Interviewed 10/26, and am shocked that I got accepted! I am from New York Instate (Stony Brook Area), and didnt expect an acceptance at all, but will be declining my offer didnt really like the school that much , I want to move to Florida or somewhere south, I stayed on long island enough , and dont really like the location of the school! I am deciding between LECOM-Bradenton, ACOM, or CUSOM! Hopefully my spot goes to one of you that really liked the school. Good Luck everyone! And CONGRATS to everyone who got accepted !!!

Last edited:
11/2 interview reapplicant waitlisted here. Very sad, but life goes on. Congrats to those accepted.

Anyone interviewing on Dec 7th?
I am on that day. What airport are you flying into if you're out of state? I was told Newark NJ was the closest after Stewart NY. Trying to figure out how to get from NJ to NY without renting a car. Has anyone made this trip by bus/ shuttle?

I am on that day. What airport are you flying into if you're out of state? I was told Newark NJ was the closest after Stewart NY. Trying to figure out how to get from NJ to NY without renting a car. Has anyone made this trip by bus/ shuttle?

PM me!

Anyone else interview Dec 7th feel free to PM me

Edit: spelling

11/2 interview reapplicant waitlisted here. Very sad, but life goes on. Congrats to those accepted.

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed but I know there was a lot of waitlist movement last year so just remain hopeful!

Accepted!!! Congrats to my ...is it too soon? ...future classmates!!! =D. Is there a Facebook page?

For those wait-listed, keep your head up. There's still a long time before the end of the cycle. I'm not sure if Touro allows it, but make sure to update them if you do more.

For those applying, I can answer questions until Monday (11/16/15). I'll be busy with my EMT class afterwards. =D.

Accepted: 11/11/15
Interview: 11/2/15
Interview Invitation: 10/27/15
Secondary Submitted: 09/20/15
Secondary Received: 09/18/15
Primary Reviewed ~ 08/31/15
Primary Received: 07/29/15
Primary Completed: 06/14/15

Hell yea, we need to make a facebook for C/O 2020. And for the people waitlisted, don't worry, I'm sure there will be a lot of movement as some of the accepted will choose other schools. It's just that Touro-NY has fewer seats than other DO schools available for outright acceptance. Never give up!

Does anybody know how long the traditional interview takes? and any advice/really obscure questions that weren't expected or was it all pretty typical?

Does anybody know how long the traditional interview takes? and any advice/really obscure questions that weren't expected or was it all pretty typical?

Around 30-45 minutes. They'll definitely ask the usual questions but will also directly address parts of your application that may or may not be weak.

The interview itself is 20-30 minutes depending on your interviewers. Everyone I talked to afterward had gotten different questions than me but nothing unexpected for a med school interview. Prepare to get asked ethical questions (I wasn't but a few people with different interviewers were).

I'm just going to add on to what everyone else said.

I'll try and say as much as I can without giving anything specific. I'm not sure of the rules so I don't want to take the risk. =P.

Subjects in my interview: Why osteopathic medicine?, Academic Discrepancies, Education Preparedness, Teamwork, Past Research, Affordable Care Act, Future Specialty (If it's not primary care than be prepared to explain your choice. =D. The Dean told us jokingly we should have all said primary care. Shhh...Don't tell him I didn't. ;D.).

I did get asked a few curve ball questions, but just base your answer on your past experiences. They're just checking how you think on your feet and if you understand how the healthcare field works.

G'luck!!!

For those of you who got accepted, how good did the interview go for you? Did you feel pretty good afterwards?