Touro Univeristy - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if "Cumulative GPA to Date" includes past college GPAs?...that's what it sounds like..

Members don't see this ad.

The section for GPAs by School is empty on my AACOMAS app as well. Cumulative GPA to date does include all past college GPAs. You will probably need to calculate GPAs by school yourself

Last edited:
Ya, that's what I ended up doing, but then once I found out my calculated overall GPA was lower than AACOMAS' calculated overall GPA I decided to call AACOMAS on Monday and see if they can fix the error...we'll see

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, that's what I ended up doing, but then once I found out my calculated overall GPA was lower than AACOMAS' calculated overall GPA I decided to call AACOMAS on Monday and see if they can fix the error...we'll see
Good luck man, I've been trying to get them to fix the error they made on my app for three weeks now. Looks like they are making errors with a lot of people and are really behind

Not seeing any interview action on this page. Anyone hear anything? My secondary was complete 7/28 so it's probably too soon but I figured I would ask

I spoke with an admissions person yesterday and she said they haven't even started reviewing applications yet so I wouldn't expect anything for at least another month

Wow, these touro folks seems to be going on a totally different schedule than most other folks. Anyone have any idea why they wait so long?

I emailed a question to the admissions dean (Steven Davis, Stevo, the Steve-meister...hehe) and got a auto-response saying he is out of the office until August 25th.

Perhaps that is the reason behind the delays.

I submitted on 8/13 apparently. No word.

I emailed a question to the admissions dean (Steven Davis, Stevo, the Steve-meister...hehe) and got a auto-response saying he is out of the office until August 25th.

Perhaps that is the reason behind the delays.

I submitted on 8/13 apparently. No word.
Good to know. The admissions director at Marian also went on vacation until Monday. Maybe they are all at a conference. Seems like an odd time for admissions officers to take vacation, but heck what do I know? Maybe they are just getting ready for a long interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm a 2018 TUCOM Student.
Before I applied, I researched everyone D.O. school in the USA and I only applied to this school as it my clear top choice.
Here are a few of the reasons why I believe Touro excels as a school:
*The OMM department is very good, and makes a large effort to produce students competent at Osteopathic Manipulation. Many of my friends at other schools who are passionate about OMM are envious of the quality of the osteopathic education here and wish they had gone here. There are a lot of different facets of the program that make it very good. Conversely, many medical students who apply DO or MD dislike OMM. Unless those students have a change of heart, they are typically unhappy they are here and have to put so much work into OMM.
*This school is an anti gunner school. Students go out of their way to help their classmates succeed and regularly share resources/collaborate. Our class is very close, most of us are friends, and when we have time off, we go on amazing trips together. Students at other schools I have talked to told me their classes will stratify in small groups that don't help each other and are aggressively fighting for the top class rank (which doesn't really matter btw), chronically stressed and in general not happy. I never liked being competitive and gunning whereas I highly value friends and family, so that is a good mix.
*The faculty (including deans) are amazing. Many (not all, but many) of the teachers here are good enough that I would essentially want to apply to a program just because I knew they were teaching. They also sincerely care about the student's welfare and go out of their way to support it.
*Or putting the previous together, our school basically feels like a family and many of us stay quite close for years after graduation. That's a really nice thing to have.
*Everyone here is extremely open minded. Overall the school is much more on the liberal than conservative end of things, but even with that I have been amazed at how open minded everyone is to alternative ideas and activities outside their repertoire of previous experiences. Like the quality of the OMM program, this is another point of envy I have heard from many non Touro Students.

Other things I like about the school (but don't weigh as heavily at the previous)
*Curriculum is well designed and gets improved each year.
*Classes are recorded so you can watch lectures at home.
*The is a big emphasis in the primary care department in training you to be a competent physician, which pays back big time when you go into 3rd and 4th year (and has given our school a good reputation from rotation sites).
*The anatomy program is very good (this goes with the osteopathic focus basically). We have a lot of dissection time with cadavers both years, great anatomy faculty and a well ventilated anatomy lab, which is huge.
*We're in the bay area, which is a really nice place to be for so so many different things, including California Residency spots.

Hope you found that helpful, good luck!

Reactions: 13 users
Before I applied, I researched everyone D.O. school in the USA and I only applied to this school as it my clear top choice.
*The OMM department is very good, and makes a large effort to produce students competent at Osteopathic Manipulation. Many of my friends at other schools who are passionate about OMM are envious of the quality of the osteopathic education here and wish they had gone here. There are a lot of different facets of the program that make it very good. Conversely, many medical students who apply DO or MD dislike OMM. Unless those students have a change of heart, they are typically unhappy they are here and have to put so much work into OMM.
*This school is an anti gunner school. Students go out of their way to help their classmates succeed and regularly share resources/collaborate. Our class is very close, most of us are friends, and when we have time off, we go on amazing trips together. Students at other schools I have talked to told me their classes will stratify in small groups that don't help each other and are aggressively fighting for the top class rank (which doesn't really matter btw), chronically stressed and in general not happy. I never liked being competitive and gunning whereas I highly value friends and family, so that is a good mix.
*The faculty (including deans) are amazing. Many (not all, but many) of the teachers here are good enough that I would essentially want to apply to a program just because I knew they were teaching. They also sincerely care about the student's welfare and go out of their way to support it.
*Or putting the previous together, our school basically feels like a family and many of us stay quite close for years after graduation. That's a really nice thing to have.
*Everyone here is extremely open minded. Overall the school is much more on the liberal than conservative end of things, but even with that I have been amazed at how open minded everyone is to alternative ideas and activities outside their repertoire of previous experiences. Like the quality of the OMM program, this is another point of envy I have heard from many non Touro Students.

Other things I like about the school (but don't weigh as heavily at the previous)
*The is a big emphasis in the primary care department in training you to be a competent physician, which pays back big time when you go into 3rd and 4th year (and has given our school a good reputation from rotation sites).
*The anatomy program is very good (this goes with the osteopathic focus basically). We have a lot of dissection time with cadavers both years, great anatomy faculty and a well ventilated anatomy lab, which is huge.
*We're in the bay area, which is a really nice place to be for so so many different things, including California Residency spots.

Great post. Thank you.

Please tell the admissions office to have a look at Pope Chacha Stix right away!

Received my primary today, an hour later they sent me the secondary. Quick turnaround!

July 21st. Can anyone tell me if they managed to get through the phone and schedule an interview?

I also received an II today and called as soon as I got the email. No one answered so I left a message, but I haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing they were closed today or left early for the holiday weekend. I'm excited to schedule a date- this is one of my top choice schools!

OOS (east coast)
3.4 sga, 3.5 cgpa
29 MCAT (9,9,11)

Reactions: 2 users
I also received an II today and called as soon as I got the email. No one answered so I left a message, but I haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing they were closed today or left early for the holiday weekend. I'm excited to schedule a date- this is one of my top choice schools!

OOS (east coast)
3.4 sga, 3.5 cgpa
29 MCAT (9,9,11)
Ok. Good to know that I'm not alone. My stats are similar to yours too.

I'm a 2019 at Touro..and while I've only been there for 5 weeks, I'll say the above is pretty dead on.

Our class is very collaborative and the smaller class sizes at Touro makes it feel like more of an actual community where you know pretty much everyone. Along with classes being recorded, the school provides objectives for each lecture, so you know exactly what to study. I think this takes a HUGE obstacle out of the equation, particularly for first years. Figuring out what to study can be very difficult, but Touro helps us focus our efforts on where to study.

I will say faculty thus far has been very helpful...if not the best lecturers. I'd say 60% of our lecturers aren't so great...40% are pretty solid...but again I'm only 5 weeks in and haven't experienced as much as the quoted poster.

The bay area is awesome...don't be put off by Vallejo. First, it's not THAT bad...and second, you definitely don't have to live in Vallejo. Many students live 30-40 minutes away with no problems.

Touro really is a great school imo, with the people/atmosphere being the biggest plus as far as I can tell, at this point in time.

I'm a 2019 at Touro..and while I've only been there for 5 weeks, I'll say the above is pretty dead on.

Our class is very collaborative and the smaller class sizes at Touro makes it feel like more of an actual community where you know pretty much everyone. Along with classes being recorded, the school provides objectives for each lecture, so you know exactly what to study. I think this takes a HUGE obstacle out of the equation, particularly for first years. Figuring out what to study can be very difficult, but Touro helps us focus our efforts on where to study.

I will say faculty thus far has been very helpful...if not the best lecturers. I'd say 60% of our lecturers aren't so great...40% are pretty solid...but again I'm only 5 weeks in and haven't experienced as much as the quoted poster.

The bay area is awesome...don't be put off by Vallejo. First, it's not THAT bad...and second, you definitely don't have to live in Vallejo. Many students live 30-40 minutes away with no problems.

Touro really is a great school imo, with the people/atmosphere being the biggest plus as far as I can tell, at this point in time.
I can't wait to be interviewed at Touro. One of my top schools. And love the Bay area too.

Reactions: 1 user
A little late to the party, but just submitted my secondary! That was a beast.

Reactions: 1 user
How accurate do you all think this is (taken from tuc-com website) :
"Many medical schools invite all candidates to submit a supplemental application without screening. Those who receive a supplemental application invitation from Touro University California have the added advantage of knowing that, on initial review, it has been determined that they are competitive."

So if you receive a secondary is it safe to say your stats have been considered good enough to be considered for an interview?

How accurate do you all think this is (taken from tuc-com website) :
"Many medical schools invite all candidates to submit a supplemental application without screening. Those who receive a supplemental application invitation from Touro University California have the added advantage of knowing that, on initial review, it has been determined that they are competitive."

So if you receive a secondary is it safe to say your stats have been considered good enough to be considered for an interview?

My understanding is that it's just a way for schools to get a secondary fee since "competitive" is the bare minimum for the school. However, this varies from school to school given some heavily pre-screen for secondaries. I don't think Touro-CA did since I received a secondary immediately after submitting my primary...

My understanding is that it's just a way for schools to get a secondary fee since "competitive" is the bare minimum for the school. However, this varies from school to school given some heavily pre-screen for secondaries. I don't think Touro-CA did since I received a secondary immediately after submitting my primary...

I see okay! Thanks! Do you know what school heavily pre-screen?

Got an email about 30 mins ago. Grew up less than two hours from campus in rural northern California. 28, 3.5/3.65. Published research, lots of shadowing, the usual stuff...

II by email as well :) OOS, complete 8/13. 29 c3.54/s3.52, non-traditional. At work all day so I haven't called to schedule yet. Hope the II keep coming for everyone!

II today via email! :) OOS 31/3.51s/3.69c

Reactions: 1 users
congrats to everyone who received an II! when will you all be interviewing?

II! 31 MCAT/3.65 sGPA/3.56 cGPA/Lots of clinical experience and leadership

Congrats to those who got II! When did you all receive the complete email?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this school does silent rejections? I have been complete since late July and heard nothing.

Reactions: 1 users