Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone who interviewed on 2/11/13 heard back yet?!?

Members don't see this ad.

No, my EC's are definitely not weak. I have been out of college for 5 years and have been involved in lab and clinical research since college. I have more EC's than can fit on the application so I don't think that is the problem. I do not believe that my personal statement is weak, but I guess that is pretty subjective. My weakest link is my MCAT but it appears that people with similar MCAT scores are being considered. I guess I will wait and see what happens. Thanks for responding.

Yea i dunno what they are looking for. I thought I was shoe in at this school more so than other schools and it was the only one that wailisted me. I live down the street from it and want to practice in the area after I graduate.

as per the interview day at Touro, it seems like they heavily value a 30+ MCAT score with special emphasis on the biology section

Members don't see this ad :)
as per the interview day at Touro, it seems like they heavily value a 30+ MCAT score with special emphasis on the biology section

From talking with the dean: "I only care about the bio section". According to him, this has the most correlation with how you will preform in the preclinical years. As for interviewing now and into the spring, you pretty much are interviewing for a wait-list spot. They may only be taking 1 student from every interview group. This is also because we have like 50 master students that they've already promised a spot to if they make it. But after classes are over, the wait-list tends to move fairly quickly and they generally (at least for the past 2 years) have pulled people from it up through the first week of class.

I got 12 on bio and 33 overall so it seems it must be something else about me. I remember the dean asking all of us in a group if we were accepted to other schools already and I was the only one who said they were(should have kept my mouth shut). I wonder if that had an impact...

I got 12 on bio and 33 overall so it seems it must be something else about me. I remember the dean asking all of us in a group if we were accepted to other schools already and I was the only one who said they were(should have kept my mouth shut). I wonder if that had an impact...

They may know this information already. Adcoms talk its a small world. Had you lied, they may have known. What's your verbal score and did you have anyone read your PS? Those are the two things I can see only hurting someone if they are weak.

They may know this information already. Adcoms talk its a small world. Had you lied, they may have known. What's your verbal score and did you have anyone read your PS? Those are the two things I can see only hurting someone if they are weak.

Breakdown was 12B 11P 10VR. My PS was read by a bunch of people including someone on adcom at NYU and by a friend who is a press secretary for a congresswoman...they all loved it. My LOR's were very strong as well..the people I interviewed with all commented on their strength. Only weak part of my app was my gpa..aacoms sgpa:3.0 cgpa:3.3

Does anyone know if Touro has standard patients training and/or simulation training?

Does anyone know if Touro has standard patients training and/or simulation training?

We have both. SPs start with Physical Diagnosis year 1, and continues through 2nd year. The simulation course now is an elective open to 2nd years only. I think eventually they may incorporate it into the curriculum, but not as of now.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!

Interviewed the 4th and accepted the 19th!!!! DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!

I'm considering applying to more schools, obviously it's pretty late in the game but touros deadline for submitting the amcomas and secondary are in March and April. I'm an NJ resident, 29 Mcat 3.8 gpa.

Is there any chance for me to get an interview if I apply?

I'm considering applying to more schools, obviously it's pretty late in the game but touros deadline for submitting the amcomas and secondary are in March and April. I'm an NJ resident, 29 Mcat 3.8 gpa.

Is there any chance for me to get an interview if I apply?

There is always a chance. Definitely a small one at this point. You would interview for a waitlist spot and they will probably already being dishing out acceptances to people that are already waitlisted by the time they waitlist you.

hi everyone. I am currently a first year at tourocom ny. as you'd imagine, I dont exactly have loads of time to monitor the forums, but if you pm me, ill be happy to help anyway i can. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how many spots have been filled? anyone know anything about the wait list?

check last years thread starting around april and go from there. They talk about it a lot.

There are some new factors that may affect the admissions process this year compared to last year, like Hurricane Sandy and a new director of admissions. Just some things to keep in mind.

Has anyone tried to email admissions lately? Tried a few days ago and no response.

Has anyone tried to email admissions lately? Tried a few days ago and no response.

did you use the new method? the director of admissions sent out an email defining how exactly to send emails

if you still don't hear back you should just call and talk to mr. issa sow or mr. ruiz

As of 1/28, they had filled 70 seats out of 135. I am not sure how far behind they are in interviewing, but I know of another 2 dates of interview (the upcoming two Mondays), and each date has 2 sessions. Don't know how many more dates after that there are.

Good luck!
Could you tell me how you know about the 70/135?

I have an interview next Monday March 11th. Initially after going through these forums I felt like I was going to be interviewing for a wait list spot. Your post tells me otherwise, which is why I wanted to know more about it.

I have an interview next Monday March 11th. Initially after going through these forums I felt like I was going to be interviewing for a wait list spot. Your post tells me otherwise, which is why I wanted to know more about it.

You also have to keep in mind the space reserved for masters students

Also many of those 70 could hold multiple acceptances and decide not to go there.

Just wondering if anyone has tried to communicate with admissions lately. Tried email, in the new format, tried calling, and emailing mr sow directly and still nothing. Any ideas?

I just called them, went right through to Mr. Sow
I suggest calling in the morning, or late in the afternoon (between 3-4pm), they seem most likely to answer the phone around that time.

Mr. Sow is very responsive and emails/calls to him are returned promptly. Looking forward to an interview here, even if its for a waitlist spot! Anyone have any interview advice? I know its panel of interviewers, and I've heard they can grill you, but just wondering what other people's take on it was.

Mr. Sow is very responsive and emails/calls to him are returned promptly. Looking forward to an interview here, even if its for a waitlist spot! Anyone have any interview advice? I know its panel of interviewers, and I've heard they can grill you, but just wondering what other people's take on it was.

My experience was nothing like this.

It was, by far, the most friendly and relaxed interview that I attended. It was very conversational and we discussed aspects of my application. The format wasn't a panel for me and was conducted by two interviewers. That being said, it doesn't mean you should go in all low-key... know you stuff, your strengths, elaborate on why you're a good fit, and be confident. Getting grilled can be great though -- you can take that opportunity to show you're cool under pressure and calmly and succinctly answer their questions.

This was just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. Check out the interview feedback section on this website, it's invaluable.

Good luck!!

I wouldn't say that they grill you per se, it's pretty much basic questions about your file (it is open file). However, everyone has a different experience, and the extent that they go into your file really depends on the interviewers. I know some people who were asked very specific questions in their file, and a few [lucky] others that weren't asked as many questions; so, if you have any bad grades or didn't do as well on MCAT, be prepared to explain why.

I also wouldn't worry about what you may have read on here about it being a stress interview. It really does depend on the interviewers, and each person that interviewed during my session had different experiences. Also, I feel that if you go in there feeling like you have to be on the defensive, you are apt to panic and not do as well. Just be yourself and be confident.

All in all, it wasn't too bad. You should enjoy it, and don't psyche yourself out. One more thing, talk to the people that are interviewing at the same time with you, they might be of some help. You'll probably exchange emails with everyone, and who knows, they might be your future classmates.

This

So, first off,
Congratulation to all who's gotten in so far and best of luck to those who are waiting!
I've been accepted on November and paid my deposit right away then.
I haven't heard back from them about submitting vaccination stuff all that goodness.
Can anyone shine a light on this matter?

Thanks!

So, first off,
Congratulation to all who's gotten in so far and best of luck to those who are waiting!
I haven't heard back from them about submitting vaccination stuff all that goodness.

Thanks!

Word on the street is that we should be receiving more material within the next couple weeks.

If you have a Facebook, I suggest you join the group. People are posting updates and info they hear from admissions pretty regularly on there. Congrats!

So, first off,

Thanks!

On the same page. Paid everything back in November. Hoping to get more "paperwork" from them soon.

Anyone know how their health insurance works? When exactly it would start? Anyone else in the same boat of deciding whether to get COBRA from their job the summer before they start school?

As of March 11th, 88/135 were filled with approximately 40 reserved for the masters program. Anyone aware of or is registered for future interview sessions? If yes, were you given the option for morning/evening sessions?

As of March 11th, 88/135 were filled with approximately 40 reserved for the masters program. Anyone aware of or is registered for future interview sessions? If yes, were you given the option for morning/evening sessions?
I am interviewing on 3/18 at 1:00. Well based on those numbers, it looks like I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot...

I was really impressed by this school. Everyone was energetic, welcoming, and it really felt good being there. The area actually made me feel very at home, and they have this great itunes lecture/pbl curriculum that honestly seems like a perfect balance. Also, if you get contacted for an interview, definitely go, you won't regret it.

I believe he said 43-45 expected for masters, but obviously its a rough number that may go down, but most likely will not go up.

I am interviewing on 3/18 at 1:00. Well based on those numbers, it looks like I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot...

Don't feel bad, I think we did too.

Yeah Mr. Ruiz definitely said 45, but I rounded down to 40 to make us feel somewhat better haha.

Dude, go to this interview. Give it your best. Waitlist or not, you never know<--- that is the honest truth.

Anyone know how their health insurance works? When exactly it would start? Anyone else in the same boat of deciding whether to get COBRA from their job the summer before they start school?
Have you called the school yet?

Still haven't gotten anything in the mail from the school yet. Anyone?

The forum from this year looks very different from that of last year! Around this same time, people were posting about their wait-list letter and analyzing the specific wording of their cryptic messages. I am still waiting to hear from my interview of last week so I don't have anything new to post yet. I'm surprised others aren't posting about their decisions.

The forum from this year looks very different from that of last year! Around this same time, people were posting about their wait-list letter and analyzing the specific wording of their cryptic messages. I am still waiting to hear from my interview of last week so I don't have anything new to post yet. I'm surprised others aren't posting about their decisions.

wait list movement prob won't start until mid-april

Have you called the school yet?

Called Touro and they were very helpful, then spoke to the health insurance provider -- They said they don't have an official start date for the policy yet, but it's "typically the first day of classes".

Also, according to the health insurance provider, taking the summer anatomy course does *not* count as matriculated, so the policy will not be in effect during that time. :thumbdown:

Hope this helps.

PHP:
No one got any matriculation info? Class FB said was supposed to come out beg of March/round this time:confused:

I called today and spoke with Mr. Ruiz. He told me that 1 person recently got off the wait list and that he anticipated more movement after May 17th. He told me that there is a second tuition deposit deadline around then and that the master's program seats will open up then too.

I interviewed at Touro COM on March 11, 2013. For anyone who has been accepted there ... how did they notify you? By e mail or snail mail? Thanks.

FYI some matriculation data came via email (just immuno, insurance, registration, etc)