TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really appreciate the advice :) I actually have visited the campus before and I thought it was amazing being able to tour/sit down with someone one on one to address my concerns and ask questions; this was obviously before receiving my mcat score. I am taking a few classes to boost my GPA up even a little more so hopefully that helps but I will definitely apply, no harm at this point right?

Hey Mini786,
Are we allowed to just visit campus even though we are not invited for interview? I have similar stats are you so I think going there personally will be better.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend and I were accepted today! We both interviewed within the past week!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, new SDNer here and wanted some input about my stats. I recently received my mcat score which is atrocious. I was hoping for a decent mcat score to make up for my low GPA but I failed to do that. This was my top post bacc program choice and now I'm not sure if I would even have the slightest bit of a chance. If anyone can give me some input, that would be great.

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19 (was too stubborn to get special accommodation for my adhd and now I'm paying the price)

Definitely apply! I have similar stats except my MCAT is a couple points higher than yours but I just got accepted today so there's hope! Go for it!!!!! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mini786,
Are we allowed to just visit campus even though we are not invited for interview? I have similar stats are you so I think going there personally will be better.

Hey being a student who also visited the campus, I was in constant contact with Lisette Mercado (she was the program admin director at the time) I was able to schedule a meeting time with her and she was wonderful! She gave me really good advice and was very informative. I got to meet past master program students who are in the DO program now. I highly suggest going to visit!

Hey being a student who also visited the campus, I was in constant contact with Lisette Mercado (she was the program admin director at the time) I was able to schedule a meeting time with her and she was wonderful! She gave me really good advice and was very informative. I got to meet past master program students who are in the DO program now. I highly suggest going to visit!

Hey thanks for the info. I just emailed Beth asking her if can meet her and visit the campus. Are you a also an applicant to this program?

Hey thanks for the info. I just emailed Beth asking her if can meet her and visit the campus. Are you a also an applicant to this program?

Yes I'll be sending in my app in the next week as I'm just finishing the edits on my personal statement. I have average GPA stats as some applicants on this forum but a crappy mcat score :/ so I'm really hoping by some miracle I can get in because I was truly in love with the program after the one on one meeting/tour despite the shady area the school is in lol

From those who have been to the campus can you comment on it at all. There really isn't very many pictures online, especially on the inside of the building. Is there a lot of study space, nice classrooms, library, etc. You know the things that really make a campus feel like a university. If you have pictures that you can upload that would be AWESOME!

Sure, I live in NY and have been to the building twice (Open house, Interview).
Like some individuals stated on this forum, the school is located in a not so nice neighborhood (border of East/West Harlem). However, with that being said, the inside of the building is really nice and looks new. The building itself is also located on one of the main streets with a lot of people walking back and forth, as well as a subway station close by so it is pretty safe. There are multiple entrances where the main entrance looks really nice with a lobby and the other side entrance is a little bit shady.

The school has a gorgeous library, small but nice gym, multiple floors with lots of private study/group rooms. Personally, I thought the floor with pharmacy students (they have a pharmacy school as well) was the nicest but current students said that we could use those rooms as well as long as pharmacy students don't need them at the time.

Overall, the inside of the school is really new, clean, and nice compared to the outside of the building so don't let the outer appearance fool you. Considering that this is located in NYC where space is always an issue, it's a pretty nice school.

I'm going to be moving with my wife and son...since you seem familiar with the area, any suggestions on affordable, safe areas to live?

Hey Mini786,
Yes you are! I recommend it!

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive! I appreciate it a lot, I had given up hope for even post bacc programs after seeing that mcat score

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive! I appreciate it a lot, I had given up hope for even post bacc programs after seeing that mcat score

Don't say those words. If you want it, you'll do it. People will say caribbean is bad choice, SMP is bad choice, etc.

#1 rule, figure out what you want, find a way, and DO it. Whatever that may be

Reactions: 3 users
I felt the EXACT same way as your friend. Dr. Prancan told me that my GPA was high enough to be accepted to a D.O. school without a post-bacc program if I raised my MCAT scores. However, I knew that the low MCAT score was my flaw and I really think that a post-bacc program will help me out in the long run for the rigors of medical school curriculum so I'm really excited to be accepted nevertheless!

** Btw, congratulations on your acceptance!!!

Thank you!!!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you guys know if it matters that I am an out of state applicant? I'm an out of state applicant and my GPA is 3.4 with MCAT 26 and I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I don't know if all of their spots are filled? I know applications are open until April so I just really don't know!

I mean I don't think it matters but they asked me why I wanted to come to New York especially since I am from California and the weather is amazing here...
I would just contact Beth to make sure all your stuff is in. I also think they might be kinda backed up....not sure though

I think it really depends on the budget and the convenience, but if you are moving in with family I don't recommend living too close to East/West Harlem. My younger sister attends college in Harlem and lives in a shared apartment with friends. She claims that the apartment is perfectly safe but I visited her a couple of times and I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable living there. Housing in Harlem can be surprisingly expensive, especially the new renovated apartments.

NY has a really good subway system so even if you end up living a little far from where Touro is, it shouldn't be too bad of a commute. To give you an example, one of my friends who lives with his wife and two kids live in Brooklyn and he said that it takes him about 20-30 min by subway to get to his school (in Harlem). Another friend I know who also attends school in Harlem lives near 96th street where the neighborhood is much nicer and the school is still not too far away (takes about 10-15 min by subway).

You can also try Long Island City in Queens - it's right on the border of Manhattan and there are a lot of new, relatively affordable apartments cropping up there. I'm sure it's cheaper than housing in Manhattan and the space is probably bigger too. My best friend currently works and lives in Manhattan with her boyfriend but they're thinking of moving to Queens because the rent is too expensive.

Hope this helps!

Yes that is extremely helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out there. Excited to be moving to the city, but a little overwhelmed at all the different places to live and where not to live lol. Will figure it out though. Any other suggestions you think of, would be very much appreciated.

Accepted this past week as well!

Reactions: 3 users
I mean I don't think it matters but they asked me why I wanted to come to New York especially since I am from California and the weather is amazing here...
I would just contact Beth to make sure all your stuff is in. I also think they might be kinda backed up....not sure though

Called Beth and she said everything was in and that I was going under first review... I have no idea what that means! But thank you for your help!

Hi everyone,
I have very incompetent stats, do you guys think I can get accepted to the masters program? are they still accepting students for June 2015 or is it too late to apply? Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 2.8
MCAT: 19 (PS:7 V:4 BS:8) I'm an immigrant, moved here 5 years ago, hence the very low Verbal score
2 years voluntary research in microbiology lab + 2 years volunteering in emergency room
Please help! thank you

Hi everyone,
I have very incompetent stats, do you guys think I can get accepted to the masters program? are they still accepting students for June 2015 or is it too late to apply? Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 2.8
MCAT: 19 (PS:7 V:4 BS:8) I'm an immigrant, moved here 5 years ago, hence the very low Verbal score
2 years voluntary research in microbiology lab + 2 years volunteering in emergency room
Please help! thank you

Think you have a shot! Application is open until April so you're definitely not too late. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know last years matriculation percentage for those from the masters program that went on to the DO program. I've heard 60% which seems odd to me seeing as your already given conditional acceptance once accepted to the masters program.

Hey guys, I got an interview! Woo! For those of you who are out of state, did you Skype interview or go there?

Does anyone know last years matriculation percentage for those from the masters program that went on to the DO program. I've heard 60% which seems odd to me seeing as your already given conditional acceptance once accepted to the masters program.

Hey,

So be sure you understand what that conditional acceptance means. It's not just oh finish the masters degree and your're in. To gain automatic admission into next years class you need to...

1. Get a 3.5 GPA in the program. You may or may not have taken some of the classes before, but it's like 21-23 credits for the fall and spring.

2. Pass the Final Exam they give at the end of the program

3. Be recommended by assigned advisor (if you complete 1 and 2, this pretty much follows)

4. Not listed but obvious, stay out of trouble. Meaning if you get arrested or do something stupid in that year, you pretty much kicked out.

5. Remember you can't just go in and get C's and get the masters degree. You MUST have a 3.0 to receive the masters degree and you ABSOLUTELY need to have a 3.5 to receive masters degree and advance into the DO school, as stated above.

Know what your getting yourself into, it's 60% because some people go to the school thinking its a easy way. No the classes may not be hard, but when taking all of them in a semester, it becomes very difficult to get A- average.
Good Luck

Hey guys, I got an interview! Woo! For those of you who are out of state, did you Skype interview or go there?

Congrats! Just quick ques, how long after you submitted the application and all did you get the interview request?

Hopefully I will be going there, but I am in NJ.

Thank You

Congrats! Just quick ques, how long after you submitted the application and all did you get the interview request?

Hopefully I will be going there, but I am in NJ.

Thank You

Hi! Thank you :) I submitted my application on 1/21. I called them yesterday and they said my application was sent to first review and I received the ii today.

Good luck! :)

Does anyone have information as to how many seats are already filled?

Does anyone have any advice for the interview? I decided to go there and will have my interview on Monday.

Does anyone have any advice for the interview? I decided to go there and will have my interview on Monday.

Hey

I haven't interviewed, still waiting so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1. Show up early, even if they don't notice or are informed, you'll feel confident instead of nervous.

2. Talk to everyone in the room, there will be more than 1 person. When I say talk I mean answer each question while looking at each person, rotate your head, make eye contact with all. Don't just talk to 1 person

3. Take notes with pad and paper. It'll show your interested.

4. With that, ask questions. Have at least 4-5 questions to ask them. Even if you know the answer to it, let them tell you. They'll like that you did your hw. For gods sake don't say nope when they ask you if you have any questions.

5. Let them enter the room first, and let them leave first of they leave with you.

6. Be honest, know why Touro, know why DO, know your backup plan if they ask.

7. Most important, be you. I've been on research teams and so many people were blowing smoke you could see it a mile away. Don't rehearse, just walk in and be confident not cocky.

Reactions: 2 users
Heyyy! Congrats to everyone who is applying and who has an interview. I wrote my interview experience/advice earlier in this forum if anyone would like to read it. I applied on 1/17, received an interview request on 1/29, interviewed on 2/9. When should I expect a letter/email/call? Earlier in this form someone said a week?
I need/want to visit the school during spring break in order to make a decision on whether or not I want to attend (assuming I am accepted). I need to plan it earlier as in basically tell my employer. (It would also be nice to get a cheaper ticket)

Heyyy! Congrats to everyone who is applying and who has an interview. I wrote my interview experience/advice earlier in this forum if anyone would like to read it. I applied on 1/17, received an interview request on 1/29, interviewed on 2/9. When should I expect a letter/email/call? Earlier in this form someone said a week?
I need/want to visit the school during spring break in order to make a decision on whether or not I want to attend (assuming I am accepted). I need to plan it earlier as in basically tell my employer. (It would also be nice to get a cheaper ticket)

I heard less than a week after my interview. However, I heard others say it could take up to 4-6 weeks. You'll probably hear next week at the latest!

hey guys! I was also recently accepted to this program and will def be attending in june! I live in queens but I def want to get an apartment in the city and am looking for a couple of girl roommates, also is there a fb group yet or too early?

hey guys! I was also recently accepted to this program and will def be attending in june! I live in queens but I def want to get an apartment in the city and am looking for a couple of girl roommates, also is there a fb group yet or too early?

I was wondering what your stats were and if you can let me know when you submitted your app and when you interviewed. You can PM me this info if you'd be willing to share! Thanks!

Np!
cGPA: 3.4 sGPA: 3.3 and MCAT: 25 . I submitted my app on Jan 21st and I was interviewed on Feb 6th. They take a while but they're accepting apps till April, good luck!

if you dont want to live in the city, where else are good places to look? i dont mind commuting, id rather have cheaper rent.

Same here! I live in Queens as well and will be looking to find a place to live once the program begins. I'm thinking of finding a place close to when school begins (1 month before). Usually apartments in the city ask you to move in right away so I'm planning on waiting until then. What are your housing plans? If it works out, maybe we could live as roommates.
I also want to look for an apartment near the school around may so that I can move in when school starts, so I'm def interested in a roommate, we should make a fb group and talk as it gets closer to May =)

Does touro want a score report of all the mcat attempts or the most recent?

Here are instructions on how to procure your MCAT scores submitted by @PVTO earlier in the feed

"Below are the steps that I used to submit my scores:

1 - Log in into the MCAT THx system
2 - Select "Create and Print" (3rd option listed near the bottom of the page)
3 - Choose "Create"
4 - Click on "Retrieve your report"
5 - Save/Print the page as PDF file
6 - Email the PDF file to Ms. Beth Portnoy ([email protected])

I hope this helps."

They want to see all your attempts. Hope this clarifies things.

Here are instructions on how to procure your MCAT scores submitted by @PVTO earlier in the feed

"Below are the steps that I used to submit my scores:

1 - Log in into the MCAT THx system
2 - Select "Create and Print" (3rd option listed near the bottom of the page)
3 - Choose "Create"
4 - Click on "Retrieve your report"
5 - Save/Print the page as PDF file
6 - Email the PDF file to Ms. Beth Portnoy ([email protected])

I hope this helps."

They want to see all your attempts. Hope this clarifies things.

Yes thank you so much!

For those of us accepted, what are the next steps after submitting our response to the offer of admission? Do they mail out an acceptance packet? Do we need to pay a deposit?

For those of us accepted, what are the next steps after submitting our response to the offer of admission? Do they mail out an acceptance packet? Do we need to pay a deposit?

So just based on trend from previous years after submitting your response you should be waiting for you admissions packet, which they don't put together until April/May. This will answer questions you might have regarding books, financial aid, schedules, etc. Also, they will also be sending out emails about housing and such. As the days approaches the class creates a FB group to help with that process as well. There was nothing about a deposit (to save your seat or anything). My advice is to check your acceptance letter or call the office. Overall, for those of you who are already accepted congratulations and to those who are waiting best of luck!

Hey everybody!
I just got into the Masters program starting in July. I wanted to talk to someone that has already done the Masters program and matriculated into the DO program.
Do any of you know of someone that I can contact? you can PM me. Thanks!

I look forward to meeting all of you soon!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; the question is, who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Anyone think it is too late to apply?

Never too late. Application cycle ends April 15th so you're still early! Just be sure to get everything in before the deadline including your transcripts and LORs. Good luck!

Anyone receive an interview invite recently? 5 weeks and still waiting.

Anyone receive an interview invite recently? 5 weeks and still waiting.

This might be their busiest time for reviewing applications. However, they usually have a 2 week (min) turnover rate. You should definitely give them a call and ask if your application is complete. They'll be able to give you an idea of what stage you're at in the review process. Good luck!

Yeah I definitely think Alchemist2.0 is right! It's the busiest time as many students are starting to apply to this program since this application cycle didn't work out for them. Definitely make sure your application is complete after submitting everything cause I remember Beth telling me that it's great that I checked in. Don't worry about the 5 weeks and still waiting since I did my interview on 2/9 and I'm still waiting to hear back about the decision. However, I called in today and left a message cause I realized the CA FAFSA deadline is March 1st and I have a question about applying for Touro financial aid. Soooo maybe I will get some information tomorrow....

Deleted my own post. Sorry! Found my answer lol

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely think Alchemist2.0 is right! It's the busiest time as many students are starting to apply to this program since this application cycle didn't work out for them. Definitely make sure your application is complete after submitting everything cause I remember Beth telling me that it's great that I checked in. Don't worry about the 5 weeks and still waiting since I did my interview on 2/9 and I'm still waiting to hear back about the decision. However, I called in today and left a message cause I realized the CA FAFSA deadline is March 1st and I have a question about applying for Touro financial aid. Soooo maybe I will get some information tomorrow....

I believe the FAFSA priority deadline for the northeast is March 15th. Not exactly sure what Touro goes by. Let us know when you find out!