Touro NY vs Touro CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed light on these two schools? Is one of them better than the other?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone shed light on these two schools? Is one of them better than the other?

Thanks

I have heard (from others. for once not my own assessment) that TouroCOM NY is probably going to be the better education, but being new and all it hasnt been so quite yet. I've been told TouroCA is somewhat of the booby-prize of DO schools, but still.. the education is more than sufficient there.

im in touroNY. I love it to death. Has issues that make you grumble, but the education is everything i could ask for and more. But I'd probably just say go viist both and take in both areas. Given that CA gets a bad rep for underperforming its potential and NY gets the same bad rep for being 3 years old and not yet reaching its potential, its a crap shoot. Go to the one you like spending 2-4 years in more.

I'm at Touro-NY. I know student who is a third-year at Touro-CA, and have visited the campus as well.

I'm very happy with the education I'm getting here in NYC. It was an adventure to move here and it seemed intimidating- but I couldn't be happier with my decision.

In terms of facilities- TouroNY has the advantage. It is a new school, that shouldn't be a surprise.

The area around the facilities- I would also give this to NY. Harlem itself isn't anything particularly appealing, but you're minutes away from everything New York City has to offer. Vallejo is not appealing in any way! The only advantage I see to its location is the proximity to San Francisco.

Education- I feel like we have worked through 95% of our growing pains here at Touro-NY and now we can finally get down to producing consistently good classes of students. Touro-CA currently has a bit of an edge with regards to faculty stability, however I see that leveling out within the next year.

While our clinical rotations have a bad reputation on SDN, they are not bad at all. We have a wide variety of experiences available to us- from situations where you are essentially one-on-one with an attending (without residents!) to the more standard situation of a larger group. While our core spots are not in manhattan, they are close and we have many more than we need.
And of course being in NYC is great for electives- there are many well known hospitals here for us to take advantage of.

PM if you have any specific questions, and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at Touro-NY. I know student who is a third-year at Touro-CA, and have visited the campus as well.

I'm very happy with the education I'm getting here in NYC. It was an adventure to move here and it seemed intimidating- but I couldn't be happier with my decision.

In terms of facilities- TouroNY has the advantage. It is a new school, that shouldn't be a surprise.

The area around the facilities- I would also give this to NY. Harlem itself isn't anything particularly appealing, but you're minutes away from everything New York City has to offer. Vallejo is not appealing in any way! The only advantage I see to its location is the proximity to San Francisco.

Education- I feel like we have worked through 95% of our growing pains here at Touro-NY and now we can finally get down to producing consistently good classes of students. Touro-CA currently has a bit of an edge with regards to faculty stability, however I see that leveling out within the next year.

While our clinical rotations have a bad reputation on SDN, they are not bad at all. We have a wide variety of experiences available to us- from situations where you are essentially one-on-one with an attending (without residents!) to the more standard situation of a larger group. While our core spots are not in manhattan, they are close and we have many more than we need.
And of course being in NYC is great for electives- there are many well known hospitals here for us to take advantage of.

PM if you have any specific questions, and good luck.

what they said :thumbup: (did anyone really think I would go a full 24 hours without talking up my school. come on. its what i do. That and disparage IMGs)

Well, its nice to see someone else besides DocEspana offer an opinion on Touro-NY...lol

Hey OP, I spoke with some residents and 3rd and 4th years who had only good things to say about Touro-Ca. The only thing that really tripped me up is how often and how far a particular 3rd year I spoke with traveled for her rotations.

I'm a 2nd year at Touro-CA and would like to put my two cents in.

Touro-CA is by far anything BUT a "booby-prize" in comparison to DO schools. This school has been around since 1997 and changes in curriculum have changed significantly since then. We're on a systems-based learning currently and it's been working well the few years it has been implemented. I don't see our stable faculty "leveling out within the next year." It's an advantage having faculty that have been here from the beginning and who have been there every step of the way to develop effective curriculum. It's important to have people around who know what works and what didn't.

I encourage everyone (as I have in previous posts), do not rely on hearsay and if you have concerns about specific schools, find current students to talk with. Choosing a med school is a HUGE task, but you want to make sure you've done all the legitimate research you can to ensure you've made a good decision in the end. PM me if you'd like and if you're in the area, you're welcome to shadow a student for a day/half day and take another tour at any time.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 2nd year at Touro-CA and would like to put my two cents in.

Touro-CA is by far anything BUT a "booby-prize" in comparison to DO schools. This school has been around since 1997 and changes in curriculum have changed significantly since then. We're on a systems-based learning currently and it's been working well the few years it has been implemented. I don't see our stable faculty "leveling out within the next year." It's an advantage having faculty that have been here from the beginning and who have been there every step of the way to develop effective curriculum. It's important to have people around who know what works and what didn't.

Good luck!

I believe the leveling out comment was more that touroNY is having faculty who are around for a few years now, which will allow the "more stable stock of faculty" comparison to level out between the two.

We use the same system you guys use. you know. cause we stole it from you :laugh:. Its really good. I'll stick with my original comment that there is a lot to love about both. I was just highlighting what the heresay about both schools are. I'm aware that they are eerily similar since they are put together by the same minds and leadership. The specific advantages of one over the othr are either 1) geographic 2) personal comfort level with school or 3) so damn specific that they are outside the scope of this thread, since this is more 'broad thoughts'

I believe the leveling out comment was more that touroNY is having faculty who are around for a few years now, which will allow the "more stable stock of faculty" comparison to level out between the two.

Yes, this is what I meant.

In my opinion the 2 schools are very close in many areas and it will depend on what type of person you are that becomes the deciding factor.

~CA is going to be more laid back and is in a much more relax setting.

~NY is obviously fast paced and the surrounding people probably wont be as nice as those in the San Fran Bay area.

~CA has been around longer and has had more time for trial and error...

~TouroNY consists of the top 4 floors of a building in Harlem...

Hope this sheds some light on things!

Best of luck to all!!! :xf:

Last edited:
~TouroNY consists of the top 2 floors of a building in Harlem...

Tiny clarification. TouroNY is floors 2-5 of the building. So its the top 4 floors. Technically there is the ground floor too, but thats just elevators and storage. So it's stupid to count that.

Also, with the occasional exception, people in NYC are much nicer than I expected- and I'm used to people in the midwest.

Go to New York. You'll be happier there.

Look at the school feedback for touro ny vs touro ca

No one seems to be asking about this so hopefully it's not a big deal, but I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the religious aspect of both schools? I just read on the Touro-CA site that they strictly adhere to the Jewish faith and I'm wondering if I would fit it. I am Jewish but my family is from the Soviet Union and thus were unable to practice their religion so I grew up not really practicing either. If I said something like I want to go here to learn about my heritage despite never really having practiced would they think I was some sort of phony?

Also how do religious observances affect education? For the most part it just sounds like more days off from classes so does that extend the school year? Does all of campus shut down on Fridays?

Finally, I'm not a resident of CA or NY. Are either of the campuses biased towards their state?

My stats are cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.3 MCAT 29, if that affects how I might fit in at either campus please let me know too!