Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to get around the TUCOM's requirement for 6 hours of behavioral science classes? I only have one psych class under my belt, and I'm not sure if any of my other classes would count? Best just to e-mail admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to get around the TUCOM's requirement for 6 hours of behavioral science classes? I only have one psych class under my belt, and I'm not sure if any of my other classes would count? Best just to e-mail admissions?

I agree, the best way is to contact admissions (and cross your fingers)

hm when i applied i only had 1 psych class but i guess another class fulfilled the behavioral class?

Can we get some input from current med students here about the curriculum? class environment? resources? overall feel for the school?

Also, how does this school compare to WesternU/COMP?

Thanks!

Melomare, do you know if you won't be screened out yet because you don't have the extra 3 hours of behavioral? Have you already gotten a secondary?

Melomare, do you know if you won't be screened out yet because you don't have the extra 3 hours of behavioral? Have you already gotten a secondary?

when i applied last time, i was NOT screened out, and did receive a secondary.

this cycle (2013-2014) my app isn't released yet, i don't think anyone's is yet. but i would assume sometime next month they would start sending secondaries.

i know western they were strict about the other behavioral class so i'm not applying to them this time.

Is a grade of "C or better" the final say in the prereq requirements? I have a C- in Gen Chem from freshman year but an A in other chem classes such as Organic chemistry. :confused:

Is a grade of "C or better" the final say in the prereq requirements? I have a C- in Gen Chem from freshman year but an A in other chem classes such as Organic chemistry. :confused:

yes you need C or better

One of my Top choice, I have not been released yet. Verified 06/27, I hope to get some love here (3.3c &s 27 MCAT). :luck:

Just received the secondary invite!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received the invite yet. Is it safer to just wait for the email before going about this?

It says that not everyone will receive an invite and to not submit a secondary until invited to do so. I've been prewriting some others though, juuuust in case. Might be easier so you can just submit as soon as you are invited!

I haven't received the invite yet. Is it safer to just wait for the email before going about this?

I probably would. The email says that my app has been reviewed by TUCOM CA adcom and that "not all candidates for admission to TUCOM are invited to move on to do so (submit secondary)."

I probably would. The email says that my app has been reviewed by TUCOM CA adcom and that "not all candidates for admission to TUCOM are invited to move on to do so (submit secondary)."

Damn, I must've gotten screened.

If we dont get it today does that mean we got rejected?

im 3.66gpa, 27mcat. how am i getting pre screened. wth

I most definitely wouldn't lose hope yet! I'm sure it takes a long time to get through all the applications and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sent out more.

Last edited:
Milkplegm broke 30 from what i remember her/him saying.

I had a 31 but i got a 6 in VR.

Who knows... They love MCAT scores that's for sure. Their avg last year was a 29.5 for matriculating students.

black_man_rage_gif1.gif

Last edited:
Perhaps we could establish an imaginary line for who got secondaries and who did not, so for those that got one post your stats!!!!

wow.... sorry eyebrowdoc... I happen to be an idiot. Just received a secondary. You can kick my *** if we go to the same school.

I got it right now too. thanks for making me rage for an hour bro

Last edited:
I, too, haven't received a secondary invite.

My stats are 3.35/28.

If you get a secondary from a Touro school, your chances of interview are high? Justifying the $100 secondary fee here.

Secondary received as well. The thought of living in San Francisco is amazing!! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
reading through last year's thread, I realized that many people received their secondaries 1-2 weeks after everyone else has gotten it.

Just went through my emails and it is 25.

That's pretty high for a cut off.

I remember 2-3 years ago my state MD had a cut off of about 23.
Yea but on a positive note for people with a low MCAT I only had a 25 (minimum possible) got interviewed and accepted at Touro-NV and they didn't even ask me why I scored so low. I feel my advanced coursework and masters GPA helped allot. I know Touro-Ca, and Touro-NY look for higher MCAT though.

Rumor has it class of 17 has a 31 avg

What's with the bilingual question? I'm bilingual but not fluent. Which do they want?

And for the curious, my stats are 3.26c, 3.25s, 34M (10P/13V/11B).

Rumor has it class of 17 has a 31 avg
Wow. That is surprising. I knew it would be above 30 based on the way the trends in past years have gone. My class (c/o 2014) had averages of: sGPA 3.39/cGPA 3.47/MCAT 28.90. The c/o 2015 and 2016 stats are here: http://admissions.tu.edu/com/demographics.html. The MCAT has been slowly rising but the average GPA has been pretty stable in the last few years.

Has anyone figured out which boxes to input their essays?

It looks like a weird format with the 4 boxes thing...