Touro university CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope your interview went well stigpharm! J

Jw - what would you guys pick.. Western or touro ?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a thread for class of 2016 Touro students yet? Or a fb group? haha. Did any of you that are attending look into housing yet?

I'm facing that same dilemma!! What are your pros/cons for each school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a thread for class of 2016 Touro students yet? Or a fb group? haha. Did any of you that are attending look into housing yet?
I'm attending! I started looking into it and I heard a lot of students use http://www.musticorealty.com/ to search for housing, but it seems like they haven't updated their listings yet. Are you planning to live on Mare Island?

Thank you! I think my interview and writing sample went well. Not to scare everybody, but the dean is very aware of this thread on SDN.

To answer your question RX090998098009:

Western - If you live in Socal (Best place on earth).
Touro - For degree options.

I'm attending! I started looking into it and I heard a lot of students use http://www.musticorealty.com/ to search for housing, but it seems like they haven't updated their listings yet. Are you planning to live on Mare Island?

I heard its a lot cheaper living off the island about 10-15mins away (some place near target, costco, safeway, shopping center, etc)

I'm facing that same dilemma!! What are your pros/cons for each school?

Hey Pannnda, I'm close to family at both schools so heres my list (and I'm not sure if everything is true but its what people have told me)

Western:
Pros - Socal, easy to find living (helix apartments), cheaper, technology (dispersed notes), well-known and fairly good reputation, students I met seemed to love it there and were not as stressed, diverse rotations
Cons - Oversaturated market in socal so difficult rotations, only one degree, lower pass rate on exams then touro

Touro :
Pros: dual-degree, great pass rates on exams, and in my opinion, it could easily become one of the best cop in ca
cons- difficult housing, high deposit ($2000), relatively new school (reputation??), not alot of rotations

It seems like Western has a lot more pros but thinking for the future, having two degrees is a HUGE plus. Academically, Touro is very sturdy so IDK. They both have interprofessional work so its difficult to say. What about you??

Hey Pannnda, I'm close to family at both schools so heres my list (and I'm not sure if everything is true but its what people have told me)

Western:
Pros - Socal, easy to find living (helix apartments), cheaper, technology (dispersed notes), well-known and fairly good reputation, students I met seemed to love it there and were not as stressed, diverse rotations
Cons - Oversaturated market in socal so difficult rotations, only one degree, lower pass rate on exams then touro

Touro :
Pros: dual-degree, great pass rates on exams, and in my opinion, it could easily become one of the best cop in ca
cons- difficult housing, high deposit ($2000), relatively new school (reputation??), not alot of rotations

It seems like Western has a lot more pros but thinking for the future, having two degrees is a HUGE plus. Academically, Touro is very sturdy so IDK. They both have interprofessional work so its difficult to say. What about you??
Hi RX091607,

Western:
Pros: Complete block system, closer to home, well known, and plenty of rotation experiences. Also, they get you started on interprofessional skills right away during p1. That's great.
Cons: It's in the ghetto part of Pomona. Everyone I met in my interview told me to move out of Pomona and commute from Claremont or Montclair, which are nicer areas. I actually asked about that Helix complex - it's really expensive and my friend told me that you'll see questionable people kind of walking around there. Oh and cars get broken into in the parking garage. I guess Western can use more security? But anyway, another point that really hit me was the fact that there are pharmacy schools that may be opening soon in the neighborhood of Western. Since it is up to the student at Western to find 900 internship hours on their own, I'm worried that this may saturate the market with an impossible number of students who will be competing for internships. (I could be wrong and I actually hope I am).

Touro:
Pros: Dual-degree, recruit professors from UCSF, the island (I personally think it has a lot of potential!), Jewish holidays, Triple Jump Exam, 19 week semesters to somewhat decompress the already compressed workload, and I'm assuming the 2+2 program means you have a better opportunity of getting your internship hours completed before graduation. And yes, I agree, with such a young program with great highlights thus far, I think it has potential to be elite as well.
Cons: High deposit, rainy weather, not as pretty of a campus as Western, smaller library, not as established, and food is supposedly hard to come by on the campus.

I'm actually going forward with my deposit to Touro... I took this last week to think really hard about it. I'm excited to be part of a program that is on the rise and I want to be part of that excitement! I'll get over the high deposit sooner or later. At least 100% of it goes back to your tuition. I'm sure wherever you end up, you'll be happy. I think both of these schools provide great programs, which is why we even raise the question which one we should go to!

i plan on staying at best western since it is closer, and walk to the mariott that morning to take the shuttle.

Hi camnvan,
I would like to ask you about interview questions & essay; since I will have an interview next week.
I also would like to ask you if I come from Oakland airport; then is it easy to drive to the school area. If I read your quote before I will choose best western too. I will stay in Ramada; is it close to school? Marriot is too expensive.
Thanks alot!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

First, congrts on your acceptance to Touro, CA.
I will have an interview next week. Please share your interview questions & how about the 45 minutes essay if you don't mind. Thanks alot!

Good luck to all interviewing! I just got my acceptance and was wondering if anyone else here is going for sure. Im not great at navigating SDN so.. is there somewhere else I should be posting?

I would like to ask you about the interview day. If you don't mind, please share your interview & how about the essay. I will have an interview next week. Thanks alot!

@Twentytwelve2

Have you made your appointment for your interview yet? Looks like we're in the same batch of interviewees. I received my invite on the same day.

I scheduled for 3/21. You?

Also, anyone that have interviewed have any tips?

My appt. is 3/22. Good luck to all of us.

I would like to ask you about the interview day. If you don't mind, please share your interview & how about the essay. I will have an interview next week. Thanks alot!

There is already plenty of information on those topics in this thread. You just need to go through them :)

I recently got accepted into Touro CA COP. The interview process was quick and straight forward. My greatest advice would be to have an answer prepared for the question, "Where do you see pharmacy in 2026?" I was asked that question and I've seen it time and time again on the interview section of SDN. Also, don't be discouraged if the interviewer tries to challenge your answers. Stay calm and stay grounded and get through the question politely. I think they just want to see how you handle stressful situations like that.

Also, don't worry too much about the writing portion. You basically respond to a passage in a basic essay defending your point. And no, it had nothing to do with pharmacy.

First, Congrts on your acceptance to Touro.
Also Thanks for your advice.

There is already plenty of information on those topics in this thread. You just need to go through them :)

thanks for your reply. I am trying to scan through each thread; but I am still super nervous!!!
I would like to ask you did you fly to Touro? Did you stay @ Marriot? If I stay at different hotel, not Marriot (too expensive); should I drive to Touro or taking EVan shuttle.
Thanks ahead.

thanks for your reply. I am trying to scan through each thread; but I am still super nervous!!!
I would like to ask you did you fly to Touro? Did you stay @ Marriot? If I stay at different hotel, not Marriot (too expensive); should I drive to Touro or taking EVan shuttle.
Thanks ahead.

I would personally just rent a car while staying in a cheaper motel in vallejo, its really easy to find the place with a gps.

I would personally just rent a car while staying in a cheaper motel in vallejo, its really easy to find the place with a gps.

I did exactly that. The Mariott is probably one of the most expensive places in Vallejo IMHO. Not many people went the Marriott route.

Does anyone know if they will be holding more interviews after March? I haven't heard anything from them since Dec after the supplementals =(

Touro interviews into April and perhaps May but I am not entirely sure about May.

Does anyone know if they will be holding more interviews after March? I haven't heard anything from them since Dec after the supplementals =(

Touro interviews into April and perhaps May but I am not entirely sure about May.

From what I heard, they're only doing April interviews if a substantial number of people refuse seats. So, March might be the end of the road. I'm very sorry to tell you this...:(

From what I heard, they're only doing April interviews if a substantial number of people refuse seats. So, March might be the end of the road. I'm very sorry to tell you this...:(

yea, that sucks, i heard that too.
but most likely there will be because UCSD, UCSF, UOP, USC are ending and some might drop the touro backup. I guess keep your hopes up, lol.

yea, that sucks, i heard that too.
but most likely there will be because UCSD, UCSF, UOP, USC are ending and some might drop the touro backup. I guess keep your hopes up, lol.

So basically I picked the last interview date for this cycle. Not good :s

I am scheduled for an April 5th interview. The school has an April 1st deadline and schools have these deadlines for a reason, I think they will hold more interviews in April. So there are still plenty of chances.

I am scheduled for an April 5th interview. The school has an April 1st deadline and schools have these deadlines for a reason, I think they will hold more interviews in April. So there are still plenty of chances.

there are chances but I wouldn't say plenty of chances, lol.

I am curious. Do any of you know how they decide who gets an interview? I know someone who thinks anyone can get an interview if their gpa is above average.

I am curious. Do any of you know how they decide who gets an interview? I know someone who thinks anyone can get an interview if their gpa is above average.

I wasn't necessarily above average at all. Haha i'm sure it has to do with other parts of your application.

I hope so too. I would like to see more SDNers get in. I just simply told you what I heard. I did not want to destroy anybody's hope. I am not Toby Flenderson.

All the answers to your questions are on the FAQ Touro cop website. They do a better job of explaining them than I were to explain to you :)

DAMN, that $2000 deposit kinda hurt -__-

Money is no object when it comes to a great education.

If I go to Touro I might as well give them a blank check...it wouldn't matter so much.

I wasn't necessarily above average at all. Haha i'm sure it has to do with other parts of your application.

Same, mine wasn't above average either. And I heard back fairly quick, too. And accepted. After having been through this year's cycle, I have a better picture of how interview invites work for most pharm schools. It's true what they say. Gpa plays a huge role, but it definitely isn't everything.

Keyword here is gps haha. If I didn't have a gps, I would have the hardest time navigating around mare island. My gosh, when I went there, it was foggy and I believe some streets were blocked that day.

Question-- I am interested in doing the dual degree... this is probably a really dumb question, but how much more is the tuition to do the MPH along with PharmD?? They didn't mention it at the interview day...

Question-- I am interested in doing the dual degree... this is probably a really dumb question, but how much more is the tuition to do the MPH along with PharmD?? They didn't mention it at the interview day...

It's about 20k more after you finish the program. Some of the classes in MPH can fulfill requirements for the Pharm D. I'm actually very interested in it and would do it if admitted. I've got some history to make and need all the education I can get. :cool:

It's about 20k more after you finish the program. Some of the classes in MPH can fulfill requirements for the Pharm D. I'm actually very interested in it and would do it if admitted. I've got some history to make and need all the education I can get. :cool:
ultimately i would LOVE to go here for that reason as well! If only i can get an interview, otherwise, Im lucked out! =/

It's actually 6,000 because it's dual and we only pay for the classes. If you look on the count up of costs of the mph program only calculate the units and that is our cost added to the pharmd. $6,000.. or is that per year?? so 6000 x 4 = 24000???

Last edited:
It's actually 6,000 because it's dual and we only pay for the classes. If you look on the count up of costs of the mph program only calculate the units and that is our cost added to the pharmd. $6,000.. or is that per year?? so 6000 x 4 = 24000???

You're right it is 24000 after 4 years. That's how it sums up. Still a bargin IMO.

When did you interview and when did you hear back? If you don't mind me asking? :)

Hey!..I interviewed 2/29 and heard back 3/12 :)
I am so happy! At least now I don't have to go to my USN (Roseman) interview lol

Okay, that means your decision came from the most recent time the adcom met. It's my turn next...

Hello everyone! I need your help in gathering some information and impressions. If you have time, please reply to this post. I've been accepted to Touro University and University of the Pacific. I know picking a pharmacy school to launch my career is a pretty major thing and want to make sure I'm thinking through everything. I've listed some pros and cons for each school and was wondering if you all think I need to consider anything else that's not on my list. I'd love to hear your viewpoint!

University of Pacific
PROS: old school with established reputation and connections, nice faculty, great student organizations, PharmD in 3 years, PharmD/MBA dual degree in 4 years

CONS: large class size of 200 students

Touro University
PROS: new school with innovative curriculum (triple jump exams, 2 years of rotations, block system), nice faculty, great student organizations, small class size of 100 students, PharmD/MPH dual degree in 4 years

CONS: new school that's not as established

Since I got accepted to Touro first, I've already paid my 2000 deposit and planned for housing. I've had my mind set on going to Touro for a while, but I just want to make sure I'm also giving UOP a thorough chance. What do you think?

Simply put, UOP, because of the benefits you listed. :)

I am in the same predicament as you! I paid my $2000 deposit and I am weighing the pros and cons of UOP and Touro. A touro student told me that your 900 internship hours are built into their 2 year rotations-- which is awesome. Other schools, your on your own to find your internships.. That's definitely a pro in my mind!