Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
its been 9 weeks since i have been complete. Should I email them or is that not a good idea?

probably not a good idea, if your'e complete they have your file

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as I interviewed here today and saw it- I think I can speak on their behalf. It's like a 15x15' room, no windows, think large bedroom with some equipment. Not a strong point of the campus that's for sure.

I will say everyone we met today was super friendly, and I was especially impressed with Dr. Hartwig and the talk he gave, and his honesty about fit - how he said he "wasn't trying to sell the school"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agreed. I interviewed yesterday (9/21) but everyone seemed super friendly! Campus aesthetic threw me off a bit but I liked everything about their program. Dr. Hartwig was awesome too! Fingers crossed for good news

Members don't see this ad :)
II received this afternoon :) 3.61cGPA, 512 MCAT, CA resident (Bay Area!), complete 08/23

Earliest interview date available was 11/22

For those who interviewed, is it a group or individual interview?

For those who interviewed, is it a group or individual interview?
Interviews are pretty chill, it is 3 interviews on 5 together in a room. makes for an odd interview in panel style, but the questions are not difficult. It was nice hearing about the stories of the others.

Interviews are pretty chill, it is 3 interviews on 5 together in a room. makes for an odd interview in panel style, but the questions are not difficult. It was nice hearing about the stories of the others.
I agree! Hearing about others' backgrounds, experiences, and reasons for medicine was my favorite part of the interview!!! It was truly humbling.

Please describe your exposure to and understanding of Osteopathic Medicine. Content may include your initial introduction to the profession, its history, use in medical practice today, or any other aspects that may highlight Osteopathic Medicine’s uniqueness and synergy with your envisioned future practice of medicine.

the word limit is 500 but I've only written 269 words? should i try expanding my word count

If you interviewed in September decisions are out!! Check your emails!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! The only thing that is a bummer is the 2 week deposit, which puts it due JUST before MD acceptances can start going out. Thats the one that I hate about the DO process....the MD programs at least give you the opportunity to see what the financial packages will be, and some time to see what all your options are.

Got rejected today- not surprised, it really wasn't a good fit. Coming from large research university on east coast, BSc. + MSc.. Dr. Hartwig really emphasizes that the school wants to choose students who will be a good fit and wants students to choose a school that would be a good fit for them, so in following his words I'm not too disappointed (first rejection still stings though!). Thought my interview was okay, but who knows what the reason was! Anyways, best of luck to everyone else! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Date the letter was sent which is the same as the email (or at least that's what we were told would happen - someone asked because they were concerned about it being mailed to Canada and taking a while). It counts towards tuition if you matriculate, otherwise fully non-refundable.

Date the letter was sent which is the same as the email (or at least that's what we were told would happen - someone asked because they were concerned about it being mailed to Canada and taking a while). It counts towards tuition if you matriculate, otherwise fully non-refundable.

You know I thought it was illegal in the state of california to charge more than 250 as a non-refundable part of a deposit for a school if the student never attends the school.

Got rejected today- not surprised, it really wasn't a good fit. Coming from large research university on east coast, BSc. + MSc.. Dr. Hartwig really emphasizes that the school wants to choose students who will be a good fit and wants students to choose a school that would be a good fit for them, so in following his words I'm not too disappointed (first rejection still stings though!). Thought my interview was okay, but who knows what the reason was! Anyways, best of luck to everyone else! :)
Sorry, may i ask, what is your status?
Best luck to you too.

Received a secondary. Anyone know how hard they screen post-secondary? Or the secondary to II rate? Would really love to attend this school.

Received a secondary. Anyone know how hard they screen post-secondary? Or the secondary to II rate? Would really love to attend this school.
I think what I remember from the info session at the interview is that they receive ~6000 apps, interview ~500 and accept ~340 or so for a class for 135.

Sorry, may i ask, what is your status?
Best luck to you too.
Sure, 32 MCAT, 3.7 undergrad at top research uni in Canada, 4.0 masters still in Canada. It's definitely not all about numbers though- this school really was not a good fit for me. Not sure if I gave a bad interview, or if they knew it wasn't a good fit but regardless it's not about stats at all once you make the cut off.

Sure, 32 MCAT, 3.7 undergrad at top research uni in Canada, 4.0 masters still in Canada. It's definitely not all about numbers though- this school really was not a good fit for me. Not sure if I gave a bad interview, or if they knew it wasn't a good fit but regardless it's not about stats at all once you make the cut off.

Speaking as someone who was sitting next to you, I thought your interview was the strongest out of our entire group and went very well - I think this just shows the process is so opaque.

Speaking as someone who was sitting next to you, I thought your interview was the strongest out of our entire group and went very well - I think this just shows the process is so opaque.

Thank you, that is very kind! I also think it truly highlights the holistic approach of the admissions committee. Obviously stats are the first step in securing a secondary / interview, but we all tend to forget that schools look for certain students who will flourish in that environment, and pick students they think will choose them back (Dr. Hartwig even mentioned this in his presentation).

For everyone who is feeling overwhelmed by the uncertainty of the process, keep this in mind and stay positive :) you're more than a LizzyM!!!

Has anyone paid the deposit yet? The campus isn't in the list of programs for me - called and waiting to hear back since no one answered...wondering if anyone else had this issue?

Is there a way to check application status on the portal?

I just remembered, it's Yom Kippur, no wonder no one was calling me back! Still, anyone pay that deposit though?

That feel when 2.5 months and no response...

I want an extension!

Right? Give me one day extra is all I ask, just until EOD on Monday. Is that really too much? I sent in my forms today, but just went back and checked and paying the deposit isn't even an option for me yet, only DO harlem 1&2 are listen and middletown 1&2 under TC DO. WTF mate.

Right? Give me one day extra is all I ask, just until EOD on Monday. Is that really too much? I sent in my forms today, but just went back and checked and paying the deposit isn't even an option for me yet, only DO harlem 1&2 are listen and middletown 1&2 under TC DO. WTF mate.
Just give me until the 17th!!!! Waiting to hear back from my state school that will be 100K cheaper. I have mixed feelings about the school.

Just give me until the 17th!!!! Waiting to hear back from my state school that will be 100K cheaper. I have mixed feelings about the school.

We are the same person. I have 2 MD's both instate (OHSU and UW) that I'm waiting to hear from, and interviewed at very first day

We are the same person. I have 2 MD's both instate (OHSU and UW) that I'm waiting to hear from, and interviewed at very first day

I have one MD done , and two more scheduled. But I am a risk averse person so might end up paying the deposit.

Same situation here, I would rather just have a backup, 2k in the scope of things is a drop in the bucket. I sent in my paperwork yesterday, but still....no way to pay the deposit and no returned call. Will have to call again at my lunch at work today.

update: they emailed back and "everything looks good on our end" so I had to send screenshots. We'll see what happens

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Same situation here, I would rather just have a backup, 2k in the scope of things is a drop in the bucket. I sent in my paperwork yesterday, but still....no way to pay the deposit and no returned call. Will have to call again at my lunch at work today.

update: they emailed back and "everything looks good on our end" so I had to send screenshots. We'll see what happens
Did it work for you ?

Not yet...still waiting to hear back, I called and said that I had emailed but was worried about the due date and she said not to worry and the director of admissions should be getting back to me when he catches up on emails

Not yet...still waiting to hear back, I called and said that I had emailed but was worried about the due date and she said not to worry and the director of admissions should be getting back to me when he catches up on emails
Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow night?

"two weeks from when you receive the letter, which was dated the 30th which is a Friday, so I'm assuming tomorrow?

"two weeks from when you receive the letter, which was dated the 30th which is a Friday, so I'm assuming tomorrow?
I too am assuming it is tomorrow. I am kind of excited at the possibility of moving to Cali, not too excited about the hundreds of hours of OMM.

I too am assuming it is tomorrow. I am kind of excited at the possibility of moving to Cali, not too excited about the hundreds of hours of OMM.
Cali is amazing. I've lived here my whole life. Why are you not looking forward to OMM? It is an excellent tool. And even if you don't use it your understanding of anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics is much better for it.

Cali is amazing. I've lived here my whole life. Why are you not looking forward to OMM? It is an excellent tool. And even if you don't use it your understanding of anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics is much better for it.
I am a very evidence driven person. The evidence supporting OMM is limited compared to alternative therapies. Most DO's I know do not practice OMM for this very reason. Seems like an excess amount of time spent on something that I will probably not use and that has limited evidence.

I have this same feeling for OMM - and I think it's hard for someone like me because while there are parts of it that do have evidence supporting, many, many, students and or professors push it in such a way that turns me off.

I have this same feeling for OMM - and I think it's hard for someone like me because while there are parts of it that do have evidence supporting, many, many, students and or professors push it in such a way that turns me off.
I mean its an identity thing. It is the only real thing that differentiates them from the MD brethren. So I get the reason for the focus, but talking about it in unrealistic terms without any doubt turns me off as well.