Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for you guys to get your fee waiver??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i am having this problem too. help, anyone?

SAME! UGH! What is this voodoo magic of an application? Do we just skip all this experience/award stuff? HELP! Those who already submitted what did you guys do?

Did anyone figure this out? I never got that tab, so I just submitted mine without that. The PDF had the section, but it was completely blank? Am I completely screwed? Maybe it was just for the California and Nevada branches?

Sorry, I was writing the message from my phone. Mistakenly quoted your post instead of the one below. I am having the same issue as Prady89.

Did you ever figure this out? I just submitted mine, but now when I look at the PDF of my file that section is completely blank. I was never given the option of choosing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone address everything listed on the prompt in their essay? " Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?"

I am finding that if i do address all these, my essay would be too long..more than one page for sure :-S

Did you ever figure this out? I just submitted mine, but now when I look at the PDF of my file that section is completely blank. I was never given the option of choosing that.

i am submitting mine without those as well..only got 6 tabs like everyone else did.

I submitted my application today, but I also applied to Touro-California.
When I open my file as a PDF for the New York Application, my essay for the California application also shows up in the PDF.
Is this normal?!?!?!

Hey guys! I'm not sure if someone has already asked this, but I have a question regarding the ID for TOURO. I applied to the CA campus, as well. So I couldn't create another account under the same email. However, on the "Academic Plan" tab, TOURO CA is checked. How do I do it for the Touro NY campus, as well? Idk if this sounds confusing.. sorry!

Has anyone recieved a complete email or Touro ID after submission?

Has anyone recieved a complete email or Touro ID after submission?
Still waiting for my received complete secondary email and I submitted two weeks ago. I called last week and I didn't get a straightforward answer if they received mine or not...

The woman on the phone said she didn't see my secondary, so it COULD be in a different folder for secondaries that are being reviewed.. So I don't know if they DID received it and its being reviewed or they DIDN'T receive it all together

I would call back but I don't want to be annoying, I'm just hoping that its in that folder for reviewing the secondaries :/

Last edited:
I received a secondary on 9/11, finally submitted and paid the fee today. I realized afterwards that I forgot to attach my resume. I hope that's not actually mandatory. I would love to go to the Middletown campus, it's right in between my family and my wife's family. (IS 4.0S 3.7C 28)

Members don't see this ad :)
My primary was submitted 7/23, received 7/27, verified 9/17.

Im thinking ii's should start coming out in about 2 weeks..

I emailed my secondary on the 9th, and got a complete email a few hours later. Looked like this
Dear ------ -------,
Your ApplyYourself Application and Supplemental Application Materials have been received.
Your Application will be reviewed in the order in which it has been received. Once your Letters of Recommendation are received and processed, your application package will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for Interview Consideration.
The Admissions Committee will make a collective decision to select candidates for interviews based upon each applicant’s credentials.
Respectfully,
TouroCOM Admissions

Please note:

If you have already sent in your letters of recommendation, no further action is required on your part to be considered for an interview. We ask that you wait two weeks before requesting status updates.

Does anyone know when they typically start sending out II?

I called today and they said October. She said 2-3 weeks. She also said that the Touro NY schools only have 6 tabs and that the extracurriculars section of the PDF was meant for the California school.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I have a question about the II essay and needed some advice! My sibling goes to TouroCOM NY and I was wondering if I should mention this in the II essay or not.

Bit the bullet and paid the fee and submitted the secondary yesterday... I swear I better get an interview with that price tag. -.-

Hey guys, first Middletown interview is October 20 I believe. I go to Touro Middletown so if you have any questions at all about the school or app cycle feel free to ask away.

Hey guys, first Middletown interview is October 20 I believe. I go to Touro Middletown so if you have any questions at all about the school or app cycle feel free to ask away.
pros and cons? :D

Pros: You watch most lectures through Itunes U (professors from our school will prerecord them) so you are able to pace yourself each week and decide when you want to watch them, also you are able to rewatch them as often as you'd like. So no 8-5 lecture days. My schedule is like this:
Monday: test days (can have up to 2), some weeks none so you have no class
Tuesday: Clicker session for 4 hours (quizzes you on Anatomy, Biochem, Histo, Physio)
Wednesday: Physical Diagnosis 8-12
Thursday: OMM, Ethic, Anatomy Lab 8-5
Friday: Another anatomy clicker and Histology Lab 8-12:30

So the schedule is light for the most part which gives you a lot of time to study on your own.

Also, the school is completely new inside (new cadaver lab, 3D digital lab, and plastination lab, new OMM lab, PD mock rooms). If you want to live on campus you can, if you don't want to there are plenty of apartment complexes very close by, but I must say living on campus your first year is a great way to meet people and its very convenient. The small class size (135) is great because professors know you personally and work with you if you're having problems.

I can't really think of any unique cons to this school. It's medical school so its hell because you are studying from the time you wake up until you go to sleep at night and your expected to know A LOT week after week, but hey thats medical school. The cafeteria here could improve with food selection and prices, but I think our student government is working on that.

Reactions: 4 users
Will they give interviews without the evaluation form? All my recommendation letters are up through VirtualEvals but I'm having difficulty getting one person to do the evaluation! :(

What are pros and cons between Harlem and Middletown? Thanks.

Hello,

My supplemental application (from the email I received from Touro) isn't loading. I already completed my apply yourself application and paid the $200 fee. Can anyone be of assistance? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thank You

Last edited:
Hello,

My supplemental application (from the email I received from Touro) isn't loading. I already completed my apply yourself application and paid the $200 fee. Can anyone be of assistance? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thank You,

Camaxtli
Yes they sent a follow up email back when the secondary was first sent out. The supplemental application is the essay question that has been posted here and must be sent in following the directions that were provided. If you are unable to open it, try to open it using the most recent Adobe reader, or just search the thread for the essay question.

Yes they sent a follow up email back when the secondary was first sent out. The supplemental application is the essay question that has been posted here and must be sent in following the directions that were provided. If you are unable to open it, try to open it using the most recent Adobe reader, or just search the thread for the essay question.

Yes I got the follow up. I'm unable to open it and am using the most recent adobe reader. Is there any other solution to opening this? I'm using a macintosh computer. Is that ok?

I'm actually very confused. How to submit my secondary after doing the apply yourself. The secondary won't load and the instructions just explain the apply yourself application. This is by far the worst and most complicated application to fill out. Oh well.

Thank you anon01

Last edited:
What are pros and cons between Harlem and Middletown? Thanks.
The harlem campus takes the same tests on the same days and they watch the same exact lectures with the same class times. Everything is identical, the only difference between the two campuses is the location the first two years. Even for rotations you all enter into the same lottery for different sites that could either be in the city or in the Hudson Valley Region (Middletown) depending on where you want to go. Also, I think Harlem's medical school building is way smaller.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I got the follow up. I'm unable to open it and am using the most recent adobe reader. Is there any other solution to opening this? I'm using a macintosh computer. Is that ok?

I'm actually very confused. How to a submit my secondary after doing the apply yourself. The secondary won't load and the instructions just explain the apply yourself application. This is by far the worst and most application to fill out. Oh well.

Thank you anon01,

Camaxtli
You have completed the application itself, all that's left is to email your essay using the format that they provided. The "application" that you're unable to open is basically the essay prompt. The essay can be typed in a word document, emailed in, and you're all set assuming payment. I was unable to open it on a Mac as well so I'm not sure what the issue is there.

Here is the prompt:

Please discuss how your background, experience, or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro COM's mission, goals, or objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared your for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

You have completed the application itself, all that's left is to email your essay using the format that they provided. The "application" that you're unable to open is basically the essay prompt. The essay can be typed in a word document, emailed in, and you're all set assuming payment. I was unable to open it on a Mac as well so I'm not sure what the issue is there.

Here is the prompt:

Please discuss how your background, experience, or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro COM's mission, goals, or objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared your for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Thank you.

Do I just email it to admissions?

Thank you.

Do I just email it to admissions?
You need to download adobe reader. When you click to open the attachment, click with two fingers and then click "open with" and select adobe. The file won't open with Preview; you have to use adobe. You can't just email admissions your essay because there's other parts of that download you need to fill out.

You need to download adobe reader. When you click to open the attachment, click with two fingers and then click "open with" and select adobe. The file won't open with Preview; you have to use adobe. You can't just email admissions your essay because there's other parts of that download you need to fill out.

Uhhh I have adobe reader though. I don't understand why I can't open it. I have the most recent edition also. I really want to apply to this school! I already paid two hundred dollars.

What evaluation form are you talking about?

It was my bad. I thought it was some special school-specific form, so I emailed my pre-professional office and they were like: yeah...you don't need any extra forms. So I emailed the school and they said my file is all complete and I don't need to do anything. hah... Wish they would've told me earlier! :D

The harlem campus takes the same tests on the same days and they watch the same exact lectures with the same class times. Everything is identical, the only difference between the two campuses is the location the first two years. Even for rotations you all enter into the same lottery for different sites that could either be in the city or in the Hudson Valley Region (Middletown) depending on where you want to go. Also, I think Harlem's medical school building is way smaller.

In your opinion which computer/labtop/tablet do you feel has the best advantage in class? Does the school require a certain brand ex. Mac,Lenovo,..etc. ? What brand do students mostly have?

Its pretty much a mix between Macs and PCs and some people have tablets. Just make sure you have a computer with an adequate amount of storage because you will want to download the itunes lectures to rewatch them at a faster speed, but if you don't no worries because you can watch the lectures without downloading them as well.

II! Choices were 10/20 and 10/22. Exciting! :)

Edit: LM: 66. Complete: 9/8

Last edited:
II here too! Ranked the two sessions on 10/20 as my choices, very, very excited as I'm a Long Island native and I'm trying to get back :)

how long before you guys received your supplemental email information after submitting the first part of the secondary and the fee?

Does anyone know the max LORs this school will take? sending individual letters

II! - 10/1

completed 9/5
heard nothing ever since
interview invite 10/1
interview dates available 10/20 (2 sessions) 10/22 (1 session)
stats: 3.5s 3.67c 31MCAT (12P 7V 12B)
OOS. CA resident
good ECs