TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some students do get low grades, yes. Roughly 50% or so of the masters class matriculates to the DO class. The key is to score as high as possible so you can beat the average and standard deviation.

As far as I know, this year no one failed or dropped out between the fall and spring semesters. Last year, I think a lot more students dropped.

Are you at the Harlem or Middletown campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some students do get low grades, yes. Roughly 50% or so of the masters class matriculates to the DO class. The key is to score as high as possible so you can beat the average and standard deviation.

As far as I know, this year no one failed or dropped out between the fall and spring semesters. Last year, I think a lot more students dropped.

Thanks a lot. Is that average and SD determined by both the med students grades and the masters? Or only by the master's students?

Also, you take the main classes with the med students and are graded against them right? Or are you only graded against the master's students?
Only graded against other masters students. Even though we take the same exams as the DO students, they're graded differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only graded against other masters students. Even though we take the same exams as the DO students, they're graded differently.

Wow, so that makes it really difficult?! Is the same true at middletown? Wow, its going to be really competitive.

Wow, so that makes it really difficult?! Is the same true at middletown? Wow, its going to be really competitive.
What I'll say is that this year's class has had some unusually high averages. Masters students usually score right around the DO students; sometimes their averages are a few points higher than us, sometimes not.

What I'll also say is that while this program is competitive (and crazy lol), you're going to really grow and mature as a student. Never did I think I'd be able to take like 5 exams in one month and do pretty well on all of them. It's challenging and exhausting and frustrating...but if you do want to be a physician and you're ready to throw up your sleeves and get busy for the next year, it can really be worth it. It's all up to you, what you think you can achieve, and what you're willing to do to achieve the goal. :)

And yes, same at Middletown. we all take the same exams at the same time.

Reactions: 3 users
What I'll say is that this year's class has had some unusually high averages. Masters students usually score right around the DO students; sometimes their averages are a few points higher than us, sometimes not.

What I'll also say is that while this program is competitive (and crazy lol), you're going to really grow and mature as a student. Never did I think I'd be able to take like 5 exams in one month and do pretty well on all of them. It's challenging and exhausting and frustrating...but if you do want to be a physician and you're ready to throw up your sleeves and get busy for the next year, it can really be worth it. It's all up to you, what you think you can achieve, and what you're willing to do to achieve the goal. :)

Well I guess I'll have to do it as I have no choice I suppose, thank you. The things is that, everyone wants that goal and the program is designed to guarantee that some students do badly, that is what sucks. I got a 515 on the MCAT but low GPA, I wonder how I will do

Hi, I just had a question if you don't mind. Is it true that two top students from the Middleton program were promoted straight to first year medical school after one semester? My interviewer said something like that, if I understood correctly. I believe two dropped out from medical school and two from the program were promoted to fill their seats.

Hi, I just had a question if you don't mind. Is it true that two top students from the Middleton program were promoted straight to first year medical school after one semester? My interviewer said something like that, if I understood correctly. I believe two dropped out from medical school and two from the program were promoted to fill their seats.
Hey I'm at Harlem so I'm not 100% sure about Middletown but I did hear that rumor a while ago. No one dropped out at Harlem so no masters students were moved up.

Hey I'm at Harlem so I'm not 100% sure about Middletown but I did hear that rumor a while ago. No one dropped out at Harlem so no masters students were moved up.

I was just wondering, have you heard about the UNT MS progam? Its in Texas. Would you suggest going to that over the Touro one?

Is there a new Facebook support group for the incoming students? Anyone have a link?

I see there were a few FB groups posted awhile back but not sure if they are still active.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a phone interview coming up soon for the program. Can anyone comment on what kind of questions they were asked in their interview?

I got into LECOM's program which is cheaper and only requires a 3.0 to matriculate into the med school

Just to let you know the LECOM MS medical sciences program only guarantees an interview for a 3.0 GPA, but if you actually want to get in I have heard nothing less than 3.5 will put your file to be considered.
Source: interview at lecom erie and bradenton

Have a phone interview coming up soon for the program. Can anyone comment on what kind of questions they were asked in their interview?

I just had a phone interview 4 days ago. The guy asked me the typicals: Why D.O., asked about my grades during undergrad why I did weak in some areas and strong in other areas, why I did my current masters degree what this masters will help you with, and some other personal questions. It lasted about 30 minutes and I asked 5 questions which took about 10 minutes to answer so it wasn't stressful at all, but after having multiple 'real life' interview I had to ask enough questions to make up for all the sensory information you don't get about the school to make it complete picture in your head.
Waiting to hear back early this next week

Good luck to you mate

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know or heard of someone that was waitlisted and then finally offered a spot?

Just interviewed today! I hope I get a fast reply like some of y'all did. Fingers crossed! The grading according to average and standard deviation sounds mad complicated though. Really hoping that I do well and just get into their DO program because I reallllyyyyyyyy do not want to have to retake the MCAT. Plus the office manager gave me a flyer for the summer anatomy program. Is anyone considering or going for it? :)

:):):):)
Just interviewed today! I hope I get a fast reply like some of y'all did. Fingers crossed! The grading according to average and standard deviation sounds mad complicated though. Really hoping that I do well and just get into their DO program because I reallllyyyyyyyy do not want to have to retake the MCAT. Plus the office manager gave me a flyer for the summer anatomy program. Is anyone considering or going for it? :)

Hi,
I plan to attend, just getting everything together for the big move from Florida to NY.

Are you from NY? I look forward to meeting you. :highfive:

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Are you a student in the Harlem campus? How do you like it?

I just got accepted to the program for the fall 2016 at Harlem's campus, so I am not a current student (sorry!). I asked my interviewer if it was solely based on GPA or if extra resume builders would increase your chances, she said that it was solely based on GPA. Our tour guide (current master's student) reiterated that as well.

Last edited:
I just got accepted to the program for the fall 2016 at Harlem's campus, so I am not a current student (sorry!). I asked my interviewer if it was solely based on GPA or if extra resume builders would increase your chances, she said that it was solely based on GPA. Our tour guide (current master's student accepted into the DO program) reiterated that as well.

What is your GPA if I may ask? Did you take any upper level courses?

:):):):)

Hi,
I plan to attend, just getting everything together for the big move from Florida to NY.

Are you from NY? I look forward to meeting you. :highfive:
Oh so you're accepting the offer? Awesome sauce. And yes I'm from Long Island so if I get in I'll commute by the LIRR. Are you planning on renting a place in the city?

I just got accepted to the program for the fall 2016 at Harlem's campus, so I am not a current student (sorry!). I asked my interviewer if it was solely based on GPA or if extra resume builders would increase your chances, she said that it was solely based on GPA. Our tour guide (current master's student accepted into the DO program) reiterated that as well.
Thank you, I will see u in June or August

I LOL'd hard at the "current masters accepted into the DO program" thing. Your tour guide must've been funny :) I'm pretty sure none of us have officially been accepted yet. We take the Comp on Friday. Lol but I mean...I guess some of us can figure out if we are gonna make it or not

It took exactly 4 business days for me to get mine so shouldn't be too long depending on how good of an applicant you are. The only thing about this program that gets me though is having to repeat all the classes again from the masters, but hey it's better than nothing right

Sorry to bud in...I am a student at Harlem Campus (Masters). LOVE it!! Harlem is awesome. TouroCOM is cool. Anatomy is fun. The experience is what you make of it. You know why you're there. Work hard! Try your bust to keep up with lectures, but remember that everyone falls behind sometime. There have been plenty of times when I worried that I wasn't going to remember enough by Monday morning (when we take exams) but suddenly Sunday, it really started sticking (and sometimes not until the day of the exam lol). Just don't get stressed out enough that you quit. See it all the way through. The work you did last week matters and every bit of effort you put in adds up. You will learn a lot about yourself and what you can handle, in the program. Work hard and see it all the way through! You are more than capable!

"It's all in divine order" -Dr. Jeff Gardere
It took exactly 4 business days for me to get mine so shouldn't be too long depending on how good of an applicant you are. The only thing about this program that gets me though is having to repeat all the classes again from the masters, but hey it's better than nothing right
yea I don't understand why we can't just transfer the credits and make it like an accelerated program lol but if I get into the DO program i don't care!

I was wondering if any current MS student could shed some light on the first semester schedule? The website gives a general idea of the classes but I was wondering how each day of the week was.

I have my interview Friday morning! I'm praying it goes well and I am accepted :)

I saw they asked why that specific program, they may ask you to tell them about yourself, I saw they could also say they could ask about your personal statement too

Can anyone (from current masters program) please share the typical first and second-semester schedule? I have a 3-year-old and would really appreciate any help! I am also wondering if the schedule is same for both Harlem and Middletown campus.

I LOL'd hard at the "current masters accepted into the DO program" thing. Your tour guide must've been funny :) I'm pretty sure none of us have officially been accepted yet. We take the Comp on Friday. Lol but I mean...I guess some of us can figure out if we are gonna make it or not
LOL..

I was wondering if any current MS student could shed some light on the first semester schedule? The website gives a general idea of the classes but I was wondering how each day of the week was.
Things are subject to change and the actual schedule depends on if you're in group A (morning) or B (afternoon). In the fall, we had Anatomy clickers and lab on Tuesday and Friday mornings. All masters students had clickers from 9A-12PM on Wednesdays for Physiology, Histology, and Biochemistry. On Thursday morning we had a mandatory Law and Ethics class. Then Group B had histo lab from 10-12 (I believe) and group A had Histo lab from 1-3. Mondays were exam days.

In the spring, the schedule is a little different. We still had Anatomy/Neuro on Tuesdays and Fridays. We were off on Wednesdays and had all day clickers (from 9-4) on Thursdays. Hope that helped!

Actually, I think I stated it wrong. They were a DO student that completed the masters first? I can't remember. I was too hyped after the interview!

I was just wondering, have you heard about the UNT MS progam? Its in Texas. Would you suggest going to that over the Touro one?
The UNT MS doesn't guarantee the admission. I believe they require you to retake the MCAT. They also do guarantee an interview if you make above 3.5 on the first semester though.

LOL..

Things are subject to change and the actual schedule depends on if you're in group A (morning) or B (afternoon). In the fall, we had Anatomy clickers and lab on Tuesday and Friday mornings. All masters students had clickers from 9A-12PM on Wednesdays for Physiology, Histology, and Biochemistry. On Thursday morning we had a mandatory Law and Ethics class. Then Group B had histo lab from 10-12 (I believe) and group A had Histo lab from 1-3. Mondays were exam days.

In the spring, the schedule is a little different. We still had Anatomy/Neuro on Tuesdays and Fridays. We were off on Wednesdays and had all day clickers (from 9-4) on Thursdays. Hope that helped!

Thank you for all your time and help. I called a professor at the program, and he said that only about 30% of the master's students get into the medical school. Also, grading is on a curve he told me, so the A's, B's, etc are limited and thus some students have to do poorly.

I would imagine it is really competitive then right? Are the students smart overall? I'm not yet I'm going to this one, I really don't like the curve thing. Thank you for all your help

The UNT MS doesn't guarantee the admission. I believe they require you to retake the MCAT. They also do guarantee an interview if you make above 3.5 on the first semester though.

The Touro one doesn't either, as only I think 30-50% get into medical school. The worst part is the competitive environment due to the curve, I am stil thinking about it, thanks everyone for your information.

I'm worried about the exact same things. I got into couple of reputable (but "non-guaranteed" acceptance) masters as well, but i'm holding off on rejecting them until i get more info on this one. ~30% seems horrible and it seems believable to me too considering the curve.
Im in the same boat. I was accepted to both lecom post bacc and touro ms Middletown. The touro grading system has me worried. Lecom post bacc is a tough program as well, but I don't think they grade on a curve. I would hate to get 90s on exams and still not be good enough for touro medical school, while at LECOM I would be assured admittance.

The curve has me worried for touro as well. I am choosing lecom over touro.

I recently had a phone interview for the middletown campus. When I asked my interviewer about what % of master students got into the DO program this year he said 50%. Also correct me if I'm wrong but LECOM's post bac only guarantees an interview if you get a 3.0 or higher in their post bac. As far as I know the only schools that offer a guaranteed DO admission post bac are Touri (if you get a 3.5 or higher) and VCOM (if you get a 3.6 or higher).

For the people from around the area, is it cheaper to live on campus or off campus in Middletown? Im from the south so trying to figure out my living situation. Thanks!

For the people from around the area, is it cheaper to live on campus or off campus in Middletown? Im from the south so trying to figure out my living situation. Thanks!
Yes! I am also from the south and am trying to figure out where to live at the Middletown campus.

I was also wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should bring my car. It's too far to drive it to NY, so I would have to ship it. I'm not sure if it would be worth it though.

Thank you for all your time and help. I called a professor at the program, and he said that only about 30% of the master's students get into the medical school. Also, grading is on a curve he told me, so the A's, B's, etc are limited and thus some students have to do poorly.

I would imagine it is really competitive then right? Are the students smart overall? I'm not yet I'm going to this one, I really don't like the curve thing. Thank you for all your help
As I said before, yes it is competitive. I saw a post of yours saying that Touro has "weaker students", etc and frankly, I have no idea what lead you to that conclusion. If this program was full of weak students, our averages would be in the mid-60s instead of the mid-80s they've been literally all year. The curve exists and it's not going to change. Either you're up for the challenge or you're not.

My advice is to look at whatever options you have, make a decision, and stick to it. Anonymous opinions on the internet cannot decide your future for you.

Reactions: 3 users
As I said before, yes it is competitive. I saw a post of yours saying that Touro has "weaker students", etc and frankly, I have no idea what lead you to that conclusion. If this program was full of weak students, our averages would be in the mid-60s instead of the mid-80s they've been literally all year. The curve exists and it's not going to change. Either you're up for the challenge or you're not.

My advice is to look at whatever options you have, make a decision, and stick to it. Anonymous opinions on the internet cannot decide your future for you.

Thanks a lot. For the Touro program, I think maybe it was hopeful thinking that led me to think it has weaker students, I really hoped so. But honestly, I feel that Touro is too competitive. Someone here told me that 30 out of 80 get in. I'm worried it might screw up my chances for medical school, because currently my chances are not too bad. Thanks a lot for all your advice, you were really helpful!

Hi guys! Two questions:

1) So, I heard that Touro administers exams online and the laptop must meet certain requirements to run the exam software. I was trying to find a list of laptops specs online, but most of the websites seem outdated. I was wondering if any current MS/DO students could provide me with some info. I am interested in buying a windows surface 4 to take notes/watch lectures/complete exams -- would this be compatible? Also can anyone recommend a laptop to me for this program? I definitely need to upgrade before the semester begins! :) (I will also check with IT dept. but I just wanted to see if I could get some help on here as well)

2) For students at Middletown, how are the dorms? Would you recommend them? I know some students hate being on campus all day & night; I don't mind that part, but I do mind the cost lol. Are they worth it?

Thanks!!

Hi guys! Two questions:

1) So, I heard that Touro administers exams online and the laptop must meet certain requirements to run the exam software. I was trying to find a list of laptops specs online, but most of the websites seem outdated. I was wondering if any current MS/DO students could provide me with some info. I am interested in buying a windows surface 4 to take notes/watch lectures/complete exams -- would this be compatible? Also can anyone recommend a laptop to me for this program? I definitely need to upgrade before the semester begins! :) (I will also check with IT dept. but I just wanted to see if I could get some help on here as well)

2) For students at Middletown, how are the dorms? Would you recommend them? I know some students hate being on campus all day & night; I don't mind that part, but I do mind the cost lol. Are they worth it?

Thanks!!
The only requirement I remember them stressing was having an antivirus software (which can be downloaded free...they'll even give you a list during orientation). Also in the beginning we weren't supposed to download new stuff like Windows10 and El Capitan (I think that's the apple thing) because they wouldn't be compatible with ExamSoft (what we use for exams)...but after a while they told us we could download them.

But if you're really worried...yea...IT is a better bet