Touro university CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stig Pharm Simply put, UOP, because of the benefits you listed.

UOP definitely has great benefits and I'm hesitate to pass up a wonderful opportunity to go there, but Touro has great benefits as well! I guess it's just a matter of which school would fit me the best. My brain is going to mull about this for the next week for sure.

rxgirl3 I am in the same predicament as you! I paid my $2000 deposit and I am weighing the pros and cons of UOP and Touro. A touro student told me that your 900 internship hours are built into their 2 year rotations-- which is awesome. Other schools, your on your own to find your internships.. That's definitely a pro in my mind!

Cool, I didn't know Touro's curriculum also provided the 900 hours in addition to the 600 hours. That's definitely a pro! If you think of any other pros or cons between the two schools, please do share :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same predicament as you! I paid my $2000 deposit and I am weighing the pros and cons of UOP and Touro. A touro student told me that your 900 internship hours are built into their 2 year rotations-- which is awesome. Other schools, your on your own to find your internships.. That's definitely a pro in my mind!

UOP has only a three year curriculum, so you will finish one year ahead of everyone else. Hence, you will have and additional year of income to start paying back your student loans.

UOP has only a three year curriculum, so you will finish one year ahead of everyone else. Hence, you will have and additional year of income to start paying back your student loans.

hahaha. i like this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
...Defcon 1!...

Notices are e-mailed tomorrow for last interview cycle.:xf:

Just received my official acceptance letter :)

Now I have to decide between Touro and Pacific University (Oregon)

Congrats! It really depends on where you want to practice after graduating. If you don't mind staying a bit longer in Oregon go with pacific but touro can probably network you into CA sooner. Although it's kinda hard to distinguish yourself at pacific for a residency when it's all pass/no pass.

pacific is a 3 year school and no summers off, and both schools use the block system. I live in Portland Oregon and was not impressed by pacific. maybe you like it but i like touro better because you have summers off. ;) I have an interview with touro this next week so I will see what looks better.

Congrats! It really depends on where you want to practice after graduating. If you don't mind staying a bit longer in Oregon go with pacific but touro can probably network you into CA sooner. Although it's kinda hard to distinguish yourself at pacific for a residency when it's all pass/no pass.

pacific is a 3 year school and no summers off, and both schools use the block system. I live in Portland Oregon and was not impressed by pacific. maybe you like it but i like touro better because you have summers off. ;) I have an interview with touro this next week so I will see what looks better.

Thanks for the advice! I've decided to go to Touro mainly because I want to practice in CA after graduating and Touro will provide me with the opportunity to network with sites near my hometown. Plus I prefer the regular grading system rather than the pass/no pass in case I want to pursue a residency when I graduate. I also want to be able to work during the summers and a 4 year program will allow me to do that. I think Pacific is a wonderful school but I just don't think it's the best fit for me. I will just have to get over Touro's lack of aesthetics lol. I'm going to send my deposit on Monday. Goodluck with your interview Pavel2912!

Can't wait to see everyone in the fall! :)

I got denied...My interview must have been bad. The interviewers were not very kind to us during the interview. Everybody just did bad.:(

I got denied...My interview must have been bad. The interviewers were not very kind to us during the interview. Everybody just did bad.:(

.....did you get the lawyer as one of your interviewers?

Hi,

Just got an invite for an interview ! anyone else going in april ?

.....did you get the lawyer as one of your interviewers?

No, I got a doctor/phd and an alumni. They were so mean. They laughed at us and the dean said it was okay to laugh during the interview. I cried the night of the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I got a doctor/phd and an alumni. They were so mean. They laughed at us and the dean said it was okay to laugh during the interview. I cried the night of the interview.
They laughed at your responses? Or in a cheery, fun way?

sigh....I'm sorry to hear that. I was personally told by a student that touro interviewers were notorious for stuff like that. The groups on my interview day were lucky...but from others, I heard not-so-good experiences. Don't take it personally, feel better soon ^^

sigh....I'm sorry to hear that. I was personally told by a student that touro interviewers were notorious for stuff like that. The groups on my interview day were lucky...but from others, I heard not-so-good experiences. Don't take it personally, feel better soon ^^

Pharmacy is a small world and in most cases you will run into the same people more often than you might expect. I hope touro will realise this...I'll see them again someday on different terms..:smuggrin:

Last edited:
Pharmacy is a small world and in most cases you will run into the same people more often than you might expect. I hope touro will realise this...I'll see them again someday on different terms..:smuggrin:

Lol, I agree that pharmacy is a small world. But with that said, you might wanna watch what you write .... the touro adcoms tell us that they read student doctor network. Plus, you never know who's watching. ^___^

Lol, I agree that pharmacy is a small world. But with that said, you might wanna watch what you write .... the touro adcoms tell us that they read student doctor network. Plus, you never know who's watching. ^___^

Nobody knows who The Stig really is...;)

Our group had 3 interviewers; one of them was a girl (new-graduated Pharmacist) that was sooo mean. After the interview I hated the school and I had nightmare for one week. I was in a shock. The interview ran like a competition between the interviewers. They competed in order to who can ask tough questions .... They expect us to know all answers of those REALLY TOUGH questions but at the end they didn't know any questions we asked.
I also had couple interviews at some other universities and those interviews weren't comparable with this one.
These non-professional interviews cause Touro to lose many good applicants.

Our group had 3 interviewers; one of them was a girl (new-graduated Pharmacist) that was sooo mean. After the interview I hated the school and I had nightmare for one week. I was in a shock. The interview ran like a competition between the interviewers. They competed in order to who can ask tough questions .... They expect us to know all answers of those REALLY TOUGH questions but at the end they didn't know any questions we asked.
I also had couple interviews at some other universities and those interviews weren't comparable with this one.
These non-professional interviews cause Touro to lose many good applicants.
I dont think you should judge a school from one or three professors though, right? Nothing's perfect in life, it happens wherever you go.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering does anyone here on the forum knows how many students Touro offered acceptance already?
How many spots are left??
Anybody is scheduled for interview in April?
Also, anyone that have interviewed have any tips?

Agreed that you shouldnt judge a school by a few professors. And I think the interview depends on how you handle your responses as well.
On reflection i think my interview could have gone very differently if I hadn't bonded so well with the other people being interviewed. Being in a group interview, I think its imprtant to play off the others' responses. In my group, I felt questions asked were deflected by other members leaving me some time to answer. Our questions were personal and hard, one professor walked out early but half the people in our interview group were accepted. Maybe more than half now that I think of it.
And just my opinion, laughing isn't unprofessional. It definitely shouldn't be forced but I laughed a lot during my interview. Our group was laughing and joking the entire time. All the people I talked to seemed to have a great time at touro and we were all accepted :D.

Btw Hi patients over! Lol ;)

Last edited:
I guess the chances of an interview is slim now for me :(

I guess the chances of an interview is slim now for me :(
I wouldn't worry, you got a good chance at Northstate because they take a lot from the wl. Speaking of which, my interview is this Friday. XD

Agreed that you shouldnt judge a school by a few professors. And i think the interview depends on how you handle your responses as well.
On reflection i think my interview could have gone very differently if I hadn't bonded so well with the other people being interviewed.Being in a group interview I think its imprtant to play off the others being interviewed. In my group I felt questions asked were deflected by other members leaving me some time to answer. Our questions were personal and hard, one professor walked out early but half the people in our interview group were accepted. Maybe more than half now that I think of it.
And just my opinion, laughing isn't unprofessional. It definitely shouldn't be forced but I laughs a lot during my interview. Our group was laughing and joking the entire time. All the people I talked to seemed to have a great time at touro and we were all accepted :D.

Btw Hi patients over! Lol ;)

Haha, I think I have a very good feeling about who this is. You're on my facebook, right? ;)

I agree with RX091607 in that the interview experience would've been so different without bonding with other interviewees. In retrospect, one of the professors did "troll" us a bit, but we just laughed it off afterwards.

To be honest, I was expecting a horribly bad experience based on friends' past experiences, but I got lucky because the other fellow interviewees made it such an unforgettably awesome experience. :)

Haha, I think I have a very good feeling about who this is. You're on my facebook, right? ;)

I agree with RX091607 in that the interview experience would've been so different without bonding with other interviewees. In retrospect, one of the professors did "troll" us a bit, but we just laughed it off afterwards.

To be honest, I was expecting a horribly bad experience based on friends' past experiences, but I got lucky because the other fellow interviewees made it such an unforgettably awesome experience. :)

Lol. Yes !! Im on your facebook! I couldn't resist because I figured out it was you a while ago.
I didn't realize until you told me about other people's experiences that the interview process at Touro was known for being a little negative. Lucky, I didn't hear these things because I would have been so nervous! Im so happy I met all of you!!
And yes, that interviewer absolutely trolled us. :p lol I love how you use that word.

Lol. Yes !! Im on your facebook! I couldn't resist because I figured out it was you a while ago.
I didn't realize until you told me about other people's experiences that the interview process at Touro was known for being a little negative. Lucky, I didn't hear these things because I would have been so nervous! Im so happy I met all of you!!
And yes, that interviewer absolutely trolled us. :p lol I love how you use that word.

I'm so happy I met all of you guys too! Homies fo' life! :D

And yes, there is no better word than "troll." I still remember that one question that interviewer asked....that had nothing to do with testing your knowledge of the pharmacy profession or getting to know you as a person. xD

I'm so happy I met all of you guys too! Homies fo' life! :D

And yes, there is no better word than "troll." I still remember that one question that interviewer asked....that had nothing to do with testing your knowledge of the pharmacy profession or getting to know you as a person. xD

Right?! lol I hope no one gets tripped up on that interviewer. :) I liked the way we handled it!

Right?! lol I hope no one gets tripped up on that interviewer. :) I liked the way we handled it!

Haha, I'd still much rather have that professor over other potentially mean professors. Consider us lucky. The other 2 interviewers were friendly, especially the student interviewer. I really liked her. :D

I received an interview invite today. Touro's Admission is planning to do interviews throughout May. So, for those who are waiting don't give up!

Hey everybody! I'm going to be attending Touro's DO program this year. My friend (also in DO program) and I are looking for 1 or 2 female roommates to house with us on the Island. If you're interested, please PM me! Thanks :)

I was placed on high-alternate. Keeping my head up... :love::love:

Last edited:
So i got an invite for interviw on the April 5th while I was in CA for intrviw on April 6 firday for northstate! I was so upset! I wish i had gotten this invite a week or few days earlier so I could go Thursday for Touro and Friday for Northstate...I come from east coast..Now I have to go back again!
I have also been calling since Tuesday to schedule this interview. No one is picking up! I am getting her voice meail....finally i sent an email....hopefully I can get a response on Monday.I thought in the email they said CALL this number to schedule your interview , it didn't say email...now they don't pick up...I just don't want to loose my 2 weeks time frame to schedule this ! anyone has had same issue?

if i'm not mistaken, they are on spring break.

For those that are accepted already, have any of you started looking for a place to stay yet? If not, when do you think would be a good time to start looking?

Is anyone looking for a male roommate? PM me :)

Hi everyone. For those of you who have been accepted to any pharmacy school Congratulations! Well I have been accepted to Touro University and WesternU but I am debating on where to go. Do any of you have any input on both schools? Also, does anyone know if Touro University provides the 1500 hours that are required to take the NAPLEX? I know that at Western we have to find our own job and get 900 hours which I am scared about because there is a lot of competition to find jobs so what if I can't find one. Thanks

Someone asked about this before. I'll copy and paste what some other people said.
Western:
Pros: Complete block system, closer to home, well known, and plenty of rotation experiences. Also, they get you started on interprofessional skills right away during p1. That's great.
Cons: It's in the ghetto part of Pomona. Everyone I met in my interview told me to move out of Pomona and commute from Claremont or Montclair, which are nicer areas. I actually asked about that Helix complex - it's really expensive and my friend told me that you'll see questionable people kind of walking around there. Oh and cars get broken into in the parking garage. I guess Western can use more security? But anyway, another point that really hit me was the fact that there are pharmacy schools that may be opening soon in the neighborhood of Western. Since it is up to the student at Western to find 900 internship hours on their own, I'm worried that this may saturate the market with an impossible number of students who will be competing for internships. (I could be wrong and I actually hope I am).

Touro:
Pros: Dual-degree, recruit professors from UCSF, the island (I personally think it has a lot of potential!), Jewish holidays, Triple Jump Exam, 19 week semesters to somewhat decompress the already compressed workload, and I'm assuming the 2+2 program means you have a better opportunity of getting your internship hours completed before graduation. 900 internship hours are built into their 2 year rotations-- which is awesome. Other schools, your on your own to find your internships.. That's definitely a pro in my mind! And yes, I agree, with such a young program with great highlights thus far, I think it has potential to be elite as well.
Cons: High deposit, rainy weather, not as pretty of a campus as Western, smaller library, not as established, and food is supposedly hard to come by on the campus.

I'm actually going forward with my deposit to Touro... I took this last week to think really hard about it. I'm excited to be part of a program that is on the rise and I want to be part of that excitement! I'll get over the high deposit sooner or later. At least 100% of it goes back to your tuition. I'm sure wherever you end up, you'll be happy. I think both of these schools provide great programs, which is why we even raise the question which one we should go to!

Western:
Pros - Socal, easy to find living (helix apartments), cheaper, technology (dispersed notes), well-known and fairly good reputation, students I met seemed to love it there and were not as stressed, diverse rotations
Cons - Oversaturated market in socal so difficult rotations, only one degree, lower pass rate on exams then touro

Touro :
Pros: dual-degree, great pass rates on exams, and in my opinion, it could easily become one of the best cop in ca
cons- difficult housing, high deposit ($2000), relatively new school (reputation??), not alot of rotations

Hope this helps

Hi everyone. For those of you who have been accepted to any pharmacy school Congratulations! Well I have been accepted to Touro University and WesternU but I am debating on where to go. Do any of you have any input on both schools? Also, does anyone know if Touro University provides the 1500 hours that are required to take the NAPLEX? I know that at Western we have to find our own job and get 900 hours which I am scared about because there is a lot of competition to find jobs so what if I can't find one. Thanks

if western and touro were equal distance away from me, i'd pick touro. i really think the 2+2 program will better prepare us as pharmacists and for a career right after we get our pharmd. touro also has impressive stats for a relatively new school, probably even better than western's. however, i would pick western so that i could continue to live at home and save a lot of money... =/ i wouldn't worry about the hours for now. all the students at western have done fine getting their hours; it's probably not as bad as we think.

You cannot complete your internship hours from the 2 year rotation. To put it simply, it is the same as any other school's 1 year rotation and the number of hours you get from that. Touro just gives you an extra year of practical experience, but you do not get the hours from that.

For those that are accepted already, have any of you started looking for a place to stay yet? If not, when do you think would be a good time to start looking?

Is anyone looking for a male roommate? PM me :)

I heard June is an ideal time to start looking for a place to rent on Mare Island since it's after graduation and about the same time students who are performing rotations away from the Bay Area will move out of their rooms/houses. If you want to look now, here's a good website for potential places to rent with fellow Touro students: http://www.tustudentlife.com/housing/rentals/

Congrats! A current Touro student I spoke with confirmed the new curriculum does provide the 1500 hours to sit for the exam. As for making your decision, I'd recommend reading as much as you can about each school on their websites, asking the admission office questions or at least how you can get in contact with current students, and deciding for yourself what school would fit best with your learning style, environment, and career goals. A lot of people told me not to attend Touro because it's a fairly new program, but I personally like how the school is innovative in its approach to preparing students. Touro is a new school with a fresh perspective on how to educate future pharmacists on the evolving pharmacy profession. I'm sure Western also has it's own unique approach and I hope you make the best personal decision for yourself. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Congrats! A current Touro student I spoke with confirmed the new curriculum does provide the 1500 hours to sit for the exam. As for making your decision, I'd recommend reading as much as you can about each school on their websites, asking the admission office questions or at least how you can get in contact with current students, and deciding for yourself what school would fit best with your learning style, environment, and career goals. A lot of people told me not to attend Touro because it's a fairly new program, but I personally like how the school is innovative in its approach to preparing students. Touro is a new school with a fresh perspective on how to educate future pharmacists on the evolving pharmacy profession. I'm sure Western also has it's own unique approach and I hope you make the best personal decision for yourself. Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Nevermind, you are right! Touro does give you all the hours now.

Last edited:
Are there any more interview sessions left?! Is there still a chance to be invited for interview?!

Hm...I don't think so. The adcom is going into conservation mode in terms of spots at this moment. That's what Steve Davis said...

Hm...I don't think so. The adcom is going into conservation mode in terms of spots at this moment. That's what Steve Davis said...
What does that mean? They are conserving spots? So, they will accept people who recently interviewed and give remaining spots to waitlisters?

What does that mean? They are conserving spots? So, they will accept people who recently interviewed and give remaining spots to waitlisters?

I'm not sure how the process goes, but don't give up hope! Send the admission office your updated transcripts, letters of intent, or maybe even additional recommendation letters to let them know you're still interested. I spoke with a couple of Touro students who said they weren't accepted until June/July. Best of luck to you!