Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Know a lot of people who went here and loved it. Does anyone have a list of where rotations can be done from?

Man, what a lamented thread; not sure why, this school is at the top of my list. Have any of you people who will read this but not comment received the secondary yet? If so, please post for all to enjoy. Gracias.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Hawks, I applied back on the day when submitting your primary application first opened (june 1st) and still haven't heard back from them, so I'm guessing, since we haven't heard anything else, that we are waiting on them currently. Here's hoping they get on it asap. I'll give you the heads up when I get an email about the secondary.

Nope, haven't received the secondary and applied early June as well!
Man, what a lamented thread; not sure why, this school is at the top of my list. Have any of you people who will read this but not comment received the secondary yet? If so, please post for all to enjoy. Gracias.

Nope, haven't received the secondary and applied early June as well!
Kinda glad to hear that someone else is in the same boat DrPibble, I was kinda worried there for a second. I'll keep you guys updated and let you know as soon as I hear anything.

#1 school for me, glad to see secondaries have't been sent out yet, thought I might not be in the cool kids club. 3.3/3.28/26 (9/9/8) retaking, do I have a shot here?

#1 school for me, glad to see secondaries have't been sent out yet, thought I might not be in the cool kids club. 3.3/3.28/26 (9/9/8) retaking, do I have a shot here?
To give you an idea, my stats are: 3.68/3.6/26 (10/7/9), with awards, research, a publication, teaching/hospital experience. I applied late, was interviewed in April, and am actually in the 2nd standby position, meaning that I could start this fall (like a ,<1% chance of that happening) or will start in the fall of 2015 (assuredly will happen). Just nail your secondary and get it in early and I think you'll, at least, get an interview.

To give you an idea, my stats are: 3.68/3.6/26 (10/7/9), with awards, research, a publication, teaching/hospital experience. I applied late, was interviewed in April, and am actually in the 2nd standby position, meaning that I could start this fall (like a ,<1% chance of that happening) or will start in the fall of 2015 (assuredly will happen). Just nail your secondary and get it in early and I think you'll, at least, get an interview.
Well your gpa is significantly better than mine but I will be sending in the secondary as soon as I get it (which should be soon because I'm already verified), so hopefully that'll work in my favor. I have good ECs but no publication. Some schools look for a desire to serve the under served, others look for people that can teach themselves, what would you say tuncom is looking for?

Reactions: 1 user
Well your gpa is significantly better than mine but I will be sending in the secondary as soon as I get it (which should be soon because I'm already verified), so hopefully that'll work in my favor. I have good ECs but no publication. Some schools look for a desire to serve the under served, others look for people that can teach themselves, what would you say tuncom is looking for?
I like where your head is at, already thinking ahead :thumbup:. Of course you know that they will, just like any other medical school, ask you why you are interested in their school specifically. My suggestion is to be honest. When I was interviewed, I emphasized that I was drawn to the school because of their dedication to service to the community through medical clinics, outreaches, etc, in addition to how close the campus community is. I don't necessarily think they're looking for one answer, but rather they want to get to know you as a person. They want to see what your thoughts are and where your heart is, so just speak from there. Also, make sure that you address your weaknesses in a positive manner when they ask about them through your portfolio, such as what you learned from it, how you improved, and how you intend to do better in school. Stay positive and stay calm and you'll stand out.

Hey all! Applying here, my wife's first choice (no, she's not a student, we both just love this area). Didn't submit application until 7/10 sure to finances, think I still have a shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Applying here, my wife's first choice (no, she's not a student, we both just love this area). Didn't submit application until 7/10 sure to finances, think I still have a shot?
I am pretty sure secondaries haven't even been sent so I think you are fine

Has anyone received the secondaries for this school?

Looks like they started getting the secondary as early as July 1st last year and there wasn't any essays (according to last years thread). I hope they start sending them out soon.

Delay is very likely because of the new online application system they have I think.

"....Please note that we will formally start the first stage of the review process starting on August 11, 2014. Please anticipate four to six weeks for the review process. We will inform you through email if you advance to the next stage of the admissions process......."

"....Please note that we will formally start the first stage of the review process starting on August 11, 2014. Please anticipate four to six weeks for the review process. We will inform you through email if you advance to the next stage of the admissions process......."

First I was confused. Then I lol'ed.

Got the secondary here too. Now the question is am I supposed to make a duplicate account since I already applied to TUCCOM? When I go to my dashboard I don't know how to create a new application to TUN...

Reactions: 1 users
Got the secondary here too. Now the question is am I supposed to make a duplicate account since I already applied to TUCCOM? When I go to my dashboard I don't know how to create a new application to TUN...

I just made a new account, since it looks like you can only submit one app per account. You can use the same email address to register - it'll give you a warning about a duplicate account but you can ignore it, and you get a different login PIN.

so it looks like there are not any formal essay prompts minus the Extracurricular activities or hobbies, Health professions or shadowing experience, research, and volunteer experience pieces!

$100..............................

Do we need to upload a resume or is it only for undergraduate applicants? Thanks.

Do we need to upload a resume or is it only for undergraduate applicants? Thanks.

It says "optional for undergraduate applicants", which seems to imply it's required for everyone else. I uploaded one.

Does TUNCOM require LOR to be sent prior to receiving an interview invite?

Does TUNCOM require LOR to be sent prior to receiving an interview invite?
Pretty much everyone does unless you are located in: Erie/SH, Bradenton, or Ft. Lauderdale.

so it looks like there are not any formal essay prompts minus the Extracurricular activities or hobbies, Health professions or shadowing experience, research, and volunteer experience pieces!

Where does it allow you to enter these experiences? I used the link provided in the secondary invitation email and that application didn't include any of that. It does state "
Applications for the following programs cannot be submitted through this application system:
  • Physician Assistant
  • Occupational Therapy*
  • Physical Therapy
  • College of Pharmacy
  • College of Medicine "
However this is the application link they provided in the email so.... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Where does it allow you to enter these experiences? I used the link provided in the secondary invitation email and that application didn't include any of that. It does state "
Applications for the following programs cannot be submitted through this application system:
  • Physician Assistant
  • Occupational Therapy*
  • Physical Therapy
  • College of Pharmacy
  • College of Medicine "
However this is the application link they provided in the email so.... Any ideas?
Touro California stated the same thing, I just filled out what was asked in the application. I think it is to prevent people from applying who haven't received a secondary invite.

If you scroll down on the health sciences and professional page you will find an experience/awards section. I'm assuming everyone has to do this?

Got it, I see the experiences section now. Yes, I will complete that part as well.

For the experience part are you guys just listing, or also describing a bit about it?

Which location is everyone choosing? Harlem or Middletown? It doesn't say which area I applied for on AACOMAS.

Is it me or are there no questions aside from EC/Awards? I only see a technical standards link.

So i applied to touro CA, and now when i go to the secondary portal it wont let give me the option to do another one. Do i have to create another account?

So i applied to touro CA, and now when i go to the secondary portal it wont let give me the option to do another one. Do i have to create another account?

Yup, that's what I did. See my earlier post in the thread.

Are you guys answering the extracurriculars section in bullet point or paragraph/narrative form? It seems like listing is a better option for volunteer and work experiences.

Are you guys answering the extracurriculars section in bullet point or paragraph/narrative form? It seems like listing is a better option for volunteer and work experiences.
I did bullet points then a sentence describing it. Everything is in the AACOMAS application, so I figured there was no point in doing it again

I am from California and my sister is interested in applying to this school ,she has good GPA and 28 MCAT ,however she has heard from some friends that since she is Hispanic ,it will be almost impossible to get accepted here !. Have you guys heard anything to support this ?. I find it hard to believe that a minority run institution would be biased against another minority .But its a private institution and I guess whatever they want flies.

Why do they ask for a resume? Is the application not enough of a resume? -___-