Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you guys mind sharing your stats and when you completed your secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current (or former) Touro students PM me and tell me a little bit more about their school? I'd love to hear an insider's perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
@qwertypie aw shucks thanks :)

3/5 of them are west coast schools - I would've never thought!

Think I should be concerned I've been complete since August 15th and haven't heard a word about an ii? I'm in state btw...

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who received an II yesterday able to schedule an interview or know when the interview dates start? Called yesterday afternoon and today, but was told Ms. Huckle is out of office and that they're not sure when she'll be back.

Anyone who received an II yesterday able to schedule an interview or know when the interview dates start? Called yesterday afternoon and today, but was told Ms. Huckle is out of office and that they're not sure when she'll be back.

Nope. I called yesterday and left a message about 10 minutes after I got the email. Called back again today and that's exactly what they said to me too. Guess we just have to wait for her to return the calls?

Nope. I called yesterday and left a message about 10 minutes after I got the email. Called back again today and that's exactly what they said to me too. Guess we just have to wait for her to return the calls?

Sounds like it. At least we're all in the same boat! :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't calling at all the wrong times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @yogaGirl323

I just got a callback. October 7th is open and there's also another opening for September 30th (both are on Tuesdays). After that, I think it's all the next Mon/Tues dates (assuming they don't fall on some sort of holiday).

Think I should be concerned I've been complete since August 15th and haven't heard a word about an ii? I'm in state btw...

I've been completed since 7/29 and haven't heard anything yet :shrug: this is one of my top schools too. I wonder if they go in order of secondary completion and have screened me out already :unsure:

I've been completed since 7/29 and haven't heard anything yet :shrug: this is one of my top schools too. I wonder if they go in order of secondary completion and have screened me out already :unsure:

would like to know this as well..

Can any current (or former) Touro students PM me and tell me a little bit more about their school? I'd love to hear an insider's perspective.

Complete about July 26, sgpa 3.6, gpa 3.5, mcat 28
+1

Hello, I just graduated from Touro-CA this past May. If you have some specific questions regarding Touro feel free to PM me.

I'm not sure how many responses you've gotten from students and alumni so far but in general, if soliciting advice from someone on sdn, it's probably best to offer to PM with questions rather than requesting to "PM me and tell me a little bit more about their school" as we are taking the time to help you.

Hello, I just graduated from Touro-CA this past May. If you have some specific questions regarding Touro feel free to PM me.

I'm not sure how many responses you've gotten from students and alumni so far but in general, if soliciting advice from someone on sdn, it's probably best to offer to PM with questions rather than requesting to "PM me and tell me a little bit more about their school" as we are taking the time to help you.
A few people have PM'd me, which I am very thankful for. And thank you for offering to help me. It's really great to get an insider's perspective. I will take your advice and PM you with questions.

interview invite just right now! IS/3.8/30 mcat. complete august 6th. as others have said, you have to call in to schedule an interview and you only have 1 week from the date you receive the email to do so or else it delays your application. also they interview only on a Monday and Tuesday

II! But here is the question: why arent their board scores on the site? Is this a bad school?

II this morning! Scheduled for the day after my interview with Touro Nevada, so it's gonna be a hectic trip all-around!

II! But here is the question: why arent their board scores on the site? Is this a bad school?

Yes it is a bad school you should definitely withdraw your interview invite and give me a chance. :D

All jokes aside, touro-ca is easily seen as one of the top DO programs in the nation, and a very competitive one to get into.

Any links or stats to back up that statement...Im just trying to decide if I should make the trip out to the west coast...

someone: resume yay or nay? i'd rather not spend even MORE time updating mine since i have no new info to provide that wasn't on my primary.

My understanding is that the secondary application notes the resume is optional for applicants applying to their undergraduate institutions. On the admissions website (http://admissions.tu.edu/Apply-COM.2.html) it says:
  • If applying to the School of Nursing, you are also required to upload a resume and a copy of your Registered Nursing license.
So that would seem to me that you're not required to upload a resume. FWIW when I applied 4 years ago a resume was not required.

Yes it is a bad school you should definitely withdraw your interview invite and give me a chance. :D

All jokes aside, touro-ca is easily seen as one of the top DO programs in the nation, and a very competitive one to get into.

Any links or stats to back up that statement...Im just trying to decide if I should make the trip out to the west coast...

I'm not convinced that TUCOM-CA is "one of the top DO programs in the nation." Yes, it's one of the most competitive ones, especially in terms of MCAT, but this may be a byproduct of it being in California. WesternU also is very competitive and I've heard its Pomona class avg GPA/MCAT are even better than the combined stats (Pomona + Lebanon campuses). Touro-NY and NYIT are also in a similar boat being in a large, competitive applicant pool of New York and like Touro-CA and WesternU, their stats are also on par with some MD schools.

TUCOM-CA is a solid school that I feel proud having attended. However, it is less than 20 years old and it still has some kinks to work out. I would not put it among the "top DO programs" - I would reserve that title, if it even means anything, for schools like CCOM, TCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, KCUMB, etc... Touro is, however, great for those of you who would like to do residency and eventually practice in California, especially Northern California.

My understanding is that the secondary application notes the resume is optional for applicants applying to their undergraduate institutions. On the admissions website (http://admissions.tu.edu/Apply-COM.2.html) it says:
  • If applying to the School of Nursing, you are also required to upload a resume and a copy of your Registered Nursing license.
So that would seem to me that you're not required to upload a resume. FWIW when I applied 4 years ago a resume was not required.

I'm not convinced that TUCOM-CA is "one of the top DO programs in the nation." Yes, it's one of the most competitive ones, especially in terms of MCAT, but this may be a byproduct of it being in California. WesternU also is very competitive and I've heard its Pomona class avg GPA/MCAT are even better than the combined stats (Pomona + Lebanon campuses). Touro-NY and NYIT are also in a similar boat being in a large, competitive applicant pool of New York and like Touro-CA and WesternU, their stats are also on par with some MD schools.

TUCOM-CA is a solid school that I feel proud having attended. However, it is less than 20 years old and it still has some kinks to work out. I would not put it among the "top DO programs" - I would reserve that title, if it even means anything, for schools like CCOM, TCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, KCUMB, etc... Touro is, however, great for those of you who would like to do residency and eventually practice in California, especially Northern California.

I didn't intend to spark a debate about ranking, so please let's not spam this thread with "well I feel that CCOM > TCOM > TUCOM-CA > ATSU > .." you see my point. Honestly in my opinion, speaking from students the key factor to determine how well you will do on the boards is the time and effort you put into studying. I can see that some schools may prepare you better simply because of the faculty there or how they teach the material, but they can only spoon feed you so much information. It is up to the student to solidify those understanding by hitting the books, etc. and if you score well above avg on the comlex or usmle, you will be set to succeed regardless of the school you attend.

I didn't intend to spark a debate about ranking, so please let's not spam this thread with "well I feel that CCOM > TCOM > TUCOM-CA > ATSU > .." you see my point. Honestly in my opinion, speaking from students the key factor to determine how well you will do on the boards is the time and effort you put into studying. I can see that some schools may prepare you better simply because of the faculty there or how they teach the material, but they can only spoon feed you so much information. It is up to the student to solidify those understanding by hitting the books, etc. and if you score well above avg on the comlex or usmle, you will be set to succeed regardless of the school you attend.

Is it your opinion that a reasonably intelligent person could study their way to a high board score?

Not spamming the thread. I am simply a TUCOM-CA grad that recognizes the deficiencies in the school I attended; I believe my experiences are pretty valuable to your application.

Hi Everyone,

I received a secondary from the Nevada campus, but not here. I'm a Cali resident. My question was is the secondary application the same for both schools? I started to fill out the secondary anticipating this school to send me one, and that secondary has no become an active one for Nevada.

Do we submit only one if we applied to both schools?

Thanks.

Not spamming the thread. I am simply a TUCOM-CA grad that recognizes the deficiencies in the school I attended; I believe my experiences are pretty valuable to your application.

It wasn't directed to you..Just didn't want it to spark a whole discussion on rankings of DO school from other ppl, sorry if you felt "attacked". In any event, would you mind enlightening us on the deficiencies you speak of?

Hi Everyone,

I received a secondary from the Nevada campus, but not here. I'm a Cali resident. My question was is the secondary application the same for both schools? I started to fill out the secondary anticipating this school to send me one, and that secondary has no become an active one for Nevada.

Do we submit only one if we applied to both schools?

Thanks.
There are separate secondaries for both schools. You have to submit both.

Love this school, one of my top choices. Applied late last cycle and had a terrible interview and got medium waitlisted. Anyone know how friendly they are to reapplicants?

Love this school, one of my top choices. Applied late last cycle and had a terrible interview and got medium waitlisted. Anyone know how friendly they are to reapplicants?

Sorry to hear. What made the interview so terrible?

II!! Complete 8/13. 30, 3.5, 3.3.

Anyone know the acceptance to interview ratio?

Scheduled my interview today for 10/21!! The next available date was 10/28 in case anyone was wondering.

I scheduled my interview for 10/20! Is anyone else interviewing at that date who'd like to share a room? Girls only please. PM me please.

The interview itself is not bad. The interviewers are fairly friendly and the questions are not hard, but the questions can be general, so that is either good or bad depending on your interview style and/or how you prepared. Definitely look at the questions on sdn before. Write out responses like you are preparing for a speech because the panel format does feel like public speaking. For me I had trouble because the questions were too broad and I am not a quick thinker when public speaking. I probably came across as nervous and/or unprepared.

I think most people will find this interview not too challenging if they are good at answering open-ended/broad interview questions.

Does anyone know how many they interview vs. How many they accept?

I know faculty at Touro have told me they have about 400 applicants for each seat. I don't actually know how that compares to other medical schools (they said it was similar to a high tier MD), or how that correlates to interview acceptance rates, but hopefully it partially answers your question!