Touro-NV MHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supreme88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to the Touro-NV Master in Health Sciences.

Not much information is out there about the program! if anyone is familiar about the program let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt know touro NV had a post-bacc!!! I always wondered if they had one but couldnt find any info about it. What made you apply? I have to check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i received an email from the school inviting me to apply to their MHS program. I decided to just fill out the application and received a notification within 3 weeks that i was accepted.

I got an invitation as well. I just submitted my application, so I hope to hear from them soon.

Did you apply to their DO program and have you taken the MCAT? I just took the MCAT so my application is on "hold" until scores are received.

I got an acceptance letter from Touro University NV yesterday too! :)

congratulations HONU 87!

@DR410 I have all ready taken an MCAT and did apply to their program.

QUESTION:

What areas of interest are available for research as a MSMHS student?
How many members of the last graduating class was accepted into TUN's Medical school ?
How many members of the last graduating class was accepted into medical school?
Is there an optional MCAT intensive course offered at TUN?

ANSWER:

1. Students participate in research that is most suited to their interests. There are a lot of opportunities for bench research in basic sciences, and also off campus in clinical settings.
2. We do not have data from the current class, as the admissions cycle is ongoing, but I do have information for the two preceding classes. In the programs first year there were 6 students. 5 of those student were accepted to TUN as part of the class of 2014 and 1 was accepted into the class of 2015. The following year there were 16 students that completed the program. 13 matriculated at TUN as part of the Class of 2015 and 1 student chose to attend another medical school.
3. The MHS program contains an option MCAT prep course that aims at preparing students to take the January 2013 MCAT in time for application into the DO Class of 2017.

Wow, sounding pretty sweet. As my pre-req get older and older, this may be a good option (especially as UG tuition is rising anyways).

could you please tell me what some of your application stats (gpa? HCE?) were as i am looking into that program but i'm not sure if i would be able to get in. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
QUESTION:

What areas of interest are available for research as a MSMHS student?
How many members of the last graduating class was accepted into TUN's Medical school ?
How many members of the last graduating class was accepted into medical school?
Is there an optional MCAT intensive course offered at TUN?

ANSWER:

1. Students participate in research that is most suited to their interests. There are a lot of opportunities for bench research in basic sciences, and also off campus in clinical settings.
2. We do not have data from the current class, as the admissions cycle is ongoing, but I do have information for the two preceding classes. In the programs first year there were 6 students. 5 of those student were accepted to TUN as part of the class of 2014 and 1 was accepted into the class of 2015. The following year there were 16 students that completed the program. 13 matriculated at TUN as part of the Class of 2015 and 1 student chose to attend another medical school.
3. The MHS program contains an option MCAT prep course that aims at preparing students to take the January 2013 MCAT in time for application into the DO Class of 2017.
I'm curious as to know where this stat came from? And how I can find more details.

postbac14

I also got into this program. And with two weeks to submit a deposit I'm hoping to visit to school this weekend.

So who'll be going to NV in July? I know I will!!! :)

I actually live about a 3 min. drive from Touro Henderson.

If you have an addictive personality, be careful in this town. While I have been able to pull off straight A's while living here getting my pre-reqs done, it hasn't been always easy with all of the vices you are CONSTANTLY bombarded with.

That aside, outside of the city proper is really beautiful here. Cheers guys.

Ahh. Just got my acceptance letter! Two weeks for a deposit!?!? Anyone know if we can extend the deposit deadline?

I'm starting in July! Just curious, is there anybody else from Utah in the MHS program this year?

just got the phone call the other day! how long did it take for your acceptance letter to come in? and did it come with more information about the program?

Anyone know who to email regarding coursework concerns(for next year)? I poked around a bit.

Also, if you want to divulge your stats that'd be great too :)

Is anyone interested in getting a Facebook group for the upcoming MHS class?

Last edited:
Does anybody have any GPA stats about this program? They claim that they will take 30 students this year on their homepage, which is higher than years before? so what effect may that have on admission? Also without an MCAT what other factors are heavily weighed in the application.

Does anybody have any GPA stats about this program? They claim that they will take 30 students this year on their homepage, which is higher than years before? so what effect may that have on admission? Also without an MCAT what other factors are heavily weighed in the application.

All I know is that the minimum GPA requirement is 2.75 for both cumulative and science. From my friend who did the program a couple of years ago and currently works in admissions, she said that acceptance for the MHS program is primarily based on your GPA.

PS. Here is the updated link to our new facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/groups/285130694897516

i plan on applying to tun-com this june for the upcoming cycle. does anybody know if applying to both the medical school and the MHS program would have any effect on each other? just cynically coming up with the idea in my head that applying at the MHS program might lower the chances at the COM haha

i plan on applying to tun-com this june for the upcoming cycle. does anybody know if applying to both the medical school and the MHS program would have any effect on each other? just cynically coming up with the idea in my head that applying at the MHS program might lower the chances at the COM haha

I think I read somewhere in the FAQs that applying to the MHS program does not affect applying to the DO program. So don't worry, apply to both!

Last edited:
not from utah but i am graduating from BYU, been accepted and will attend

I'm starting in July! Just curious, is there anybody else from Utah in the MHS program this year?

not from utah but i have been living here the past 4 years going to BYU, starting touro in july

Hi all.

I have an AS in Biology, and I'm finishing up my BA in History at UNLV next semster.
By the time I apply, my cumulative GPA will be around 3.5, and my science GPA will be about 2.9.
My science courses are limited to the Med School pre-requisits, and I'm not sure if I'm going to take the MCAT prior to starting the MHS program if I get acceped.

Based on my stats, what do you think my chances are for getting accepted to the MHS program if I apply in December, 2012.
Compare my stats to your own when you applied, if you like. Any info will be really helpfull.

Thanks.

Last edited:
All I know is that the minimum GPA requirement is 2.75 for both cumulative and science. From my friend who did the program a couple of years ago and currently works in admissions, she said that acceptance for the MHS program is primarily based on your GPA.

PS. Here is the updated link to our new facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/groups/285130694897516

By GPA do you mean primarily science GPA, or overall GPA. Or both.
The program description says that the program has been design to help pre-meds increase their science GPA, and increase the number of appropriate science cources taken.
considering this discription, does anyone know if the adcom cares if you don't have alot of science cources other than the med school pre-reqs, and if you've taken the MCAT or not?

Last edited:
I just got accepted to the Touro-NV Master in Health Sciences.

Not much information is out there about the program! if anyone is familiar about the program let me know!

Hi Member 401346,

Below are some statistics for you and everyone else who may be curious :)

MHS Class of 2010
> 5 out of 6 students accepted (Minimums for DO acceptance GPA 2.75, MCAT 23)

MHS Class of 2011
> 13 out of 16 students accepted (Minimums for DO acceptance GPA 2.75, MCAT 23)
>> Not sure if this stat is correct...but it is comparable.

MHS Class of 2012
> Only 1 out of 30 accepted so far (Minimums for DO acceptance GPA 3.0, MCAT 25)

Class Size
> Starting: 31
>> 1 person was bumped up to DO15 in the first week (they were on the wait-list from the year before)
>> 6 people dropped out (1 prior to Block 1 exams, 3 after Block 1 exams, 2 after the first semester)
>> Of the 24 remaining students:
>>> 3 decided to go PA (they were accepted and will matriculate next year)
>>> 6 people had to re-mediate exams (this means they're INELIGIBLE for DO class)
>>> 2 additional people (who passed) were flat out rejected
>>> 5 people are in "limbo" (their fate is undecided, but looking grim)
>>> 9 people received DO interviews
>>>> Of those 9 interviewees
>>>>> 1 person accepted to DO16
>>>>> 1 person rejected
>>>>> 2 people medium wait-listed (outlook is also grim for this group)
>>>>> 5 people are still awaiting the outcome of their interviews...(I will update soon)

I hope this helps. I think it is imperative for every applicant to have the MOST ACCURATE information possible when making such a big decision!

Good Luck! You can do it! You definitely DO NOT need this program to become a physician, but it may help for a select few...keep working hard!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am an MHS Student and would like to give you some information I wish I knew before I began the program. I will initially highlight the cons of the program and will then discuss the pros.

CONS

1.) Only 1 out of 30 MHS 2012 Students has been accepted into the DO 2016 Program (as of now, April 24, 2012). This person is a rockstar and well exceeded the minimum Touro DO 16 requirements.

2.) Only 9 out of 30 MHS 2012 Students were given interviews to the DO 2016 program while many many many more were expecting and deserving of interviews.

3.) Constant lack of communication between MHS and all faculty. There is an even higher lack of communication btwn MHS and Admissions.

4.) Many faculty are not fans of the program and take it out heavily on MHS students.

5.) The program's main purpose is as a money generator.

6.) A large portion of the school does not know what the MHS program is and you constantly feel like a second class citizen and often times shunned.

7.) Your performance in Touro medical school courses isn't respected as such. You are expected to DRASTICALLY outperform the DO class (who will be your current classmates). You need to be in at least the 80th % amongst the DO class to be safe.

8.) The timeline allotted for the research opportunity is not long enough to get a "great research experience."

9.) TAKE YOUR MCAT BEFORE YOU BEGIN! The ‘MCAT Prep Course' is unreasonably thrown into an intensive medical school course load.

10.) Evenif your stats are great now, due to the difficulty of the classes they can quickly plummet after one semester in this program and lessen your chances of getting in to medical school even more.

PROS

1.) You are exposed to medical school courses, whichis a unique opportunity to prepare you for medical school more than most people get.

2.) You will make a lot of contacts within the health field.

3.) You will be in close proximity to information about osteopathic medicine, but you will have to go out of your way to find it.

4.) You will make a lot of friends, it is important to stick together as a class.

5.) You may beat the odds and this program may work for you. It could help you achieve the goal you've been working toward.

Knowing this information now can help you approach this program in a realistic way so you can set yourself up for success!

If you do not approach this program properly, it may hurt you more than it will help you. Remember this is an expensive program and your results will remain on your record forever.

Good luck MHS2013.

Last edited:
SportsguyLV,

Were the 9 interviews granted for the Touro NV DO program only? Or were other programs and schools involved? What was the timeline like for the research opportunity?

@honu87

The interviews were only for TUN. One classmate who wasn't even offered an interview at Touro was fortunate to be wait-listed at one COM, was accepted at another COM, and will be going there. He is an excellent student and I was excited to think I'd be going to med school with him. Another classmate was accepted at another COM and is waiting (as am I) to hear if he'll be accepted here. The rest of our classmates not accepted here are sadly, S.O.L. You will be told to apply to other schools at the beginning of the program. Please do so as early as possible! Have as many other options as possible. We have been shocked to see how little allegiance there really is to us, especially given the outstanding track record of previous MHS students now in their 1st and 2nd year of med school. You'd think that with proven results they'd be quick to snap us up, even if an MCAT is a point or two below their new increased minimum this year. That may still happen, but probably only as a last resort (meaning, when they need to quickly fill a seat at end of July or possibly into the first week or even two of classes!). Lame.

Research is primarily conducted in the second semester as there simply is not time enough to do it during the first. Count on 4 months of research on the long end. In reality, your data will be collected before May (hopefully) and you'll have a thesis to write and defend by the end of May. You'll know what project you'll be working on beforehand, but will not get into it until January at the earliest. For those of you needing a better MCAT score and who are planning to "take" the Kaplan course, and then the exam at the end of Jan, your research will basically wait until you've taken the test. Then you will have a few classes to do as well as your research so your time will still be very precious.

This is why we suggest, strongly, to have a good MCAT score before you come! Take whatever course will work for you and get *at least* a 25 (27-30 preferably) before you come in July. You will be on. your. own. with the Kaplan course here. Most of us got no more than 10 weeks of sporadic study time while working on other classes at the same time. You'll be given a calendar to follow (mostly useless), and online study modules (which did work well for me), but zero classroom instruction unless they make a change this year. Beg, borrow, -but don't steal- the money you need to take a course now, if you have to. Use that credit card and pay it off when you get funded, or pay back whomever lends you the money for it.

I (we) put so much emphasis on the MCAT because if you don't currently have a competitive score but manage to get one in Feb (when your test result will come back), it will be way too late to get into any other school as the application cycle will be largely over. Then if TUN doesn't take you, you're waiting another year. That happened to the majority of our classmates this year, even to the ones who moved here with their families. Plan ahead and don't get screwed. This school is way, way big into numbers. You may have all the potential to be a tremendous doctor as proven by your MHS grades, but if you don't have the MCAT, you will not be considered at all. We're witnessing that with our own classmates and it's heartbreaking.

Lastly, you need to have an idea of what lies ahead. Every block exam is like one comprehensive final exam in undergrad, except harder, and you don't get any midterms to help keep your score up. You'll have small quizzes and exercises which will help a little, but by and large, those block exams determine your fate. You'll be tested on tremendous amounts of information and if you blow one exam (less than 70% is failing), it will be very difficult to make it up with the next because it will be even harder. Your primary courses of Medical Biochemistry and BSF/physiology will have two block exams in 4 months then you're done. Anatomy will have three blocks, plus two practical (cadaver structure) exams. There is very little room for error. If you have to remediate even one class because you missed passing it by one point (which they will not give you), you will not get into our DO program, period. That includes if you pass remediation for that class, which has to be one of the most awful things I can think of having to go through. Take this program very, very seriously. Your significant others need to understand this is your time and need to be prepared not to see or hear very much of you, even when you're home. Your buddies need to be your classmates who encourage you to study, not people who will eat up all your precious time because they don't understand the nature of this beast. This is your program, your time, your primary focus for a year. Have fun, yes, but remember you're not really here to party.

If you follow this advice, your lives will be much easier than we had it, and will probably result in a successful bid for a seat in the DO17 program. I'm sure others can add more to this but I've already said enough. I wish you great success in MHS13. It's a huge commitment and I salute you for making it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just saw this post and would like to add to it, SportsGuyLV and TheTodd are making excellent points, and to those of you considering this as a step between where you are now and medical school, I strongly advise that you take these two posts seriously.

This is going to be a long post, so fair warning :)

This program is extremely intense, not only does it require you perform well in medical school classes but you must do well in comparison to the DO's in your class. This is difficult. As a school that is very into numbers, the caliber of studying is much different from undergraduate and graduate level classes, I say this having done both myself and having an extensive science background. The classes run on a block schedule as TheTodd explained and the questions are detailed, sometimes poorly written, and you will find yourself arguing for those missing points. As a class we have done this quite often this year.

Now besides doing well in medical school courses you must also have a solid MCAT coming into this program. It's heartbreaking to see students who have worked so diligently throughout the entire year but not make the minimum on the MCAT, and not get an interview. We pay for this online Kaplan course, which in my opinion is completely useless. You will studying mcat during winter break which is not so bad but towards the end of your anatomy block, you will also have started this mcat "class" so you can't fully focus on the mcat until much later. As I'm sure most of you know, students take off 3 solid months to attempt the mcat, and for good reasons. The test is a beast and it counts much much more than you think! Please please take your mcat before starting the program, I promise you it will make your life 10x easier.

Ok so those are the big two points I wanted to make. I also want to make one clarification, yes any postbac/MHS type program requires you to work hard and perform well, that is a given, but what I do not like about this program is that there are a few of us who despite making these cutoffs and doing well, we still weren't offered an interview. Now this is where I get frustrated with TUN.

I don't believe that faculty actually care about this program, instead it feels like we're a nuisance and we have to take some ridiculous classes that are time consuming and really don't help us with respect to a future in medicine. Some of the faculty are great and helpful but there are a good handful that just don't seem to care about how we are doing. After investing 64k into this program you would think that we would have great resources that would help us get into Touro and other schools, but that is not the case. Do your research, apply broadly, DO NOT put all your eggs in one basket. There is NO privilege being an MHS student, you have just as good a chance applying elsewhere and you do here. I know this is hard to believe esp after you pay a horrendous amount of money, but trust me THERE IS NO PRIVILEGE GIVEN AS A MHS STUDENT!

I also want to add that I believe now this was clearly not the program for me. I was in a better place before I came here. For instance, when I came here I had a 3.2 sci and cum gpa after two semesters of classes my gpa can very well fall below a 3.0, meaning I no longer meet cutoffs for half a dozen of the DO schools for the next application cycle. A C will hurt you on AACOMAS and not to mention I worked about 3x harder for my C in anatomy than my grad level physiology classes. This program is great for those who do well, truly, but if you look at it another way. Doing well in your classes and having a stellar mcat score, you probably don't need to spend this much money on a program. I feel that many students fall into thinking that this MHS program makes their medical school dream more realistic, but be careful because it will damage if you don't approach it the right way.

This year they only interviewed 9/30 students which means even if these 9 get in eventually that would make it a 30% acceptance rate, in my opinion that is complete garbage. Looking into other DO school master's programs and even MD programs have much better ratios.

I know many of you truly believe that you know what you're getting into, I was the same way, but trust me you don't. The program will throw many curveballs at you, and you must be prepared to face them and be able to pick yourself and move on. Always keep your bases covered and apply to schools everywhere. I keep saying this because it's pretty damn important! You don't want to be like some of us who relied heavily on our chances at Touro and now have to wait about 2 years min to see a possible medical school acceptance.

Again, do your research, apply broadly, and take the mcat before starting here, and always shoot for a 45. If I remember anything else I will add to this thread. Feel free to message me as well. I wish all of you the best of luck in accomplushing your medical school endeavors, I also want to say that this is not way meant to bash the school but to inform you of the shortcomings I have experienced having gone through this program. When I first started this program, I didn't have current students to speak with, so hopefully this helps you make your decision. Best of luck!:luck:

No offense guys but it looks like this program sux. The red flags seem quite apparent, and 1/30 in the DO16??? That's worse odds I woulda thought if they pulled a random app from AACOMAS...

Does anyone know how many students out of 30 actually applied for DO2016?
Because I was told by the MHS adviser at Touro that the MHS class of 2011 had 34 students, and only half of that number even applied for DO2015.
She didn't say how many of the half who applied actually got into the program.
However, she did say that for the rest of the class who didn't apply for DO2015, 3 applied to and got into the PA program, and the remaining students went to other schools (not specific).

For those students who were in the MHS2011 and even MHS2012 class, is the above information accurate?

Also MHS2012 students, please keep us updated about the acceptance rate of the 9 people who got interviews for DO2016.

So far of the 9 who interviewed...1 Acceptance, 1 Rejection, 3 High Waitlisted, 2 Medium Waitlisted, and 2 are still pending.

Please refer to 'TheTruth12345' for specific admissions stats. It is a very detailed and accurate posting.

More than half of the initial 30 MHS 2012 students were/are interested in Touro's DO program. However, if you remediate one class (which is not uncommon) you are not in consideration for DO marticulation.
3 out of the 3 who applied to PA got in, this is true. So if you are thinking PA, this could be a seemless path in, for they seem more receptive.

Does anyone know how many students out of 30 actually applied for DO2016?
Because I was told by the MHS adviser at Touro that the MHS class of 2011 had 34 students, and only half of that number even applied for DO2015.
She didn't say how many of the half who applied actually got into the program.
However, she did say that for the rest of the class who didn't apply for DO2015, 3 applied to and got into the PA program, and the remaining students went to other schools (not specific).

For those students who were in the MHS2011 and even MHS2012 class, is the above information accurate?

Also MHS2012 students, please keep us updated about the acceptance rate of the 9 people who got interviews for DO2016.
I'm not sure if you're getting your years mixed up. MHS 12 started with 30 students (in 2011). Six dropped when they realized they couldn't cut it or left voluntarily for personal reasons. Out of the original 30, all but one or two wanted to enter the DO16 program and applied. I can't speak as to whether they actually all got their applications in on time, but no one has said they didn't.

So far, two of the class have been accepted to other COMs. One is on the high wait list here and prefers TUN. -Most likely the high wait listed students will be accepted here.- The other will go to the other school this August. He was not granted an interview here, even after successfully passing the coursework. I don't think any others have been accepted to other programs yet. If anyone is going to a different program, it is because they were rejected by TUN. Yes, we applied to other schools too, but prefer to come here. Most were rejected for failing to meet the 25 MCAT, regardless of having passed the program.

Others were rejected for having to remediate one or more classes. That is not the fault of the school.

Please refer to Truth12345 above. Those are accurate numbers. We couldn't remember if MHS11 had 16 or 18 members originally, but there were no more than 18. Most matriculated into DO15 and the admission stats are representative.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're getting your years mixed up. MHS 12 started with 30 students (in 2011). Six dropped when they realized they couldn't cut it or left voluntarily for personal reasons. Out of the original 30, all but one or two wanted to enter the DO16 program and applied. I can't speak as to whether they actually all got their applications in on time, but no one has said they didn't.

So far, two of the class have been accepted to other COMs. One is on the high wait list here and prefers TUN. -Most likely the high wait listed students will be accepted here.- The other will go to the other school this August. He was not granted an interview here, even after successfully passing the coursework. I don't think any others have been accepted to other programs yet. If anyone is going to a different program, it is because they were rejected by TUN. Yes, we applied to other schools too, but prefer to come here. Most were rejected for failing to meet the 25 MCAT, regardless of having passed the program.

Others were rejected for having to remediate one or more classes. That is not the fault of the school.

Please refer to Truth12345 above. Those are accurate numbers. We couldn't remember if MHS11 had 16 or 18 members originally, but there were no more than 18. Most matriculated into DO15 and the admission stats are representative.

The MHS advisor said she wasn't sure about the stats for MHS2012, which started in 2011. She said that last years class (MHS2011) had 34 students, and only half of them applied for DO2015.
So, its interesting that your saying there were no more than 18 people in MHS2011. I'm not doubting your info, but you would be surprised how much conflicting information I'm getting from the shool and outside sources!!!!!! I was even surprised, because they had initially told me that the MHS class capacity is 30 and they never go over that capacity. So I said "your saying that Touro admitted 4 students over capacity for MHS2011?" she said "yes".!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm a current Touro NV MHS c/o 2012 student. I'll update you all. We currently have a class of 24 MHS students, and 21 applied to DO programs while 3 are applying to PA programs. As far as I know, only ONE person has been accepted into the DO-2016 class. 3 people are high-waitlisted, 2 people are medium waitlisted, and everyone else is rejected (there might be 1-2 more people medium-waitlisted but I only know of two.)
Maybe things will be better for you guys next year but I WOULD NOT reccomend coming here. This program only exists to make Touro money. Its clear they don't give MHS students the proper resources or time to succeed.

It does suck, I'm in the c/o 2012. I honestly don't recommend this program to anyone. I'm currently high-waitlisted. I could hear back in a week or in 2 months or never...

Last edited:
Is this school still accepting applications for this cycle ?

Good luck to you guys

Last edited: