Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had to call a dozen times, but was finally able to get through to schedule the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on all the IIs! For those of you who got one, how long since getting the 'app under review' email did you receive the invitation?

Congrats on all the IIs! For those of you who got one, how long since getting the 'app under review' email did you receive the invitation?
i received the email Aug 20 and then II 6 days later

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to get through today and schedule my interview. This is my third one and neither have lead to acceptances so hopefully third time is the charm.

Reactions: 1 users
for those of you who have II, what are you stats? just out of curiousity

Reactions: 1 user
I was able to get through today and schedule my interview. This is my third one and neither have lead to acceptances so hopefully third time is the charm.

Rejections or just silence? Silence is not a bad thing, it's still pretty early on the cycle.

Rejections or just silence? Silence is not a bad thing, it's still pretty early on the cycle.

1 waitlist and 1 rejection. The feedback I've gotten is very helpful. I need to clarify why I want to be a doctor and I seemed nervous so those are things to work on.

for those of you who have II, what are you stats? just out of curiousity

3.7 CGPA, 3.6 SGPA, 505 MCAT, CA resident. Unique ECs (so unique I might dox myself by stating them).
I submitted the secondary within 2 days.

Finally scheduled for October 12. The same phone number that gave the interview full/waitlist information no longer has that voicemail. Took a few calls to get in. Best of luck everyone!

Finally scheduled for October 12. The same phone number that gave the interview full/waitlist information no longer has that voicemail. Took a few calls to get in. Best of luck everyone!

Morning or afternoon?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we know if our application is considered complete? Did they ever send out a complete email? I only received the "your application is under review" email

How do we know if our application is considered complete? Did they ever send out a complete email? I only received the "your application is under review" email

"Dear Tuvix -

Your application is currently under review. Please anticipate four weeks for the review process prior to receiving official notification of the next admissions decision. You will be notified through email if you areeliminated or are invited for a campus interview. You do not need to call or email the department for any other status checks. We will contact you within a month from this email."

Got this then got an II 4 days laters. You are complete.

3.7 CGPA, 3.6 SGPA, 505 MCAT, CA resident. Unique ECs (so unique I might dox myself by stating them).
I submitted the secondary within 2 days.

Interesting, rejected yesterday. my stats: 3.7 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa (with all A's in prereqs)..all at a 4 year-university (No community college), 504 MCAT, North Carolina Resident.. 400+ hours as an EMT, 160 hours as a quality and patient safety internship at a major hospital, 55 volunteer tutor hours...

Hmm..does this school have a regional preference? Not too bummed because this school was to expand the "net."

Last edited:
Interesting, rejected yesterday. my stats: 3.7 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa (with all A's in prereqs)..all at a 4 year-university (No community college), 504 MCAT, North Carolina Resident.. 400+ hours as an EMT, 160 hours as a quality and patient safety internship at a major hospital, 55 volunteer tutor hours...

Hmm..does this school have a regional preference? Not too bummed because this school was to expand the "net."

Weird. Your stats are great for this school I think. But you never know. People forget that they are looking at more than numbers. Maybe they didn't see you as a good fit because of something you said in your essays. You just never know. The process is unfair. No way around that.

I did get a 25 on the MCAT back in November, and the 504 (27-28, 15% cumulative improvement over Nov MCAT) was unbalanced with equivalent of 7 in verbal and 11 in physical science. So def some weak points. Have an interview at KCOM so far (which is at the top of my school list anyways). Only surprised they didn't give me the silent treatment for a little longer. My guess is North Carolina resident + unbalanced MCAT. + below avg MCAT attempt for this school. No other weaknesses... I have committee a LOR, M.D LOR, D.O LOR, 2 Science prof LOR, and 2 non-science prof LOR. ECs are probably below average in terms of volunteer experience, but above average in clinical experience (full time EMT + unique internship with quality and patient safety - a vital component to healthcare today). Hopefully the rest of you fair better :)

It is possible a lack of interest could be seen in the essays. Not exactly thrilled to move to Nevada :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Best of luck with the application season guys! I'm a OMS-II here at TUN if anyone has questions about the school, area, workload, etc. shoot them over and I'll do the best to answer them as honestly and quickly as possible. Again, best of luck!

II today!! :) Got the invite 2 weeks after the review email.

Interview here today also! :) It's been a few weeks. Got a lot of interviews scheduled but just got rejected post-interview from DMU and AZCOM already with a 3.5 GPA/31MCAT.... interviews were really well prepared for and I had pretty well thought out answers for "why med," "why DO" so.....not sure how to improve for these upcoming IIs & freaking out a little........

Reactions: 2 users
II today as well! A border state so I am really excited to see the school! LizzyM 61 also!

If anyone is scheduling interview today, do you mind posting the available dates? Our clinic is swamped

Best of luck with the application season guys! I'm a OMS-II here at TUN if anyone has questions about the school, area, workload, etc. shoot them over and I'll do the best to answer them as honestly and quickly as possible. Again, best of luck!

Could you do a post with general impressions of the school, curriculum, faculty, where OMS-IIIs rotate etc...

II today!! Second one! 3.36/3.21/33(9PS/10VR/14BS) OOS
It's been about 2 weeks since the "under review" email.
Scheduled for 10/12 afternoon session, the only days available were 9/30 in the morning (I have another II then) and 10/12 in the afternoon

II today as well, but I want to wait to schedule it.

Any idea how far out the dates were offered?

Did anyone keep calling the office or have the office call back? I work the next two days and 9/30 would be a perfect day for me to interview. Also what time does interview day start does anyone know?

congrats to those of you who got your II today!
When were you guys complete?? I got the complete email on 8/27 but I haven't heard anything yet

congrats to those of you who got your II today!
When were you guys complete?? I got the complete email on 8/27 but I haven't heard anything yet

I got the complete email 8/28, though I was really complete before that but there was an issue with one of my LORs not going through haha

Woohoo! First II today!! :)

There are some highly qualified people interviewing at TUNCOM. I see this as evidence DO is getting more and more competitive.

Interview here today also! :) It's been a few weeks. Got a lot of interviews scheduled but just got rejected post-interview from DMU and AZCOM already with a 3.5 GPA/31MCAT.... interviews were really well prepared for and I had pretty well thought out answers for "why med," "why DO" so.....not sure how to improve for these upcoming IIs & freaking out a little........

Did you email admissions or your interviewers for feedback?

Did you email admissions or your interviewers for feedback?
Do they usually respond? I think I will call tomorrow.

Update - Thanks for making this suggestion. Apparently one rejection was due to a poor interview. answers were not straightforward and appearance was nervous. :-/

Last edited:
How long did it take to receive an "application complete" email after submitting your secondary?

How rigorous is the testing schedule? Weekly tests? Are the classes all pass/fail?

So um, I got an email saying that I won't be sent a secondary because I dont meet their requirements. They attached a link with the requirements and I meet all of them (over 3.0 and over 500 MCAT). What gives? Who can i contact about this and could this be a mistake?

Last edited:
So um, I got an email saying that I won't be sent a secondary because I dont meet their requirements. They attached a link with the requirements and I meet all of them (over 3.0 and over 500 MCAT). What gives? Who can i contact about this and could this be a mistake?

Yes you should contact TUNCOM. You want to email the admissions office directly to let them know an error was possibly made.

Email : [email protected]

Just a heads up. Touro Nevada will be closed for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, until Wednesday September 16.

I recall TUNCOM being the only school on AACOMAS that said they require all pre-reqs to be completed in order to be considered for a secondary. All other schools just required pre-reqs to be completed prior to matriculation if accepted. Not sure if this applies to you, but seems like it'd be the only logical explanation, other than them making a mistake.

I recall TUNCOM being the only school on AACOMAS that said they require all pre-reqs to be completed in order to be considered for a secondary. All other schools just required pre-reqs to be completed prior to matriculation if accepted. Not sure if this applies to you, but seems like it'd be the only logical explanation, other than them making a mistake.
thanks for the reply but all my pre-reqs are completed

Just in case you haven't heard back from them about this yet:

I received the same email earlier this summer and found out it was because they never received my mcat scores so I re-sent them and got an secondary a few days after! And received an II a few weeks after that

Could you do a post with general impressions of the school, curriculum, faculty, where OMS-IIIs rotate etc...

I would like this as well. I have talked to some OMS-IV's who were on rotations with a DO I shadowed, but I kind of would like some more impressions too @HopefulDr44 if you're able to.

Just in case you haven't heard back from them about this yet:

I received the same email earlier this summer and found out it was because they never received my mcat scores so I re-sent them and got an secondary a few days after! And received an II a few weeks after that
that's awesome. my advisor thinks that might be the issue also because its been a problem w AACOMAS it seems. who did you contact?

that's awesome. my advisor thinks that might be the issue also because its been a problem w AACOMAS it seems. who did you contact?
As far as AACOMAS, I didn't contact anyone I just went to aamc and resent my MCAT scores. You can check if it's actually your MCAT scores missing by viewing your aacomas application pdf. When I looked at it for mine, it only listed my unofficial MCAT scores rather than saying they were my official scores.Hope that helps!