Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when I had trouble receiving my secondary app materials, it took me nearly two weeks, 4 phone calls, and 3 emails to get it corrected. all I can say is good luck lol, you'll probably have to keep calling over different days until u reach someone that can help. they gave me that same answer a few times until I got help

I got an II on the 13th but could not make any of the dates offered because they were either too short of notice to get off of work or was out of state for other interviews. Its been almost two weeks and i haven't even been able to schedule my interview despite multiple attempts to contact them.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students or premed students list the pros and cons of Touro Harlem? I'm trying to weigh this shool against another. Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the secondary invite/II relationship this year? Similar trend to past years where it seems like a secondary almost guarantees an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in! Interviewed 11/10, just got the email

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 11/10 as well. Just got my acceptance!

I got the email around 12:30. Still reading it to make sure it's real.

oh god, I interviewed 11/10 at harlem.

No email yet. this feel bad/ominous.

Come on please I just want to know already.......

Accepted just now!!!! First acceptance!

Edit: Accepted to the Harlem Campus

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Interviewed 11/5 Harlem. Now have to decide ASAP!

Accepted!
Interviewed 11/12
Not really into the flipped curriculum and lack of harlem/nyc rotations, but liked the family/school community atmosphere.

Anyone having trouble submitting the deposit? I can login but after I login there is no "Select QuikPAY from the Menu." theres no menu at all. I might just write a check and run over to the post office before they close.

Accepted!

I have a few questions that I wanted to know before making a decision:
1) What is the average step 1/COMLEX score (not pass % rate)
2) What is done for board preperation? Is there a formal class and when/how much time are students given time off to study
3) How many students do DO vs MD match and how many match into each?
4) Is there a rank between each class and are classes P/F?

If anyone can answer some (or all ) of these questions that would be very helpful. I know that some of these questions have been mentioned on interview day/ prior posts but I can't seem to find them!

Thank you in advance!!!!

Accepted!

I have a few questions that I wanted to know before making a decision:
1) What is the average step 1/COMLEX score (not pass % rate)
2) What is done for board preperation? Is there a formal class and when/how much time are students given time off to study
3) How many students do DO vs MD match and how many match into each?
4) Is there a rank between each class and are classes P/F?

If anyone can answer some (or all ) of these questions that would be very helpful. I know that some of these questions have been mentioned on interview day/ prior posts but I can't seem to find them!

Thank you in advance!!!!
I know that the classes are NOT p/f; they have traditional letter grades.

Its actually really awesome they answered right before thanksgiving.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Not sure
2) You are supplied with Kaplan material, but there is no formal class. Ideally the curriculum will help with preparing you for the boards. Second year classes finish up the end of May and rotations start in July, so COMLEX and USMLE should be in June.
3) I'm not sure what the breakdown is currently, but most AACOM and ACGME residency programs will be merged by 2019 and all will be ACGME by July 2020. Again, that means COMLEX and USMLE for OM Students at this point.
4) Grades are A, B, C, F and you are given your rank.

woa, thats pretty terrible.

edit:

I just discussed this with an Ms-2 at Harlem campus. Their ms-2 classes and last test happens at the end of April. There are a few obligations for a few orientations and whatnot in early May, but the schedule allows for a full 6 weeks of board prep and a break before rotations in July.

Their ms-1 classes run longer past the end of April.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the secondary invite/II relationship this year? Similar trend to past years where it seems like a secondary almost guarantees an II?.

I'm wondering the same thing. I would love an II from Touro middletown….I'm from an area with a very similar feel as Middletown and its a top choice for me!!

woa, thats pretty terrible.

edit:

I just discussed this with an Ms-2 at Harlem campus. Their ms-2 classes and last test happens at the end of April. There are a few obligations for a few orientations and whatnot in early May, but the schedule allows for a full 6 weeks of board prep and a break before rotations in July.

Their ms-1 classes run longer past the end of April.

wow thanks guys! really appreciate it !
@DO@36in2018

what do you mean by " means COMLEX and USMLE for OM Students at this point." Sorry, what does OM mean?

Oh, just writing sporadically. A lot of Ostopathic Medical Students (OMS) are taking both exams these days.

haha gotcha! thanks for clarifying! I'm still a little confused on what the merger will actually mean for when applying to residencies. If everything will be under ACGME wouldn't there also be one unifying standardized test as well. And an obvious osteopathic portion as well for OMS students or anyone wishing to apply to DO residencies. its still all very confusing to me haha

just out of curiosity how was long did you guys who got an ii wait after submitting a secondary? im OOS submitted a while ago and i havent heard anything yet...not sure if i should just give up on this school or what lol

just out of curiosity how was long did you guys who got an ii wait after submitting a secondary? im OOS submitted a while ago and i havent heard anything yet...not sure if i should just give up on this school or what lol
Did you receive a complete email? I submitted my secondary on Oct 23, received a complete email on Nov 10, got an interview invite on Nov 11, and interviewed on Nov 24. It took about 3 weeks from my secondary submission to an interview invite. My preferred campus was Middletown though, so that may also cause difference in response time.

I know this is kind of stretch but would any current student (first or second year) be willing to let me "shadow" them for the day. I have been accepted but would really like to attend lecture/ talk with some current students/get a feel outside of interview mindset before submitting my deposit.

I know its nearing finals so I completely understand if no one is up for it! I was hoping to come in on Monday or Tuesday of next week (12/8 or 12/9). Feel free to message me, thanks!

I know this is kind of stretch but would any current student (first or second year) be willing to let me "shadow" them for the day. I have been accepted but would really like to attend lecture/ talk with some current students/get a feel outside of interview mindset before submitting my deposit.

I know its nearing finals so I completely understand if no one is up for it! I was hoping to come in on Monday or Tuesday of next week (12/8 or 12/9). Feel free to message me, thanks!
Test day is Monday every week just so you know

Reactions: 1 users
Did you receive a complete email? I submitted my secondary on Oct 23, received a complete email on Nov 10, got an interview invite on Nov 11, and interviewed on Nov 24. It took about 3 weeks from my secondary submission to an interview invite. My preferred campus was Middletown though, so that may also cause difference in response time.

I'm wondering the same thing. I got an email November 10th saying my secondary was received. Is this the same thing as the complete email? however I didn't submit my secondary until November 2nd. I'm IS also and middletown only.

Has anyone complete in november gotten an II for Harlem campus? Just wondering what applications they are reviewing currently.

I'm wondering the same thing. I got an email November 10th saying my secondary was received. Is this the same thing as the complete email? however I didn't submit my secondary until November 2nd. I'm IS also and middletown only.
The complete email I've received states the following:

Your ApplyYourself Application and Supplemental Application Materials have been received.

Your Application will be reviewed in the order in which it has been received. Once your Letters of Recommendation are received and processed, your application package will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for Interview Consideration.

The Admissions Committee will make a collective decision to select candidates for interviews based upon each applicant’s credentials.

And I received an interview invite the day after this email. I think maybe there are some delays with the Thanksgiving holidays. Hopefully you hear back from the admissions soon.

i did get a completed interview...i think i said my preferred campus was harlem but i wasnt picky. are you IS? cuz i think thats why they got back to you fast i heard the NY touros have a huge IS preference

i did get a completed interview...i think i said my preferred campus was harlem but i wasnt picky. are you IS? cuz i think thats why they got back to you fast i heard the NY touros have a huge IS preference
Not too sure bout the in state thing. There were a couple of Californians on my interview day including myself..and it was the first day.

I am an international student but I do have quite a high MCAT so that may factor in their fast interview invite.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from my 11/17 interview... I can't stop checking SDN to see if anyone's heard. If the trend sticks we should hear by Wednesday afternoon.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from my 11/17 interview... I can't stop checking SDN to see if anyone's heard. If the trend sticks we should hear by Wednesday afternoon.

Has no one heard back from 11/17 interview date yet? I interviewed that day and got accepted last wednesday I wonder how they are sending out acceptances

I heard back last Wednesday as well via e-mail.

I interviewed at Middletown and am expecting a response tomorrow based on the timeline with the last interviews. It's hard waiting.

I interviewed at Middletown and am expecting a response tomorrow based on the timeline with the last interviews. It's hard waiting.
I interviewed the same day morning session. Hopefully we get some good news tomorrow. .

This is just my opinion so feel free to disregard, but this seems like the type of school where they review each interviewee separately and put a lot of thinking into who they accept/reject. From past posts here it seems like some people received their status' the 2-3 weeks after interviewing, while others it was much sooner and still others it was later. Though it can be frustrating, I'm taking this to be a good sign that this school is putting a lot of thought into creating their upcoming class, and doesn't treat applicants like a number like some other schools do.

has anyone with below a 29 mcat received an ii??

Hey, all. Any idea how frequently interview invites come out? I'm only complete a few weeks, but I'm starting to get anxious. Really want one!