Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on 3/2 Touro-COM Middletown & just received my acceptance email today!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary cost for this school is more than the cost for me to put down a deposit to hold my seat at RowanSOM. That's crazzzzzy. Why are they so expensive?! Lol

Reactions: 1 user
It is my impression that they want students that really want to go to their school and feel the flipped curriculum would work for them. So that extra monetary contribution helps to let them know you are serious (and it contributes to tuition). Personally, I didn't mind paying the deposit, and I'm excited to attend here next year!

I think she was referring to the $200 secondary app fee, which is higher than any other school in the country I believe.

Interviewed 2/23. Accepted 3/5. oGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.4 Graduate GPA 3.8 MCAT 30

Very comfortable interview process. Friendly admissions staff. The admissions director is casual, laid back and amicable. Anatomy labs are state-of-the-art and better than some that I have seen in allopathic medical schools. They're really trying to spread their roots and pushing for research sites in Orange County Regional Medical Center (the new medical center in the area) and other institutions. Your only issue would be the location - which is quite isolated but nevertheless possesses all the amenities you would need.

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/25. Wait listed today for the Middletown campus. Keeping my head up though!

Can anyone tell me how their interview experience was? I have my interview in a few days and want to prepare. Is it true they do a good cop bad cop kind of interview?

I think it really depends on which pair of interviewers you get. My interviewers were very relaxed and good conversationalists who seemed interested in what I had to say (or were kind enough to pretend to:)).

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/25. Wait listed today for the Middletown campus. Keeping my head up though!
Definitely keep your head up. Sean Anderson told my interview group that last year about 75% of the waitlist applicants were eventually accepted. Remember that TouroNY prefers people with high MCAT scores so many accepted applicants might be accepted to MD schools in May or later.

I think it really depends on which pair of interviewers you get. My interviewers were very relaxed and good conversationalists who seemed interested in what I had to say (or were kind enough to pretend to:)).
Thanks for your response! I had my interview yesterday. It wasn't bad at all. The faculty was very friendly and welcoming. I was little nervous and think I rambled a little bit in my interview though. I hope it did better than I thought!

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from Harlem. Interviewed 2/4

Is TouroCOM's curriculum systems-based or discipline-based? Also is there a link that describes TouroCOM's curriculum? The schedule?

anyone here can tell me the name of the Director of Admissions for the Harlem Campus , and his/her email address please? thinking about sending in a letter of interest

Has anybody received the immunization forms or financial aid information yet?

Can anyone interviewed at the Harlem campus elaborate on the interview a bit..what kind of questions do they like to ask you? The basic why osteopathic medicine or why touro? Anything that threw you off guard? This is my 1st interview and i really dont know what to expect :( my nerves are kicking in..plzz let me know what to expect..thanks to everyone who answers

Can anyone interviewed at the Harlem campus elaborate on the interview a bit..what kind of questions do they like to ask you? The basic why osteopathic medicine or why touro? Anything that threw you off guard? This is my 1st interview and i really dont know what to expect :( my nerves are kicking in..plzz let me know what to expect..thanks to everyone who answers
Its actually been stated multiple times in this thread previously. Just know your application very well, because anything is game. Usually speaking, they will go with a good cop/bad cop routine. If you have any red flags in your application, be sure to elaborate. I got fairly lucky, and both my interviewers were very conversational, but I have heard others who have experienced the good/bad cop routine. Also know the typical answers to questions such as Why D.O.?/Why Touro?/Why Harlem? During my interview, they also asked me what I thought the biggest problem in the healthcare field. I know people that also got questioned on the Affordable Healthcare Act, so be sure to brush up on that as well. Good luck!

Awww thanks to everyone who's talked about their experience...this will allow me to be better prepared

Those exact questions (why osteopathic & why touro) and she followed up with "well, can't you get that at an MD school?" which I was a little unprepared for. At least I could back up the fact that I only applied DO. They also asked me about my research, which for me is my main extracurricular.

That being said, the interview was by far the shortest I have had. I think it was around 15 minutes total (the rest of the day being the tour, info session, etc). A few people on here have mentioned the "good cop, bad cop" thing, which I would agree with, and suggest making an effort to be very confident even if it seems like one of the interviewers is not impressed with you.

By the way: the entrance is two little blue doors. It is a great facility inside, but at first I was a little confused.
I think the highlighted is INCREDIBLY important, if you start to fumble, just take a deep breath and gather yourself. Just be confident in yourself and you will be ok!

I'm withdrawing my acceptance here, so someone else can get accepted. Good luck to all

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview invite for Middletown!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite at Harlem today! First avail date is March 16th :)

Interview invite at Harlem today! First avail date is March 16th :)
Congrats for the interview!!Btw, did you do anything extra that you think helped you get the ii ? Like maybe a letter of interest or something like that?

Hey guys I just got accepted into Touro Harlem! I had a question about where to live though. I was looking at places in Harlem and the surrounding area and the rent prices are astronomical. Would it be ok if I moved like 45 minutes from the school to an area in White Plains or something near there? Is it necesssary to live close to the university besides for traveling late from class and the library and such? Thank you!

do you think I have a chance at middletown with a 24 MCAT?
Touro NY prefers high MCATs. My suggestion would be to take the new MCAT (even in August is ok for the Middletown campus) and apply the next cycle. Touro NY seems to be a bit delayed in their interviewing schedule.

I had an interview at middletown and i'm waiting for response. Does anyone know how to try to get an interview at harlem too? Does anyone have any experinece with this. I am scared to call and ask as i don't want it to affect my admissions decision. I don't owna car and I don't see how I can live in middletown/go to school there without one.

Can any current students reassure me that I will be okay without a car?
One person at the school said you basically need a car or you need to know someone who owns a car.

Also i'm very concerned about healthy eating as Middletown is not located near any whole foods or organic grocery stores and I read a comment that the cafeteria only serves fried foods. I emphasize exercise and diet very much and I need to be near a gym and healthy food stores.

Can any current students/accepted students reassure me on this front as well?

Just received an email with a form for the second deposit for Harlem campus

Reactions: 2 users
was recently accepted at my top choice DO program, so looks like ill be withdrawing from here. I wish you all the best of luck, and have fun with my 2 grand Touro! :p

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone that had already gone to the interview share the agenda for the interview day? Any chance of getting out early? Due to some circumstances I have to catch my flight very soon after the interview. Pretty worried that Im not gonna make it to the airport on time ><

reschedule your flight, if you can.
it seems like it would look bad to try to rush out of your interview

Reactions: 1 users