Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone that had already gone to the interview share the agenda for the interview day? Any chance of getting out early? Due to some circumstances I have to catch my flight very soon after the interview. Pretty worried that Im not gonna make it to the airport on time ><
I had an afternoon interview, my day went from 10:30 - 4:30 (I believe we finished earlier than that). It's basically intro talk, talk with the dean, tour, interviews, lunch. Maybe if you call the school and let them know you might have to leave early, they can somehow accommodate you, interview you a bit earlier/ahead of someone that doesn't have a time constraint. Call and ask!

Members don't see this ad.

I had an afternoon interview, my day went from 10:30 - 4:30 (I believe we finished earlier than that). It's basically intro talk, talk with the dean, tour, interviews, lunch. Maybe if you call the school and let them know you might have to leave early, they can somehow accommodate you, interview you a bit earlier/ahead of someone that doesn't have a time constraint. Call and ask!

Thank you! I will call them tomorrow morning!

Members don't see this ad :)
any ideas on chances for a URM female, 3.17 sgpa, 3.47 cgpa and 25 mcat? Got their secondary a month or two ago..

Was anyone else told that a health advisor letter would not be accepted and that you must have two science instead of the advisor/committee letter??? This is currently my situation.

Was anyone else told that a health advisor letter would not be accepted and that you must have two science instead of the advisor/committee letter??? This is currently my situation.

did you not have to submit multiple letters to your committee in order for them to write your letter? if you indeed just have a single letter from a health advisor, I'm not sure that would suffice for any school.

Reactions: 1 user

From their website:
  • An evaluation from a pre-professional advisory committee, OR two letters of recommendation from science faculty familiar with your academic work.
  • One letter of recommendation from a practicing physician (DO or MD).

If you have a pre-health advisor, they should have required two science letters for your packet anyway, but their letter should be accepted. The pre-health advisor should write your main letter, but it should be submitted in a packet along with the additional letters to support any statements they made. This is done because they usually do not have a strong relationship with the applicant. In my case, I had the pre-health advisor letter, plus letters from science professors, physicians, and bosses that I have a stronger relationship with.

I'm getting nervous too! I interviewed Feb. 4th, and still haven't heard back! Anyone else in the same boat?!
Interviewed 2/11 and I haven't recieved a desicion. When I called admissions they said they could possibly decide this week or next week.

Question guys... Just got an II for the Middletown campus and was wondering if its worth to attend. I have two other acceptances and waitlisted at another and I'm not sure if I would pick Middletown over them. However, I would contemplate the Harlem campus but I'm not sure how it works if I request an interview there instead of Middletown. Any thoughts? Also, I know Middletown is relatively new but is it safe to believe that the quality of their clinical rotations and their match list will be comparable to Harlem's? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question guys... Just got an II for the Middletown campus and was wondering if its worth to attend. I have two other acceptances and waitlisted at another and I'm not sure if I would pick Middletown over them. However, I would contemplate the Harlem campus but I'm not sure how it works if I request an interview there instead of Middletown. Any thoughts? Also, I know Middletown is relatively new but is it safe to believe that the quality of their clinical rotations and their match list will be comparable to Harlem's? Thanks.
When I interviewed I was told that the first year class at Middletown actually did better in their first semester than their counterparts at the Harlem campus. In terms of rotations I believe that both campuses will use the same sites and one lottery system will be used.

Any idea when the match list comes out? Was looking forward to seeing where the graduates will be going this year! :D

Anyone accepted here with a 3.1c and 3.1 GPA?

I had similar stats and I did not have a masters and was accepted into Harlem. MCAT was a 29 though and massive amounts of extracurriculars.

When I interviewed I was told that the first year class at Middletown actually did better in their first semester than their counterparts at the Harlem campus. In terms of rotations I believe that both campuses will use the same sites and one lottery system will be used.

I asked at my interview (for Harlem) if there are different opportunities at Harlem and Middletown. The professor told me that she chose Harlem purely because she wanted a city, but Middletown is associated with a great hospital and programs, and you pretty much get the benefits of both school's connections post-graduation.

In terms of being admitted to Harlem when you are interviewed for Middletown, I think that is best answered by a call to admissions (and I don't think this makes them question your interest in Middletown, they are definitely used to it). I say that because despite what people have been told in the past, the classes may be filling up and the answer may be changing (I presume).

Thanks a lot for your answers. I actually called and they did say that if accepted, I could request to attend the Harlem campus but they would have to agree and have space in their class, which is pretty much full now. I like both campus and Touro as a whole, but sadly I decided to turn down the II. There are still quite a few dates left for Middletown and I hope my spot goes to one of you. Good luck!

Hello

Does anyone know if its the same situation if you interviewed at Harlem but want to change your preference to Middletown? I already emailed harlem admissions but haven't heard back from them yet..anyone else in this situation know what to do? Is there a separate interview for Middletown or you can get accepted to Middletown based on the Harlem interview.. thanks guys

Hello

Does anyone know if its the same situation if you interviewed at Harlem but want to change your preference to Middletown? I already emailed harlem admissions but haven't heard back from them yet..anyone else in this situation know what to do? Is there a separate interview for Middletown or you can get accepted to Middletown based on the Harlem interview.. thanks guys
There's middletown acceptancees who want to go to Harlem. I wonder if it's possible to work a switcharoo type of deal.

Has anyone who interviewed around 3/4 hear back yet? I interviewed 3/4 and was told we would hear back in two weeks.. Does anyone know what day they usually send out emails re decisions ?

Has anyone who interviewed around 3/4 hear back yet? I interviewed 3/4 and was told we would hear back in two weeks.. Does anyone know what day they usually send out emails re decisions ?

Nope! Called admissions three weeks ago and they said I would hear back by next week or the week after. Still waiting....

Emails are going out. I just got Waislisted :( womp womp. Interviewed 2/25. At Harlem

Last edited:
Cheer up! Everyone on the waitlist got in last year at Harlem. I interviewed in the middle of Feb. and the admissions staff told us then that we would be on the waitlist since they were pretty much full.

Reactions: 2 users
Cheer up! Everyone on the waitlist got in last year at Harlem. I interviewed in the middle of Feb. and the admissions staff told us then that we would be on the waitlist since they were pretty much full.

Around when in the year, did you find out you were off the waitlist? Got waitlisted today too.

Oh, I'm in the same boat as you. I just got waitlisted, but during my interview day the admissions staff told us that everyone on the waitlist got in last year.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied super late and just received an email to fill out a secondary application. I feel like I'm being schemed into spending $200! HahaI'm sure it's a small price to pay if I do get in but I have a small gut feeling that I shouldn't send in secondaries because all seats are full..... Am I crazy???

It is not a single lottery system. Harlem students will be preferred for Harlem locations. Middletown students will be preferred for Middletown locations.

Interviewed at Harlem on 3/11. Waitlisted today (3/24).

I applied super late and just received an email to fill out a secondary application. I feel like I'm being schemed into spending $200! HahaI'm sure it's a small price to pay if I do get in but I have a small gut feeling that I shouldn't send in secondaries because all seats are full..... Am I crazy???
I'm probably going to let go of my seat. So there's hope!

Reactions: 1 users
Please do so asap!!! I will buy you lunch if you're ever in the city :) hoping to get off the wait list before my next cross country interviews bc this is my top choice..
It's for middletown though if it makes any difference. I sooo want to go back to the city!

I'm probably going to let go of my seat. So there's hope!

I interviewed at Middletown a couple of days ago. If I get accepted, I will be giving up my seat as well. So stay hopeful, guys!

Apply, and interview if offered - lots of movement.

I interviewed at Middletown a couple of days ago. If I get accepted, I will be giving up my seat as well. So stay hopeful, guys!
Why wait till you get accepted.. if you know your gonna give up your seat you should just withdraw your decision before you even get it so someone else can take that spot earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
What percentage of people are sent ii's? And what percentage of those ii's are accepted?

I'm really nervous

Why wait till you get accepted.. if you know your gonna give up your seat you should just withdraw your decision before you even get it so someone else can take that spot earlier.

Likely will be declining** not sure yet. Sorry, I should have clarified earlier, but I didn't go through the entire interview day and pay all that money for the secondary just to withdraw before a decision is made. Pretty sure I owe it to myself to at least see what the committee decides. The Dean said that they're basically closing on the interview season anyways.

Last edited:
Does anybody know TouroCOM COMPLEX/USMLE pass rate or average scores? (Either campus)