Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You email it to them with specific directions for the subject of the email. O can't remember of the top of my head but it's in the directions

Yup, just saw that. Thank you.

edit: secondary submitted - fingers crossed!

Do we have a general idea of percentage of secondary submitted to ii?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, just saw that. Thank you.

edit: secondary submitted - fingers crossed!
Do we have a general idea of percentage of secondary submitted to ii?

if your mcat is above 28, then 90% chance of receiving an II. If your MCAT is below 28, then a 60% chance of receiving II sometime in the cycle

if your mcat is above 28, then 90% chance of receiving an II. If your MCAT is below 28, then a 60% chance of receiving II sometime in the cycle

I've got a 30 so hopefully that pans out. Where'd you get those stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a 30 so hopefully that pans out. Where'd you get those stats?

as long as the rest of your app is decent, you will receive an II. I received those stats from my contacts.

Reactions: 1 user
To anyone that completed the secondary, did you enter any information for the recommendations section? I am using interfolio for the letters so I don't need Touro to email my letter writers about sending letters.

To anyone that completed the secondary, did you enter any information for the recommendations section? I am using interfolio for the letters so I don't need Touro to email my letter writers about sending letters.

I didn't enter anything here as I'm using interfolio as well.

what if you have a 28 lol?

I love these arbitrary % numbers

Reactions: 5 users
So I fall on that weird line of having a 28 MCAT... Because this secondary fee is so much, I wanted to see what you guys think of my chances here.
I had a 3.7 science GPA and 3.55 overall GPA in undergrad. I just got my Master's degree in Biology with a 4.0 GPA. I have plenty of shadowing and research EC's but not as much volunteering. I'm also OOS from Michigan.
Any feedback? Think it's worth submitting?

So I fall on that weird line of having a 28 MCAT... Because this secondary fee is so much, I wanted to see what you guys think of my chances here.
I had a 3.7 science GPA and 3.55 overall GPA in undergrad. I just got my Master's degree in Biology with a 4.0 GPA. I have plenty of shadowing and research EC's but not as much volunteering. I'm also OOS from Michigan.
Any feedback? Think it's worth submitting?

For what it's worth, I got an II with a 3.5 sgpa/3.3 cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 mcat. I'm a non-trad with good ec's, fit their mission. Also out of state from CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a document online for touro Middletown a couple of weeks ago, from (The state education department:The university of the state of New York) there was a section that stated that the requirements for touro Middletown were at least a 27 mcat and at least a 3.0 science gpa. Nothing on cumulative gpa. A 24 mcat and 3.0 cum gpa might be the screening from what I have read from previous posts but it's seems that to get accepted the requirements are a 27 mcat and 3.0 science gpa

Here is the section from the document: titled as a master plan amendment ( from the board of regents) ( I just searched touro Middletown mcat)

Admission Requirements: To be eligible for admission into the program, a student must possess minimum standards of pre-academic training in the areas of English, Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Behavioral Sciences, including appropriate laboratory courses, graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree, a minimum GPA of 3.0 in science courses, and a minimum MCAT score of 27. The application will be processed through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS).

Here's the section for the same type of document but for touro harlem that was used in 2006 however now that it has been 7-8 yrs since then admission requirements have gone up as more applicants are becoming aware of the do degree

Applicants to the program must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. They must have completed 8 credits in biology, 8 credits in inorganic chemistry, 8 credits in organic chemistry (4 credits in biochemistry may be substituted for a second semester of organic chemistry), and 8 credits of physics. Applicants must submit an MCAT score no older than three years. For consideration, applicants must have an overall average of 3.0, a 3.0 science average, and an MCAT score of 20 or above.

So study for the mcat guys as I hear the average now for touro harlem is in the 30's. Best of luck to everyone. I will be applying for fall of 2016

Last edited:
Anyone have any insight into about how long they take to get back once your secondary is complete?

I found a document online for touro Middletown a couple of weeks ago, from (The state education department:The university of the state of New York) there was a section that stated that the requirements for touro Middletown were at least a 27 mcat and at least a 3.0 science gpa. Nothing on cumulative gpa. A 24 mcat and 3.0 cum gpa might be the screening from what I have read from previous posts but it's seems that to get accepted the requirements are a 27 mcat and 3.0 science gpa

Here is the section from the document: titled as a master plan amendment ( from the board of regents) ( I just searched touro Middletown mcat)

Admission Requirements: To be eligible for admission into the program, a student must possess minimum standards of pre-academic training in the areas of English, Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Behavioral Sciences, including appropriate laboratory courses, graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree, a minimum GPA of 3.0 in science courses, and a minimum MCAT score of 27. The application will be processed through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS).

Here's the section for the same type of document but for touro harlem that was used in 2006 however now that it has been 7-8 yrs since then admission requirements have gone up as more applicants are becoming aware of the do degree

Applicants to the program must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. They must have completed 8 credits in biology, 8 credits in inorganic chemistry, 8 credits in organic chemistry (4 credits in biochemistry may be substituted for a second semester of organic chemistry), and 8 credits of physics. Applicants must submit an MCAT score no older than three years. For consideration, applicants must have an overall average of 3.0, a 3.0 science average, and an MCAT score of 20 or above.

So study for the mcat guys as I hear the average now for touro harlem is in the 30's. Best of luck to everyone. I will be applying for fall of 2016
But people got off the waitling list to middletown last year with a 25-26?

Separate note, not every pre-req must be completed prior to application correct?

RECEIVED! Was so confused when there was no essay but glad I have SDN to calm my nerves.

So wait guys, do recommenders have to send our letters separately??? I have all my letters uploaded on Interfolio...

Hey, I called them today and they said you do not have to mention anything in recommendations ( online application) if you are submitting your letter through interfolio. I hope that answers your question.

I called them up today and they said if we are using interfolio then we do not need to put anything in recommendation section.

Hey,
I am having issues with online application.
I only see 6 tabs/section under application for admissions: Legal terms, personal info, contact info, academic plan, emergency contact and waiver.
I am missing Secondary/HS academic record section and Health Sciences & professional section.
When I try to review my application in pdf , I see missing sections there and they are not completed. Does that mean we do not have to fill those sections or there is a problem with online application?

Hey, I called them today and they said you do not have to mention anything in recommendations ( online application) if you are submitting your letter through interfolio. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks! Also there is an essay guys, it is in the supplemental materials packet that they emailed. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up incase you happened to miss it!

Hey,
I am having issues with online application.
I only see 6 tabs/section under application for admissions: Legal terms, personal info, contact info, academic plan, emergency contact and waiver.
I am missing Secondary/HS academic record section and Health Sciences & professional section.
When I try to review my application in pdf , I see missing sections there and they are not completed. Does that mean we do not have to fill those sections or there is a problem with online application?
Hmm thats weird, it might only come up after you choose Touro Osteopathic School of Medicine? I had a total of 9 tabs. I guess just start filling out the first couple and maybe some more tabs will appear the further you complete your application.

What's the interview/acceptance ratio?

So yes I got to opened finally. It only works with the new adobe reader

Anyone who submitted get a complete email yet?

Anyone who submitted get a complete email yet?

I called and was told they have all my stuff..but never received an email. They also mentioned ii's would start going out second week of October.

I called and was told they have all my stuff..but never received an email. They also mentioned ii's would start going out second week of October.
Gonna be a late cycle... my one fear with this school is getting in off the waiting list really close to when classes start.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having trouble answering all these questions in the essay prompt back to the goals and objectives of Touro. Like I want to talk about how I like osteopathic medicine because of its personal approach and preventative health care emphasis, but i don't know how to relate this back to the mission that focuses on underserved populations.

Gonna be a late cycle... my one fear with this school is getting in off the waiting list really close to when classes start.

I mean...if we're getting ii's in October early November we should have an interview set by December or January...acceptance should follow not long after that I'd think?

I mean...if we're getting ii's in October early November we should have an interview set by December or January...acceptance should follow not long after that I'd think?
Ah I'm speaking for those with slightly subpar MCATs :D . Though I guess even a March interview and acceptance by May would be fine for sure.

Is anyone else having trouble answering all these questions in the essay prompt back to the goals and objectives of Touro. Like I want to talk about how I like osteopathic medicine because of its personal approach and preventative health care emphasis, but i don't know how to relate this back to the mission that focuses on underserved populations.
I have about~600 hours of volunteer coaching/personal training I've done and I tried to talk about how I've used the knowledge I've gained through my years of track and field & powerlifting to help others. I've tied this to how I've done all of this coaching for free and many of the people I worked with had an inability to afford private coaching. So basically people who were doing too well before now had qualified training for free. I also talked about the holistic approach and how I did that myself as a coach/trainer.

Ideally you want to speak from experience.

I have about~600 hours of volunteer coaching/personal training I've done and I tried to talk about how I've used the knowledge I've gained through my years of track and field & powerlifting to help others. I've tied this to how I've done all of this coaching for free and many of the people I worked with had an inability to afford private coaching. So basically people who were doing too well before now had qualified training for free. I also talked about the holistic approach and how I did that myself as a coach/trainer.

Ideally you want to speak from experience.

I've done something similar as you. Did you count your free coaching/training hours as volunteer hours on your app?

I've done something similar as you. Did you count your free coaching/training hours as volunteer hours on your app?
Of course! It's volunteer work. How about you?

is anyone attaching the technical standards form also or just the supplemental application?

is anyone attaching the technical standards form also or just the supplemental application?
I believe you need to sign, scan and attach the technical standards form along with the supplemental application

Do I have to send LORs to both campus? if indicate I don't have a preference on the campus location?

Do I have to send LORs to both campus? if indicate I don't have a preference on the campus location?
are you using interfolio? if so there's only one option anyway

yes I'm using interfolia..what do you mean only one option anyway?
it's a joint destination on interfolio. you can't send it to middletown and harlem.

So I didnt know the gpa from all the schools ive attended and just left it blank. Is this gonna be an issue? I mean they have all the infor from the AACOMAS app right?

So I didnt know the gpa from all the schools ive attended and just left it blank. Is this gonna be an issue? I mean they have all the infor from the AACOMAS app right?
Did you already submit?