Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an interview invite from Middletown! Completed app in December

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten into Harlem in January or February? If so, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 1/26 and have not heard anything. They told us it would be 4 weeks. I am feeling impatient!!
Very reassuring to read this! I interviewed few days prior and also haven't heard.

What are you talking about? One year at touro-com for tuition is not 80,000$.

Their estimate for tuition (~$45k), room, board, miscellaneous, travel, books, and loan fees was $78k per year.

I think that Columbia's program is only available if you have work experience (I am a graduating senior, though you may have experience). I am also interested in this question because I have been accepted at Columbia Mailman School of PH for the 2-year Biostatistics program, but I am interviewing at TouroCOM next week! Not counting my eggs before they hatch, but it would be a tough decision for me, because I definitely want to be a physician, but Mailman is a great program.
I'm a bit a non-traditional so I have work experience...but in the business world! So not sure if that would be great, haha.

Good luck at your Touro interview! Maybe it is possible to do the MPH sometime during medical school, and the 1 year program instead? Either way I'm sure whichever route you take, you'll find a way to achieve both :)

Their estimate for tuition (~$45k), room, board, miscellaneous, travel, books, and loan fees was $78k per year.

Sure, but that isn't significantly different than most schools in that range. The OP made it seem like tuition was 80k. Tuition at some other schools alone is high 50's. Yes COL is more expensive in new york, but it is relatively balanced by the cheaper tuition.

I interviewed 2/4 at Harlem, and was just waitlisted :(! I really want to go to TouroCOM! Does anyone know how this waitlisting works and how I can still get in?

Touro-COM NY was my first acceptance and I paid my deposit, however I will very likely be picking a different school over it. Out of respect for other applicants, i personally will be pulling my acceptance in March, once i have loans and such finalized for the other school.

To those on waitlists, don't worry too much, there is a good chance you will be pulled - there are plenty of people in my shoes who will very likely go elsewhere. This is common at most schools, because of all the people with multiple acceptances - and they can only go to one place.

Have faith and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got invited to an interview at the Middletown campus.

Does anyone have any interview advice or know what types of questions they ask? Just background info about me or some "what would you do?" questions?

Wow, I'm so glad I wasn't the only one.. So many red flags!! and this is coming from someone who was recently accepted for the Middletown campus.

Less than stellar clinical rotation sites/affiliations. No 3rd or 4th year programs centered on-campus. Poor atmosphere of the school, cafeteria was empty, library was empty, study rooms were empty. Where was everyone?? Literally the only people I saw were the student-tour guides. It was as if they strategically placed themselves in specific rooms that they knew where the next group would be going. All the off-campus student-tour guides hated living off-campus, but the facilities aren't the best. In one of the dorm rooms, there was a stink bug by the window sill. Also the rooms are all singles, which is good for privacy, but everyone's door was closed. I didn't see a soul walking down the hallway or even in the bathroom. Also no lunch, I was starving!!! I had breakfast at 6 am before starting my drive to Mtown, and I didn't get to eat again until 2 after the interview.

The biggest red flag: one year at this school costs $80,000!!! WTF! I always knew it was expensive, but when you think about all the above mentioned details about this school, in addition to the fact that its a newer school/campus in a rural area, it's ridiculous! It is so difficult for me to imagine that anyone would pay full price for this school unless their parents are well-off or if they literally weren't accepted anywhere else...

That said, I do think that there are some nice things that Touro does offer to its students. The facilities are very new, the sim lab is awesome!!!, and just about every faculty member I met was super cool and cares about the school. I had a great interview and felt that I made a great impression on my interviewers.

I have been waitlisted at a few other DO schools and one MD school, so I was super excited to finally be accepted somewhere, but I am really hoping to be accepted elsewhere. Having graduated from a big middle-tier expensive private school where no one talks to each other and everyone graduates with a mountain load of debt, I don't want a repeat; been there, done that!

Even though I am grateful for the acceptance, I feel like I am still playing the waiting game - waiting for my financial aid package that is...
\

I just want to point out that there is only one year of students there in an empty full sized hospital that is being converted into a school so of the 135 students that were there I'm sure it did seem empty.
also if you interviewed on a Monday like I did its test day so I'm sure the students where trying to avoid the groups

45k for tuition is rather cheap living costs and books and everything puts it at 80 which is pretty normal from the school I've looked at.

when I had my interview i was told they were working on rotations site with the hospital in Middletown but haven't secured them yet because they don't have any 3rd or 4th year students yet.

I was accepted back in November and am extremely excited about the school and the rural area and everything. I've actually declined interview invitations to other schools because I'm very set on going here. To be honest I genuinely hope you both get in and decide to go somewhere else because I can't imagine how miserable the school year would be with students who base their interview experience on what they were served for lunch.

Reactions: 4 users
\

because I can't imagine how miserable the school year would be with students who base their interview experience on what they were served for lunch.

This is a gross misrepresentation of the concerns expressed by the other students. You definitely choose to have selective reading when making your evaluation.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys believe I have a chance at "middletown" with a 24 MCAT???

Secondary provided - 11/26/2014
Secondary submitted - 02/22/2014 (I work full time as a clinical research coordinator and 2 other jobs... hence the delay :(.... )
Completed - 02/27/2014
II - 02/27/2014

Wish me luck! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Middletown takes lower mcats so maybe if everything else is stellat

Paid my deposit but will be withdrawing from my acceptance here. Good luck to all that are still waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks :) You may also be interested in Dartmouth's program - it is the only one-year MPH not requiring healthcare work experience that I have come across. My friend is completing her MPH there now and highly recommends it (she's going MD next year, applied this cycle), and a doctor who came back to my undergrad went there after completing her DO at Rowan. Of course, depends if the one-year is appealing enough to choose Hanover over NYC, if you like city.

I know that some schools are more lenient than others about post-poning a year after offering an acceptance, but I don't know about TouroCOM.
Oh I didn't know that! I am looking to stay in one spot though, to remain closer to husband & our dogs ;) also moving can be such a pain. But worthwhile to look into, for sure...

Just got invited to an interview at the Middletown campus.

Does anyone have any interview advice or know what types of questions they ask? Just background info about me or some "what would you do?" questions?
I was given a chance to explain weaknesses and describe my research. The only unique question was how I handle a diverse environment (which was part of the secondary application essay question).

Hi guys, I finally got a background check from AMCAS, but I'm not sure which school it was from. Do you guys know if we have to complete a separate background check through AMCAS (if the school participates in it) for each school we accepted? Or it's just one background check and AMCAS will distribute it to all the schools?

Does anyone know the specific secondary screening cut-offs such as GPA and MCAT to receive a secondary from TouroNY? Also, is this a school that accepts the majority of those they interview?

thanks

Does anyone know the specific secondary screening cut-offs such as GPA and MCAT to receive a secondary from TouroNY? Also, is this a school that accepts the majority of those they interview?

thanks
TouroNY prefers high MCATs (I've read that 27 is the minimum and that was my first score and I received a secondary app afterwards).

thanks

I had a 26 MCAT and got a secondary app

This is a gross misrepresentation of the concerns expressed by the other students. You definitely choose to have selective reading when making your evaluation.
Coming from the person who only quoted the last part of what I said

Can anyone tell me how their interview experience was? I have my interview in a few days and want to prepare. Is it true they do a good cop bad cop kind of interview?

Can anyone tell me how their interview experience was? I have my interview in a few days and want to prepare. Is it true they do a good cop bad cop kind of interview?
100% good cop bad cop. In mine at least. Know your strengths and weaknesses in your application and be able to talk about them. one will try to poke holes in your application and the other will try to guide you to defend it.

Reactions: 4 users
100% good cop bad cop. In mine at least. Know your strengths and weaknesses in your application and be able to talk about them. one will try to poke holes in your application and the other will try to guide you to defend it.

Thanks so much for your response! I'm going to prepare for the worst. So anxious and excited to get through it! :)

Has anybody heard back from the 2/11 interview at middletown?

Has anybody heard back from the 2/11 interview at middletown?
I interviewed at Middletown on Feb 2 and was accepted on Feb 23 so it might be later this week or next week for you to get your decision.

I interviewed at Middletown on Feb 2 and was accepted on Feb 23 so it might be later this week or next week for you to get your decision.
Thanks. Hopefully soon! And congratulations!!!

Both of my interviewers were really nice. Asked about my app and a lot of follow up questions. Very conversational. Didn't ask about any weaknesses. Asked one question about serving a big Hispanic community (I had told them I know very little Spanish). Good luck!

Hello,
Has anyone received a decision from 2/11 harlem campus interview?

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 4th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 4th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?
Definitely apply because Touro screens the primary app heavily and prefers high MCAT scores like yours. I got accepted with a lower GPA (although graduate GPA) and a 31. The Harlem campus is likely full at this point though.

Last edited:
Never self-reject.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an ii for the Middletown campus! Anyone whose lived in or lives in Middletown, what did you think of the area?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an ii for the Middletown campus! Anyone whose lived in or lives in Middletown, what did you think of the area?

I grew up 10 minutes down the road. PM me any questions you have.

Received an II today for Middletown. Must say I'm a little surprised, as a Canadian I figured by this time most international seats would be full...

Would be very grateful for any suggestions and advice!

Received an II today for Middletown. Must say I'm a little surprised, as a Canadian I figured by this time most international seats would be full...

Would be very grateful for any suggestions and advice!

how did you get your interview invitiation?

snail mail or email?

Just speculation, but $200 is a lot of money and I think a fair excuse for waiting so long after receiving a secondary (unless your "extenuating circumstances" are even more convincing).
I'll agree that you should submit it ASAP if you plan to, based on my next comment --

I was told by the director of admissions today that the Harlem campus is almost full, and they are mostly interviewing for waitlist spots. However, the waitlist is moving pretty quickly and it is not ranked (they review the list every week).
On behalf of all those waitlisted so far -what do you mean the waitlist is moving pretty quickly? Are people actually starting to get accepted off the waitlist?