Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello SDN, been a long time lurker.

I interview here on 2/3. Any advice for the interview? Any materials to study before going in (LoL)?

Hi doctorgator! Don't stress out about the interview too much. It's a group interview but they ask you questions individually, so as long as you don't repeat what others already said (or at least acknowledge that they said it), it's not a problem at all. The questions are usually regarding specific activities or something in your secondary, so know your app.

I thought the faculty interviewers were extremely friendly and engaging. The only thing that was off for me was the student interviewer. He didn't really resonate with my application so he gave me very dry, generic, redundant questions that weren't really relevant to my app and never smiled (maybe trying to be a hardass? power tripping? or just didn't like me as a candidate?). But I'm sure you'll jive with at least 1 of the 3 interviewers!

I got tons of DO questions - why DO, difference between MD/DO, how to implement DO techniques, etc. (although only 1 of my interviewers was a DO, so make sure not to say anything anti-MD). As long as you're prepared for that, you should be all set!

Oh yeah, make sure not to space out while others are talking!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 1/6 and got high alternate...not really surprised, though.

I knew I interviewed well, but I think it's my low mcat holding me back. 3.5/3.4/28.

Kind of bummed because it looks like waitlist movement last year was quite slooooooooooooooooowwww..

Kinda of a dumb question, but where do we mail the LORs? I can't find an address on the website and I want to make sure to send it to the right place...

Members don't see this ad :)
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California Admissions
ATTN: Office of Admissions
1310 Club Drive, Mare Island
Vallejo, CA94592

Does anyone know who we send application updates to?

Did anyone just get the supplementary app now? I applied months ago and they just sent it to me. Should I even fill it out this late?

Did anyone just get the supplementary app now? I applied months ago and they just sent it to me. Should I even fill it out this late?

I received my secondary in middle of December. After submitting my primary in October. Got an interview invite two weeks after the holidays wee over.

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/20

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today!! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! So stoked! Congratulations and good luck to the rest of you sdn-ers. This whole process is a doozy.

Reactions: 1 users
ii yesterday! Very excited to interview here, especially since I hail from the midwest (or east or south or north.. depends on who you ask).

My question then (that wasn't answered in an earlier post on this forum): can someone go into more detail beyond what's listed on the website on the MPH program? Is it completely online, no additional years of education, how many people/percent of the class enroll vs. complete, etc? Thanks!

Plenty of info on the MPH program is given on interview day. Trust me, PLENTY!! :p

How long does it take for the decision to come in the mail? I would have expected Friday decisions to have arrived by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the latest interview dates people have right now?

I plan on reapplying with my new mcat score next cycle
CA resident
MCAT1: 21 MCAT2: 27 (9b,8p,10v)
cGPA: 3.6 sGPA:3.6
not trad
only 1 year of psych research no publications
only 1 year of volunteering/shadowing a MD as an MA ~130hrs
40hrs shadowing MD
From those that were accepted (congrats by the way) what do you think?

I plan on reapplying with my new mcat score next cycle
CA resident
MCAT1: 21 MCAT2: 27 (9b,8p,10v)
cGPA: 3.6 sGPA:3.6
not trad
only 1 year of psych research no publications
only 1 year of volunteering/shadowing a MD as an MA ~130hrs
40hrs shadowing MD
From those that were accepted (congrats by the way) what do you think?

I think you should go ahead and apply. Apply as early in the cycle as you can, and apply to multiple schools. You'll hear this over and over again, but applying early and broadly will give you the best shot for an acceptance. We all try so hard to calculate our acceptance chances at particular schools, but there is so much subjectivity involved that it's sort of impossible. Just do your best, and apply to any schools that you might like to attend. Within reason. If your scores etc. are within range of the averages for the school, which yours seem to be for TUCOM, then it's worth a shot, I think.

Has anyone had unprofessional email responses to their questions from lynn huckle? I'm not sure why, 4 months after my submission of a secondary, my request to see if my application was complete was met with rudeness. Follow up question: if they did indeed wait 4 months to complete it (and only after me bringing it to their attention), is that grounds to request a refund?

Last edited:
I submitted everything to them in October as well! My follow-up email in November never received a response, and I did have to call them this week before they finally said anything to me. Thank goodness I wasn't holding out for them! I had been so preoccupied with several other interviews (which have thankfully been turned into acceptances now) that I had forgotten about Touro. I'm sure they'll give me the run-around (IE: we've been busy, we get tons of applicants, etc) and not refund my money. But they should.

I had similar issues with correspondence 2 years ago when I applied to their MSMHS. Soooo glad I decided to do a tailored postbac at the community college (grand total price tag: $2,000) instead of the 30k (and headache) for theirs.

Is it wrong to expect a little respect and timely review of my app for the $100 app fee?

Anyway, rant over. For now :)

UPDATE: I think (it's hard to tell with Lynn's terse emails) that my app was complete back in October and they just failed to notify me. I'm still withdrawing. Hope everyone else has had a better experience than I have!

Last edited:
Congratulations everyone on your acceptances. Touro is a good school to train and if you work hard there will be tons of great opportunities open to you for residency.
How about general surgery residency programs?

How about general surgery residency programs?

Last year we had 6 people match general surgery. Of those, 3 were ACGME, 2 military and 1 AOA. The year before that we had 3 total, with 1 ACGME and 2 AOA. This is not including some people who matched into a prelim surgical year, who could have intended to reapply to a surgical subspecialty or try to stay in that program for the remaining 4 years of gen surg.

The school won't hold you back. We have great surgical rotation opportunities including an ortho rotation in SF, laser plastics and gen surg in the Bay, and other good options at core sites throughout CA and NY. It'll be up to you to crush step 1 / level 1 and be the kind of rock star student who impresses on rotations, gets excellent letters and matches at your top choice program.

Last year we had 6 people match general surgery. Of those, 3 were ACGME, 2 military and 1 AOA. The year before that we had 3 total, with 1 ACGME and 2 AOA. This is not including some people who matched into a prelim surgical year, who could have intended to reapply to a surgical subspecialty or try to stay in that program for the remaining 4 years of gen surg.

The school won't hold you back. We have great surgical rotation opportunities including an ortho rotation in SF, laser plastics and gen surg in the Bay, and other good options at core sites throughout CA and NY. It'll be up to you to crush step 1 / level 1 and be the kind of rock star student who impresses on rotations, gets excellent letters and matches at your top choice program.
Thank you for the accurate info! My friends told me that I would have less opportunities for general surgery residency if I go to DO school, so I needed to hear from someone who actually went to a DO school.

Has anybody with a MCAT of 27 gotten any II or acceptance here? GPAs are ~3.45 and ~3.4 for both sci and cumulative.

Has anyone who interviewed in early February heard back yet? (I interviewed 3 Feb.) I thought we'd be receiving an unofficial email today, but as of yet nothing...

Has anyone who interviewed in early February heard back yet? (I interviewed 3 Feb.) I thought we'd be receiving an unofficial email today, but as of yet nothing...

Did you email Steven Davis to ask for the unofficial decision to be sent to you? If you didn't send him an email then you would't get an unofficial decision.

Did you email Steven Davis to ask for the unofficial decision to be sent to you? If you didn't send him an email then you would't get an unofficial decision.

I sent him an email, and received an automated reply:
"I will be out of the office for the week of February 16th, returning on February 23rd. Your email is important to me and I will respond as soon as possible upon my return.
Steven Davis
Director of Admissions"

I sent Ms. Huckle an email to see if she might provide an unofficial decision. This wait is killing me...

I sent him an email, and received an automated reply:
"I will be out of the office for the week of February 16th, returning on February 23rd. Your email is important to me and I will respond as soon as possible upon my return.
Steven Davis
Director of Admissions"

I sent Ms. Huckle an email to see if she might provide an unofficial decision. This wait is killing me...

I sent him an email about something else and got the same reply (he was going to be out of town for a week). He ended up emailing me back later that night so I am not sure his away message is accurate. Hopefully you hear soon. If a decision was made on your application last Friday then I would check your mail today!

I sent him an email about something else and got the same reply (he was going to be out of town for a week). He ended up emailing me back later that night so I am not sure his away message is accurate. Hopefully you hear soon. If a decision was made on your application last Friday then I would check your mail today!

I shall check my mail! Sadly, it's as if Mr. Davis, President's Day, and this snow storm blanketing the east coast have all conspired to prevent me from receiving word from Touro. Absurd.

For those accepted, mind sharing your stats?

3.96 (bio major, biomed minor) and 29 (11 BS, 10 VR, 8 PS)
Non trad, fair amount of clinical and volunteer experiences, zero research, meh interview.

3.96 (bio major, biomed minor) and 29 (11 BS, 10 VR, 8 PS)
Non trad, fair amount of clinical and volunteer experiences, zero research, meh interview.

May I ask when you interviewed, more or less?

And do you guys think that the later you interview, the harder it is it get in (class almost full, etc.)?

May I ask when you interviewed, more or less?

And do you guys think that the later you interview, the harder it is it get in (class almost full, etc.)?

From what I gathered, they limit the number of acceptances after ~Jan. to just a handful per admissions committee meeting.

I interviewed January 20th. Accepted the 30th. I think with most schools, the later you interview, the harder it is to get in. I also don't think that should be a factor in deciding whether to apply. There are so many unknowns in the admissions process. People with 25 mcats can get in in March; people with 33s are rejected in July. If you like a school, and have average stats for a school- then you should probably go for it. If you're rejected, at least you could learn where your weaknesses are for next cycle. Just my $.02.

I interviewed January 20th. Accepted the 30th. I think with most schools, the later you interview, the harder it is to get in. I also don't think that should be a factor in deciding whether to apply. There are so many unknowns in the admissions process. People with 25 mcats can get in in March; people with 33s are rejected in July. If you like a school, and have average stats for a school- then you should probably go for it. If you're rejected, at least you could learn where your weaknesses are for next cycle. Just my $.02.

Thanks. Applied already and got my first two ii's last week, both for March, so I'm to see how much harder it is later in the cycle. But you're right, there are so many variables and it's school dependent

Thanks. Applied already and got my first two ii's last week, both for March, so I'm to see how much harder it is later in the cycle. But you're right, there are so many variables and it's school dependent

I am sure you still have a great chance of being accepted. Touro does not seem to interview too many students. Good luck!

I am sure you still have a great chance of being accepted. Touro does not seem to interview too many students. Good luck!

Thanks! :) it's my top choice so I'm really nervous for the interview

Thanks! :) it's my top choice so I'm really nervous for the interview

If it makes you feel any better, I felt I had my worst interview here, and still got in. Still try your best, of course, but thankfully they look at a whole lot more than just the interview. Good luck!

My secondary was complete in early January. Should I not lose hope yet?

I was very close to losing hope when I got an ii last week :) the cycle is not over yet! And hopefully people will start dropping their interviews and acceptances as they get into their first choices, so maybe more spots will open up soon.

@doppio

I have been done since mid-late January and I haven't heard anything yet either. I am starting to lose hope but try not to think much about it. Good luck to both of us.

Will be withdrawing from here. Good luck to everyone!

@doppio

I have been done since mid-late January and I haven't heard anything yet either. I am starting to lose hope but try not to think much about it. Good luck to both of us.
Yes, good luck to both of us! I can't believe I spent $200 for each Touro application. Did you apply to Western?

Just received an ii here yesterday, I had already ruled out any possibility of going here and was planning on RVU. Very confused now on what to do. Definitely still going to this interview, but I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the school's positive and negatives for someone out of state. Also what do students at this school do for fun?

Just received an ii here yesterday, I had already ruled out any possibility of going here and was planning on RVU. Very confused now on what to do. Definitely still going to this interview, but I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the school's positive and negatives for someone out of state. Also what do students at this school do for fun?

I can't give you too much information, but for me personally I could not be paid enough to go to RVU over Touro CA. I know a lot of medical schools have questionable finances, but I think the for-profit status of RVU is disgusting and I worry that a school of this classification may not be around in the near future (Just speculation).

I can't give you too much information, but for me personally I could not be paid enough to go to RVU over Touro CA. I know a lot of medical schools have questionable finances, but I think the for-profit status of RVU is disgusting and I worry that a school of this classification may not be around in the near future (Just speculation).
I don't know if you have ever been to RVU, but the for-profit status has zero effect on the curriculum or the students. I have interviewed and been accepted to other schools, and no other school seemed as happy or loving their education. I have not heard from any student there that the for-profit status has had a negative effect on their education or experience. This isn't the right thread for this, but I can't look at that as a reason alone to not attend RVU. Just wondering what touro has to offer!

I don't know if you have ever been to RVU, but the for-profit status has zero effect on the curriculum or the students. I have interviewed and been accepted to other schools, and no other school seemed as happy or loving their education. I have not heard from any student there that the for-profit status has had a negative effect on their education or experience. This isn't the right thread for this, but I can't look at that as a reason alone to not attend RVU. Just wondering what touro has to offer!

I haven't been to RVU but from their website it seemed like there aren't many research opportunities. I'm not sure if it's because it's a relatively new school or maybe has something to do with the for-profit status. In any case, Touro seems to be expanding their research, and also, being in the Bay area with a lot of top notch universities around may give you a wider range of places where you could be involved in research (if it's something you're interested in).
You probably can't go wrong with either choice, I'd rather live near SF than near Denver though :) I think location is really important