Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Of course, but I'm not attending "NYC DO";

Of course; that's not the issue. This issue is that I am attending Touro COM- New York and not "NYC DO." How could anyone ever find the group when the school's name isn't even in the group's name?
Oh didn't see that. Not sure but I'm in the middletown group so no discrepancy there for me

Members don't see this ad.

Of course; that's not the issue. The issue is that I am attending Touro COM- New York and not "NYC DO." How could anyone ever find the group when the school's name isn't even in the group's name?

Seems like Touro does not allow students to create Facebook groups using their name unless faculty are added into it. Picked this info up on last year's thread...

I was just wondering, has anyone received any additional information about enrollment? I was accepted and deposited in early November and the letter said we would start receiving stuff in January. I know it's still really early in January but was just wondering. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering, has anyone received any additional information about enrollment? I was accepted and deposited in early November and the letter said we would start receiving stuff in January. I know it's still really early in January but was just wondering. Thanks!
I'd want to know the same! Excited to receive any news about Touro, even if it's about financial aid :)

Reactions: 1 user
anyone interested in renting a place in middletown. I'm looking for a few students to get a place walking distance to the school. After staying in the dorms before the interview and talking with two of my friends that go there now the dorms are convenient just because you don't have to find a place if you dont have a family but they do not offer a kitchen in the entire dorm there are shared showers and the rooms are quite small. personally Id prefer to have my own place and not live on cafeteria food for the grind of med school to come. message me here if your interested. I know some people are still waiting on other schools and everything but let me know if you would be interested.

I'd want to know the same! Excited to receive any news about Touro, even if it's about financial aid :)
Haha same here! I was thinking it will probably be an email saying Hey, give us more money by may! But I really just wanted to get something hahaha. Incredibly excited as well to just start medical school!!

Haha same here! I was thinking it will probably be an email saying Hey, give us more money by may! But I really just wanted to get something hahaha. Incredibly excited as well to just start medical school!!
Totally agree with you! I'm just overall excited for what's to come. Hoping an email comes soon :)

I'm canadian, any input on what I can do for rent? The last time I tried to lease an apartment in USA, 99% of places outright refused due to lack of credit history. The remaining options were either in the ghetto or extremely over-priced!
Canadian here too, I've heard it's really tough so you gotta find a roommate that is American. I'm wanting to get a single apartment, so not sure how that will work out :s

Anybody hear what the interviewee to acceptee ratio is? Or at least what it's been historically?

Canadian here too, I've heard it's really tough so you gotta find a roommate that is American. I'm wanting to get a single apartment, so not sure how that will work out :s
Do you guys know how the neighborhood around the school is? And what area do students usually choose to live in?

Anyone current Harlem or prospective Harlem students know about the opportunities to conduct research with Harlem/Touro at large as a medical student?

So, I have a bit of a situation. After originally receiving the secondary, I submitted it very quickly, like the following day, in October. I never received a complete e-mail so I e-mailed them to make sure it was received and they confirmed it had been added to my packet to be reviewed. Last week I received another e-mail from admissions saying that they had never received my secondary. I called their office and on the phone with them I made sure they finally received it and got the confirmation e-mail today that it was being forwarded to the committee.

Is there any way to make sure they know that this was a technical error? I had forwarded the original e-mail with the date and the response from the admin, but I doubt the committee will see or be informed of this. I'm just worried this ruined my chances

Anyone current Harlem or prospective Harlem students know about the opportunities to conduct research with Harlem/Touro at large as a medical student?
During my interview I asked this question and they informed me that there are opportunities. What they are, I honestly forgot hahaha. But then they kept telling me that, "We want our students to really focus on grades and the first summer you get will be the only summer so enjoy it" Sorry I couldn't provide more information

Members don't see this ad :)
During my interview I asked this question and they informed me that there are opportunities. What they are, I honestly forgot hahaha. But then they kept telling me that, "We want our students to really focus on grades and the first summer you get will be the only summer so enjoy it" Sorry I couldn't provide more information

That's perfect; thanks! Just pondering if it's worthwhile for me to go to the interview after my recent LECOM-Erie acceptance. I think survey says yes.

That's perfect; thanks! Just pondering if it's worthwhile for me to go to the interview after my recent LECOM-Erie acceptance. I think survey says yes.
In my personal opinion, I would say yes all the way hahaha. Looking at Harlem vs Erie (location wise), I would choose NYC, but that's just personal preference. I don't really like pbl system but the curriculum in Touro NY is not really traditional either, because you don't attend lectures. Instead they are all pre-recorded and you attend clicker sessions where you basically do clinical application off what you learned through watching lectures on your own time. They do this to basically reduce class time and you end up being in classes only ~19 hours a week. After looking at lecom PBL system, I just didn't think it was a right fit for me.

Reactions: 1 users
The neighborhood by the school is actually the best in the area so that works out for anyone with a family. Short commute and a great neighborhood. I'm considering buying a house even because I know it will rent easily when we move.

The neighborhood by the school is actually the best in the area so that works out for anyone with a family. Short commute and a great neighborhood. I'm considering buying a house even because I know it will rent easily when we move.
Are you taking about Middleton or Harlem?

Accepted to harlem and I have paid the first deposit to secure my seat.

When should I move to NYC?

When do people start looking for roommates?
Does TouroCOM SGA have a find-a-roomate program/website???

Coming from Los Angeles.

I'm canadian, any input on what I can do for rent? The last time I tried to lease an apartment in USA, 99% of places outright refused due to lack of credit history. The remaining options were either in the ghetto or extremely over-priced!

Look for buildings with a lot of international students at Columbia, they tend to be much more lenient. I only know of one such building - 1 Morningside Drive (it's called Avalon, I believe) but there must be more of them

Does TouroCOM have an accepted student/second look day?

Accepted to harlem and I have paid the first deposit to secure my seat.

When should I move to NYC?

When do people start looking for roommates?
Does TouroCOM SGA have a find-a-roomate program/website???

Coming from Los Angeles.
That's probably a good thing to bring up on the facebook group, its run by SGA apparently.

Does this school do silent rejections? I sent my application months ago, but never received the secondary (and don't expect to get one at this point).

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate this, thanks bud. is there a word/character limit?

and yeah I would take a 4 hour wait... 2+ weeks not so much lol.

It took over a month and a half for me to receive the essay supplemental after paying the $200.

It took over a month and a half for me to receive the essay supplemental after paying the $200.

lol that's insane. should have called them! I got it worked out and ended up getting accepted. have you had any luck?

lol that's insane. should have called them! I got it worked out and ended up getting accepted. have you had any luck?
I didn't even know that there was an essay until I got the email otherwise I definitely would have called, and no not yet, I haven't submitted it yet, planning on doing that this week, I'm pretty behind with this school. And congrats !!!

I didn't even know that there was an essay until I got the email otherwise I definitely would have called, and no not yet, I haven't submitted it yet, planning on doing that this week, I'm pretty behind with this school. And congrats !!!

thanks! but ah man sorry to hear that, that's brutal. I hope it works out for you. if I can help at all, let me know!

Seems like Touro does not allow students to create Facebook groups using their name unless faculty are added into it. Picked this info up on last year's thread...

Solution: Get a friend who isn't a Touro student to create the group. Can't punish 'em if they don't even go here!

II this afternoon! So happy. Couldn't be happier! Still hope, guys.
Good luck! I interviewed at Middletown and it was very relaxed and to the point. There was a lot of waiting time to talk with other candidates. I got my acceptance 16 days after the interview.

Anyone accepted who has outstanding pre-requisites (english in particular). You need a B in 2 different english courses prior to matriculation correct?

hey guys- i know this has been addressed a couple times in this thread but I'm still confused. Im interviewing in Middletown on Monday, but I think I'm more interested in Harlem. It's possible for me to get a separate Harlem interview? Should I address this on Monday or will that make me look uninterested in Middletown?

hey guys- i know this has been addressed a couple times in this thread but I'm still confused. Im interviewing in Middletown on Monday, but I think I'm more interested in Harlem. It's possible for me to get a separate Harlem interview? Should I address this on Monday or will that make me look uninterested in Middletown?
I am not fully sure about this but if it was me, I would not mention my interest in Harlem at the Middleton interview. I would do whatever I can to get accepted into the Middleton campus, and then call the admissions in Harlem after being accepted, staying that your were accepted to Middleton but would much rather go to Harlem. That way they will see that you are a week versed candidate but really interested in their (Harlem) program.

anyone interested in renting a place in middletown. I'm looking for a few students to get a place walking distance to the school. After staying in the dorms before the interview and talking with two of my friends that go there now the dorms are convenient just because you don't have to find a place if you dont have a family but they do not offer a kitchen in the entire dorm there are shared showers and the rooms are quite small. personally Id prefer to have my own place and not live on cafeteria food for the grind of med school to come. message me here if your interested. I know some people are still waiting on other schools and everything but let me know if you would be interested.
Im glad you brought this up! I was in the first intv day group and I had to leave right b4 the tour of the dorms so i havent even seen them. If u happen to find a building or like apartment near by that youre fond of please pass along the info cause im rly if-y on the shared shower situation and lack of kitchen thing too. Thanks!

Hey, after you submit a secondary, how long did it typically take to get an interview invite? I really want to go to Tourocom in Harlem...

Hey, after you submit a secondary, how long did it typically take to get an interview invite? I really want to go to Tourocom in Harlem...
Takes about a couple of weeks or longer depending on the admissions to complete your applications. Time till ii really depends on how competitive you are. I know someone who got an ii the day after his application was complete, while others wait for weeks to months for an ii. I like to think a good MCAT (30+) with average GPA would get you an ii faster.

Im glad you brought this up! I was in the first intv day group and I had to leave right b4 the tour of the dorms so i havent even seen them. If u happen to find a building or like apartment near by that youre fond of please pass along the info cause im rly if-y on the shared shower situation and lack of kitchen thing too. Thanks!
I was in that interview group as well I was am though and dont remember anyone leaving early but i might have just missed it if you were in that group as well

Does any one have hotel suggestions for the Harlem campus? Interviewing in a few weeks.

Hey accepted students...anyone receive the follow up email that's supposed to be sent sometime in January?

anyone contact addmisions to find out when or how much more we need to put in?

and this all gets credited towards tution correct?

anyone contact addmisions to find out when or how much more we need to put in?

and this all gets credited towards tution correct?

http://tourocom.touro.edu/admissions--aid/tuition--fees/

The website "Tuition & Fees" section has this tidbit of information.
  • Tuition Deposit: An additional payment of $1,000 is due by May 15th. This tuition deposit is refundable if notice of cancellation is made prior to or on the first day of mandatory orientation. Upon matriculation, the entire $3,000 is applied toward the total tuition.

Anyone recently get an II from middletown recently? Been complete since November and feel like its a silent rejection :(

I was in that interview group as well I was am though and dont remember anyone leaving early but i might have just missed it if you were in that group as well

I was in the '2nd' session, but I think it started at like 10am so I said 'day' sry!
We didnt get a tour from students b/c they were going into their histo exam, but the faculty gave us an impromptu tour and the dorms sort of got stuck on at the very end even after we had all said goodbye. I think someone might have asked to see them, but I didnt get a chance so Im going in blind so to speak lol

Hey accepted students...anyone receive the follow up email that's supposed to be sent sometime in January?

Nothing for me either. Its still early though =)

Anyone recently get an II from middletown recently? Been complete since November and feel like its a silent rejection :(
what are your stats? ECs decent?

3.4gpa, 26 mcat, 180 hours of lab research, 120 hours shadowing, 70 hours as leader of a club. Is it my MCAT thats holding me back?

3.4gpa, 26 mcat, 180 hours of lab research, 120 hours shadowing, 70 hours as leader of a club. Is it my MCAT thats holding me back?
Likely yes, although they have accepted someone with a 26 so far (or more than 1, not sure on that part). But they will be interviewing well into the spring.