Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as AACOMAS, I didn't contact anyone I just went to aamc and resent my MCAT scores. You can check if it's actually your MCAT scores missing by viewing your aacomas application pdf. When I looked at it for mine, it only listed my unofficial MCAT scores rather than saying they were my official scores.Hope that helps!

Are you 100% sure about this? Because I've gotten an acceptance (at another school) and I just double checked my AACOMAS app for that school and it has unofficial listed. Might contact TouroNV about this and just double check I guess.

EDIT: Void, my official MCAT scores are there. I saved early copies of each school's PDF before it was verified so they weren't there.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know which GPA should be listed? transcript gpa or aacomas gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm but AACOMAS doesn't separate GPA by school do they?
I took summer classes at other colleges and everything is intertwined...

Anyone try to submit their secondary with a fee waiver? The application instructions say select check and they'll verify but the application only has enter fee waiver code or pay by credit card. :(. Thanks!

Anyone try to submit their secondary with a fee waiver? The application instructions say select check and they'll verify but the application only has enter fee waiver code or pay by credit card. :(. Thanks!
You have to email them for a code... Or that's what I did

Are you 100% sure about this? Because I've gotten an acceptance (at another school) and I just double checked my AACOMAS app for that school and it has unofficial listed. Might contact TouroNV about this and just double check I guess.

EDIT: Void, my official MCAT scores are there. I saved early copies of each school's PDF before it was verified so they weren't there.

Yeah regardless I would just send the admissions an email! When I emailed them about it, they were good about replying and letting me know that it was because of my mcat scores. Congrats on your other acceptance though!

For reference, I called to check available interview dates, and the latest being scheduled currently is 11/2.

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted primary here... ~65 LizzyM and decent EC with good LOR. OOS...chances for II?

It's been almost 4 weeks since I received the application in review email and still no word on a II. Should I call or email them asking about my status? I have average stats but good ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
Have gotten secondaries to TUCOM-CA, TUNCOM, and now TOUROCOM-NY, I've previously submitted secondaries for the other 2.. On the Touro site but not in any of the school's application instructions, it says

"Applicants wishing to apply to more than one of our programs (except for dual-degree programs) must complete a SEPARATE application for each program. In subsequent applications, please indicate that you have previously applied when asked."

Do we have to indicate "previously applied"? I take that as a "I previously applied to med school in another cycle" not I'm applying to several Touro institutations at the same time.

Thanks guys!

Why does it take so long? I was verified earlier this week and have only received NOVA's.

Why does it take so long? I was verified earlier this week and have only received NOVA's.
Lol the wait for nova is after you submit the secondary; you'll be waiting for weeks to hear back (2.5 months for me). Just wait a little longer (2 weeks) and you'll get the secondary requests.

For tuncom specifically it took ~5 weeks to get a secondary request since they prescreen apps.

For LOR, did anyone send in via interfolio? If so, did you say the writer would send in electronically and put the "fake" email that interfolio creates for each letter?

How many letters is too many? 5?

I got the secondary. How picky are they about having the LOR signed? One of my writers didn't sign the letter....

It's been almost 4 weeks since I received the application in review email and still no word on a II. Should I call or email them asking about my status? I have average stats but good ECs

Same situation here. Apparently, this friday will be the deadline for when to hear back so I'm getting kind of nervous but am not really expecting any good news lol.

Is the interview 20 minutes of answering questions AND asking questions?

Same situation here. Apparently, this friday will be the deadline for when to hear back so I'm getting kind of nervous but am not really expecting any good news lol.

What is this deadline that you're talking about??

What is this deadline that you're talking about??

In the complete email it says expect to hear back within 4 weeks.

Mine has been 4 weeks and I haven't heard back yet. I wouldn't take this 4 week thing too strictly tbh.

Submitted my secondary Sept 7th, still no complete email :/

It think that they are taking longer than usual this time of the month because there has been a lot of holidays in September... Until now, they had 4-5 days off just because of all the Jewish and the American holidays.. I think they are going to be closing the campus for 4 more days in September.,.. The admissions office is probably really backed up with all the applications, and the holidays.

It think that they are taking longer than usual this time of the month because there has been a lot of holidays in September... Until now, they had 4-5 days off just because of all the Jewish and the American holidays.. I think they are going to be closing the campus for 4 more days in September.,.. The admissions office is probably really backed up with all the applications, and the holidays.

Yes there will be another holiday today (campus closes at noon PST) and campus will be closed until Thursday. Also next week Monday and Tuesday is another holiday.

You're totally right! I completely forgot it was Rosh Hashana recently. That makes me feel better about the delay.

Does this school give out rejections after an interview or is it all acceptance/waitlist?

anybody hear back from nevada yet? Been complete for a while now and was told that I'd hear back today. The Jewish holiday season may have held them back. :(

anybody hear back from nevada yet? Been complete for a while now and was told that I'd hear back today. The Jewish holiday season may have held them back. :(

Yes, I got an II 2.5 weeks ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if Touro nevada is also high on 30-30+ mcats like cali? Also got complete email and wondering about their mcat preferences. thanks

As far as I know the mcat score average is not as high as CA or NY. It's more like 28.5.

If there are any current TUNCOM medical students that wouldn't mind answering a few questions (interview in a couple of days) I would really appreciate it! :)

Could you do a post with general impressions of the school, curriculum, faculty, where OMS-IIIs rotate etc...

Firstly sorry for such a delay (we had a test on Friday).
General impressions of the school: Friendly, inviting, cooperative, TUN feels much more like a family than a school
Curriculum: For the most part we have EXCELLENT faculty and I feel like our curriculum rivals and in many ways exceeds the education systems of other schools (agreed upon by friends in other medical schools, albeit reluctantly)
Faculty: They're always open and willing to work with you no matter what you're having trouble with
Where OMS-IIIs rotate: Most of OMS-III's rotate in the greater LV area however TUN is open to students rotating in other cities, even across the country, but you would be responsible for setting it up.

Hope this helps!

How rigorous is the testing schedule? Weekly tests? Are the classes all pass/fail?

We have a test every month that contains all of our classes on one test. 10 total tests a year (5/ semester) Some classes also have weekly or biweekly quizzes associated with them that make-up anywhere from 10-20% of your course grade. 90% of our classes are graded A/B/C/F which is pretty much just for your class ranking. To move on you must score a cumulative C grade or higher (at the end of each semester) in each course to move forward, so in actuality classes are quasi pass/fail.

I would like this as well. I have talked to some OMS-IV's who were on rotations with a DO I shadowed, but I kind of would like some more impressions too @HopefulDr44 if you're able to.
I posted a little about the school a little bit ago but feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know.

I posted a little about the school a little bit ago but feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know.

Okay, awesome, thank you. What's your favorite and least favorite part of the curriculum? What would you change?

I hear a lot of awesome things about this school, and I've been meaning to visit.

OMSI here. Glad to meet you all. I can try to answer some questions :)
@HopefulDr44: nice to see an OMSII here :-D

anyone having trouble scheduling their interview? I got an II last Monday, been calling them since Wednesday but only getting voicemail. I also left them 2 voicemails and have yet to get a call back

Campus is being closed for Jewish holidays. Try to call back again on Wednesday

How's the location of Nevada? Housing prices and general feel of the place?

@Poro Henderson is nice town and 15-20 minutes from the strip. Housing is good: the closer to school, the more expensive, but single bedroom can be <$900. Pretty much all apartment complexes are recently built, so they're pretty good :-D general vibe: good and peaceful :-D

been one month since i submitted secondary, never received complete email, i really like this school, and wanted to interview, but it maybe a silent rejection lol. Its okay atleast i have 6 other interviews!