About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Touro Nevada School of Medicine stats? What are my chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by lilmiscassie92, Dec 12, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. lilmiscassie92

lilmiscassie92

hSDN Member SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was born and raised in Vegas. I'm in my second year at UNLV. I'm majoring in psych and doing the pre-med reqs on the side. I would really like to go to Touro (it's also the only medical school close to home basically). I have not come across too many people sharing their story of getting in (GPA/MCAT, etc). I have come across this link though

http://osteopathicmedstudent.com/osteopathic-schools/mcat-and-gpa-statistics/tuncom/

The scores do seem a bit low, but it supposedly is up to date. My science GPA is a 3.1 at the moment and my overall is a 3.66. I'm wondering if someone had a 3.0 (hypothetically speaking, if I failed to bring up my science GPA worse case scenario) and had an average MCAT score, what would be my chances? I am in a few extracurriculars at UNLV, I volunteer at a hospital, I'm UTAing this semester, and I'll be shadowing a physician for a month over winter break.
  2. Catalystik

Catalystik Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    The cited stats, 3.35/3.23/26, are matriculant averages, implying that half of students were higher and half below those numbers. Those with lower numbers are more likely to be those with special circumstances. if you have no such moderating factors, it will be more important for you to aim for at least an average number. That doesn't mean you can't get in with less, but why take that risk? And even if your sGPA stays on the low side, it will be important to end with an upward grade trend to suggest you have the potential to succeed in a science-heavy med school curriculum.

Keep in mind you can take advantage of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy if necessary to retake a class and more rapidly improve your sGPA. But some upper-level science As on the first go round would be nice to see, too.
  3. lilmiscassie92

lilmiscassie92

hSDN Member SDN 2+ Year Member
    What is the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy?
  4. Catalystik

Catalystik Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    For non-Texas DO medical schools:

Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater in order to invoke the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy. The retake need not be at the same school. The course name needn't be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA.