TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not positive about this one but I would assume it's the same. Definitely consider emailing the director before registering for a class. She's really nice and quick with emails.

Thanks. Will do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone!

Quick question... I just went to send my MCAT scores to this program and it's not listed anywhere on MCAT THx... am I doing something wrong?

Hey Everyone!

Quick question... I just went to send my MCAT scores to this program and it's not listed anywhere on MCAT THx... am I doing something wrong?

Hello,

Below are the steps that I used to submit my scores:

1 - Log in into the MCAT THx system
2 - Select "Create and Print" (3rd option listed near the bottom of the page)
3 - Choose "Create"
4 - Click on "Retrieve your report"
5 - Save/Print the page as PDF file
6 - Email the PDF file to Ms. Beth Portnoy ([email protected])

I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Below are the steps that I used to submit my scores:

1 - Log in into the MCAT THx system
2 - Select "Create and Print" (3rd option listed near the bottom of the page)
3 - Choose "Create"
4 - Click on "Retrieve your report"
5 - Save/Print the page as PDF file
6 - Email the PDF file to Ms. Beth Portnoy ([email protected])

I hope this helps.

You are the BEST! Thanks so much for this!!!!

My science GPA is a 2.82 and over all a 3.2
Got an MCAT score in a 21

The GPA is low because of a kidney stone freshman year which resulted in me getting C's in every class I was in(I took my 2 semesters of gen. bio, gen. chem, calculus all at that time. :(
Got A's in all bio classes after that(I am a bio major) and B's in Physics and Orgo.

Had a stressful year with my almost full time job, organic chem and pushed myself to take the MCAT now since it was changing when I wasn't ready.
Do you think I have a chance to get into this? it really sucks because I started college working towards building the best application possible but freshman year left me with a 2.5 and major financial issues were the reason why I had to work. Did manage to get a lot of shadowing done though and was president of two pre med clubs sophomore year. I just don't want to have to have to go job hunting after I graduate. Been setback considerably and I don't know if I still have a chance. :(

I believe you need at least a 3.0 cumulative and science. I don't know how solid they are in honoring that but my guess is they are. I'd recommend taking a semester to retake some of those courses to boost it up at least to a 3.0

Hey Everyone!

I just applied to this program this past weekend. How long does it usually take to receive an II after being marked complete? Also, was the invite through email?

I think it depends on how quickly the admissions committee makes decisions and during which time period the application was submitted. I would guess it would take a longer time if they received your application during a time when a lot of other applications were received.

Yes, the interview invite was via email. I received my interview invitation within a couple of days after being marked complete. Hope this helps!

Did you check online to verify if yours was complete or not. Not sure how to find out if it's complete or not.

I think it depends on how quickly the admissions committee makes decisions and during which time period the application was submitted. I would guess it would take a longer time if they received your application during a time when a lot of other applications were received.

Yes, the interview invite was via email. I received my interview invitation within a couple of days after being marked complete. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your speedy response!

I didn't check online but I did receive an email stating that my application was complete. I'm sure if you email Beth Portnoy (she's the M.S. Program Administrator) she'll be able to give you more information on whether or not your application is complete or missing something. She was really nice and helpful during my application process.

I actually just got offered an interview today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
About 3 weeks ago. Got the interview request about a week an a half after

For the interviews...do they let you pick which day you want to come in or are there set times you can pick from? Also how do they choose who gets a phone interview?

For the interviews...do they let you pick which day you want to come in or are there set times you can pick from? Also how do they choose who gets a phone interview?

They ask you to send a couple of days / times that work and then they will notify you of which one they pick. Phone interviews are usually given to people who live out of state / can't make it to campus due to a busy schedule or whatever.

For those who have gotten accepted or received interview invites, can you please share your stats.

Also does anyone know when touro calculates the GPA, if they do grade replacement or is it done amcas style?

For those who have gotten accepted or received interview invites, can you please share your stats.

Also does anyone know when touro calculates the GPA, if they do grade replacement or is it done amcas style?

I'm not positive on this but I would assume they follow the grade replacement style since that's what AACOMAS does.

I received an II this week. Low 20s MCAT and 3.2 GPA. Lots of clinical experience and great extracurriculars.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Good luck!!!!!

Last edited:

Just edited my comment. My first one sent before I was ready. See above ^

Can anyone comment on the competitiveness of the program? Is it cut throat? Or is there a community atmosphere? In other words, am I competing against everyone in the class? If hypothetically every masters student gets above a 3.5 and passes the exam everyone gets into the program? They will reserve enough seats?

For anyone who has already applied can you send LORs via Interfolio?

Awesome. Thanks!

Just make sure to choose the masters program and not the DO program when selecting on Interfolio or else it won't be seen by the program director. You can also just send them straight to the program director using her email.

Just make sure to choose the masters program and not the DO program when selecting on Interfolio or else it won't be seen by the program director. You can also just send them straight to the program director using her email.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to look out for the right program!

Anybody who has interviewed in the last couple weeks hear back about anything. Had my interview two weeks ago almost. I know they said 6 weeks to hear back but you never know.

Interviewing this week.. Can anyone that has already interviewed give me any pointers about certain questions I should definitely have an answer for? How many interviewers were there? Hugeeeeee thanks in advance to anyone who replies! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here! Thanks again!!!

Already submitted my application...it has been 19 days, should I be worried?

It is the same with me! They haven't responded to me either. So I'm super worried too...

It is the same with me! They haven't responded to me either. So I'm super worried too...

I applied 2 weeks ago and I called today just to make sure they had everything. They told me they did so fingers crossed!

For anyone that has interviewed, did they tell you how how long they are interviewing for/ how many people are already accepted?

I applied 2 weeks ago and I called today just to make sure they had everything. They told me they did so fingers crossed!

For anyone that has interviewed, did they tell you how how long they are interviewing for/ how many people are already accepted?

Hey!

No, I interviewed this week but they didn't mention anything about how long they will be interviewing / how many people they have but I also didn't ask those questions.

I don't think the app closes until April so I'm sure they will be interviewing for a couple more months!!! Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions

Hello

Congrats to those who are accepted!

I just wanted to get an opinion of my competitiveness for this program. I have a 3.2sci and a 3.6cum. Just below 20mcat

Volunteer and extra curriculars 4000+ hours

DO and MD LOR, among others

Any advice, opinions regarding if I'd get an interview ? Thank You

Hello

Congrats to those who are accepted!

I just wanted to get an opinion of my competitiveness for this program. I have a 3.2sci and a 3.6cum. Just below 20mcat

Volunteer and extra curriculars 4000+ hours

DO and MD LOR, among others

Any advice, opinions regarding if I'd get an interview ? Thank You

Hey!

Definitely think you have a great shot! Your GPA wouldn't be the red flag on your app. I'm sure they would focus more on the MCAT but an admissions rep in the DO school told me that they do accept students with MCATs in the teens and I heard from a third year that the minimum MCAT needed was an 18 but she wasn't 100% sure on that. Anyway good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, Thank You for the response

I just submitted my application so let's hope for the best.

I'll keep updating. Definitely need a roommate if it comes to that lol

Hey!

Definitely think you have a great shot! Your GPA wouldn't be the red flag for their app. They would focus more on the MCAT Im sure but an admissions rep in the DO school told me that they do accept student with MCATs in the teens and I heard from a third year that the minimum Mcat needed was an 18 but she wasn't 100% sure on that. Anyway good luck!

Hey, I thought I would add to this forum. I had my interview this morning and it was very relaxed. I thought they would be asking me hard ethical healthcare questions but they only questioned my academic history for a bit and then kinda allowed me to ask questions. I'm pretty sure I asked more questions to Dr. Prancan then he did to me. For some reason, the way he spoke in the interview implied that I was already accepted. Do candidates who get interviewed usually get accepted? He also tried to tell me to retake the MCAT before coming to the masters program. My MCAT fits the master's program but he wants me to apply to other schools as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I thought I would add to this forum. I had my interview this morning and it was very relaxed. I thought they would be asking me hard ethical healthcare questions but they only questioned my academic history for a bit and then kinda allowed me to ask questions. I'm pretty sure I asked more questions to Dr. Prancan then he did to me. For some reason, the way he spoke in the interview implied that I was already accepted. Do candidates who get interviewed usually get accepted? He also tried to tell me to retake the MCAT before coming to the masters program. My MCAT fits the master's program but he wants me to apply to other schools as well.

Mind if I ask what are your stats? Did you by any chance get to ask how many seats are already filled for the program?

@DocShah
My stats are cGPA: 3.64 MCAT: 24 (Taken Once) sGPA: Slightly Lower than 3.6 ish (I don't actually know)
I'm a Biochemistry Major
Out of State: California
I remember asking Beth about the seats in the program in January and she said most of the seats get filled later in the spring. I also looked at Dr. Prancan's skype account under how many contacts he has and it was 4 so I am assuming there are still a lot of seats left.

@Pancaketowers
Wait Dr. Prancan did the same thing to you? Damn....hmmmm Yeah it was incredibly weird. I kinda got worried towards the end of the interview thinking that he would want to like deny me so that I would retake the MCAT and apply more broadly. Have you just interviewed or have you been officially accepted?

BTW does anybody know how long I should wait for like a decision letter... weeks? months?

@DocShah
My stats are cGPA: 3.64 MCAT: 24 (Taken Once) sGPA: Slightly Lower than 3.6 ish (I don't actually know)
I'm a Biochemistry Major
I remember asking Beth about the seats in the program in January and she said most of the seats get filled later in the spring. I also looked at Dr. Prancan's skype account under how many contacts he has and it was 4 so I am assuming there are still a lot of seats left.

@Pancaketowers
Wait Dr. Prancan did the same thing to you? Damn....hmmmm Yeah it was incredibly weird. I kinda got worried towards the end of the interview thinking that he would want to like deny me so that I would retake the MCAT and apply more broadly. Have you just interviewed or have you been officially accepted?

BTW does anybody know how long I should wait for like a decision letter... weeks? months?

I think that is a reoccurring theme in his interviews. My friend and I both interviewed within the past week and Dr. Prancan also encouraged us to re-take the MCAT and to apply to other medical schools as well. He said that this program is a really narrow opportunity so he wants his students to have as many opportunities to pursue medicine as possible. My friend actually felt the EXACT same way after her interview. She felt as though they may not accept her because they kept harping on the fact that she doesn't really need this program due to her good GPA. What she really needs is to retake her MCAT since that's the only part of her app really holding her back. Gives us a lot to think about and consider.....

@DocShah
I'm a Biochemistry Major

@Pancaketowers

Wow are you guys that interviewed going to take the seat if accepted? You sound apprehensive now since the faculty keeps mentioning to apply to other schools. That's weird.

I attended an interview for same type of program at different d.o school and I asked if most students get into their host med school or should I apply to others and staff were the opposite, they said if you get the grades you should be fine for host program.

I think that is a reoccurring theme in his interviews. My friend and I both interviewed within the past week and Dr. Prancan also encouraged us to re-take the MCAT and to apply to other medical schools as well. He said that this program is a really narrow opportunity so he wants his students to have as many opportunities to pursue medicine as possible. My friend actually felt the EXACT same way after her interview. She felt as though they may not accept her because they kept harping on the fact that she doesn't really need this program due to her good GPA. What she really needs is to retake her MCAT since that's the only part of her app really holding her back. Gives us a lot to think about and consider.....

Did they mention what a competitive score in the new test would be?

I'm going to take a seat if accepted but I might take the new MCAT before starting the M.S. program in July. Dr. Prancan just wants everyone to have an optimal amount of options open. A competitive score in the new test would be equivalent to a 28 on the old test, a least that's what Dr. Prancan said. However, to me a competitive score would be a 30. Has anyone been accepted yet or does anyone know long should I wait for a decision to be made? By the way, if anyone needs interview advice or questions on the application feel free to ask me.

I'm going to take a seat if accepted but I might take the new MCAT before starting the M.S. program in July. Dr. Prancan just wants everyone to have an optimal amount of options open. A competitive score in the new test would be equivalent to a 28 on the old test, a least that's what Dr. Prancan said. However, to me a competitive score would be a 30. Has anyone been accepted yet or does anyone know long should I wait for a decision to be made? By the way, if anyone needs interview advice or questions on the application feel free to ask me.
Interviewed on 2/5/15
Accepted: 2/10/15

Had similar experiences as some of you with my interviewer telling me to retake MCAT, etc...

Hi, new SDNer here and wanted some input about my stats. I recently received my mcat score which is atrocious. I was hoping for a decent mcat score to make up for my low GPA but I failed to do that. This was my top post bacc program choice and now I'm not sure if I would even have the slightest bit of a chance. If anyone can give me some input, that would be great.

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19 (was too stubborn to get special accommodation for my adhd and now I'm paying the price)

Hi, new SDNer here and wanted some input about my stats. I recently received my mcat score which is atrocious. I was hoping for a decent mcat score to make up for my low GPA but I failed to do that. This was my top post bacc program choice and now I'm not sure if I would even have the slightest bit of a chance. If anyone can give me some input, that would be great.

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19 (was too stubborn to get special accommodation for my adhd and now I'm paying the price)

Hey,

Your GPA and score and not that bad, give yourself some credit man.

With that, my honest advice is if you haven't applied yet, go meet someone in person. Show them why it's your top choice. Taking the time to visit will make you stand out if your close.

I just submitted my application after doing that and I feel good. Let's hope for the best. My sgpa is similiar to yours, my overall is 3.6 and my mcat is similiar.

Relax, apply, and it'll all work out.

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97

I agree! It won't hurt you to apply! I would also apply now because applying early will give you the greatest chance of acceptance.

As mentioned earlier, Relax! :)

So two of the SDN members asked me for more info on my interview. I know there is very basic info on here about my interview and other interviews but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post additional info.

So the interview was extremely relaxed. I had the interview on Skype and it was three people staring at one camera. It was Beth Portnoy, an immunology professor and Arthur Prancan. They are all very personable and fun to talk to. They didn't really even concentrate on the basics. They opened up the interview by asking me if I ever thought of retaking the mcat. They then asked me about how I use to work with osteopathic physicians and how I can elaborate on my experience there. The immunology professor asked me about my research experience and if I could ever practice a medical procedure like OMT even if it hasn't been well research or proven for success. They sorta asked me why I want to go to Touro. I talked to them for awhile in regards to retaking my mcat. I then asked them like four questions on the program, about the curriculum and the teaching style. It was honestly more like a conversation. I think the interview is an opportunity for you to get to know Touro more than it is actually an "interview". It was interesting overall. It's open file btw. They have all your documents in their hand.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey,

Your GPA and score and not that bad, give yourself some credit man.

With that, my honest advice is if you haven't applied yet, go meet someone in person. Show them why it's your top choice. Taking the time to visit will make you stand out if your close.

I just submitted my application after doing that and I feel good. Let's hope for the best. My sgpa is similiar to yours, my overall is 3.6 and my mcat is similiar.

Relax, apply, and it'll all work out.

I agree! It won't hurt you to apply! I would also apply now because applying early will give you the greatest chance of acceptance.

As mentioned earlier, Relax! :)

I really appreciate the advice :) I actually have visited the campus before and I thought it was amazing being able to tour/sit down with someone one on one to address my concerns and ask questions; this was obviously before receiving my mcat score. I am taking a few classes to boost my GPA up even a little more so hopefully that helps but I will definitely apply, no harm at this point right?

Just got my acceptance...feeling pretty elated! Stay positive everyone.