TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nice! i know this has been asked in this forum like...a kajillion times but what were questions asked at the interview? tell me about yourself? why osteopathic? why medicine? etc etc etc? anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

nice! i know this has been asked in this forum like...a kajillion times but what were questions asked at the interview? tell me about yourself? why osteopathic? why medicine? etc etc etc? anything else?
Yeah all those questions are good to know. Know your strengths and weaknesses in your application like either low mcat or low gpa. if asked be honest that you had problems but also demonstrate that you have or are working on those issues. Also be yourself, and don't have rehashed answers memorized. Place yourself into the answer so they see you are a person. They are looking for personable people which helped me out in the interview.

Hi peeps,

Those who were accepted ... does the master's program require an initial deposit at the time of acceptance?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi peeps,

Those who were accepted ... does the master's program require an initial deposit at the time of acceptance?

Thanks!
I didn't see any sort of deposit due or deadline to return the acceptance letter

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!:biglove::soexcited::highfive:

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!:biglove::soexcited::highfive:

Congrats! Did Lissette email you the acceptance letter? Because I called two days ago .. and she told me i was accepted ..and would email me the acceptance letter. but no email yet :( so getting quite anxious

Yeah, actually her email was labeled "Touro Response" and the first line read "Thank you for applying.." I saw that in my email preview and thought OMG I didn't get in! Then it went on to state that they were still accepting apps up until Apr 15. At first I was like what the crap is this!? Then I saw there was a letter attached that read Congratulations blah blah.. Lol

Are you guys doing the summer anatomy prep course?
Congrats! Did Lissette email you the acceptance letter? Because I called two days ago .. and she told me i was accepted ..and would email me the acceptance letter. but no email yet :( so getting quite anxious

Yeah, actually her email was labeled "Touro Response" and the first line read "Thank you for applying.." I saw that in my email preview and thought OMG I didn't get in! Then it went on to state that they were still accepting apps up until Apr 15. At first I was like what the crap is this!? Then I saw there was a letter attached that read Congratulations blah blah.. Lol

I am and just recently registered for it :)

I am taking the summer anatomy course. A lot of people have told me it helps so much for the beginning. I'm sending out my sigh up sheet soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Great I'll see you guys there! Definitely taking it.. It'll be fun trying to figure out who all the SDN'ers are lol

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to those accepted though!! :claps:

Last edited:
For those who are still waiting, I spoke to Lissette on Wednesday, and apparently, they're all over the place right now (makes sense due to the large influx of apps after spring break). They still have a lot of apps to go through, so keep the faith :)

congrats to those already accepted though!! :claps:
Yeah I remember that when I interviewed, Lissette answered the phone and someone was asking about the deadline. Apparently this year it was a month earlier than last year and many people were thrown off about this. So it became a mad dash to get the applications in.

I was just accepted yesterday. I am deciding between this program and LECOM's postbac. What do you guys think??
Advice would be particularly helpful from those who just finished.
Thanks!!

I was just accepted yesterday. I am deciding between this program and LECOM's postbac. What do you guys think??
Advice would be particularly helpful from those who just finished.
Thanks!!
I was accepted to booth as well. I think the thing to focus on is living in Lake Erie vs NYC. Also Lecom said in their letter you need a 3.0 but I heard rumors that students really need a 3.4 GPA to really solidify their acceptance to the DO program. Also it is graduate level classes (Lake Erie) vs medical school level classes (Touro). And Touro no longer cares about the mcat but LECOM wants at least a 23 overall mcat. Hope this helps

I was accepted to booth as well. I think the thing to focus on is living in Lake Erie vs NYC. Also Lecom said in their letter you need a 3.0 but I heard rumors that students really need a 3.4 GPA to really solidify their acceptance to the DO program. Also it is graduate level classes (Lake Erie) vs medical school level classes (Touro). And Touro no longer cares about the mcat but LECOM wants at least a 23 overall mcat. Hope this helps

For sure. Just judging from the threads on SDN it seems students are much happier at TouroCOM compared to LECOM. And choosing to live in Erie PA over in NYC would be heartbreaking lol. And I do love the fact that at touroCOM you take real med school classes. I'm definitely leaning towards Touro.
Did you make a decision yet?

For sure. Just judging from the threads on SDN it seems students are much happier at TouroCOM compared to LECOM. And choosing to live in Erie PA over in NYC would be heartbreaking lol. And I do love the fact that at touroCOM you take real med school classes. I'm definitely leaning towards Touro.
Did you make a decision yet?
Yeah I sent out my decision letter to Touro the following day after I got accepted lol.

I think LECOM is cheaper all the way around, but having to retake the MCAT would be a deal breaker for me. Blech! Does LECOM have an automatic acceptance provided that you meet the minimums or is it an automatic interview?

Also, aren't students required to dress professionally in shirts/ties to classes and labs?

I think LECOM is cheaper all the way around, but having to retake the MCAT would be a deal breaker for me. Blech! Does LECOM have an automatic acceptance provided that you meet the minimums or is it an automatic interview?

Also, aren't students required to dress professionally in shirts/ties to classes and labs?
I think it is an automatic interview with the school. I have heard that if you get a 3.4 or higher it is almost certain u get in. I know someone that goes there and yes there is a dress code.

The official LECOM policy is every post bac student is interviewed in the second semester and if you finish the program with 3.0 GPA you will *almost* certainly be accepted. You may have to move to one of the other campuses though (The florida or the seton hill campus). However from what I understand, the averages are quite low and only half of the postbac students make it into the DO class. This information comes directly from the school and from the LECOM thread on SDN. And they do require shirt and tie every day, which I don't love at all.

But on the whole, both programs are somewhat similar.

The required MCAT is 23 for LECOM, which I thought to be very low.

I am taking the summer anatomy course. A lot of people have told me it helps so much for the beginning. I'm sending out my sigh up sheet soon.

What is the deal with the summer prep course? I have heard nothing about this! Do you know the start date/how much it costs??
Thanks again!!

What is the deal with the summer prep course? I have heard nothing about this! Do you know the start date/how much it costs??
Thanks again!!

On the front page of the TouroCom site there's a link to "Summer Session Courses" http://legacy.touro.edu/med/courses_anatomy.html

All the students at Touro recommend it, especially for Masters students. It's basically an introduction to medical school style courses so you can get a jump start on not only anatomy, but with the way lectures are run at Touro, study skills, and other stuff that will help you out. Course starts June 30th ends about a month later just in time for the Masters start date in July.. classes are Mon-Thurs 8 to 3. You take exams and all that jazz, but none of it counts toward your grades.. its just so you see where you stand and how you're getting along with the material. $1000 bucks :/
Expensive.. but totally worth it from what I understand :)

Deadline to register for it is June 15, but from my understanding seats are limited. You don't need to have the money for the class right now, just $50 to register and you can pay later. If you've decided on Touro, sign up!

On the front page of the TouroCom site there's a link to "Summer Session Courses" http://legacy.touro.edu/med/courses_anatomy.html

All the students at Touro recommend it, especially for Masters students. It's basically an introduction to medical school style courses so you can get a jump start on not only anatomy, but with the way lectures are run at Touro, study skills, and other stuff that will help you out. Course starts June 30th ends about a month later just in time for the Masters start date in July.. classes are Mon-Thurs 8 to 3. You take exams and all that jazz, but none of it counts toward your grades.. its just so you see where you stand and how you're getting along with the material. $1000 bucks :/
Expensive.. but totally worth it from what I understand :)

Deadline to register for it is June 15, but from my understanding seats are limited. You don't need to have the money for the class right now, just $50 to register and you can pay later. If you've decided on Touro, sign up!

Awesome thanks! I will sign up for that this week for sure.

Just curious, where is everyone planning on living?

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from the school concerning financial aid?
Priority deadline is May 31, so just call the financial aid office to see if filing a fafsa is all you need to do. The school site outlines how much you get every year under cost of attendance.

has anyone been rejected after the interview or placed on the waitlist? i know...its such a morbid question to ask...i'm just wondering what the interview really means. is it like...do they want me? do they see me as potential? .... any thoughts?

has anyone been rejected after the interview or placed on the waitlist? i know...its such a morbid question to ask...i'm just wondering what the interview really means. is it like...do they want me? do they see me as potential? .... any thoughts?

Hey,

Yea I applied back in November pretty much when the cycle opened and I was placed on the waiting list =(. I called last week and they said that they are going to look at the applicants on the waiting list this week. Hopefully everyone on the waiting list gets good news!

Did you interview with them?

Hey,

Yea I applied back in November pretty much when the cycle opened and I was placed on the waiting list =(. I called last week and they said that they are going to look at the applicants on the waiting list this week. Hopefully everyone on the waiting list gets good news!

Did you interview with them?
Nope, I called up and spoke with Ms. Mercado and she said that I was placed on the waitlist. No interview and it's been that way for a little bit so I'm kinda assuming the worst =(

accepted!!!! just got the email from Ms.Mercado :) Now...what does everyone plan on doing for housing?? I live in Queens but most certainly am looking for a place closer to the school..

Reactions: 2 users
Hi peeps! So i got accepted (super excited!) .. and plan to move to manhattan by mid-July (im moving from Chicago). Would any girls be interested in sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in Upper West Side, Midtown West, or Chelsea?!

Reactions: 1 users
accepted!!!! just got the email from Ms.Mercado :) Now...what does everyone plan on doing for housing?? I live in Queens but most certainly am looking for a place closer to the school..
I am moving from Philadelphia back to my home in Queens. I think I will look for a place the following year. The commute is not too bad, and I will be saving a lot of money.

Hi peeps! So i got accepted (super excited!) .. and plan to move to manhattan by mid-July (im moving from Chicago). Would any girls be interested in sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in Upper West Side, Midtown West, or Chelsea?!

Congratulations guys!!!

There's
Is there a facebook group yet??
Lets do it!
the NYC DO and Mentor Mentee Facebook pages are pretty active.

Here's the link to the one all the incoming Touro students are in
https://www.facebook.com/groups/283172865163074/

Apparently all the Masters student get a mentor who used to be in the program :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/288594797944361/

For those taking the summer anatomy course did you get a look at the required/recommended book list?! 10 books!!! Sh!& just got real..

Last edited:
I was recently accepted here, I am just wondering if anyone has visited this school and what their thoughts are about the facilities and area? I had a phone interview so I never visited the school. I'm expecting an acceptance to LECOM post bacc too so I just wanted to compare the two and weigh the pros and cons. Any input will help

For those that have been accepted and sent in their acceptance response letter, have you heard anything from Touro yet. I sent mine in a while ago and I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything from the school yet.

For those that have been accepted and sent in their acceptance response letter, have you heard anything from Touro yet. I sent mine in a while ago and I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything from the school yet.
Haven't heard anything yet either

I spoke with Lissette weeks ago. She said that they will start sending out packets by the end of May.

Dont they review people who have interviewed every week or something of that sort?

Dont they review people who have interviewed every week or something of that sort?
From what I gather they do review people every week, but they don't send out the decision immediately. When I got my acceptance letter, it was dated the week before I received it. It takes usually up to 3 weeks after the interview to hear back.

Congrats to those who have been accepted! I interviewed May 8th and just found out yesterday that I got accepted into the MS program. I spoke with Lissette and she said the committee finished reviewing the first batch of applicants yesterday. So it's worth calling to check your status. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats to those who have been accepted! I interviewed May 8th and just found out yesterday that I got accepted into the MS program. I spoke with Lissette and she said the committee finished reviewing the first batch of applicants yesterday. So it's worth calling to check your status. Good luck to everyone!

I should add for those who haven't heard yet- don't think that you didn't get in. They're most likely still reviewing the applications. Stay optimistic and persistent!!

Just a sidenote, Lissette mentioned at the interview time that she likes to get out the rejections first and then acceptances.

They will still be sending out responses for the next 2 weeks, so keep hoping and don't worry!

Also, call her once after the interview like a week later to see how its progressing...she's very helpful. I got her answer today :)

Just a sidenote, Lissette mentioned at the interview time that she likes to get out the rejections first and then acceptances.

They will still be sending out responses for the next 2 weeks, so keep hoping and don't worry!

Also, call her once after the interview like a week later to see how its progressing...she's very helpful. I got her answer today :)

What time did you call up there? I've been calling this afternoon but no one is answering :(