Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I have a questions for those who interviewed recently, do you have an idea how many spots are left in the class? (I have an interview here next week)

When I interviewed at TouroCOM in harlem this past week there were only 6 seats left, so I can't imagine there would be many left for the TUCOM class.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when ii's come? This school is the last one for me to hear back from (full of pre/post interview rejections) and I want to start studying for the mcat in case I need to reapply.

Complete in November. Instate.

To be honest, i would assume an ii is not coming at this point. best of luck tho..

Members don't see this ad :)
For all those still eagerly awaiting interview invites don't give up hope - I got an interview in May of last cycle and got in. They reserve spots until the very end, PM me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I have a questions for those who interviewed recently, do you have an idea how many spots are left in the class? (I have an interview here next week)

When I interviewed at TouroCOM in harlem this past week there were only 6 seats left, so I can't imagine there would be many left for the TUCOM class.

I interviewed a week ago and they didn't tell us how many spots were left. So I think that means it can't be too close to full.

I heard the last few interview spots and acceptance spots are reserved for Touro MPH students. Can anyone speak to the validity of this?

Just gave up an interview spot here. Hope it goes to one of you. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how much weight is put on gpa vs mcat? Is a 4.0 with a 25mcat better than a 3.5 with a 29mcat?

Does anyone know how much weight is put on gpa vs mcat? Is a 4.0 with a 25mcat better than a 3.5 with a 29mcat?

According to sdn, Touro-CA is one of the schools that like high mcats (i.e. I think anything below a 27 would be tough but it's just my speculation).

I would think the 3.5 and 29 would be better, on AMCAS for MD at least there is a chart of gpa mcat that shows how many applied vs accepted.

Did any of you lovely people interview on April 13th? I cannot seem to recall the name of the tour guides so I can email them to ask a question.

Members don't see this ad :)
How late into May do they interview? cause the deadline for their Master in Biomed is May 18 .. so assume by that point they know how many seats they have in COM..

Some of the earlier posts on here and that Google suggests "crime" after typing in Vallejo make me nervous. Can any current students or anyone who knows the area speak to safety? Thanks.

I'm an alumnus but Touro itself is on Mare Island which is very safe. There are definitely areas in Vallejo which are on the sketchy side but other areas in Vallejo are reasonable and nearby communities like Benicia or American Canyon are very safe so there are a lot of options for where to live in the area.

Reactions: 1 users
How late into May do they interview? cause the deadline for their Master in Biomed is May 18 .. so assume by that point they know how many seats they have in COM..

When I interviewed on 4/20 they said they are holding interviews until the end of May. They told us that they generally interview around 600 people and offer acceptances to 300 of them, but only ~160 will pay a deposit, and then only 135 will actually matriculate. As of my interview date only 120 of the accepted students had paid deposits, so they are definitely still offering direct acceptances!

Last edited:
When I interviewed on 4/20 they said they are holding interviews until the end of May. They told us that they generally interview around 600 people and offer acceptances to 300 of them, but only ~160 will pay a deposit, and then only 135 will actually matriculate. As of my interview date only 120 of the accepted students had paid deposits, so they are definitely still offering direct acceptances!
It's killing me to wait for an II. I was complete in November.

It's killing me to wait for an II. I was complete in November.

have you considered sending a letter of interest? I have a friend that sent a letter of interest back in January and then received an interview invitation a week later.

They also didn't interview much in late march and early april, I completed in November too and received the invitation on march 12 but the earliest available date was april 20th.

Hi all, I'm interviewing here next week. Any tips on the interview process and what type of questions to expect? I've heard they ask random question to see how respond under stress?

Last edited:
What are the future interview dates remaining for this cycle? I know there's one today, but how many are in May?

Hi all, I'm interviewing here next week. Any tips on the interview process and what type of questions to expect? I've heard they ask random question to see how respond under stress?
Be prepared for a group interview, so you will only be asked a few questions. If they don't ask you ideal questions then you really don't get the chance to shine. Some other interviewees may take up the majority of the time talking about their answer. I would recommend getting to the point, but making it as compelling as possible. Also, engage with everyone in the room.

(I still don't know the status of my application post-interview. So I will not be offended if you disagree).

UPDATE: Accepted !

Last edited:
What are the future interview dates remaining for this cycle? I know there's one today, but how many are in May?

They are interviewing throughout May and the class is not full.

Last edited:
who should I send letters of interest to? Lynn Huckle?

Make sure that your body language makes you seem engaged in your fellow interviewee's responses. This is pretty tough as you will be thinking about what questions you are about to be asked, but I think one of the main reasons Touro does a group interview is to see how students react in a less than comfortable situation alongside their peers. Also, review all of your application material and think what potential questions they would ask. You might even want to ask someone else to review your material to see what questions they would ask you. Not every question that I received came from my application material, but the vast majority did. While you might not directly be asked a question like "Why DO" or "Why Medicine" make sure you have a good response for these questions as it is quite possible your answer (or part of your answer) could be used in response to one of your questions.

Anyone else that interviewed on April 13th get Accepted!?

I was accepted April 14th interview

Interviewing this coming Tuesday May 12. Anyone know if I'm interviewing for a wait list spot or is there still open spots.

Interviewing this coming Tuesday May 12. Anyone know if I'm interviewing for a wait list spot or is there still open spots.

I interview May 4th (Monday of this week) and they said there was still 10-15 spots, plus whatever opens up from people dropping their seats before the 5/15 deadline to drop and choose if you had multiple offers

The May 15 deadline you're talking about ... Does that apply to all schools or just TUC?

The May 15 deadline you're talking about...is that for all med schools or just for TUC?

I interview May 4th (Monday of this week) and they said there was still 10-15 spots, plus whatever opens up from people dropping their seats before the 5/15 deadline to drop and choose if you had multiple offers

The May 15 deadline you're talking about...is that for all med schools or just for TUC?

Honestly I am not sure, just repeating what they told us during the interview. I have heard there is two deadlines, one for MD schools and one for DOs, and some DO applicants also apply to MD schools. I think one was 5/1 and the other 5/15? You can probably find it in these forums or online somewhere. Sorry I don't know more. I have heard this at several schools that I interviewed at though so it might be a standard for all DO schools but cant guarantee that.

I will be turning down my acceptance for RVU. Good luck to you future interviewees!

I think this is just Touro. They have one acceptance deposit ($2k) and one tuition deposit ($1k I believe) that has to be paid before May 15th. Those who don't plan on attending will probably not pay the tuition deposit and seats will free up.

Plastic is correct, after may 15th if you are accepted and wish to attend it costs 3000.00, so with that amount there may be some movement in late may.
Also remember this is a forum rife with speculation and he said/heard/she said, that often serves to excite our own neurotic nature, so data on seats - acceptances - declines or movement is pure speculation.
Good luck, there was a group of interviews today on campus and will be some on monday the 18th.

I realize locations are totally different but was sort of 50/ 50 about heading cross country.

Last edited:
So I'm in limbo where I'm currently wait-listed. I've searched in other forums but I just wanted your input here. For people like myself that are waitlisted for TUCOM or any school really, do you think it would be okay to apply early to the same school right when AACOMAS opens for submission?

Ideally I would hold back until I officially find out I am not accepted for this year, but that would be around August. The decision to wait would put me behind other candidates that applied early.

So I'm in limbo where I'm currently wait-listed. I've searched in other forums but I just wanted your input here. For people like myself that are waitlisted for TUCOM or any school really, do you think it would be okay to apply early to the same school right when AACOMAS opens for submission?

Ideally I would hold back until I officially find out I am not accepted for this year, but that would be around August. The decision to wait would put me behind other candidates that applied early.

I just withdrew my acceptance a couple days ago. Hopefully it goes to you!!
BTW, even though the last deposits was due on May 15th, they actually gave people until May 20th to pay until their place in the class was dropped so hopefully whatever expected wait list movement has yet occurred.

I am waitlisted here with a low priority :(. Anyone get accepted for low priority from last year? Do you know if a letter of interest/intent will help? I am going to email Ms. Huckle soon regarding any status updates and probably draft up a letter too.

Thanks for the heads up Erk123! I hope all the best for you and I'll keep my fingers crossed as well.

I am waitlisted here with a low priority :(. Anyone get accepted for low priority from last year? Do you know if a letter of interest/intent will help? I am going to email Ms. Huckle soon regarding any status updates and probably draft up a letter too.

I just sent over my letter of intent. I'm not sure how much it will help but it's worth a shot for us! Are you going to submit your AACOMAS application again just in case when the submissions open?

Just withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck to everyone!

Hi just wonder if there is anyone here have MCAT of 26 and got into this school?

Last edited:
Glad you took their names off it, that might have made it a no posting.

I got High Priority Waitlist. What does that mean in terms of chances of getting in?

These images were posted in the 2019 facebook group.
http://i.imgur.com/TEw8bAB.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/iLbB7B4.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/BI9l30H.jpg?1
i made it into a google doc
2015 match list per commencement guide

pls lmk if i should not have posted this...i'll take it down lol

Thanks for posting this. I've updated my post in the 'Osteopathic' forum under the 'Match lists 2015' thread. Here it is quoted here in a slightly more readable format:

TUCOM-CA c/o 2015 match list

Official and Complete

ACGME Anesthesiology SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY
ACGME Anesthesiology SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY
ACGME Anesthesiology UC Davis, Sacramento, CA

AOA Diagnostic Radiology Larkin Community Hospital, Miami, FL
AOA Diagnostic Radiology Hemet Valley Medical Center, Hemet, CA
ACGME Diagnostic Radiology University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
ACGME Diagnostic Radiology Virginia Mason, Seattle, WA

AOA Emergency Medicine Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Colton, CA
AOA Emergency Medicine Southeastern Health System, Lumberton, NC
AOA Emergency Medicine Southern Ohio Medical Center, Portsmouth, OH
AOA/ACGME Emergency Medicine Genesys Regional, Grand Blanc, MI
AOA/ACGME Emergency Medicine Genesys Regional, Grand Blanc, MI
ACGME Emergency Medicine LAC+USC, Los Angeles, CA
ACGME Emergency Medicine Darnall Army Medical Center, Fort Hood, TX
ACGME Emergency Medicine New York Hospital Queens, Queens, NY

ACGME Emergency Medicine/Family Medicine St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY

AOA Family Medicine Sierra Vista Regional Health Center, Sierra Vista, CA
AOA Family Medicine College Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
AOA Family Medicine Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO
AOA Family Medicine Palm Beach Consortium, Palm Beach, FL
AOA Family Medicine AHS Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, NJ
AOA Family Medicine Inspira Health Network/Rowan SOM OPTI, Vineland, NJ
AOA Family Medicine Brookhaven Memorial Hospital, Patchogue, NY
AOA Family Medicine Texoma Medical Center, Denison, TX
AOA Family Medicine Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR
AOA Family Medicine Corpus Christi Medical Center, Corpus Christi, TX
AOA Family Medicine Wellmont Hospital, Big Stone Gap, VA
AOA Family Medicine Community Health Center (St. Joseph Medical Center), Tacoma, WA
AOA Family Medicine PNWU-COM/Puyallup Tribal Health Authority, Tacoma, WA
AOA Family Medicine PNWU-COM/Puyallup Tribal Health Authority, Tacoma, WA
AOA/ACGME Family Medicine Aspirus Medical Center, Wausau, WI
ACGME Family Medicine UC Davis Medical Center, Davis, CA
ACGME Family Medicine UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Family Medicine White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Mercy Medical Center, Merced, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Shasta Community Health Center, Redding, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Kaiser Riverside, Riverside, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Sutter Health – Sacramento, Sacramento, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Sutter Health – Sacramento, Sacramento, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Kaiser Orange County, Santa Ana, CA
ACGME Family Medicine Marian Regional Medical Center, Santa Maria, CA
ACGME Family Medicine St. Joseph Hospital, Denver, CO
ACGME Family Medicine Montana Family Medicine, Billings, MT
ACGME Family Medicine University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
ACGME Family Medicine Providence St. Peter Hospital, Olympia, WA
ACGME Family Medicine Tacoma Family Medicine, Tacoma, WA
ACGME Family Medicine Family Medicine Center of Southwest Washington/PeaceHealth SW Medical Center, Vancouver, WA
ACGME Family Medicine University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI

AOA General Surgery Community Memorial, Ventura, CA
AOA General Surgery Medisys Health Network, Flushing, NY

ACGME General Surgery (Preliminary) Albert Einsetin-Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY
ACGME General Surgery (Preliminary) UC Irvine, Irvine, CA

AOA Internal Medicine Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center, Sierra Vista, AZ
AOA Internal Medicine Community Memorial, Ventura, CA
AOA Internal Medicine Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO
AOA Internal Medicine Wellington Regional Medical Center, Palm Beach, FL
AOA Internal Medicine Mercy Health, Muskegon, MI
AOA Internal Medicine Good Samaritan RMC, Corvalis, OR
AOA Internal Medicine Good Samaritan RMC, Corvalis, OR
AOA Internal Medicine Trios Health, Kennewick, WA
ACGME Internal Medicine UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine UC Irvine, Irvine, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Santa Clara, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Santa Clara, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine St. Mary’s Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
ACGME Internal Medicine Lincoln Medical Center, Bronx, NY
ACGME Internal Medicine Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
ACGME Internal Medicine Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan, Portland OR
ACGME Internal Medicine Wilford Hall US Air Force, Lackland, TX

ACGME Internal Medicine (Preliminary) Elmhurst Hospital Center, Queens, NY
ACGME Internal Medicine (Preliminary) UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine (Preliminary) UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Internal Medicine (Preliminary) University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Seattle, WA

AOA Neurological Surgery Desert Regional Medical Center

AOA Neurology Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
ACGME Neurology Harbor-UCLA, Torrance, CA

ACGME Obstetrics and Gynecology UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Obstetrics and Gynecology Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT
ACGME Obstetrics and Gynecology Advocate Lutheran General, Park Ridge, IL
ACGME Obstetrics and Gynecology Sparrow Medical Center, Lansing, MI

AOA Osteopathic Manipulative/Neuromuscular Medicine Mercy Health, Muskegon, MI

ACGME Pathology Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ

AOA Pediatrics Oklahoma State University Medical Center/St. Francis Childrens, Tulsa, OK
ACGME Pediatrics University of Arizona, Tuscon, CA
ACGME Pediatrics UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Pediatrics University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
ACGME Pediatrics University of South Florida/All Childrens Hospital, Tampa, FL
ACGME Pediatrics Advocate Lutheran General, Park Ridge, IL
ACGME Pediatrics Our Lady of the Lake/Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
ACGME Pediatrics Hershey Medical Center/Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA

ACGME Pediatric Neurology Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ

ACGME Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation UC Irvine, Irvine, CA
ACGME Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
ACGME Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital, Wheaton, IL

AOA Psychiatry CHI South Florida, Miami, FL
AOA Psychiatry Florida Department of Corrections, Fort Lauderdale, FL
ACGME Psychiatry University of Arizona, Tuscon, AZ
ACGME Psychiatry Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
ACGME Psychiatry UC Davis, Sacramento, CA
ACGME Psychiatry UCSF Fresno, Fresno, CA
ACGME Psychiatry Case Western Reserve University Hospital, Cleveland, OH
ACGME Psychiatry Wright State University, Dayton, OH
ACGME Psychiatry North Shore LIJ, Great Neck, NY
ACGME Psychiatry SUNY HSC, Brooklyn, NY
ACGME Psychiatry Temple University, Philadelphia, PY
ACGME Psychiatry East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN

AOA Traditional Rotating Internship College Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, CA
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship Hemet Valley Medical Center, Hemet, CA
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship Hemet Valley Medical Center, Hemet, CA
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship McLaren Hospital, Oakland, MI
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship Kennedy University Hospital, Stratford, NJ
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship Palisades Medical Center, North Bergen, NJ
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, Far Rockaway, NY
AOA Traditional Rotating Internship Coney Island Hospital, Brooklyn, NY

ACGME Transitional Year Christiana Care, Newark, DE

Does anyone know if there has been movement off the wait list yet? They said late May/early June.
I was wait listed as a 'high alternative' back in March.

Noob question - I know females have to wear shorts and sports bras for OMM. Is this the norm? And isn't it so uncomfortable? I don't have a religious reason to be uncomfortable or anything, just a little nervous haha (although one of my friends who will be attending is Muslim and wears a hijab so she is concerned about that is well). Can anyone with some experience in this comment?

High alternate as well.
From last year's thread, they sent out an email to wait-listed applicants around this time just notifying them they have started to review the waitlist and are in the process of ranking it internally. Although, I haven't received any email. Unless they don't plan one sending one this year?
From my review of previous year's threads, it looks like there is the most waitlist movement towards the end of June or first week of July. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!