Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question: I was looking at the school's website and see that about 75% of the matriculants are CA residents. Why is there such a IS preference when the school isn't funded by the state? I just received a secondary and don't know if it's worth it for me to submit since I am not a CA resident.
I was told that there isn't an instate preference, there is just a greater percentage of california applicants than anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of people are curious about the statistics of accepted people, so I thought I would post mine... and more, mwahahahaha.

cGPA: ~3.4
MCAT: 29

This is my first choice and acceptance, so I will probably most likely almost assuredly be attending here. I really like the campus. I also like the emphasis on inter-professionalism, cultural competency, and public health. Even though it's not super prevalent, there are Jewish religious and cultural undertones woven throughout the school. I think this adds a cool dimension to the whole thing. I am not Jewish, but I'd like to think that I am somewhat spiritual and religious. And so I think it will be cool to be subtly reminded of the spiritual and reverent nature of our own existence every time I walk into the anatomy lab. Also, in response to those who question Touro's rotations, I think that if you want to do residency in California and practice medicine in California, Touro is set up well for their students to do just that. If you want to do a crazy residency and practice crazy medicine, then Stanford and UCSF are super nearby, and you should go to one of those schools...

If you're considering this school, but you're not from the Bay Area, I'm gonna pitch it to you right now. The Bay Area is a unique and exceptional place to live. There is so much diversity in the people and culture. The weather is beautiful pretty much all year long. It rains a little in the winter, and there is a marine layer in the form of low lying clouds and/or fog during some summer mornings. But it usually burns off by late morning. Not that we'll have much time, but there is so much to do. Obviously, there is The City (the local name for San Francisco) which has myriad ways of keeping you entertained. Napa and Sonoma are pretty close to Vallejo. I don't drink, but I enjoy learning about viticulture and touring the vineyards and wine cellars. If you're into hiking/trail running/backpacking/nature walking/mountain biking/road biking/ there are so many places to enjoy. East Bay nature is mostly rolling grass covered hills and mountains with giant oak trees which is beautiful in its own right. But to the West, Northwest, and Southwest, there are beautiful mountains (if you're from the Pacific Northwest, Rockies, Andes, Alps, Himalayas, central Mexico, or wherever else there are really tall mountains... these aren't of that variety; in fact they're relatively lacking in elevation, but still great) covered in thick forests of redwood, oak, madrone, bay, pine, fir, etc. etc. and so forth. There are several old growth redwood groves that can easily be visited in a day trip. The beach is pretty awesome too (think bonfires, sunbathing, and long walks?). And unlike Southern California, it's pretty easy to find one that's uncrowded. The ocean provides so much recreation. There is surfing, sailing, body boarding, kayaking, SUPing, deep sea fishing, whale watching, scuba diving, tide pool exploring, and sooo much more. Also, there is an even different variety of nature along certain parts of the coast. It's kind of hard for me to explain, maybe eerie is the word, but if you ever get the chance, go to San Simeon, Point Lobos, Big Sur, Davenport, Pescadero, or Half Moon Bay, and you'll see what I mean. Although, maybe not as great as LA or the Big Apple, the cuisine in the Bay Area is pretty rocking. Dim Sum, anyone? Or how about real Japanese ramen? The Mexican food is excellent as well. And if you weren't aware, the Italians were some of the first American settlers in San Francisco and many other parts of the Bay. It might not be the absolute best, but the Bay Area has great cuisine that is bound to entice anybody's palate. The music scene is pretty great here. If you're into rap, well, Vallejo is the place to be. Some of the most famous Yay Area rappers, like E-40 and Mac Dre are from Vallejo. You all better not be thizzle dancing during biochemistry, though. I'm sure there is a bunch of hipster, indie music too. I'm a more of the ALO or The Expendables type. Casi me olvide, si a ti te gustan la banda o los corridos pesados, hay mucho de esa musica tambien. Sabes que Los Tigres del Norte son de San Jose, CA? Also, if you are a street bike or fast car aficionado, there are many winding roads where you can oft find big shots like Larry Ellison and Elon Musk blazing by in their Ferraris and Lambos (or Teslas?). My old 1600 cc Honda Civic can't hang, but maybe your set of wheels can. Wild boars were introduced into California from Europe, and I hear it's pretty easy to get tags to hunt them if hunting is something you enjoy. Alright guys, I tried to cover all my bases, but I am sure you all think I am crazy by now. And to think in eight short years I will be practicing medicine... mwahahaha.

In all seriousness, I think Touro has a great and competitive program, and I'm excited to get there... and I love California... if you didn't already notice.

By the way, if you haven't read the 'Fall of Gondolin", go read it.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
I know a lot of people are curious about the statistics of accepted people, so I thought I would post mine... and more, mwahahahaha.

cGPA: ~3.4
MCAT: 29

This is my first choice and acceptance, so I will probably most likely almost assuredly be attending here. I really like the campus. I also like the emphasis on inter-professionalism, cultural competency, and public health. Even though it's not super prevalent, there are Jewish religious and cultural undertones woven throughout the school. I think this adds a cool dimension to the whole thing. I am not Jewish, but I'd like to think that I am somewhat spiritual and religious. And so I think it will be cool to be subtly reminded of the spiritual and reverent nature of our own existence every time I walk into the anatomy lab. Also, in response to those who question Touro's rotations, I think that if you want to do residency in California and practice medicine in California, Touro is set up well for their students to do just that. If you want to do a crazy residency and practice crazy medicine, then Stanford and UCSF are super nearby, and you should go to one of those schools...

If you're considering this school, but you're not from the Bay Area, I'm gonna pitch it to you right now. The Bay Area is a unique and exceptional place to live. There is so much diversity in the people and culture. The weather is beautiful pretty much all year long. It rains a little in the winter, and there is a marine layer in the form of low lying clouds and/or fog during some summer mornings. But it usually burns off by late morning. Not that we'll have much time, but there is so much to do. Obviously, there is The City (the local name for San Francisco) which has myriad ways of keeping you entertained. Napa and Sonoma are pretty close to Vallejo. I don't drink, but I enjoy learning about viticulture and touring the vineyards and wine cellars. If you're into hiking/trail running/backpacking/nature walking/mountain biking/road biking/ there are so many places to enjoy. East Bay nature is mostly rolling grass covered hills and mountains with giant oak trees which is beautiful in its own right. But to the West, Northwest, and Southwest, there are beautiful mountains (if you're from the Pacific Northwest, Rockies, Andes, Alps, Himalayas, central Mexico, or wherever else there are really tall mountains... these aren't of that variety; in fact they're relatively lacking in elevation, but still great) covered in thick forests of redwood, oak, madrone, bay, pine, fir, etc. etc. and so forth. There are several old growth redwood groves that can easily be visited in a day trip. The beach is pretty awesome too (think bonfires, sunbathing, and long walks?). And unlike Southern California, it's pretty easy to find one that's uncrowded. The ocean provides so much recreation. There is surfing, sailing, body boarding, kayaking, SUPing, deep sea fishing, whale watching, scuba diving, tide pool exploring, and sooo much more. Also, there is an even different variety of nature along certain parts of the coast. It's kind of hard for me to explain, maybe eerie is the word, but if you ever get the chance, go to San Simeon, Point Lobos, Big Sur, Davenport, Pescadero, or Half Moon Bay, and you'll see what I mean. Although, maybe not as great as LA or the Big Apple, the cuisine in the Bay Area is pretty rocking. Dim Sum, anyone? Or how about real Japanese ramen? The Mexican food is excellent as well. And if you weren't aware, the Italians were some of the first American settlers in San Francisco and many other parts of the Bay. It might not be the absolute best, but the Bay Area has great cuisine that is bound to entice anybody's palate. The music scene is pretty great here. If you're into rap, well, Vallejo is the place to be. Some of the most famous Yay Area rappers, like E-40 and Mac Dre are from Vallejo. You all better not be thizzle dancing during biochemistry, though. I'm sure there is a bunch of hipster, indie music too. I'm a more of the ALO or The Expendables type. Casi me olvide, si a ti te gustan la banda o los corridos pesados, hay mucho de esa musica tambien. Sabes que Los Tigres del Norte son de San Jose, CA? Also, if you are a street bike or fast car aficionado, there are many winding roads where you can oft find big shots like Larry Ellison and Elon Musk blazing by in their Ferraris and Lambos (or Teslas?). My old 1600 cc Honda Civic can't hang, but maybe your set of wheels can. Wild boars were introduced into California from Europe, and I hear it's pretty easy to get tags to hunt them if hunting is something you enjoy. Alright guys, I tried to cover all my bases, but I am sure you all think I am crazy by now. And to think in eight short years I will be practicing medicine... mwahahaha.

In all seriousness, I think Touro has a great and competitive program, and I'm excited to get there... and I love California... if you didn't already notice.

By the way, if you haven't read the 'Fall of Gondolin", go read it.

Cheers!

I think those looking into ucsf and Stanford wouldn't really be looking into touro-CA anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty quiet on this thread. How long did it take for those who interviewed to get an ii from the time they got the complete email?

Pretty quiet on this thread. How long did it take for those who interviewed to get an ii from the time they got the complete email?

Im at the Marriott getting ready before my interview tomorrow. Well, time between complete and ii I would say about 5-6 weeks. I didn't get a complete email but I mailed in my app around Sept 14 and received the II Oct 22.

Im at the Marriott getting ready before my interview tomorrow. Well, time between complete and ii I would say about 5-6 weeks. I didn't get a complete email but I mailed in my app around Sept 14 and received the II Oct 22.
Good luck tomorrow!!! I'm wondering if I should be getting worried, I was complete mid-October...

Good luck! I had my interview today and had a great experience. Relax and have fun!

Noted. Thank you!

Can anyone comment on attendance policies? Ive heard conflicting things. Thanks!

I've been looking for 2013 match list for TUCOM. The website has an excel sheet with up to 2012 match results. I've also searched this forum a couple of times and didn't get any results. Does anyone have a full 2013 match list? I found their alumni magazine, but it only had a match summary, not a full list.
{The 2013 Residency Match for the graduating class also concluded with possibly our
strongest match ever. Match highlights include:
 Overall, 57% of the 128 matches were in primary care.
 45% of the matches were in California, which is the highest match total to date.
 67% elected to match in ACGME programs which ranks second in the profession.
 As in previous years Family Medicine had the highest number of matches (29),
followed by Internal Medicine (19), Pediatrics (9) and Psychiatry (6).
 Other specialties where 2013 graduates matched included Neurology, obstetrics &
Gynecology, Emergency Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehab, Pathology,
Ophthalmology, General Surgery, Anesthesiology, Orthopedic Surgery and Radiology. }
http://alumni.tu.edu/alumninews/2013 Nov TUCOM news.pdf
It would be greatly appreciated.

The 2013 match list is on page 7 or 8 of the match list thread from earlier this year. I'm on my phone right now so can't link to it directly but I posted it so you can check my post history if you want too.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2013 match list is on page 7 or 8 of the match list thread from earlier this year. I'm on my phone right now so can't link to it directly but I posted it so you can check my post history if you want too.

In addition to the match list, is there a 3rd and 4th year rotation hospital list? Tried looking in the catalog online but it almost seemed as if the 4th year is self-directed by the student on where you want to rotate. Correct me if I'm wrong on this

In addition to the match list, is there a 3rd and 4th year rotation hospital list? Tried looking in the catalog online but it almost seemed as if the 4th year is self-directed by the student on where you want to rotate. Correct me if I'm wrong on this

Pm me and I can send you the third year core rotation site list. Fourth year is, as you said, scheduled by the student. I'm doing most of my fourth year at a core site and various hospitals I'm applying to for residency.

Hi everyone
I am interviewing here on tuesday! i wondering how you guys prepared for the interview, and how was your interview experience.

Hi everyone
I am interviewing here on tuesday! i wondering how you guys prepared for the interview, and how was your interview experience.
Know the standard questions and have an idea for how you would answer them, but don't memorize an answer. Look up extemporaneous speaking. For TUCOM specifically, they really care about your primary and secondary application. I was even asked about a specific class that I took during undergrad and I really appreciated the fact that they cared so much about their applicants individually to look that deeply. Make sure you talk loudly and clearly so that everyone can hear you, smile, refer back to comments made by the other interviewees, and before each answer you give take 10 seconds to compile what you want to say. There were some abstract/grilling questions that were made to make you feel a little nervous so just smile and answer them the best that you can.

Interviewed here on Tuesday. I thought it was super relaxed, and I felt really welcome. Also, doughnuts for Hanukkah! Woo!

For those waiting for an interview: have a hefty breakfast or bring a snack. Food isn't until 1pm.

I think I can share this too: they'll be updating the secondary application for next year. They totally know their secondaries are embarrassingly low tech.

Big push on the DO/MPH route. Have to admit I'm impressed by it being only 4 years for a dual degree. Anyone have a good resource for better understanding the pros/cons of the dual degree?

Does anyone have a good source for more information on the rotation schedule and sites?

I wonder if anyone submitted secondary mid october got interview? Can you share your stats ? Thanks in advance

Reactions: 1 user
For those who interviewed on Tuesday Dec 3, decisions have been delayed until Monday as was feared. Darn! :(

For those who interviewed on Tuesday Dec 3, decisions have been delayed until Monday as was feared. Darn! :(
It's for multiple dates. I interviewed 11/25 and also have to wait until Monday rather than today. I'm getting anxious as my deposit deadline for NSU is in 8 days, I still don't have a decision from Touro-CA or NV, and I'm still honestly having a lot of trouble picking between the three as it is.

It's for multiple dates. I interviewed 11/25 and also have to wait until Monday rather than today. I'm getting anxious as my deposit deadline for NSU is in 8 days, I still don't have a decision from Touro-CA or NV, and I'm still honestly having a lot of trouble picking between the three as it is.
Well, the obvious answer is TUCOM.

Interviewing here on Tuesday! Anybody that has interviewed have any advice?

Will be getting in to San Francisco for tomorrow's interview around 7PM tonight. Any chance anyone would like to grab dinner somewhere in Vallejo? If anyone's interested, PM me.

Accepted!! Good luck to all those still in the process- worth the wait! I'll be giving up my accepted spot at CCOM and canceling my scheduled interviews at MWU-AZ, DMU, AT Still AZ, and PNWU. So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Got my email today - accepted! We'll see what happens, still waiting on Touro-NV.

Accepted here too!

Waiting on other schools and the rest of my interviews before I make a decision.

II received this week. So, so, so happy, first II of season, received completed email mid Nov.

Last edited:
II received this week, for this monday, 12/16. So, so, so happy, first II of season, received completed email mid Nov.
Now I am bummed. I was complete November 1 and no ii. I guess that means they passed me bye. :/

I'm pretty sad here too. I submitted everything over 7 weeks ago. I e-mailed asking if everything was fine and instead got a complete e-mail. This means that I'm completely at the back of the line. I'll probably not get anything anymore :-(

EDiT: Good news. They will try to insert my file to where it was supposed to be if it had been complete weeks ago!

Last edited:
Now I am bummed. I was complete November 1 and no ii. I guess that means they passed me bye. :/

Me too, although I've been complete since September 12th and still nothing. I live on the west coast and this was one of the only schools I applied to that isn't at least half way across the country. Sad :(

cGPA and sGPA between 3.45 and 3.55 (with strong upward trend), MCAT of 34 (12/11/11)

Edit - Never mind, it looks like they aren't necessarily going in order. There's still hope!

Me too, although I've been complete since September 12th and still nothing. I live on the west coast and this was one of the only schools I applied to that isn't at least half way across the country. Sad :(

cGPA and sGPA between 3.45 and 3.55 (with strong upward trend), MCAT of 34 (12/11/11)

Edit - Never mind, it looks like they aren't necessarily going in order. There's still hope!
Did you get an interview invitation?

No. Haven't heard a peep since my completion in September.
Did you tell them about your father's vast medical and acting careers? Legacy has to count for something.

I'd hang in there, something will happen eventually.

Hi everyone!

Just got an interview invite yesterday, was complete Nov 25th. Stats: ~3.3 overall, 3.1 science, 29 MCAT.

To everyone that has not heard a peep: this is my first interview invite, I was feeling down in the dumps, but wanted to throw this out there - there is hope, and yours is coming!!

Good luck to the rest that are waiting and congrats to all that got accepted. Would love to read more feedback from those that went to the interviews!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how late TUCOM-CA's Interview season goes until? Does it end in March or April? Thanks!

Accepted! Interviewed 12/16. I've been waiting for this moment for SO long.

Last year the interview season went until May!

Congrats! When did you got the email? Interviewed the same day

Wow, May, thats late! Thank you for the info.
Congrats btw... is TUCOM-CA your #1?

I interviewed the same day as you, congratulations to you! I was very impressed by everyone I met and I had a great time interviewing for sure!

Unfortunately, I received a spot in the low alternate list yesterday when this school was my #1 choice; not sure what went wrong during the interview. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Acceptedddd! Interviewed 12/16