Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, the last interview for this cycle is 2/4. I'm hoping that they at least send out emails regarding those who interviewed In January/February by next week. The suspense is killing me.

Did you confirm this with admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the name of the Director of Admissions at TouroCOM (Harlem)?

Hey Guys,

Sean Anderson, the interim director of admissions at TOURO-Middletown, mentioned that there were still ~60 seats left when I interviewed on 1/14/2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you confirm this with admissions?

Sorry, I should clarify. The interview scheduling email that I received showed dates until 2/4. They should reach decisions on these interviews soon. If they do not fill, they will surely have another round of interviews. By cycle, I meant this batch of interviews.

Sorry, I should clarify. The interview scheduling email that I received showed dates until 2/4. They should reach decisions on these interviews soon. If they do not fill, they will surely have another round of interviews. By cycle, I meant this batch of interviews.

Thanks for clarifying. Good luck with your upcoming interview!

Reactions: 1 user
I am interviewing on 2/4.... I really do hope there are spots in Harlem....

I called admissions and they said everything has been pushed back with the weather.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!! Touro Middletown acceptance just now. Interviewed 1/14

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!! Interview at middletown on 1/14. So excited!!

Accepted to Touro Middletown 30 mins ago :) Interviewed on 1/21. First interview and I'm so excited now!!!! Good luck to everyone interviewing this week :-D

Congrats, all! Please send me some good juju for Harlem admissions. Fingers crossed here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a school store at Middletown to get sweatshirts, etc?

Accepted 1/26 interview. My first medical school interview.

Congrats. Harlem or Middletown?
I interviewed at Middletown. How about you? Where else you apply to? I have not yet heard of anything from the other schools, pcom, nycom, lecom, Rowansom, CUSOM. My school forgot to send out one of the required letters from the science professors. PCOM admission emailed me and told that my application was incomplete due to missing one of the recommendation letters. So, I called my school and then they submitted very late november. I think that was the reason why I still have not heard anything from the other schools I applied to. They even charged me 20 dollars for putting my letters in a pack...... sigh......

congrats on the newly accepted students https://www.facebook.com/groups/383881318447567/requests/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_r2j
facebook group i put together for middletown

also message me if you want to look into renting a house nearby the school I still looking for people who would be interested before i give up and just settle with the dorms

Ideally it would be in that neighborhood walking distance to the school but I am trying to get a handful of students so the price would be comparable to the rent of the dorms.

question for those who have had an interview at the harlem campus - I am not quite understanding the 2014 match list that they gave us on interview day. There are three separate 2014 match lists, but is any information redundant (why couldn't they extrapolate it into one)? What is the class size exactly? thanks.

question for those who have had an interview at the harlem campus - I am not quite understanding the 2014 match list that they gave us on interview day. There are three separate 2014 match lists, but is any information redundant (why couldn't they extrapolate it into one)? What is the class size exactly? thanks.
I was honestly really confused about it as well, if I were you, I would just look at the list thats online. The class size is only 135 students, and while I was there during the interview, I counted about 200 students on the list. When I asked about it, no real response was given to me so rather than push it, I just accepted it as the list. However, online the match list is pretty concrete in that its only ~107 students for last year's class. I would use that one.

I was honestly really confused about it as well, if I were you, I would just look at the list thats online. The class size is only 135 students, and while I was there during the interview, I counted about 200 students on the list. When I asked about it, no real response was given to me so rather than push it, I just accepted it as the list. However, online the match list is pretty concrete in that its only ~107 students for last year's class. I would use that one.

Hm.. Do you mind posting the link to their online match list? I went on the AACOM website and found that Tourocom NY graduated 126 students in 2014 (uploaded file). If the online match list (107 matches) is correct, I guess this would mean that Tourocom NY had a match rate of around 85% in 2014. Do you know if this is a good match rate? thanks

Attachments

• 2013_14_GRADgender-1.xlsx
    30 KB · Views: 61
Hm.. Do you mind posting the link to their online match list? I went on the AACOM website and found that Tourocom NY graduated 126 students in 2014 (uploaded file). If the online match list (107 matches) is correct, I guess this would mean that Tourocom NY had a match rate of around 85% in 2014. Do you know if this is a good match rate? thanks
The matchlist I found was directly on their website. http://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/the-match/match-results/. Also, I am not a medical student yet, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what is good from what isn't. From my interview at LECOM Bradenton, they had about a 98-99% match rate, so showing 85% doesn't seem to look as good. I counted again and its definitely 107. This match list could exclude certain people, not sure why though. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

The matchlist I found was directly on their website. http://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/the-match/match-results/. Also, I am not a medical student yet, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what is good from what isn't. From my interview at LECOM Bradenton, they had about a 98-99% match rate, so showing 85% doesn't seem to look as good. I counted again and its definitely 107. This match list could exclude certain people, not sure why though. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

The separation between the three lists is just three different ways of organizing it, if I remember correctly. One is by specialty, one's by hospital, etc. Just three ways to look at it it seems?

For the whole match rate thing... I read here that there was a 98% match rate for those 'eligible to match' (not sure what that means). http://www.touro.edu/news/press-releases/tourocom-students-land-residencies-.php

To be honest, Touro seems like a great school. Fairly new, so people are less sure of how things work, but from the students I talked to, everyone feels like they're getting a solid education.

The separation between the three lists is just three different ways of organizing it, if I remember correctly. One is by specialty, one's by hospital, etc. Just three ways to look at it it seems?

For the whole match rate thing... I read here that there was a 98% match rate for those 'eligible to match' (not sure what that means). http://www.touro.edu/news/press-releases/tourocom-students-land-residencies-.php

To be honest, Touro seems like a great school. Fairly new, so people are less sure of how things work, but from the students I talked to, everyone feels like they're getting a solid education.
Oh yea, I completely agree with you on that one, saying that its a great school. I apologize if my post came off as looking as a negative towards Touro, since I will 98% chance be attending Touro Harlem as a first year student this coming July. From what I have seen, I love everything about the school. The flipped-curriculum giving us more study time, but still having "accessible lectures" so that we are not just reading and learning by ourselves. The location of the school being in NYC, and the amount of growth with the school in general. For being such a new school, I think its doing fantastic in regards to match lists, and board score rates. On top of that, the dean was incredibly transparent, being that when we talked to him, he told us some pitfalls the school is having but showed incredibly enthusiasm as to the school becoming better and better, and we will be the next class that will help build the reputation of the school. I can wait till school begins, but at the same time, I can't wait to become a medical student at Touro
...I think my last line came across as a little cheesy :laugh:

I thought I was never going to hear back from this school, but lo and behold, I received a II yesterday. They have interview dates available all throughout February and March (at least on my Email) so hopefully I get an early one!

I wanted to know objective facts though before I choose between schools. Also, there is a new medical being planned in north NJ, about 15-20 minutes or so from NYC. http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-medical-school-planned-for-new-jersey-1421287546 I don't see any new hospitals being built, so it's becoming a bit of a concern that there are so many new medical schools being built in and around NYC. Which schools get to have which rotation sites? I am very impressed by the match list that Touro provided, but I wish they would just upload an online version of their comprehensive match list. I think the one on their website currently shows which hospitals their graduates have gone onto for residency, not how many graduates went to which hospital.

Back to my original question of why they gave us three different match lists.. first of all after looking at it again I think the lists were misprinted. I believe it's really two different lists, one sorted by program and one sorted by state. I don't think it makes that much sense that they would put the same data in different format, especially since each list doesn't match up in terms of number of individuals listed, but oh well. Does Touro have a second look day for accepted students?

I wanted to know objective facts though before I choose between schools. Also, there is a new medical being planned in north NJ, about 15-20 minutes or so from NYC. http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-medical-school-planned-for-new-jersey-1421287546 I don't see any new hospitals being built, so it's becoming a bit of a concern that there are so many new medical schools being built in and around NYC. Which schools get to have which rotation sites? I am very impressed by the match list that Touro provided, but I wish they would just upload an online version of their comprehensive match list. I think the one on their website currently shows which hospitals their graduates have gone onto for residency, not how many graduates went to which hospital.

Back to my original question of why they gave us three different match lists.. first of all after looking at it again I think the lists were misprinted. I believe it's really two different lists, one sorted by program and one sorted by state. I don't think it makes that much sense that they would put the same data in different format, especially since each list doesn't match up in terms of number of individuals listed, but oh well. Does Touro have a second look day for accepted students?
In regards to the new school, I don't think its going to really affect us in terms of rotations. Remember, their class is not going to start rotating until we graduate.

I interviewed at Middletown. How about you? Where else you apply to? I have not yet heard of anything from the other schools, pcom, nycom, lecom, Rowansom, CUSOM. My school forgot to send out one of the required letters from the science professors. PCOM admission emailed me and told that my application was incomplete due to missing one of the recommendation letters. So, I called my school and then they submitted very late november. I think that was the reason why I still have not heard anything from the other schools I applied to. They even charged me 20 dollars for putting my letters in a pack...... sigh......

Sorry! That's heartbreaking. I want to be in ny, so I only applied to nycom (from your list). Radio silence from them to date!

That's why we use interfolio

How much pushed back? Hopefully we hear back by the end of the week? Heard nothing today. It's been 2 weeks

Did you interview in Harlem or Middletown? Interviewees from 1/21 and 1/26 Middletown interviews already posted on here that they were accepted.

I thought I was never going to hear back from this school, but lo and behold, I received a II yesterday. They have interview dates available all throughout February and March (at least on my Email) so hopefully I get an early one!

That's great!! Congrats :))
When were you complete if u don't mind? I'm waiting to hear back myself.

That's why we use interfolio
Haha, I would have used interfolio, but my school boated about how convenient they are in helping students prepare their application. I should have not used them. Now, I am much more relieved, knowing I got accepted by one school right now. By the way, where you are offered acceptance? Also Touro. Congrats. We are all going to be medical students this coming september and wearing scrubs studying human anatomy in the first semester. :);):bow::hello::claps:

Haha, I would have used interfolio, but my school boated about how convenient they are in helping students prepare their application. I should have not used them. Now, I am much more relieved, knowing I got accepted by one school right now. By the way, where you are offered acceptance? Also Touro. Congrats. We are all going to be medical students this coming september and wearing scrubs studying human anatomy in the first semester. :);):bow::hello::claps:

See you in Harlem!

That's great!! Congrats :))
When were you complete if u don't mind? I'm waiting to hear back myself.
Well, I applied and did their online application (?) in the end of September. Then on 12/19 I got the supplemental materials packet email and I sent it on the same day.
When were you complete? Looks to me like this is all a crapshoot.

Well, I applied and did their online application (?) in the end of September. Then on 12/19 I got the supplemental materials packet email and I sent it on the same day.
When were you complete? Looks to me like this is all a crapshoot.

So I got my complete email saying they received my supplemental application 12/8, and nothing since. I called admissions 2 weeks ago and was told that I'm still under review. Agreed on crapshoot thought...

Rejected! It's okay, I thought I had been rejected silently already. :p

I never received a complete email either and I submitted early December.
Did you submit your LORs thru interfolio?

I dont remmber what I used. I was complete in august

Any hotel recommendations for the middletown campus?
I stayed at Super 8 in Middletown. It's really close (about 10 minutes drive) to the campus and the Middletown train station (walking distance). It's also significantly cheaper compared to most other hotels like Holiday Inns, though it's a bit old.

100% complete since 12/9, haven't heard anything back... What to do??

Sent an email the 21st, they just told me I was under review. Call again?
I would hold off on calling them since they will give you the same generic response of "still being reviewed". Did you choose both campuses or Harlem only on your application? The Harlem class is likely almost or already full at this point while Middletown being a new campus still has some spots left. You will very likely receive an II from Middletown very soon since Touro screens pre-secondary quite rigorously.

I did both. I think preference for Harlem but both is okay? Something like that