TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to this forum. This is my first post. I just got an in-person interview for Touro for May 8th. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the types of interview questions to expect. You can reply to me her or PM me. Also who did the interviewing for you if you went in person? I just want to wish everyone good luck. :) If you got in, Congratulations!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to this forum. This is my first post. I just got an in-person interview for Touro for May 8th. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the types of interview questions to expect. You can reply to me her or PM me. Also who did the interviewing for you if you went in person? I just want to wish everyone good luck. :) If you got in, Congratulations!!
Congrats! When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)

The interview is very laid back. Mine was only 15 minutes long as an in person interview. They want to get to know you and ask why D.O. They also ask to why medicine and the "tell me about yourself" question. Make sure you know your application too because they have it open in front if them. Did they tell you yesterday that you have an interview?

The interview is very laid back. Mine was only 15 minutes long as an in person interview. They want to get to know you and ask why D.O. They also ask to why medicine and the "tell me about yourself" question. Make sure you know your application too because they have it open in front if them. Did they tell you yesterday that you have an interview?
Thank you so much for the reply and the message! I got a phone call early Friday morning telling me that they would like to interview me. I couldn't come in this coming week so they asked if I would like to interview on the phone right away. I wasn't too comfortable with that since I wanted to prep my answers. Also I live in NY so coming in for an in person interview is not that much of a hassle. I'm hoping my interview is laid back but I will probably be preparing for a formal one. Thanks so much and good luck! Hope your acceptance comes in soon.

Thank you so much for the reply and the message! I got a phone call early Friday morning telling me that they would like to interview me. I couldn't come in this coming week so they asked if I would like to interview on the phone right away. I wasn't too comfortable with that since I wanted to prep my answers. Also I live in NY so coming in for an in person interview is not that much of a hassle. I'm hoping my interview is laid back but I will probably be preparing for a formal one. Thanks so much and good luck! Hope your acceptance comes in soon.
What were your stats?

I also was given a choice to interview right then on the phone and was soooo nervous because I hadn't really prepped yet!! Fortunately the interviewer wound up being too tied up to do it then and I was given the choice to come in at a later date. Definitely prep for the more formal interview and if it winds up being laid back, then great! Spring Break was over Friday.. Hopefully we'll hear something any day this week! I'm so tempted to call and find out when the committee is meeting this week, but I don't want to be a pest.. the suspense is killing meeee!!! :boom:

U
I also was given a choice to interview right then on the phone and was soooo nervous because I hadn't really prepped yet!! Fortunately the interviewer wound up being too tied up to do it then and I was given the choice to come in at a later date. Definitely prep for the more formal interview and if it winds up being laid back, then great! Spring Break was over Friday.. Hopefully we'll hear something any day this week! I'm so tempted to call and find out when the committee is meeting this week, but I don't want to be a pest.. the suspense is killing meeee!!! :boom:

UGH me too!

Hopefully we find out this week. I know they just finished accepting all the D.O. Program students and the rest are being placed on the wait list. So I think they will focus more in masters students now.

Reactions: 1 user
Do everyone receive an interview? I received one but my friend hasnt gotten a denial letter or an interview request yet and she was complete before me. So im just wondering if anyone knows?

Do everyone receive an interview? I received one but my friend hasnt gotten a denial letter or an interview request yet and she was complete before me. So im just wondering if anyone knows?

Last edited:
Just got an email from a professor scheduling an in-person interview. Yay!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they called for interview invites :O
It doesn't seem like anything is set in stone with Touro.. Snail mail, email, and phone calls are all fair game.

On a lighter note, when I went in for my interview a faculty member was talking to the receptionist and they were both trying to reach a potential applicant for a skype interview. I don't know if the person forgot about it or simply blew it off, but after several phone call attempts, the interviewer turns to me and said.. "Well, another spot just opened up! Good luck!" I was like :wideyed: I truly hope that guy had a damn good reason for standing up the interviewer!!

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and just received an invite for an interview via email, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with some tips. Please PM me or reply here any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you and take care.

I wonder.. how many applicants do they invite for an interview and how many of those interviewed do they accept?

I just got my acceptance letter!!!!! :) good luck to everyone!!!

I just got my acceptance letter!!!!! :) good luck to everyone!!!

OMG congrats! I've been checking my email every hour! When did you interview?

NVM.. I see that you interviewed on the 8th.. I interviewed on the 17th so it might be a while before I hear something :arghh:

Last edited:
I wonder.. how many applicants do they invite for an interview and how many of those interviewed do they accept?

I've heard that there are usually about 200 applicants.. but each class is only btw 70-80.. but my interviewer said that Prancan can expand the class by a few if they have an allstar group of applicants. That being said, she also told me that only about 30 are expected to make it into the DO class :wow: so they could stand to accept more than the usual 80..

I've heard that there are usually about 200 applicants.. but each class is only btw 70-80.. but my interviewer said that Prancan can expand the class by a few if they have an allstar group of applicants. That being said, she also told me that only about 30 are expected to make it into the DO class :wow: so they could stand to accept more than the usual 80..

According to what I heard everything you mentioned is correct except for the number of students who make it from the Masters program in to the DO program. When I interviewed two weeks ago, my interviewer told me that 85-90 percent of last year's class entered the DO program, not including the several students who went on into the PharmD program or the PT program at Touro. Of course getting the 3.5 will not be an easy ride, but from what I understand it is not a weed out situation.

According to what I heard everything you mentioned is correct except for the number of students who make it from the Masters program in to the DO program. When I interviewed two weeks ago, my interviewer told me that 85-90 percent of last year's class entered the DO program, not including the several students who went on into the PharmD program or the PT program at Touro. Of course getting the 3.5 will not be an easy ride, but from what I understand it is not a weed out situation.

how do they have that many extra seats for MS students to matriculate? what happens to the applicants on wait list? I hope they don't change their mind and be like, oh, you need this and this too, now.

but.. if you think about it, there's a better chance of getting a 3.5 during the master's than MS1.. so.. work hard and succeed then relax a bit the following year.

how do they have that many extra seats for MS students to matriculate? what happens to the applicants on wait list? I hope they don't change their mind and be like, oh, you need this and this too, now.

but.. if you think about it, there's a better chance of getting a 3.5 during the master's than MS1.. so.. work hard and succeed then relax a bit the following year.

Here is how my interviewer explained it to me:
There are a set number (I would surmise that this number is around 70, but I cannot confirm that) of seats in the masters program, and for EACH seat in the MS program a seat in the DO program is RESERVED (ie the seat in the DO class is yours to lose). If any masters student drops out or does not make the cut, the now vacant seat in the DO class goes to a DO applicant that has been wait-listed. The former MS alums make up quite a significant portion of the DO class. However the program is not weed out; the majority of the MS students will become DO students the following year, and apparently the school offers quite a bit of resources to the MS students to help them succeed. Again, this is what my interviewer told me two weeks ago, and other than that I cannot back up what I am saying.

Good luck everyone!!

Here is how my interviewer explained it to me:
There are a set number (I would surmise that this number is around 70, but I cannot confirm that) of seats in the masters program, and for EACH seat in the MS program a seat in the DO program is RESERVED (ie the seat in the DO class is yours to lose). If any masters student drops out or does not make the cut, the now vacant seat in the DO class goes to a DO applicant that has been wait-listed. The former MS alums make up quite a significant portion of the DO class. However the program is not weed out; the majority of the MS students will become DO students the following year, and apparently the school offers quite a bit of resources to the MS students to help them succeed. Again, this is what my interviewer told me two weeks ago, and other than that I cannot back up what I am saying.

Good luck everyone!!

Sounds good. Good luck to you!

I can't imagine why she'd say something untrue.. My eyes definitely got big and I questioned her further about it, but her number didn't change.. I guess it's possible that she misspoke.. but I'm actually pretty sure that she said that this was the number that made it in last year. From my understanding getting the 3.5 is the hard part. If you can get a 3.5 you should be golden because they prepare you very well to pass the comprehensive though it's a FIRM pass.. having a 4.0GPA and getting a 69.99% on it won't even get you in.. Passing is 70 and that's all there is to it..

But hey, if she was lying and told me that number for nefarious reasons thats all the better for those of us who get in lol.. 30 out of 80 is really hard to swallow!

someone in the program now (wants to remain nameless), told me they reserve spots for everyone that has a 3.2 GPA or higher at the end of semester 1. For her class, that was 40 students, but she said there were "one or two kids who blow away second semester and make the cut and then their seats are given back." Basically she said by the end of her year they are expecting 35/40 to get into the DO program..thats probably why they are expecting "30." Also, her class started at ~79 students.

Last edited:

do e

I don't think they will change their mind. In the letter I revived you need to return a decision if you are going to the program or not. Right above your signature it says clearly that the two requirements expected of you to matriculated into the DO program the following year is a 3.5 GPA and a pass on the cumulative exam. So you sign and agree to those conditions. Hopefully more people will find out soon. I got my letter email at around 240pm hope that helps.

Hey for those who interviewed and got a decision, what was the duration between the interview and the decision?

Hey for those who interviewed and got a decision, what was the duration between the interview and the decision?

I had a phone interview on April 10th (my app was complete around March 20th), and I have heard nothing. I'm starting to take that as a soft rejection.

I had a phone interview on April 10th (my app was complete around March 20th), and I have heard nothing. I'm starting to take that as a soft rejection.
Don't think that way!! All was silent on the accept/reject front last week because of Spring Break. Everything thing is back to normal as of Monday. The poster "Tan" interviewed on Apr 9th and just got a decision yesterday!

Not sure if this is true.. But I heard if you get the interview that means they want you and think you have what it takes to do well in the program.. It's your job not to tank the interview!

I bet you'll hear something by Friday and if not then, next week! But seriously, don't get scared until June :)

I had my interview on April 8th and I heard back April 29th . I was complete around April 4. I had a lot of difficulty because they never received some of the paper work from me. They just finished spring break last week because of passover and are still trying to resolve the last applications for the D.O. Program so they are delayed.

Had my phone interview 2 days ago and my interviewer said one of four different outcomes could occur: 1-you get in :)
2- you don't get in :(
3- another phone interview
4-waitlisted

I feel the wait just never ends does it? haha keeping my fingers crossed :/

I was interviewed on April 10th and learned of my acceptance yesterday. Still contemplating if I can do NY however since there's just so much going on and I'm not too fond of the cold weather being from California. Anyone able to offer some advice about student life?

Had my phone interview 2 days ago and my interviewer said one of four different outcomes could occur: 1-you get in :)
2- you don't get in :(
3- another phone interview
4-waitlisted

I feel the wait just never ends does it? haha keeping my fingers crossed :/
Got the same speech.. I would be devastated if they asked to interview me AGAIN! Guess that's better than an outright rejection, but yikes.. I think I might limit myself to 2 email checks per day because I'm bordering on obsessive at this point! Not too good at following my own "chill out and wait" advice!!

Reactions: 1 users
I was interviewed on April 10th and learned of my acceptance yesterday. Still contemplating if I can do NY however since there's just so much going on and I'm not too fond of the cold weather being from California. Anyone able to offer some advice about student life?
A current student shared the first semester schedule with me:

Mondays: only go when there is an exam
Tuesdays: depending which group you're in...morning or afternoon: Group A morning-8-12pm; Group B afternoon: 1-5pm
Wednesdsays: no class
Thursdays: Group A 1-5pm; Group B 10-12pm, 3-5pm
Fridays: Group A 8-9am, 12-1pm; Group B 11-1pm

Other than that it seems like all other time is spent studying.. but it's NYC.. the weather sucks, but come on. Living in a 200 sq ft studio with a community bathroom and no kitchen for $4000 a month is a small price to pay for the glory that is being able to say you live here lol.. I kid, I kid..

Student body seemed awesome and super close-knit, faculty and students get along really well from what I could tell, and if you put in the work you'll be an excellent physician.. which is what we all care about obviously. They have trips abroad and a crapton of student clubs that Masters students can participate in fully.. so if they have enough time for med school AND heading up clubs/taking international trips.. student life must not be THAT bad..

Tuesdays: depending which group you're in...morning or afternoon: Group A morning-8-12pm; Group B afternoon: 1-5pm

Other than that it seems like all other time is spent studying.. but it's NYC.. the weather sucks, but come on. Living in a 200 sq ft studio with a community bathroom and no kitchen for $4000 a month is a small price to pay for the glory that is being able to say you live here lol.. I kid, I kid..

Student body seemed awesome and super close-knit, faculty and students get along really well from what I could tell, and if you put in the work you'll be an excellent physician.. which is what we all care about obviously. They have trips abroad and a crapton of student clubs that Masters students can participate in fully.. so if they have enough time for med school AND heading up clubs/taking international trips.. student life must not be THAT bad..
Thanks for all that. It does seem like a great opportunity, I think I'll try and reach out to some students... that seems like very little class time does it not? Is there a facebook group for those admitted yet?

Thanks for all that. It does seem like a great opportunity, I think I'll try and reach out to some students... that seems like very little class time does it not? Is there a facebook group for those admitted yet?
I think that all of the lectures are done on iTunes on your own time. Students are only expected to appear for labs and exams.

I think that all of the lectures are done on iTunes on your own time. Students are only expected to appear for labs and exams.

Negative.. attending lecture is mandatory. They do these "clicker" quizzes every class session that basically test you on whether or not you studied the material via itunes and it absolutely factors into your grade. Learned about that on my tour and the student I spoke with confirmed

Hi All!

Just finished an interview - how long on average does it take to find out?

Good luck to all of those applying!!

Did any of you sit in on a class during your interviews? My interviewer wanted me to sit in on a class before I met up with her.

Did any of you sit in on a class during your interviews? My interviewer wanted me to sit in on a class before I met up with her.

I did! I think it was pharm.. lol was only there for a short while, but the professor was really cool, cracking jokes, and making everyone laugh. I also was able to observe an OMM lab that was going on!

No facebook group yet, but there is a "Mentors and Mentees (M+M) Program - TCOM NYC/Harlem" group that some people who have been accepted this year into the Masters program have joined. The "Mentors" were Masters students, who are now in the DO class. Waiting for Masters class of 2015 fb group to pop up soon as well. Another helpful group to join is "NYC DO c/o 2018" which is made up of students accepted this year at Touro.

I agree, my phone interviewer definitely made it seem that all the students weren't just into studying but also into being involved in the community. PLUS you're in NYC. there is absolutely no way, there's nothing to do there haha.

Hi All!

Just finished an interview - how long on average does it take to find out?

Good luck to all of those applying!!
Usually it takes anywhere from a few days (in you are lucky) to about 3-4 weeks later at the latest. That has been the trend this year and also in the last few years.

Yeah I was taken to see a Step 1 review class that was being taught by the physiology professor. It was an outstanding lecture and the students even gave him an applause after the class was over.

Yeah I was taken to see a Step 1 review class that was being taught by the physiology professor. It was an outstanding lecture and the students even gave him an applause after the class was over.
That sounds amazing..