Touro vs. NYCOM/UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Today's my last day to decide on whether I'm shelling out the 2k deposit on Touro-NY. Are NYCOM and UMDNJ head and shoulders above this school in every respect except location? I have strong ties to the NYC area and would love to be back. Is NYCOM close enough to NYC(along with clinical affiliates,etc.) to afford more or less the same premium as Touro? If I choose to go to Touro I would have very easy accommodation(rent,housing,food,etc.) in Queens thus cutting down on the total cost of attendance. Does Touro's cheaper COA give it a leg up as well? Where does UMDNJSOM stand amidst all this? I really need advice and suggestions as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

where do you live in queens? (because you can easily drive to NYCOM in old westbury). NYCOM/UMDNJ's clinical and residency affiliations are head and shoulders above Touro's without a doubt.

Hi,
Today's my last day to decide on whether I'm shelling out the 2k deposit on Touro-NY. Are NYCOM and UMDNJ head and shoulders above this school in every respect except location? I have strong ties to the NYC area and would love to be back. Is NYCOM close enough to NYC(along with clinical affiliates,etc.) to afford more or less the same premium as Touro? If I choose to go to Touro I would have very easy accommodation(rent,housing,food,etc.) in Queens thus cutting down on the total cost of attendance. Does Touro's cheaper COA give it a leg up as well? Where does UMDNJSOM stand amidst all this? I really need advice and suggestions as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

UMDNJ is better. Smaller class size and huge OPTI. NYCOM may have more total spots, but UMDNJs has enough spots to take care of its own. It also has thebetter name. NYCOM has turned into a factory, huge class sizes with a large amount of attrition. Touro is touro....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ. you get in state tuition, if you're able to get an nj state drivers license before you start. nycom has a huge class size and one of the highest attrition rates at a COM, although it has a very extablished OGME.

Hi,

I believe NYCOM and UMDNJ are better choices than Touro at this time. I think UMDNJ-SOM is on par with NYCOM. Go to NYCOM if you want to stay in New York. As a previous poster stated, where NYCOM is isn't that far from Queens.

UMDNJ. you get in state tuition, if you're able to get an nj state drivers license before you start.

I believe that has changed. OOS students can only get IS tuition beginning second year. :(

Hi,

Have you been accepted to NYCOM/UMDNJ? Do you have interviews? Are you waiting for a response post interview from them?
Remember that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I think all three schools will be able to get you a residency spot in NYC. Touro & NYCOM will be able to offer you a core clinical education in NY as well.

I don't know why/how it will be any different to schedule electives/audition rotations in an NYC hospital if you attend Touro or NYCOM vs UMDNJ. Perhaps someone else can educate me as well about this one.

"Where does UMDNJSOM stand amidst all this?"

Amidst all this, UMDNJ-SOM stands at 42 East Laurel Road, Stratford, NJ 08084-1354.

UMDNJ. you get in state tuition, if you're able to get an nj state drivers license before you start. nycom has a huge class size and one of the highest attrition rates at a COM, although it has a very extablished OGME.

Yes, but if I remember the new policy correctly, you need to have acquired the license before 12 months of starting at UMDNJ....

I believe that has changed. OOS students can only get IS tuition beginning second year. :(

Yes

Last edited:
So what did you go with. Umdnj is a great school, pretty clearly superior to touro OR nycom. Nycom is not the school it used to be (and touro and it are apparently combining logo's, which sort of undercuts nycoms opti claim to fame).

As for someone else's comment on how your school would affect your elective rotations, its minimal for sure. But having some recognition in the area does give you some minor preference (also its plain raiser to do electives in an area that your cores have to be in from a moving POV)

Cool, I'm in a similar bind at another school. Only get IS tuition 2nd year. So are you getting you car/license registered in NJ anyways though?

So what did you go with. Umdnj is a great school, pretty clearly superior to touro OR nycom. Nycom is not the school it used to be (and touro and it are apparently combining logo's, which sort of undercuts nycoms opti claim to fame).

As for someone else's comment on how your school would affect your elective rotations, its minimal for sure. But having some recognition in the area does give you some minor preference (also its plain raiser to do electives in an area that your cores have to be in from a moving POV)

On what level is the merger going to be?
Will there just be one brandname left after the merger? Or is it just a merger of rotation sites?

On what level is the merger going to be?
Will there just be one brandname left after the merger? Or is it just a merger of rotation sites?

NYCOM turns into NYITCOM

NYITCOM AND TOUROCOM both use NYCOMEC= new york colleges of osteopathic medicine educational consortium (for clinical sites)

NYCOM turns into NYITCOM

NYITCOM AND TOUROCOM both use NYCOMEC= new york colleges of osteopathic medicine educational consortium (for clinical sites)

Correct. Two different colleges with two (initially) seperate rotation sites, but there will be shared clinical affiliation. Which means shared pools to draw teaching faculty from and a shared pool of hospitals that play favorites. I think the assumption is shared rotation sites in time, but that's not official.

Members don't see this ad :)

I asked for another extension..Still waiting to hear back on if it'll be granted..I'm in such a bind! I already lost a 1000 dollars to KCUMB in holding my spot there.. I have yet to hear back from NYCOM(though I should be soon I think) post-interview and am at the very top of the waitlist at UMDNJSOM. UMDNJ must really be an awesome school if I was waitlisted with a 32R,3.6 GPA, strong ECs, and a good interview(informed that my interview went well by someone in the Administration itself). The problem is the admissions committee at UMDNJ probably won't pull from the waitlist until April.

I would feel absolutely awful losing 2k to Touro and 1.5k to NYCOM too! Between NYCOM and Touro is it a wash in terms of how good the school and clinical sites are now that they'll have the merger? Does NYCOM still have the better educational and clinical reputation? Based on my interview day at Touro it seems that many of the courses during the first two years will be offered as PBL and not lectures which to my impression would be a negative... I appreciate all replies! Thanks!

? Based on my interview day at Touro it seems that many of the courses during the first two years will be offered as PBL and not lectures which to my impression would be a negative... I appreciate all replies! Thanks!

Not PBL. All lectures are now streamed, and class time is more case base learning and quizing.(To my knowledge, this didn't apply to my class)

Cool, I'm in a similar bind at another school. Only get IS tuition 2nd year. So are you getting you car/license registered in NJ anyways though?

That's part of the requirement to get IS tuition for second year and beyond for UMDNJ. Still beats OOS tuition for all four years though ;)

That's part of the requirement to get IS tuition for second year and beyond for UMDNJ. Still beats OOS tuition for all four years though ;)

yeah man the hassle is definitely worth it to swap plates and license for the tuition break and then hopefully swap back when you return home for residency. who knows though maybe you'll stay and live it up on the jersey shore ha ha.

I asked for another extension..Still waiting to hear back on if it'll be granted..I'm in such a bind! I already lost a 1000 dollars to KCUMB in holding my spot there.. I have yet to hear back from NYCOM(though I should be soon I think) post-interview and am at the very top of the waitlist at UMDNJSOM. UMDNJ must really be an awesome school if I was waitlisted with a 32R,3.6 GPA, strong ECs, and a good interview(informed that my interview went well by someone in the Administration itself). The problem is the admissions committee at UMDNJ probably won't pull from the waitlist until April.

I would feel absolutely awful losing 2k to Touro and 1.5k to NYCOM too! Between NYCOM and Touro is it a wash in terms of how good the school and clinical sites are now that they'll have the merger? Does NYCOM still have the better educational and clinical reputation? Based on my interview day at Touro it seems that many of the courses during the first two years will be offered as PBL and not lectures which to my impression would be a negative... I appreciate all replies! Thanks!

Were you ranked #1 on the waitlist, or just "high waitlist"? Have you looked at last years UMDNJ's thread or talked to admissions to see how many were pulled off the wait list? I'd say don't send Touro or NYCOM your money and take the risk (!) of being pulled off the waitlist. There's always waitlist movement in April/May/June, and depending on your ranking you're basically in. I'm in the same boat with TouroNV- last year everyone from the high waitlist got acceptances and I'm banking it'll happen this year too.

Were you ranked #1 on the waitlist, or just "high waitlist"? Have you looked at last years UMDNJ's thread or talked to admissions to see how many were pulled off the wait list? I'd say don't send Touro or NYCOM your money and take the risk (!) of being pulled off the waitlist. There's always waitlist movement in April/May/June, and depending on your ranking you're basically in. I'm in the same boat with TouroNV- last year everyone from the high waitlist got acceptances and I'm banking it'll happen this year too.

Touro won't grant me another extension..:(Guess it's for the better in the end..I'm in one of the top percentiles at UMDNJ. I spoke with the administration again recently and was informed that I am at an excellent place on the waitlist and have a very good chance at getting in to the school at this point. Should I really take the chance and not even put down a deposit at NYCOM if I am accepted there? UMDNJ has such a LOW deposit...why did they have to go and waitlist me so that I could lose thousands by placing deposits at other schools??

That's my personal opinion. You already put a deposit down at KCUMB so you're going somewhere anyway in the 1% chance the waitlist doesn't move, right?

. Should I really take the chance and not even put down a deposit at NYCOM if I am accepted there? UMDNJ has such a LOW deposit...why did they have to go and waitlist me so that I could lose thousands by placing deposits at other schools??

Hey, if I were you. I'd rather be safe than sorry. While the odds are in your favor, do you really want to take the risk? Pick one school (Touro or NYCOM), pay the deposit, and sit comfortable while you wait to be pulled off UMDNJ's waitlist. Remember, nothing in life is a guarantee.

where do you live in queens? (because you can easily drive to NYCOM in old westbury). NYCOM/UMDNJ's clinical and residency affiliations are head and shoulders above Touro's without a doubt.

My family has an apt in Astoria. Would it really be possible to commute to NYCOM every day? I think I'd probably have to rent a place near the school if I'm accepted and decide to go there.. Why is their estimated cost of attendance so high? On interview day they had it at 81k a year! How much do people actually take out? I would want to take out the least amount of loans possible...

My family has an apt in Astoria. Would it really be possible to commute to NYCOM every day? I think I'd probably have to rent a place near the school if I'm accepted and decide to go there.. Why is their estimated cost of attendance so high? On interview day they had it at 81k a year! How much do people actually take out? I would want to take out the least amount of loans possible...

Map

45-60 minute drive + gas and car insurance...could be worth it to save money in rent...could make up for the tuition difference.

Map

45-60 minute drive + gas and car insurance...could be worth it to save money in rent...could make up for the tuition difference.

Ye but on the LIE you literally will lose 15-30 minutes in the morning commute due to traffice and likely tack on an extra 30-60 minutes in the evening. I've taken 90 minutes to do a 35 minute drive on the belt... and I would not go within a few miles of the LIE around rush hour.

Ye but on the LIE you literally will lose 15-30 minutes in the morning commute due to traffice and likely tack on an extra 30-60 minutes in the evening. I've taken 90 minutes to do a 35 minute drive on the belt... and I would not go within a few miles of the LIE around rush hour.

you're too generous my friend.

Agreed. I'm a long island native and being anywhere near the city in the morning or during rush hour is a mistake. More out east is no problem. West? Forget about it.