Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYIT-COM

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rookie mistake (unless you're from LI or have family there. Then cant blame you)

Members don't see this ad.

According to CIB, there is a drug test. Not sure when, though.

IIRC way back in my day (2009) they said there would be a drug test too, but they never bothered to administer it. you'll notice this a lot. There are a lot of policies dictated by Touro Downtown (the college main campus) that the medical school states they will do, but then just quietly ignores if it seems silly. Now they may very well go through with the drug test.... but it was done more for the show of saying they will do it back in 2009. I dont remember it ever being collected or requested.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if TOURO offers interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

Acceptance with a 3.5 GPA and a "pass" on a comprehensive exam at the end of the academic year.

Has anyone who submitted their medical forms that were due last week heard confirmation back yet? I sent my forms in the middle of February and I have yet to hear back from Ms. Copeland, wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? I called her office last week and she told me she was going to look at them last week and I should hear soon, but I don't want to spam her office. Thanks guys and gals

Has anyone who submitted their medical forms that were due last week heard confirmation back yet? I sent my forms in the middle of February and I have yet to hear back from Ms. Copeland, wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? I called her office last week and she told me she was going to look at them last week and I should hear soon, but I don't want to spam her office. Thanks guys and gals
I haven't submitted mine because I got an extension, but I called yesterday and Sean told me that the deadline was extended to March 18 for the medical forms. I haven't seen it posted here, nor did I receive any notice via email.

I haven't submitted mine because I got an extension, but I called yesterday and Sean told me that the deadline was extended to March 18 for the medical forms. I haven't seen it posted here, nor did I receive any notice via email.

Oh wow is the march 18th extension for everyone then? I got mine extended til march 13th originally but was still nervous about getting it all in by that date.

I interviewed on 3/3, wondering if anyone else felt the interview day here was unorganized and had long waiting periods?

Withdrew my interview. Hopeful for those still waiting. Tough to give up the opportunity to interview here.

Good luck to all of you interviewing tomorrow :)
How are you guys traveling with your suit?
I just watched some videos on how to nicely pack your suit in a luggage. But why bother if you can hang it?
Do flight attendants take your suit and put it in the closet for you? Even if you're just flying coach seat?
Thnx for your answers in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just watched some videos on how to nicely pack your suit in a luggage. But why bother if you can hang it?
Do flight attendants take your suit and put it in the closet for you? Even if you're just flying coach seat?

If you're flying on those small regional jets, there are no available closets.

I've been using a suit canvas and I just stuff it in the overhead cabin area. It's worked out fine.

I walk in the plane like what up I got a big c*** holding my suit on a hanger in a plastic covering. Then they automatically take it and put it in the closet for me. Works every time. Also, I flew coach.

Reactions: 2 users
To those who have interviewed, how much time was actually spent being interviewed? Also, aside from the why Touro, why Harlem, why DO questions... Are there any other standards I should be prepared for? Were there any stress questions? Do they ask a lot of questions about previous research experience? My interview is on Monday and I would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance.

To those who have interviewed, how much time was actually spent being interviewed? Also, aside from the why Touro, why Harlem, why DO questions... Are there any other standards I should be prepared for? Were there any stress questions? Do they ask a lot of questions about previous research experience? My interview is on Monday and I would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance.

It was a pretty relaxed interview. There weren't really any curve balls. If you go on the interview section here, those questions should cover most of it.

I heard one faculty member and one administrative member interview you. Is this true?
If so, do they spend 30 mins with you each or combined?

I heard one faculty member and one administrative member interview you. Is this true?
If so, do they spend 30 mins with you each or combined?

I had two faculty for 30 minutes. They interviewed me simultaneously.

I agree about the interview being relaxed. They didn't throw me any curveballs or even ask about my grades.

GOOD LUCK!

Oh wow is the march 18th extension for everyone then? I got mine extended til march 13th originally but was still nervous about getting it all in by that date.
I'm not sure about that, but I didn't ask anything about it.

Really depends who you interview with. I was the last in my group and all three students said it was "high stress" interview. Questions were being thrown pretty quickly with curt responses from the interviewers. Being a non-trad myself and working in a stressful environment made it easier, so you should have no problems man. Explain poor grades, as I had to explain one poor semester during my father's illness, which they understood. Like some others have stated, know why DO. I kinda flipped the "Why Harlem" question on them a la "Leon". Thought the interview went well, and got my acceptance by email about a week or 2 later. PM me if you have any questions.

I know that its beyond late in the process but I was thinking of applying here. Anyone have suggestions?

I walk in the plane like what up I got a big c*** holding my suit on a hanger in a plastic covering. Then they automatically take it and put it in the closet for me. Works every time. Also, I flew coach.

This:horns:

For those of you interviewed on March 5th:
How many of you were there?
Did they tell you how many spots were still open?

This worked on Alaska Airline. I'm gonna try Delta now.
Thnx, Vagitarian.

Accepted! Email came Friday 3/7, after I had interviewed only 2 days earlier, Wed 3/5. Is there a FB page?

Just finished my interview... Emails go out on Friday. Now to play the waiting game.

Reactions: 1 users
The interview was a bit stressful but it went well;) It was my first so that might have skewed my feelings about it. They definitely seemed very invested in their students. There was a lot of focus on the faculty having been selected for being true educators rather than just physicians and pHds teaching on the side. I got the sense that this was true.

Just got an II from here. Complete on 11/12. cGPA: 3.73, sGPA: 3.74, MCAT: 26

Reactions: 2 users
also got an invite! but it was from a week ago and I forgot to respond....

7izjj.jpg

Last edited:
Nope... still waiting and it's brutal... trying to keep positive.

Nope... still waiting and it's brutal... trying to keep positive.
They close at 2pm on Fridays. So I guess we will hear back in an hour and a half?
Positive. Positive. Positive.

I just got a straight up rejection letter.
It really breaks my heart cuz I really really liked this school. But again, positive, positive, positive.
Here I come class of 2019!!!

Good luck to all of you still waiting for an answer
and congratulations to all of you that got accepted!!!

I just got a straight up rejection letter.
It really breaks my heart cuz I really really liked this school. But again, positive, positive, positive.
Here I come class of 2019!!!

Good luck to all of you still waiting for an answer
and congratulations to all of you that got accepted!!!

Same here... straight rejection:( maybe next year.

Same here... straight rejection:( maybe next year.

Why not try for their masters program? You'll take classes with the MS1's with guarantee spot for 2019 class if u meet their 3.5 criteria.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I am new to studentdoctor and am very grateful for all the info I could get from my fellow DO candidates! I have recently been accepted to both LECOM-SH and TOURO-Middletown and need to send in my deposit by end of this week but I am really have a tough time to decide which one to go with as they are BOTH satellite campuses (which makes me worried about the quality of education being not as good as the main campuses... and the fact that I have not been to either of the two campuses kinda make me hesitate...) Any comment would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi everyone,

I am new to studentdoctor and am very grateful for all the info I could get from my fellow DO candidates! I have recently been accepted to both LECOM-SH and TOURO-Middletown and need to send in my deposit by end of this week but I am really have a tough time to decide which one to go with as they are BOTH satellite campuses (which makes me worried about the quality of education being not as good as the main campuses... and the fact that I have not been to either of the two campuses kinda make me hesitate...) Any comment would be greatly appreciated! :)

LECOM is def the more established school out of the 2, but Touro's reputation is increasing exponentially (They had the highest MCAT score out of all the DO schools). Also LECOM SH is all PBL whereas Touro is more of a lecture/pbl hybrid. The facilities are brand new in Middletown and alot of the Harlem professors are going to teach in Middletown
TLDR, I would choose Touro