TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just there interviewing on Monday and this is what I have found out:
1. For those of you asking it is NOT too late to apply!
2. They have just received a ton of apps so they are a little slow. That being said call or leave a message because they are very nice and will tell you with no problems where you are at!
3. For those of you that recently interviewed (like me) get prepared to wait... the committee meets once a month to review interviews and they had literally just met so I was told to wait at least a month.

I also have a question... during my interview they too pushed to retake the MCAT and aim for a 31 and they were also surprised I hadn't been admitted to their DO program yet... did anyone apply to both and have that same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just there interviewing on Monday and this is what I have found out:
1. For those of you asking it is NOT too late to apply!
2. They have just received a ton of apps so they are a little slow. That being said call or leave a message because they are very nice and will tell you with no problems where you are at!
3. For those of you that recently interviewed (like me) get prepared to wait... the committee meets once a month to review interviews and they had literally just met so I was told to wait at least a month.

I also have a question... during my interview they too pushed to retake the MCAT and aim for a 31 and they were also surprised I hadn't been admitted to their DO program yet... did anyone apply to both and have that same situation?

From mine and everyone I've spoken with, this is the same situation. I think its because they technically only had 60% enter their DO program following the completion of the masters so...that way if you don't get in to their DO you still have options.

Reactions: 1 users
From mine and everyone I've spoken with, this is the same situation. I think its because they technically only had 60% enter their DO program following the completion of the masters so...that way if you don't get in to their DO you still have options.

The masters program does allot seats in the following year for those in compliance with the provisional acceptance agreement. Therefore, it is your seat to lose. However, it's always better to have more options than no options. They want you to consider is taking the MCAT and scoring well as an alternative if the masters program doesn't work in your favor or you decide not to continue a medical education at TouroCOM. Be careful about the way you answer this question in the interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah so I called in today and they answered my question about the FAFSA in case anyone is interested.
If anyone has financial aid questions, then you should call/contact [email protected]. On the other, the weird thing about calling Beth was that she told me on the phone that I'm all set to go and that the admissions enrollment forms are being made and that they will be sent out once they aren't backed up anymore. I just said thank you even though I didn't know what she was talking about and I haven't received an admissions letter. I was kinda confused on if that meant I was admitted.
@DoctorBallet They pushed me to retake the MCAT too and I think I might actually retake the MCAT prior to starting the program so I can actually have more options open.

Not sure what to do. I deferred my acceptance from last year because I got accepted to a different program that doesn't have linkage and was accepted to Touro after the semester had started. I recently got my MCAT scores back and they're not that great. Now I'm deciding what steps to take next..I really liked Touro when I went to visit but it's been a pretty tough journey for me and that conditional acceptance is risky.

I have a little time to decide though so any feedback would be appreciated :)

Not sure what to do. I deferred my acceptance from last year because I got accepted to a different program that doesn't have linkage and was accepted to Touro after the semester had started. I recently got my MCAT scores back and they're not that great. Now I'm deciding what steps to take next..I really liked Touro when I went to visit but it's been a pretty tough journey for me and that conditional acceptance is risky.

I have a little time to decide though so any feedback would be appreciated :)

I would call Beth Portnoy and address your acceptance questions first and then take any additional actions. They will ask you to consider retaking the MCAT in the interview, which is the general trend of this application cycle. Be prepared to address this question. Honestly, there is no reward without some risk. I say apply because the Touro program is a great opportunity. If you're concern is the provisional acceptance agreement then I urge you to consider preparing for and taking the MCAT before the program starts or within the year in order to broaden your options at the end. But don't take it unless you're ready and confident. Best of luck!

Can't wait to start a Facebook group / adding each other on Fb so we can start to get to know each other!!!!

Have any students here attended TOURO MS program and have been accepted into the medical school? Do you guys have any tips or advice or anything to add about your experience?

I have a 3.2 gpa and 24 mcat. Do you guys believe I have a chance for acceptance???

I have a 3.2 gpa and 24 mcat. Do you guys believe I have a chance for acceptance???
As long as your cGPA and sGPA are above 3.0 then you have a chance! Make sure your application is completed by April 15th. Good luck!

does anyone know how difficult it is to obtain the 3.5 GPA that is required for the DO linkage? I don't want to spend my money and not get into the medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how difficult it is to obtain the 3.5 GPA that is required for the DO linkage? I don't want to spend my money and not get into the medical school.

I think we all asked this question in our interview :) from what I understood 45 out of the 60 students were able to keep the 3.5 GPA and continue on. It is tough and there are other programs out there with lower GPA requirements but the school and everything I saw blew me away

@DoctorBallet : I think their grading scale is based on a curve as well.

@gabroojawan: You're going to have to work hard regardless of whether it's now in the masters program or later in medical school. If you don't go to the master program you'll end up spending a decent amount of money on retaking the MCAT, primary applications for medical school, secondary applications, interviews if you need to travel. Your money is being used as an investment toward your future. At the end of the day you have to decide if you're worth the gamble.

Last edited:
I really like all of the support and encouragement in this thread. Hopefully we all make it through! :)

@DoctorBallet : I think their grading scale is based on a curve as well.

@gabroojawan: You're going to have to work hard regardless of whether it's now in the masters program or later in medical school. If you don't go to the master program you'll end up spending a decent amount of money on retaking the MCAT, primary applications for medical school, secondary applications, interviews if you need to travel. Your money is being used as an investment toward your future. At the end of the day you have to decide if you're worth the gamble.
I understand, but you can get through med school with 3.0 gpa, right? This program on the other hand is requiring you to get a 3.5.

I understand, but you can get through med school with 3.0 gpa, right? This program on the other hand is requiring you to get a 3.5.

Well I'm sure getting a 3.5 GPA is difficult. I mean were talking about MEDICAL SCHOOL classes here.. However, I spoke to both Beth Portnoy and Dr. Prancan during my interview and they both said about 60% of the class makes it in every year.

Also, those students who are in the MS program and get into the med school, are not only at the top of their class (which makes sense since they have to retake the classes) but they also mentor new students AND they are leaving med schools and getting into residencies at Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, and Yale.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everybody!
I am going in for an interview next week and I was hoping for advice on the type of questions I should be prepared to answer or any interview tips in general. Thanks!

Hey everybody!
I am going in for an interview next week and I was hoping for advice on the type of questions I should be prepared to answer or any interview tips in general. Thanks!

Know yourself. Why you want to become a doctor. Reasons why you choose DO over MD. Elaborate on some of your experiences that show your strengths as a candidate. Be prepared to address the retaking the MCAT question. That seems to be the general consensus of this cycle. Have at least 3 questions you would like to ask about the program to show you're interest. Most importantly, be genuine. They have already read your application, personal statements, etc. so don't rehash what they have already read. You want to leap from those pages as a confident but humble student. Best of luck!

Hey everybody!

It's a very relaxed interview. Very conversation based as well which is good. Also if you have any problem areas in your application know what you did and don't put the blame on anyone else. Just explain it. My interview lasted around 45 min because we were just talking and it was really cool! Also if you are going in, be sure to be nice to EVERYONE. I know that is probably a given but you never know. Good luck!! If you have any particular questions you can just ask me! :)

Know yourself. Why you want to become a doctor. Reasons why you choose DO over MD. Elaborate on some of your experiences that show your strengths as a candidate. Be prepared to address the retaking the MCAT question. That seems to be the general consensus of this cycle. Have at least 3 questions you would like to ask about the program to show you're interest. Most importantly, be genuine. They have already read your application, personal statements, etc. so don't rehash what they have already read. You want to leap from those pages as a confident but humble student. Best of luck!
Thank you so much!

It's a very relaxed interview. Very conversation based as well which is good. Also if you have any problem areas in your application know what you did and don't put the blame on anyone else. Just explain it. My interview lasted around 45 min because we were just talking and it was really cool! Also if you are going in, be sure to be nice to EVERYONE. I know that is probably a given but you never know. Good luck!! If you have any particular questions you can just ask me! :)
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it :)

Hey everybody!
Mind posting your stats as well and where you're from? How many days in advance were you invited as well? Any chance you could ask the committee during your interview how many students have been accepted already, and how many have actually paid their deposit too! Thanks!

Is anyone thinking of retaking the MCAT as Dr. Prancan recommended?
Especially since it's going to be a new MCAT...

For those who have interviewed already and had the topic of mcat retake brought up. Did they question you about retaking it or make a recommendation that you retake it?

@Dr. Jigsaw : I'm retaking the MCAT on June 19th. Currently enrolled in a Kaplan course. Very helpful especially with the new MCAT.

@Pancaketowers & @DocShah :There is no deposit. As long as you sent in your acceptance response you should be receiving an admissions packet sometime toward the end of the application cycle. Enjoy your freedom.

@Pancaketowers : Thinking like a true DO and looking at the bigger picture. Lots of options! Good luck with your MCAT!

I'm really debating whether or not I should take a Kaplan course. I took one for the old MCAT and I don't think it helped that much....hence why I applied to this program. What do you guys currently enrolled in one think? Is it worth it for the new test? I really dont have the money for it right now and was considering just purchasing the books instead.

@Pancaketowers : which one? You're probably in my class and I don't know it lol

@TheCheerDoc : I was hesitant too when I first enrolled. But especially with the new MCAT, I think the money is worth the extra help and a good score. I had to test two MCAT courses before finding the perfect fit and I'm still paying it off. If you're concerned about content, Princeton review has more hours in classroom (I think it's close to 123 hours) and they go over content and skills. They're about the same in cost. However, if TouroCOM is your dream medical school, then forget the MCAT. Just work hard to get that 3.5 in the MS program.

I submitted my application on 2/18. I was just wondering how long does it take to receive an email that says your application is complete?

I submitted my application on 2/18. I was just wondering how long does it take to receive an email that says your application is complete?

I would wait until the end of the week to call Beth Portnoy because they do have a 2 week minimum turnover rate but it's kind of busy in the office at the moment. But definitely call and check in.

I bought the entire 2015 set of Examcrackers books in addition to enrolling in the online Kaplan course. I'm on the same boat as you in terms of the in classroom not helping as much... I'm trying to buy as many question books as possible and just learn the material + solve the questions.

Make sure you use AAMC materials as well. Other companies are fine to review content but when it comes to questions and test taking skills you want to be as close to the real deal as you can. Old exam science material is fair game.

Hi all I have a question.
I currently have a 3.4 overall gpa (last 3 semesters were 3.8 gpas) my degree gpa is a 3.5. My science gpa is a 3.5 (first year had terrible science grades, but my most recent science grades are all A's only 2 A-ses).
Assuming I get a 29-32 on the mcat do I have a chance at getting into the MS program in Interdisciplinary Studies at Touro NYC?

I had an unfortunate academic probation and dismissal from a pre professional phase of a Physician assistant program in 2010. It was due to Cs in science courses, not anything illegal like plagiarism, cheating etc, drugs.

I have over 6 months of shadowing an Osteopathic Physician (50 hrs), 180 hrs of miscellaneous volunteering, Will have about 600 hrs of work experience as a Registered Nurse in a Pediatric environment and about 100 hrs with Seniors. I also will be taking Upper level bio courses in the Fall 15' and Spring 16' culminating in a BA/BS in Biological Science at another 4 year school.
Currently my upper level sciences are General microbiology with lab: got an A, and Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with labs: got As in both.

Do I have a good shot? I really am trying hard.

Hi all I have a question.
I currently have a 3.4 overall gpa (last 3 semesters were 3.8 gpas) my degree gpa is a 3.5. My science gpa is a 3.5 (first year had terrible science grades, but my most recent science grades are all A's only 2 A-ses).
Assuming I get a 29-32 on the mcat do I have a chance at getting into the MS program in Interdisciplinary Studies at Touro NYC?

I had an unfortunate academic probation and dismissal from a pre professional phase of a Physician assistant program in 2010. It was due to Cs in science courses, not anything illegal like plagiarism, cheating etc, drugs.

I have over 6 months of shadowing an Osteopathic Physician (50 hrs), 180 hrs of miscellaneous volunteering, Will have about 600 hrs of work experience as a Registered Nurse in a Pediatric environment and about 100 hrs with Seniors. I also will be taking Upper level bio courses in the Fall 15' and Spring 16' culminating in a BA/BS in Biological Science at another 4 year school.
Currently my upper level sciences are General microbiology with lab: got an A, and Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with labs: got As in both.

Do I have a good shot? I really am trying hard.

Are you applying to start this year or next? The program starts this fall (well technically, summer). I'd definitely give the office a call to see how they feel about the academic probation/dismissal. I was on academic probation for a semester back in 2008 and no one ever mentioned it.

Are you applying to start this year or next? The program starts this fall (well technically, summer). I'd definitely give the office a call to see how they feel about the academic probation/dismissal. I was on academic probation for a semester back in 2008 and no one ever mentioned it.
Start next year in 2016.

I meant do you think I have a good chance?

I meant do you think I have a good chance?
It sounds like you have good stats. They might ask why you're not just applying straight to medical school though, especially if you get a 30+ MCAT.

It sounds like you have good stats. They might ask why you're not just applying straight to medical school though, especially if you get a 30+ MCAT.
Because of my red flag in 2010, and my 3.4 overall and 3.5 science gpa, Its good but its not excellent. Those red flags may be a baring factor. This masters will give me a better chance of getting in, either via the direct MS DO at Touro or other Do schools.

Is the group composed of only accepted people or all the prospective students?

Yeah! I actually got into the group today so I'm like going back and reading everything on there lol

I just got in today too! I tried once before but they didn't approve me lol

Let the stalking begin!

Last edited:
Is the group composed of only accepted people or all the prospective students?

In the group description it says accepted and prospective students so I think it's fine if you join before you're accepted

Please feel free to post any interesting tidbits for those of us who are not currently on facebook :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I interviewed a week ago. Does anybody know when I should hear back from them? And are they gonna call or email me if I am accepted or not?

Hi, I interviewed a week ago. Does anybody know when I should hear back from them? And are they gonna call or email me if I am accepted or not?

Hi, so did I! Beth had told me that the committee only meets once a month and they had just met right before I interviewed (Monday 2/23). She told me it would be at least 4 weeks until I heard back. They give us up to 6 weeks to hear back though.

Did anyone ask how many seats are left?

@fratguy91 : Generally, they send you an email acceptance letter. If you don't hear anything in 4-6 weeks definitely call them and ask.