Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! How many interview dates are left?
Hi Victoria,

I interviewed January 21st, and they told us that beginning in February they were going to start rationing acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Fill it out, scan it and email it to lynn.

Well, just got an interview invite. Complete mid October. This has been my number one choice. Scheduled for March 10th. I hope I stand a chance that late.

Edit. I called and scheduled not too long ago. When did those who interviewed receive a confirmation email for the interview date?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, just got an interview invite. Complete mid October. This has been my number one choice. Scheduled for March 10th. I hope I stand a chance that late.

Edit. I called and scheduled not too long ago. When did those who interviewed receive a confirmation email for the interview date?
Congrats! do you mind sharing your stats. I've been complete since September and have yet to hear anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! do you mind sharing your stats. I've been complete since September and have yet to hear anything.

Have you tried sending updates? I've been complete since Sept as well and got an II very shortly after sending an update this week.

Have you tried sending updates? I've been complete since Sept as well and got an II very shortly after sending an update this week.
Who did you send them to directly?... and was it via email?

I received an interview invite today shortly after sending an update. I had been complete since the second week of September so I figure I probably got passed over the first time around.
Congrats. Just curious, what interview date did you get?

Cancelled my interview for 2/11. Got accepted elsewhere. Good luck fellers!

I sent in an update last week. I have not taken classes since my application so my update was only more shadowing and employment updates

I can not find a list of rotation sites for Touro-CA anywhere. Does anybody know the quality of rotation sites and if they have any associated residencies? I find it weird that they would not post it on the website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be declining my acceptance here, I sincerely hope that one of you gets it!!! I absolutely loved TUCOM when I visited though, this new school just makes more fiscal and location sense to attend. Good luck guys!

Has anyone heard of their decision since the last admissions meeting?

Does anyone have any idea as to how full the class is at this point?

Decisions were apparently mailed out on Friday, and I got an acceptance today. I'm super excited, it has been my first and only acceptance this cycle. It's been rough for me myself, but trust me, keep at it guys! I don't think the class is filled to the brim yet (I heard from someone at Touro that interviews don't go as fast in the beginning of the school year because of all the Jewish holidays), good luck to everyone still in the running.

GPA 3.5, MCAT 30.
Secondary submitted: mid-November.
Interview: this month.

Congrats, hope there is good news for all...(including me...:))

Same here! They told us that they would mail the decisions on Friday, and I just received it today. Definitely really happy to be accepted to Touro! From what they've told us, they interview until April, possibly even May. From my interview it didn't seem like the class was near full as they had plenty of people to interview as well (they said they'll interview ~550 people total). And considering they interview only 10 people per interview day (there were 9 other interviewers the day I interviewed), their interview season is quite long!

If anyones curious, my stats were GPA ~3.5, MCAT 31, secondary submitted mid October (though didn't receive complete email until a couple weeks later), II received very early January, interviewed very early February!

Good luck to all in the running!

Congrats to those of you recently accepted! Hope you are able to relax and celebrate soon. I hope to get similar news after my interview.

Same here! They told us that they would mail the decisions on Friday, and I just received it today. Definitely really happy to be accepted to Touro! From what they've told us, they interview until April, possibly even May. From my interview it didn't seem like the class was near full as they had plenty of people to interview as well (they said they'll interview ~550 people total). And considering they interview only 10 people per interview day (there were 9 other interviewers the day I interviewed), their interview season is quite long!

If anyones curious, my stats were GPA ~3.5, MCAT 31, secondary submitted mid October (though didn't receive complete email until a couple weeks later), II received very early January, interviewed very early February!

Good luck to all in the running!

Make sure you have lots of fun before you start school, Kevin!

So far by reading the acceptances it seems that their average MCAT is pretty high. I want an interview invite here so bad! :(
I hope they invite more people soon. I emailed them last week and they said my file is still under review.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview invite and not sure if I want to go. Would definitely pass up if interviewing for the waitlist. Has anyone called about how full the class is?

Just got an interview invite and not sure if I want to go. Would definitely pass up if interviewing for the waitlist. Has anyone called about how full the class is?

I received an II yesterday (~3.5/31, complete in Oct) and asked the same thing. They said they don't interview strictly for the waitlist and that there are seats open (wouldn't specify how many). She also said they interview into May.

To those who have interviewed: Did you take advantage of the shuttle from the airport into Vallejo/ to the interview? I would rather rent a car and do some exploring of Vallejo, Napa and SF but it's ridiculously expensive compared to renting a car in other cities. I am thinking about using the shuttle then taking a ferry into SF for exploring. Any thoughts on this?

To those who have interviewed: Did you take advantage of the shuttle from the airport into Vallejo/ to the interview? I would rather rent a car and do some exploring of Vallejo, Napa and SF but it's ridiculously expensive compared to renting a car in other cities. I am thinking about using the shuttle then taking a ferry into SF for exploring. Any thoughts on this?
shuttle and ferry would be better i would say. Because parking is expensive in SF.

I interviewed yesterday. They said that they are over half full now. They will interview until May and will have at least 1 spot open for all interviews (hopefully talking about the ones in MAY). I think there are still a good amount of spots open. Good luck!

I live in SF. Parking is a pain here. Napa has some cool stuff you can access with a car though. I'd go for the public transit option.

I interviewed yesterday. They said that they are over half full now. They will interview until May and will have at least 1 spot open for all interviews (hopefully talking about the ones in MAY). I think there are still a good amount of spots open. Good luck!
That's what happens when all you interview and accept are high mcat. Your interview season has to be very long.

That's what happens when all you interview and accept are high mcat. Your interview season has to be very long.

I think a big reason why their interview season is long is because of the large amount of Jewish holidays in the summer..... and the fact that they surprisingly only interview 10 people per interview day!

I think a big reason why their interview season is long is because of the large amount of Jewish holidays in the summer..... and the fact that they surprisingly only interview 10 people per interview day!
I didn't know that. Fascinating.

When you get an II, does Touro give you a specific date or are there several dates to choose from? What is the latest date that is offered right now? Thanks.

When you get an II, does Touro give you a specific date or are there several dates to choose from? What is the latest date that is offered right now? Thanks.

After receiving the II, you call admissions to schedule. I called on Monday and took the first available which was 3/18. I believe they interview only on Mondays and Tuesdays. Hope this helps.

Officially withdrew my spot, I hope someone here gets it :) TUCOM is an awesome school and severely underrated on SDN.

Anyone interview here this week? Any word on how full the class is now? I interview next week. Any further interview tips. This is my absolute number one.

Anyone interview here this week? Any word on how full the class is now? I interview next week. Any further interview tips. This is my absolute number one.

Interviewed and accepted a while ago, so I have no idea how full the class is.

As others have said, this is a panel interview. 3 interviewers interviewing 4-5 applicants. This means a few things:

1) You'll hear your fellow applicant's answers to questions. Pay attention, and maybe try to show that you have been paying attention to the other applicants. This can be something as small as starting your answer with something akin to "like Bob, I also enjoy playing music to relieve stress. In my case, I like to play guitar..." etc etc.

And for goodness sake, do not repeat other people's answers. I remember saying something like "OMM will be a great tool in my toolbox" (which is totally meh and unoriginal, so I wouldn't recommend it), and then immediately following my answer, two of the other applicants said "tool in my toolbox" in their answers. It made all three of us look silly.

2) With so many interviewees, each one has less time to answer questions. Be considerate. Don't ramble, be concise and to the point. Take a moment to gather your thoughts, if necessary. If you're prone to rambling, like I am, work on it beforehand.

3) Make equal eye contact with all your interviewers, and occasionally the other applicants as well. It's ok to direct more attention to the person asking the question, just make sure you also make eye contact with the other two interviewers as well.

That's all I have, hope that helps.

As others have said, this is a panel interview. 3 interviewers interviewing 4-5 applicants. This means a few things:

1) You'll hear your fellow applicant's answers to questions. Pay attention, and maybe try to show that you have been paying attention to the other applicants. This can be something as small as starting your answer with something akin to "like Bob, I also enjoy playing music to relieve stress. In my case, I like to play guitar..." etc etc.

And for goodness sake, do not repeat other people's answers. I remember saying something like "OMM will be a great tool in my toolbox" (which is totally meh and unoriginal, so I wouldn't recommend it), and then immediately following my answer, two of the other applicants said "tool in my toolbox" in their answers. It made all three of us look silly.

2) With so many interviewees, each one has less time to answer questions. Be considerate. Don't ramble, be concise and to the point. Take a moment to gather your thoughts, if necessary. If you're prone to rambling, like I am, work on it beforehand.

3) Make equal eye contact with all your interviewers, and occasionally the other applicants as well. It's ok to direct more attention to the person asking the question, just make sure you also make eye contact with the other two interviewers as well.

You made some great points.. Ones that I will be thinking about :) Thanks for the informative reply. Congrats to you in your acceptance.

I can vouch for all of these points having interviewed there in November. A big one that I'd add is to be prepared to explain why you'd like to come to California if you're from far out of state. I got grilled (in a friendly way) about why I was all the way out in Vallejo when I was born and raised in Michigan. It goes without saying that "Because this school might accept me" is not a good answer. They want people who will practice in CA post-graduation.

I can vouch for all of these points having interviewed there in November. A big one that I'd add is to be prepared to explain why you'd like to come to California if you're from far out of state. I got grilled (in a friendly way) about why I was all the way out in Vallejo when I was born and raised in Michigan. It goes without saying that "Because this school might accept me" is not a good answer. They want people who will practice in CA post-graduation.
I hope I have an advantage being that I am born and raised in the Bay Area then. I have my friends, family, and all of my outdoor passions right in the area. Plus my significant other has a great job here. I do want to practice here eventually too. Definitely starting to feel the nerves for this interview. Thanks for the good feedback.

I hope I have an advantage being that I am born and raised in the Bay Area then. I have my friends, family, and all of my outdoor passions right in the area. Plus my significant other has a great job here. I do want to practice here eventually too. Definitely starting to feel the nerves for this interview. Thanks for the good feedback.

You're golden, no need to worry.

Do a couple of mock interviews so that you know how you do under pressure, get honest feedback, and work on the things you need to work on. You'll be fine!

What is the latest interview date so far? So far, I see March 17.