Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wasn't able to get a hold of her today, it would just make me feel better knowing others haven't got it yet either haha.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Call before between 9a-12p. She usually answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it looks like most people who interviewed beginning of Feb are wait listed. This school is kinda weird with their wait list though based on what happened earlier in the cycle. A bunch of people who were wait listed a few months ago got accepted off the wait list about a month later.. I'm really hoping to get off this wait list. As of now I'm going to SOMA and I like this school way more than that one..

Yeah I chose here over SOMA too

Interviewed Feb 26. Waitlisted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know, are there still spots left or are we interviewing for wait list positions at this point? (Interviewing end of the month)

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the wait list and interviewing!

I was told they accept students interviewing late in the cycle (March April May) too but will be a little more picky in their selection.

Reactions: 1 users
Nonetheless, do your best and be yourself! Prepare for Qs:
1. Why Touro NV
2. Be able to explain weak points from your application (low mcat, gpa, volunteer hours). Getting to the interview clearly means everything from your application meets their expectations. Be honest with your answer and explain why that still makes you a strong candidate compared to everyone else.
3. Why DO
4. Your journey to medical school
5. Difficult situation in life and clinical

With only 20 minutes, you clearly don't have much time to give them your life's story (as compelling as it might be especially for non-traditional applicants like myself), but practicing traditional questions, reading over your amcas accomplishments should help you prepare for the interview.

Hope this helps!

Since applying, I have done about 20 additional hours shadowing a DO. I didn't have shadowing a DO on my original application, just an MD. How open is TUNCOM to application updates before my interview? Also, the DO I've been shadowing would like to write me a letter of recommendation - again, is this something I can add to my file?

Since applying, I have done about 20 additional hours shadowing a DO. I didn't have shadowing a DO on my original application, just an MD. How open is TUNCOM to application updates before my interview? Also, the DO I've been shadowing would like to write me a letter of recommendation - again, is this something I can add to my file?

Feel like that is more of a question you should directly ask the admissions. TBH, 20 extra hours does not seem significant. I noticed most DO schools do not care about how many hours you have shadowed but more of what you got out of your experiences while shadowing + letter.

Unless there is something significant in the 20 hours that you did not know before applying to medical school or the letter will shine light on something new that is not within your application I don't think it will make a big deal, it might even delay your application a little. But it is definitely a question to ask admissions!

As long as you shadowed a DO and know the minor differences between MD/DO and large similarities between them and why those minor differences led you to DO prior to applying, you will be fine.

Good luck!

Edit: I am nice try. I just reread it. For some reason I thought you had additional DO hours. But you wrote you had MD hours. Then yes, I would call and try to update your application. But also try to explain why you applied to DO schools without shadowing a DO and what made you shadow one later on. They might ask that.

Feel like that is more of a question you should directly ask the admissions. TBH, 20 extra hours does not seem significant. I noticed most DO schools do not care about how many hours you have shadowed but more of what you got out of your experiences while shadowing + letter.

Unless there is something significant in the 20 hours that you did not know before applying to medical school or the letter will shine light on something new that is not within your application I don't think it will make a big deal, it might even delay your application a little. But it is definitely a question to ask admissions!

As long as you shadowed a DO and know the minor differences between MD/DO and large similarities between them and why those minor differences led you to DO prior to applying, you will be fine.

Good luck!

Edit: I am nice try. I just reread it. For some reason I thought you had additional DO hours. But you wrote you had MD hours. Then yes, I would call and try to update your application. But also try to explain why you applied to DO schools without shadowing a DO and what made you shadow one later on. They might ask that.
Ha ha, yeah if it was just additional hours then I wouldn't worry, but seeing as they are new hours with a DO rather than MD I feel it's important to show that I've shadowed both and chose DO for a reason. (Hadn't been able to sync up with a DO prior to application being submitted but knew I was very interested) I will give admissions a call and see how they would like me to go about adding that. Thanks for the insight :)

Ha ha, yeah if it was just additional hours then I wouldn't worry, but seeing as they are new hours with a DO rather than MD I feel it's important to show that I've shadowed both and chose DO for a reason. (Hadn't been able to sync up with a DO prior to application being submitted but knew I was very interested) I will give admissions a call and see how they would like me to go about adding that. Thanks for the insight :)
I was not asked at all about my shadowing, ECs or any other related activity during my interview. My interview only focused on the very basic questions. Why touro, why DO. The majority of my interview focused only on my weaknesses. Be able to address those and you should be alright.

I sent an update letter before my interview to Amber ([email protected]) and she added it to my file. Not sure how much of an impact it had but I think it's definitely something good to do. That way they have the update when they make a decision post-interview. I am also adding a DO letter to my app. The DO doesn't use Interfolio so I'm just going to have him email it directly to Amber. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was wait listed here earlier this month. I am wondering if anyone can provide any information about how many or how much movement the waitlist has. From what I have gathered this school doesn't really specify where you are on the list and doesn't share information on the topic. I guess I am looking for anyone that has kept up with the posts on the forum or a current student that can give an opinion or estimate on the amount of movement.

So how many people have gotten waitlisted and felt like their interview was practically gold? I interviewed on 3/10 and felt like it couldn't have gone any better, but I don't know what my chances are since it is so late in the cycle, and most people who interviewed 2/26 were waitlisted.

So how many people have gotten waitlisted and felt like their interview was practically gold? I interviewed on 3/10 and felt like it couldn't have gone any better, but I don't know what my chances are since it is so late in the cycle, and most people who interviewed 2/26 were waitlisted.
I felt pretty good about mine...even got good feedback from one of my interviewers as a reply to my thank you email...and the waiting continues...sigh
Maybe because of my stats (3.3, 27) plus a late interview...who knows...Good luck!

Does anybody know how Touro Nevada's board scores rank in comparison to other DO schools? Thanks!

Does anybody know how Touro Nevada's board scores rank in comparison to other DO schools? Thanks!
I hear TUNCOM does pretty well with boards. Something like 95% passes uslme and comlex step 1. Maybe a current student can chip in with some insight

Reactions: 1 users
Hey anyone still waiting on interviews? It's been over a month and a half since my secondary and I am really hoping to still receive an interview. I don't think my stats are bad, cGPA & sGPA 3.6, MCAT: 29, plenty of extracurricular activities and volunteering. Why the long wait for the interview? Do I still have a chance? Any advise would help :/

Hey anyone still waiting on interviews? It's been over a month and a half since my secondary and I am really hoping to still receive an interview. I don't think my stats are bad, cGPA & sGPA 3.6, MCAT: 29, plenty of extracurricular activities and volunteering. Why the long wait for the interview? Do I still have a chance? Any advise would help :/

I interviewed there recently and they seem to still have interview spots available. If I were in your situation I would email admissions explaining how you would love to attend TUN and see what happens.

FYI: I was complete about 2 months ago and scheduled my interview a few weeks ago. So they might still be reviewing your application. Either way a letter of interest can only help. Best of luck!

I interviewed there recently and they seem to still have interview spots available. If I were in your situation I would email admissions explaining how you would love to attend TUN and see what happens.

FYI: I was complete about 2 months ago and scheduled my interview a few weeks ago. So they might still be reviewing your application. Either way a letter of interest can only help. Best of luck!

Thank you! You are right, they are still reviewing my application. I was told I should here something next week.

So for anyone who interviewed on March 10th, has anyone heard anything yet? Is it too early still for us to hear from the school?

I sent an update letter before my interview to Amber ([email protected]) and she added it to my file. Not sure how much of an impact it had but I think it's definitely something good to do. That way they have the update when they make a decision post-interview. I am also adding a DO letter to my app. The DO doesn't use Interfolio so I'm just going to have him email it directly to Amber. Good luck!

Letters are not usually read.

Letters are not usually read.
Amber had me bring my update letter as well as my new DO letter of recommendation directly to my interview. I gave her the originals and then was instructed to hand two other copies to my interviewers. We talked about them in my interview and I was glad I brought them since some of their questions were answered directly through my update :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was wait listed here earlier this month. I am wondering if anyone can provide any information about how many or how much movement the waitlist has. From what I have gathered this school doesn't really specify where you are on the list and doesn't share information on the topic. I guess I am looking for anyone that has kept up with the posts on the forum or a current student that can give an opinion or estimate on the amount of movement.

When did you interview?

Just wanted to let you guys know that the last interview date for Touro-NV is on 4/28.
I was told his as I was scheduling my interview.

Have any accepted students made housing plans yet? I interviewed February 11 and was accepted on March 3. I have checked the classifieds within TUN Live to get an idea for housing options, but haven't made plans at this point. I would like to find another first year DO student to share a 2 bed/2 bath apartment with near campus.

I just recently semi-finalized housing plans. You may want to start looking into it. There are already waitlists for certain apartment complexes especially since so many people want to move in around the same time.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely going to start looking for a place. With that said, if anyone wants a roommate let me know, I’m a 28 year non-trad student.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely going to start looking for a place. With that said, if anyone wants a roommate let me know, I’m a 28 year non-trad student.
My wife and I are thinking buying a house and rent out the extra rooms , u interesting? We haven't quite decided yet.

So for anyone who interviewed on March 10th, has anyone heard anything yet? Is it too early still for us to hear from the school?

I still haven't heard anything yet. Have you? I remember Amber said it should take about 3-4 weeks

My wife and I are thinking buying a house and rent out the extra rooms , u interesting? We haven't quite decided yet.

I'm thinking that I would prefer to stick to a smaller apartment with just one rommate to eliminate the extra distractions from additional roommates. I appreciate the offer.

I'm thinking that I would prefer to stick to a smaller apartment with just one rommate to eliminate the extra distractions from additional roommates. I appreciate the offer.
Completely understand, we are the same way too. That's why we are thinking maybe a duplex if the price is right. No worries!

I still haven't heard anything yet. Have you? I remember Amber said it should take about 3-4 weeks
No I haven't heard anything yet. In 4 days it will have been 4 weeks, so hopefully we hear then. Last thursday I talked to someone in admissions and they let it slip that they hadn't made any decisions on anyone yet. So in all reality they are probably just really behind, but man the waiting sure is rough!

Completely understand, we are the same way too. That's why we are thinking maybe a duplex if the price is right. No worries!

A duplex would be a great investment! Keep me in the loop if you decide to go that route, I'm finding out that a lot of the apartments have waiting lists as zerochaosx mentioned.

Is it just me or is this school hard to get a hold of? I've called 4xs to schedule an interview and no answer yet. Even left a voice mail. Finally sent an email.

No I haven't heard anything yet. In 4 days it will have been 4 weeks, so hopefully we hear then. Last thursday I talked to someone in admissions and they let it slip that they hadn't made any decisions on anyone yet. So in all reality they are probably just really behind, but man the waiting sure is rough!

Well no news is good news I guess for now! haahah ;)

Let's hope for the best! Good luck mate!

Seems like they are transitioning to a new admissions counselor. Amber is leaving for a new job. That might be causing some of the delay.

Interviewed 4/1/14, fingers crossed for acceptance! I really hope everything works! Ideas on how many spots have been filled already?

Interviewed 3/18. So tomorrow will be 3 weeks! Keeping my fingers crossed that within the next week I hear good news! The suspense has been killing me!

Interviewed 3/10, and today makes exactly 4 weeks. Haven't heard back yet. :whistle:

Hello everyone,
I do not know if this has been covered yet and that it is late in the application cycle but I just wanted to post this to help anyone get in late in the cycle that may need it. There are 2 questions you WILL BE ASKED ON YOUR INTERVIEW AT TOURO NV.
1. Why do you want to come to Touro NV?
2. Why do you want to be a Doctor of Osteopathy?
Our school is heavy on OMM. We want passionate future Osteopathic physicians! If you can truly deliver a genuine interview with solid answers to these questions in particular, you stand a good chance.

To those on the current wait list: Hold onto your position. There is typically a lot of movement in the final month before school begins in July. Good luck and God bless.

finally heard back and got accepted!
Congrats! Good luck on your decision between SOMA and Touro. Do you mind posting which date you interviewed? This waiting is killing me!

Congrats! Good luck on your decision between SOMA and Touro. Do you mind posting which date you interviewed? This waiting is killing me!

Thank you, I am very conflicted and don't know what to do...

I interviewed on 2/26. When did you interview? I just heard back today, so you might be hearing back soon!

I interviewed on 2/26. When did you interview? I just heard back today, so you might be hearing back soon!

Congrats! Deciding between schools is a good problem to have!

Come to Touro! Did you get a CHC from SOMA? I was accepted to SOMA as well but decided on Touro.

I got my second top choice x.x. How did you finally decide on Touro?

I picked Touro for a variety of reasons.
  1. Overall, I felt I fit better with the school.
  2. I preferred the more traditional approach to the pre-clinical years. SOMA’s 1+3 is innovative, but I would rather have professors with an open door policy that allows me to ask questions and receive answers asap.
  3. Exams are board style, approximately every 4 weeks covering all subjects in one sitting.
  4. Location. I currently live in Southern California and would prefer to stay in the Southwest. By the time I was accepted to SOMA my top CHC choices were already taken. Even if they weren’t, having to relocate after 1 year would suck. Plus I really enjoy Las Vegas; granted living there will be much different than the usual weakened getaways. However, there is a lot to do besides the strip.
  5. Have the option to stay in the Las Vegas area for all 4 years. I’m sure I will bounce around to other locations for audition rotations during my 4th year, but it’s nice to know moving isn’t required, which isn’t the case for a lot of DO programs.
  6. Everyone speaks about how important the clinical years are. I have had some problems getting feedback from recent students, but I have heard positive things such as getting lots of hand on exposure because there aren’t other medical schools in the area.

Accepted off waitlist today! First acceptance so I am beyond excited. Interviewed 2/26. sGPA/cGPA 3.3 MCAT 27 (8/10/9).