Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it true what they say about Touro and the biology section of the MCAT ? They won't look at you unless you have a 10 or above?

I had a 9 on my MCAT and got in so I guess there is hope. (PS 10, VR 9).
GPA 3.7 SGPA 3.85

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know how Touro COM NY looks at MCAT retakes? do they only look at the most recent score? or do they avg the two scores? or do they take the highest from each sections...i have taken the exam twice. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how Touro COM NY looks at MCAT retakes? do they only look at the most recent score? or do they avg the two scores? or do they take the highest from each sections...i have taken the exam twice. thanks in advance.

They look at the highest composite score from one exam.

They look at the highest composite score from one exam.

oh okay...thats good... i did better on my retake so i was just hoping that my first attempt at the MCAT doesnt get averaged in or something. thank you! :)

Has anyone heard anything at all?...I was looking at the TCOM-NV threads and there is so much more communication...

Has anyone heard anything at all?...I was looking at the TCOM-NV threads and there is so much more communication...

Nope :-( Just what I posted earlier from my conversation with Mr. Ruiz on Friday:

Regarding the wait list: I spoke to Mr. Ruiz this morning. He indicated that there has been very little movement this year on the wait list. He said this week he only called two people. He did say that the committee gets the list of wait listed students (I meant to ask how many students are on the wait list, but I forgot) and they give him four students to call. If those four all have accepted seats somewhere else and do not want to accept to Touro COM, then it goes back to the committee and they give him four new names.

He did say that there is still hope.

Nope :-( Just what I posted earlier from my conversation with Mr. Ruiz on Friday:

Regarding the wait list: I spoke to Mr. Ruiz this morning. He indicated that there has been very little movement this year on the wait list. He said this week he only called two people. He did say that the committee gets the list of wait listed students (I meant to ask how many students are on the wait list, but I forgot) and they give him four students to call. If those four all have accepted seats somewhere else and do not want to accept to Touro COM, then it goes back to the committee and they give him four new names.

He did say that there is still hope.

I spoke with Mr. Ruiz yesterday and he said there were 71 kids on the waitlist total. He said the same thing about there being little movement. I still am hopefull because more people will decline the offer the later into the summer.

I spoke with Mr. Ruiz yesterday and he said there were 71 kids on the waitlist total. He said the same thing about there being little movement. I still am hopefull because more people will decline the offer the later into the summer.

I truly hope that is the case! 71 seems like a lot of people. I wonder if there are people who are accepted to more than one place and still trying to decide where to actually go.

we'll see been tough this year

Last edited:
I truly hope that is the case! 71 seems like a lot of people. I wonder if there are people who are accepted to more than one place and still trying to decide where to actually go.

That is one possibility. I think the real reason is allopathic medical schools taking kids last minute who enrolled in schools like Touro. One allopathic school can cause a cascade of a series of events, which makes this process so complicated.

That is one possibility. I think the real reason is allopathic medical schools taking kids last minute who enrolled in schools like Touro. One allopathic school can cause a cascade of a series of events, which makes this process so complicated.

As long as I get accepted, I don't care about the reason other kids left ;-)
There is still time. Has anyone on the wait list started applying again for the next admission cycle?

Just a message to those on waiting list still:

Stay strong and keep your phones open, I am serious about this. I know friends that received calls two-three days before classes were about to begin. If they can't reach you they just move down the list.

One person got called by our old director the day before orientation. Also people drop out during orientation as well, so let them know if you haven't heard anything that you are still interested in coming.

In the first few weeks of school, people take offers from other places and just leave. I have seen this happen, so stay strong and pray!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your strong words of encouragement! I really do appreciate it. And my phone does not leave my side, ever, out of fear of missing that coveted phone call!

Have you already been accepted??? If so, congratulations!

Thank you for your strong words of encouragement! I really do appreciate it. And my phone does not leave my side, ever, out of fear of missing that coveted phone call!

Have you already been accepted??? If so, congratulations!

I am a 4th year actually. But I know your position and was in the same place 3yrs ago. I got my call few days before in the evening. A friend got their call on a saturday and we were starting on monday. Was a great feeling:) Good luck!

The anxiety never ends! ;-) I'm really excited about their teaching style at Touro. Did you feel it was more beneficial than lectures in undergrad?

Just withdrew my seat here. So, Good luck everyone.

It is a great school, I love its lecture style and curriculum, faculty and facility are great as well. They have very nice simulation labs. Overall, Touro-NY tops other DO schools I visited for interviewed. Great location, strong record of match since their first class. I think Touro gives you a lot opportunities to match in top teaching hospitals in the east coast.

I wish I could attend here yet there are other reasons for me to stay in my home state.

The anxiety never ends! ;-) I'm really excited about their teaching style at Touro. Did you feel it was more beneficial than lectures in undergrad?

After the first year like a lot of my classmates, I stopped going to lectures and just studied on my own using iTunes lectures and recorded lectures. I wouldn't sit there for 8hrs and come home go study again. After a semester or so you will find what works for you, just keep doing that and get past the preclinical years.

That sounds like a good plan. What about the OMM labs? Do you still go to those, or are those just for the first year?

Spoke with admissions this morning and the guy I spoke with said that the waitlist is not expected to move at this point.

I wouldn't count yourself out yet. I spoke to him too and he said their roster is finalized. That still can't stop people from leaving after orientation. There are at least a few seats left to work with if we count people who leave a week into the program. Emil said to even be prepared for something two week into the year. I am still hopeful because NY has a ton of medical schools people want to go to.

I just got invited for orientation. Two people including myself got deferred acceptances for 2014 and priority waitlist for this cycle. At least I can say I am accepted!!!

That's great news!! Congratulations!! How do you know there are two others?

Last edited:
That's great news!! Congratulations!! How do you know there are two others?

There are two total including myself. They invite two to audit with the expectation they will continue off the waitlist. If by chance the class does not shrink, we have the option to defer admission. My guess is there could be even more than two openings. But they can only comfortably accommodate two for the audit program.

We shall see. I haven't given up hope yet! ;-) Maybe they'll call me for that second spot. Unless they already called that second person I guess.

The important thing is to not give up hope. I never planned to be in my situation and have a deferred acceptance. This could be the first year they are doing this Audit Opportunity. Emil Ruiz was very clear and he said he wants two people to audit for the first week. He called me and wanted a formal agreement to participate. In previous years, they probably have had at least 2 people drop out during this first week. I looked at the orientation packet and they are getting the ball rolling fast with Anatomy on Wednesday. I will keep you everyone posted on anything I learn on Monday.

I greatly appreciate it! Luckily I've taken A&P before, so if I did get a late call, I wouldn't feel too behind. That is very interesting about the audit program. I am curious if they have done this before or not.

Good luck Monday!!

Spoke to Mr. Ruiz. He said he will be sending out e-mails once they officially close the admission cycle to let everyone know. It will be in approximately two weeks.

Mr. Ruiz also already got 1000 + apps so get yours in soon for next year. The waitlist is still on pause.

I have a 3.3 cumulative gpa / 3.0 science gpa / 24 MCAT. I have LOTS of volunteer and community service hours (>200, 104 in the hospital), 30 hours of shadowing including both MD and DO, and one summer of research.
Do I have any chances with Touro COM NY? What about other DO schools? What schools would I definitely be eligible for?

I'm really worried...

Hello, I will be finished a Master's in Applied Physiology at Columbia U in May with nearly straight A's. On the side, I decided to finish Medical requirements but taking Organic and MCATs as I completed all others during undergrad. Do you think a Masters degree in a field related to osteopathy would have a lot of weight in my application process?

Hello, I will be finished a Master's in Applied Physiology at Columbia U in May with nearly straight A's. On the side, I decided to finish Medical requirements but taking Organic and MCATs as I completed all others during undergrad. Do you think a Masters degree in a field related to osteopathy would have a lot of weight in my application process?

Not really. The nearly straight A's in your masters will be some weight though.

Yeah i agree with scokraz that the Masters degree in osteopath will not have any weight in application process , but yes i think the nearly straight A's will help you a little in your application process.

Hoboken NJ Locksmith