Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone figured out which boxes to input their essays?

It looks like a weird format with the 4 boxes thing...

Each line of the boxes for the essays has a limit. I just typed until the box was full (it didn't move any characters at the left out of sight) and moved to the next box.

Members don't see this ad.

Each line of the boxes for the essays has a limit. I just typed until the box was full (it didn't move any characters at the left out of sight) and moved to the next box.

You didn't prepare drafts on word to copy/paste?

Who knows what the character limit is on the Why Touro/Why you questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
what's with this weird format and why can't I submit online. :mad:

Who knows what the character limit is on the Why Touro/Why you questions?

I assume they give you free reign based on this in the secondary email:
If you need more space for your responses than that which is provided, you may attach a separate sheet of paper to the supplemental application. Responses, however, should be concise.

what's with this weird format and why can't I submit online. :mad:

Their email says:
All application materials should be mailed to TUCOM-CA, Office of Admissions. The application may also be scanned, then emailed as an attachment. If you choose to email your supplemental application materials, you must first print, then sign the application, then scan and email your documents as a single file (not multiple files). Please submit your supplemental application via email or US mail, not both.

Welcome to the year 2000.

Applying here! Just got the secondary today! Interesting format on this one...

Are you guys planning to scan and email, or print and send by mail?

Either way, how would you print the application after filling it? Right click then print?

I highly recommend scanning your app and submitting online. Last cycle my secondary was intercepted in mail which I did not know until a bank called me to confirm my request for a credit card... The app is full of personal and confidential info, I hope the school changes to online submission in near future.

Hey folks!

I just got my AACOMAS application all together on Monday. Yeah, I know I'm a bit late.

Anyway. Any idea if Touro accepts more than two LOR? I've got four lined up and it's a little hard to choose just two!

Thanks!

Are you guys planning to scan and email, or print and send by mail?

Either way, how would you print the application after filling it? Right click then print?

I copied and pasted the whole thing to a word document and plan on just emailing it as a .pdf after I sign it and scan it back onto my computer. This changed the formatting a little bit, but goodness, this secondary looks like its ancient, haha.

Heartbroken, did not realize there was two essays at the end of the app.

Attention to detail :(

At least you made the mistake and will now make sure to double and triple check the secondaries for the rest of your apps.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you mean that you actually submitted you application before realizing that you had to respond to the two prompts?

If so, I would suggest that you contact the school and explain to them that it was an honest mistake and see if you could resubmit.

I copied and pasted the whole thing to a word document and plan on just emailing it as a .pdf after I sign it and scan it back onto my computer. This changed the formatting a little bit, but goodness, this secondary looks like its ancient, haha.

That's what I'm going to do, but first, I want to learn how to scan the documents into one pdf file. Looks like I'm going to spend some time YouTubing.

Are you guys using single or double space for your essays. I think a full page of single spaced essay is a lot to write. Not that I have nothing to write about buy I like being concise and straight to the point. I hate fillers.

Did anyone get a secondary without a Mcat score?

if you are starting a masters program/SMP this fall, do you put graduate degree and year when it will end (like 2014) on it?

Are you guys using single or double space for your essays. I think a full page of single spaced essay is a lot to write. Not that I have nothing to write about buy I like being concise and straight to the point. I hate fillers.

It says single or double-spaced, meaning the max per question is one full page in single-space in 12-point font. Those are the only rules. Write the essay you think is best and don't worry about length.

This secondary website is the biggest piece of **** I have ever seen. They couldn't pay somoene a few thousand dollars to come up with a web-submittable application? Christ. The 1990s era credit card payment site instills all sorts of confidence, too.

This secondary website is the biggest piece of **** I have ever seen. They couldn't pay somoene a few thousand dollars to come up with a web-submittable application? Christ. The 1990s era credit card payment site instills all sorts of confidence, too.

great attitude :thumbup: I'm sure that it will get you far in the admissions process.

In all seriousness, it's really not that bad. Plenty of schools have secondary sites that are just as low-tech.

Is it a page for EACH prompt, so therefore 2 pages total to send in?

Or did they mean fit both essays onto one page?

Thanks.

great attitude :thumbup: I'm sure that it will get you far in the admissions process.

In all seriousness, it's really not that bad. Plenty of schools have secondary sites that are just as low-tech.

nah it is that bad. makes me not even wanna do it. actually I got it Monday and i'm just gonna power through it today

Sent in my letters and secondary today.

Yeah man, submitting my personal information and my social security number via non-secure means (fax, mail, non-secure e-mail) is a great idea.

Are you guys going to provide the parental information section of the secondary? It says that it's optional, so I'm thinking of ditching it.

Earlier question in the thread, are you all sticking to the 4 lines and 3 lines for the first two questions? I stupidly had written a few paragraphs for each question and then saw what the secondary actually asked for. I worked it down to the few lines each, but it stinks that I can't elaborate as much as I intended on.

Earlier question in the thread, are you all sticking to the 4 lines and 3 lines for the first two questions? I stupidly had written a few paragraphs for each question and then saw what the secondary actually asked for. I worked it down to the few lines each, but it stinks that I can't elaborate as much as I intended on.

Yeah it's weird. They elaborated that we needed concise answers for those so I just stuck to the 4 lines because they probably would've made those essay questions in additional to the two they already have on there if they wanted longer answers.

In my opinion, you should stick to the parameters they provided you. My answers for questions 15 and 16 are basically one long sentence.

BTW, are you planning on taking screen shots of the application and pasting them into a word document, then converting this document into a pdf file?

I'm going to do that because when I tried to print the application off the website, my responses weren't shown on the printed copies.

If you select all and paste it in a word document, you can type in your responses there. Then save it as a PDF.

If you select all and paste it in a word document, you can type in your responses there. Then save it as a PDF.

Thank you for responding.

I just figured even a better way. I could directly save it as a pdf file without having to copy and paste into word.

I put mine on a separate sheet of paper.

Does anyone know how important MCAT scores are to the adcom here? I have a high GPA but only a 26:( (8/8/10). Just wondering if it's even worth my time and $100 to send in secondary.

Does anyone know how important MCAT scores are to the adcom here? I have a high GPA but only a 26:( (8/8/10). Just wondering if it's even worth my time and $100 to send in secondary.
If you send in your money and get an acceptance you will say it was worth it. If you send in your money and do not get an acceptance you will say you were jipped. No answer but your own to this question.

Secondaries aren't cheap. If you aren't ready to throw down on the secondaries with your current stats, why did you submit the primary with your current stats? Don't sell yourself short and leave yourself wondering what would have happened.

I fit mine within the body of the space provided. I used separate sheets of paper for the 2 essay questions.

They sent me an e-mail saying they received my secondary. They haven't complained about my responses being on a separate sheet, so I think they are okay with it? The four line response form was ridiculous.

Got the email confirming the receipt of my supplemental application and stating that it will be processed as soon as possible.

That was fast, I'm impressed.

Got the email confirming the receipt of my supplemental application and stating that it will be processed as soon as possible.

That was fast, I'm impressed.

same with me today! maybe it's cuz there are not many people who sent secondaries in yet?

I've been lagging on this one because my physician letter isn't in yet... Hopefully soon!

The mean MCAT for 2016 class is 29.5 and for 2015 class 28.9, and given that it has been rising each year they may break 30 for 2017 class. Mean GPA is relatively low compared to all DO schools. I would be careful about inferring that the adcom emphasizes MCAT; it could just be that California has weird demographics among its premed cohort. Just submit, you won't regret that $100 but you'll regret not knowing what could have been.

The mean MCAT for 2016 class is 29.5 and for 2015 class 28.9, and given that it has been rising each year they may break 30 for 2017 class. Mean GPA is relatively low compared to all DO schools. I would be careful about inferring that the adcom emphasizes MCAT; it could just be that California has weird demographics among its premed cohort. Just submit, you won't regret that $100 but you'll regret not knowing what could have been.

its also mostly because touro interviews and accepts people with higher mcat scores early in the app year, so that once they are accepted they either pull out from everywhere else or wait for other schools (like md for instance)--if they dont get in they are part of the class and part of that high mcat avg

its also mostly because touro interviews and accepts people with higher mcat scores early in the app year, so that once they are accepted they either pull out from everywhere else or wait for other schools (like md for instance)--if they dont get in they are part of the class and part of that high mcat avg
how do you know this? source?