Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing in March. Any tips? I know they use a traditional format.
Same...and same question. Also, I heard they try to tear you a new one if you haven't taken anatomy/phys. Can anyone elaborate on that/how they addressed that?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same...and same question. Also, I heard they try to tear you a new one if you haven't taken anatomy/phys. Can anyone elaborate on that/how they addressed that?

I think your interview experience really depends on the interviewer. Mine was straight forward but they grilled me really hard about my grades (I had a good cop bad cop type). Some people told me their interviewers were really chill.

For me, the biggest struggle was that the interview was really short (around 30 minutes). So the biggest tip I have is to be concise! Sometimes, when they catch me off guard, I can see myself talking too much and that really eats into your time. It is open file, so whatever you put in there, be prepared to explain it.

Good luck!

II today, not sure if i should go since i already have acceptance to touro middletown and lecom B. Is there any pros to attend this interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
No pros. Give up your seat to someone who needs it.

II today, not sure if i should go since i already have acceptance to touro middletown and lecom B. Is there any pros to attend this interview?

What you should ask yourself is if you were accepted here as well as Middletown and Lecom, where will you want to go? If you really want to go to this school, then the pro is that you get a chance by interviewing. But it it is lower on your list compared to Touro Middletown and Lecom, then there is no pro. You will be wasting your time and money with travel and hotel. You will also be wasting the school's time and taking up a potential spot for someone who might really want to interview here and go here.

So it really depends on you. If you really want to go to this school, you should interview! :)

Last edited:
Just declined my II, good luck everyone!

Interviewed 1/25, Accepted 2/2

For those of you waiting on waitlist, don't be discouraged!!!!! Placed on waitlist last year in March and was accepted August 15. Just be patient and try not to go crazy in the process. I know it's easier said than done but you guys can do it!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Starting to get a little bit nervous with this one... I got the "final review" email in early Jan and still haven't heard back. I really hope I get an interview here.

Starting to get a little bit nervous with this one... I got the "final review" email in early Jan and still haven't heard back. I really hope I get an interview here.

It took me exactly a ONE MONTH (30 days), before getting an interview, and after the final review email. So it should be comming soon! Good Luck, I gave up my interview spot recently, so hope it goes to you!

It took me exactly a ONE MONTH (30 days), before getting an interview, and after the final review email. So it should be comming soon! Good Luck, I gave up my interview spot recently, so hope it goes to you!

Awesome, thanks!!

I'm interviewing tomorrow at noon. I'm a bit confused because I'm not sure if the interview consists of additional components. The email stated:

"Please expect to stay for the full time as you will be given a presentation by the DO Advisor, Financial Aid, and the Dean of the program. You will also receive a tour of the campus and a Q&A session with current DO students.

Your interview will be 20 minutes with two members of the faculty."

That sounds simple enough but recent interviewees have also said that there's a writing part as well as a group project.

Will anybody who recently interviewed comment on this and clarify what to expect, please?

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I'll be flying in very early tomorrow morning - is there anybody else who is interviewing tomorrow?

I'm interviewing tomorrow at noon. I'm a bit confused because I'm not sure if the interview consists of additional components. The email stated:

"Please expect to stay for the full time as you will be given a presentation by the DO Advisor, Financial Aid, and the Dean of the program. You will also receive a tour of the campus and a Q&A session with current DO students.

That sounds simple enough but recent interviewees have also said that there's a writing part as well as a group project.

Will anybody who recently interviewed comment on this and clarify what to expect, please?

It's exactly what the email states. Just one 20 minute interview. However, I interviewed back in November so they might have added some additional components.

I'd like more input on this, as well. I interview Feb 22 and would be pretty thrilled if we got to write something right there and participate in a group project. Extra opportunities to shine.

Last edited:
Only real opportunity to express yourself is in the beginning when you introduce yourself and during your interview.

I posted a little about the school a little bit ago but feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know.

Hi! I was wondering if you can give some insight into board preparation. Does the school do anything in particular to prepare us for the board. During my interview at CUSOM, they said their exams are written like the board exams and they have exams after break to make sure they are studying for the boards. I know that they also have a mock exam I believe where if you do not pass, you are required to take a prep class before taking your boards. I know if sounds like holding your hand but I think it is also nice to know that there are resources available at the school to prepare us for the boards. Just wanted to see how TUNCOM prepares the students. Thank you!

Why is the name of the Facebook group "Southern Nevada Medical Students 2020"? It is not intuitive to find. Why couldn't it have just been Touro Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine 2020 or TUNCOM. I feel like this is why people aren't joining the FB group, because unless you are on SDN there is no way to have known the name of the group.

Why is the name of the Facebook group "Southern Nevada Medical Students 2020"? It is not intuitive to find. Why couldn't it have just been Touro Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine 2020 or TUNCOM. I feel like this is why people aren't joining the FB group, because unless you are on SDN there is no way to have known the name of the group.

My guess is to be a little more discrete? Anyways, the second year student rep emailed all accepted students the FB link directly (in Jan).

Because it is a private group that is started by the Student director of admissions and it only has students in it. No Touro in the name means no Touro staff in the group.

Just interviewed here Feb 9th but received an acceptance from AZCOM (interviewed Jan 27) with a deposit due March 1st. Supposedly we'll hear back by the 24th. Would it be too much to bring this to the attention of the admissions committee so I can know sooner and decide accordingly?

Just interviewed here Feb 9th but received an acceptance from AZCOM (interviewed Jan 27) with a deposit due March 1st. Supposedly we'll hear back by the 24th. Would it be too much to bring this to the attention of the admissions committee so I can know sooner and decide accordingly?

I wouldn't. It would sound like you are impatient.

You could ask AZCOM if they will allow a later date for the deposit. LECOM delayed my deposit. If they say no then at least you tried. Asking for a faster turn around for a decision could backfire.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Hey SDN peeps, if you're going to be in town on Sunday for your Monday interview, PM me if you'd like to check Henderson out with someone. I'd like to go check out the Hoover Dam to take some dam pictures, visit the dam gift shop, and maybe get some damn bait. *vegas vacation reference*

Has anyone heard back from the 2/9 interview date? They said before feb 24 but the wait is killing me, I really want to go here but I feel like since it's taken so long they already sent out the first batch of acceptances and my fate is for the wait list..

Has anyone heard back from the 2/9 interview date? They said before feb 24 but the wait is killing me, I really want to go here but I feel like since it's taken so long they already sent out the first batch of acceptances and my fate is for the wait list..
Nope, I interviewed with you but no response as of yet either.

Interviewed 2/9, waitlisted today. I felt the interview was a really off day for me so I'm not surprised, but it stills sucks. I have another acceptance so I'm not too bummed out but it would have been nice to be close to family!

Interviewed 2/9 and received an acceptance email today!!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 2/9 and accepted via email today!!! Congrats all! :) To those rejected or waitlisted, don't worry. This was my third cycle, so if you really want something, keep improving yourself and don't give up!

Reactions: 6 users
I received the email saying I was put on the interview waitlist at 10:00pm last night. I thought that was odd. Maybe somebody was working late. On a Sunday.

I got into my 1st choice state school and will be withdrawing my II to this school..hope it goes to one of you

I received the email saying I was put on the interview waitlist at 10:00pm last night. I thought that was odd. Maybe somebody was working late. On a Sunday.

Yeah I got that email too. Weird.

Got the interview waitlist email. Is there any chance still of getting an interview?

any idea how long the wait list is for TUNCOM? just trying to gauge the chances of being given an acceptance from there

also, sorry guys noob on these forums (kinda)... whats a II? interview invite?

any idea how long the wait list is for TUNCOM? just trying to gauge the chances of being given an acceptance from there

Yup II is an interview invite

I'm not too sure but my best advice would be to not be too optimistic if you're given a wait list spot. I wouldn't give up other interviews, for instance, if they end up wait listing you.

What I can tell you is chances are pretty good that you will be accepted post interview generally speaking. TUN interviews 500 applicants for 135 seats this year and that makes your chances seem small but in reality a lot of those interviewed probably just declined the acceptance.

I'm not too sure but my best advice would be to not be too optimistic if you're given a wait list spot. I wouldn't give up other interviews, for instance, if they end up wait listing you.

What I can tell you is chances are pretty good that you will be accepted post interview generally speaking. TUN interviews 500 applicants for 135 seats this year and that makes your chances seem small but in reality a lot of those interviewed probably just declined the acceptance.

yeah, i getcha. thanks

and just to clarify, on your second note, since you brought up others declining acceptances, do you mean that chances are good that you'd be accepted off of the wait list?

yeah, i getcha. thanks

and just to clarify, on your second note, since you brought up others declining acceptances, do you mean that chances are good that you'd be accepted off of the wait list?
Every school can send post interview rejections.

Last edited:

Last edited:
yeah, i getcha. thanks

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he means. Keep hope alive

5 or so people were accepted the week before class for the 2019 class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just declined an II here as well, hope it goes to someone in need!

Woo hoo! I got an II!

Anyone else interviewing on March 7th?

Last edited:
Placed on the wait list today. I really like Henderson and the school so I have no problem holding out. Hopefully we can hear something in the next 2-3 months. Good luck to everyone.

Just received acceptance email today! Interviewed 2/22 :)

Reactions: 4 users
anyone else receive an email about attending TUN's DO Day in April? Wondering if anyone on the wait list is planning on attending??

anyone else receive an email about attending TUN's DO Day in April? Wondering if anyone on the wait list is planning on attending??
Does attending stuff like this actually help if you're on the Waitlist? I hate to sound like a whiner but that doesn't seem fair for those who can't afford to travel there again/take time off work to visit again.

Does attending stuff like this actually help if you're on the Waitlist? I hate to sound like a whiner but that doesn't seem fair for those who can't afford to travel there again/take time off work to visit again.
That's what I'm wondering too. Obviously they are not just going to make a decision based solely on if you are there or not, but I thought that maybe it's a good way to let them know that you are still interested? On the other hand, the day seems like its more focused on those who haven't already applied, so that's just why I was wondering if other current applicants will be attending