Touro Univeristy - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an e-mail saying my app was withdrawn by request when I definitely did not do so. Had to call and get another confirmation. Does this kind of thing occur often?

I had that same thing happen to me in early January. I called and found out that they meant to send me an ii, but sent the wrong email.

Members don't see this ad.

Been waiting for what seems like ages for an II.

Reactions: 1 user
I was sent an II here. Will be taking it. Any advice?
Relax. Haha.

I was feeling really down about the whole app process when I interviewed here, so I expended the minimum effort to prep. Touro is very comfortable, it may have worked to my benefit.

I did 3 things: read the schools website and noted a couple questions, read the Wikipedia page on medical ethics, and revisited my personal story and the unique things it allows me to offer a school.

Otherwise, relax and be sure to answer their questions and stay on topic!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from the 2/2 interview date heard back today? At the interview I thought they said today was the day the committee was meeting.

Interviewed 2/1. They said decisions will be emailed today. Good luck to everyone!!!

Accepted OOS! Very excited. Interviewed sometime in early February!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats all! Does anyone know when the next interview dates are (specifically in February) and if it's possible to move up and get something sooner?

Does this school contact applicants at any point after being complete? I was complete mid-october and haven't heard a single thing from the school since then. Do they notify if you're on hold/waitlist for interview or anything like that. Or is it just II or rejection?

Congrats all! Does anyone know when the next interview dates are (specifically in February) and if it's possible to move up and get something sooner?
You can get something sooner, but you have to be able to make your travel arrangements at the last minute. When I called to schedule my interview the earliest date was March 7th. I asked to be notified if something opened sooner and wound up interviewing on 2/1 (notified of the opening on 1/27). It being last minute wasn't too much of a problem because I'm IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted and will be applying to MPH program as well. Does anyone know of the advantages of doing the dual degree program rather than getting the MPH from another university later on after residency/fellowship? I assume the dual program would help residency match competitiveness (of course that's not my main motivation for the MPH)

Accepted and will be applying to MPH program as well. Does anyone know of the advantages of doing the dual degree program rather than getting the MPH from another university later on after residency/fellowship? I assume the dual program would help residency match competitiveness (of course that's not my main motivation for the MPH)

I thinks it's probably cheaper than most programs (I think, I could be wrong but I seem to remember then highlighting that at interview). Plus you have the value of incorporating it with what you're learning at the time. Also there's the argument that you're busy studying most hours of your time, why not add on a little more then rather than waiting until you're out of school to hit the books (rather than just enjoying life post grad). Personally it's not for me, but it does look interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am still waiting for a possible II.......... what are the odds at this point ? 28 MCAT, 3.5 GPA.

I am still waiting for a possible II.......... what are the odds at this point ? 28 MCAT, 3.5 GPA.
They interview through May and give acceptances through May. You still have time. Good luck!!!

I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary. I am IS, visited the school for a tour, and loved the student culture/vibe and classes (sat in on a lecture). Is it worth calling their office to check my status? Really hoping to get an interview here!

I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary. I am IS, visited the school for a tour, and loved the student culture/vibe and classes (sat in on a lecture). Is it worth calling their office to check my status? Really hoping to get an interview here!
When did you submit your secondary? I would say give it some time. The interview cycle goes pretty long (I believe May?), so there is still plenty of time.

I've decided to give up my acceptance since I was accepted at a school that is a better overall fit for me. Good luck to everyone and I hope my seat goes to one of you :luck:

Does Touro-CA offer any merit or need-based scholarships either before or after first year matriculation? For example, being in the top quartile of the class after first year, or anything like that?

I couldn't find anything on the website/student handbook. Thanks :)

Complete Feb 11, received an II invite today! Does anyone who has called recently know what dates are available? I live outside the U.S. and won't be able to call until tomorrow

Same. Complete October.

I thought I was done with interviews this cycle, but no! Just got an II from Touro today!
IS, LizzyM 68

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten their immunizations done yet? How crucial is it to make the 60 day deadline? I have a good chance of getting off the waitlist for a school that is closer to home for me, but I of course don't want to lose my seat here should that not work out.

Has anyone gotten their immunizations done yet? How crucial is it to make the 60 day deadline? I have a good chance of getting off the waitlist for a school that is closer to home for me, but I of course don't want to lose my seat here should that not work out.

I have heard that they are not extremely strict about these deadlines, but I don't know for sure. If you contact their office and say you are having an issue getting it done in time, they might let you know (I would not say the real reason why obviously!). But, at any school you go to, you are going to need to have all of this stuff done anyway, so you may as well get started now...

Anyone who went to the feb 23 interview receive an acceptance/waitlist/decline email? We are supposed to get those today correct?

II about 30 mins ago. Complete very late, 1/15 due to my own stupidity about not checking the spam folder. Will be attending!

Any tips will be appreciated! Looks like its a standard panel interview, no MMI, can anyone confirm this? :)

Placed on Medium Alternate list. A little bummed but I'll take it for now

II about 30 mins ago. Complete very late, 1/15 due to my own stupidity about not checking the spam folder. Will be attending!

Any tips will be appreciated! Looks like its a standard panel interview, no MMI, can anyone confirm this? :)

Yup! Just know that you'll be with other applicants as well during the interview. Best of luck! It's very relaxed and enjoyable.

II today 3.65 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA 506. Los Angeles resident, military, mediocre ECs. May not have enough money to even go due to other interviews. It is a blessing to have these first world problems. Just giving SDNers more data on the people they're inviting this late in the cycle.

Hey all. Where is the facebook group for accepted students!? Let me in!!!

Anyone else here going to the 3/22 interview date? Also, can anyone give any insight into how these ranked waitlists work?

Anyone else here going to the 3/22 interview date? Also, can anyone give any insight into how these ranked waitlists work?

in the decision email after the interview, you will be told whether you are on the high, middle or low priority waitlist. They said that waitlist movement should start in late May, but based on last year's thread, it didn't really start until late June. There didn't seem to be any big movement from the waitlist either.

Within each tiers of the waitlist, Touro ranks invidual applicants, and they offer acceptances based on your ranking in the waitlist. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to tell you your ranking.

They invite everyone from the high alternate list and then move to medium then low priority alternates.

Preparing for this interview is different from any other school because of the format and time. There's also a ton of potential questions on the interview feedback page.
From what I understand, the interview lasts 60 mins but there are only 3 questions that you answer. Is this correct?

Preparing for this interview is different from any other school because of the format and time. There's also a ton of potential questions on the interview feedback page.
From what I understand, the interview lasts 60 mins but there are only 3 questions that you answer. Is this correct?
Didn't you already interview?

Based on my experience, this seems accurate. I suppose they could ask more, time-depending.

that is pretty much correct. you will interview with appx 4 others. in my interview, they asked us all different things that were mostly geared towards our specific applications, but i have seen posts about interview groups who were all asked similar questions. i felt that my questions were pretty fair and not terribly difficult to answer, but at least one of them was definitely based on an area of weakness in my application ("can you tell me about a time when you had to show leadership/lead something" sort of thing. basically none of my ECs are leadership). another one was on an area of strength in my application ("your response about osteopathic medicine on the secondary was exemplary, expand on it insofar as how you see yourself putting it into practice in real life" but more eloquent than i am being right now!) and then another i honestly don't remember what it was except that i had to ask for clarification because i was really not sure what he was asking me! but he was very nice about it and willing to explain. some other Qs asked of the others in my group were about the research they had done, how their experiences were influencing their decision to pursue medicine, how their background informed their understanding of medicine, etc. obviously, no 2 interview groups will ever be the same, so i don't feel that i am breaching any specific confidence here. if you know your application well and are able to discuss your experiences, including those that are not detailed thoroughly, you will be OK. just go in confident about yourself, your path, and the reasons why you are there in the first place. the panel was 2 faculty and 1 student, each asked each interviewee 1 question.

Hey there guys. I have declided my acceptance to Touro in favor of another school. I sent this in via snail mail yesterday so they should have it by the end of the week. Hope that someone on the waitlist gets my spot. Good luck everyone!

Hey there guys. I have declided my acceptance to Touro in favor of another school. I sent this in via snail mail yesterday so they should have it by the end of the week. Hope that someone on the waitlist gets my spot. Good luck everyone!

Congrats on your other acceptance, and thank you! :)

Got interview invitation on Friday. Already got accepted to Touro Nevada, and have paid the deposit. I am not sure if I should go to the interview? What are the pros, cons? I really liked TUNCOM, it was very friendly, living there is cheap. Any advice?

Interviewing here tomorrow and staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Let me know if any of you are around and want to grab dinner and hang out.

approximately how full is the class?
And are interview invites still being sent out?

Anyone interviewing on the 28th Monday and staying at the Marriot?

Interviewed early March.
High alternate woop woop :)

Thank goodness it's not a straight up rejection!