TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion!

Members don't see this ad.

To anyone who attends TOUROCOM-NY: Why did you decide on this school? Any advice to an applicant?

Sexy. A new thread for me to haunt.

I'm not going to answer the above question because Im supposed to be board studying. But I'm gonna just say for anyone who is new in this thread..... you'll prob see me commenting a lot. Just your neighborhood friendly DocE. Feel free to PM me questions anyone has on the school (or leave them here and I'll get to them when I'm being a bad student and not doing practice board exams)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why am I not shocked that DocE was the first person(non-applicant) to post in this thread...oh yea, it's bc he spends his life on SDN answering EVERY Touro-related question instead of studying!!!

How are you keeping those grades up? Teach us! :)

Anyways, I'll be starting this Fall at TOUROCOM-NY. Hard to believe that it's been a year since MY application process started. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to ask any questions.

Why am I not shocked that DocE was the first person(non-applicant) to post in this thread...oh yea, it's bc he spends his life on SDN answering EVERY Touro-related question instead of studying!!!

How are you keeping those grades up? Teach us! :)

Anyways, I'll be starting this Fall at TOUROCOM-NY. Hard to believe that it's been a year since MY application process started. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to ask any questions.

1 week til USMLE (6 days actually :eek:) and 9 days to COMLEX. This is a destress for me at this point. It takes my mind off of the endless parade of questions on Autosomal Dominant/Adult Polycystic Kidney Disease. (You will all know and hate this by the start of second year)

Time to bump this thread.

I remember reading on SDN that Touro NY used to grant interviews if you meet a certain gpa/mcat threshold, and that this screening is pre secondary. So if you get a secondary, you get an interview. Is this still how it works?

Time to bump this thread.

I remember reading on SDN that Touro NY used to grant interviews if you meet a certain gpa/mcat threshold, and that this screening is pre secondary. So if you get a secondary, you get an interview. Is this still how it works?

definitely was how it used to work. Can't see why they'd change that, as it seemed to be a good system. Though its not exactly a secondary = interview deal. Its more that if you get a secondary the interview is yours to lose at that point with your essay, or whatever it is they want on the secondary.

definitely was how it used to work. Can't see why they'd change that, as it seemed to be a good system. Though its not exactly a secondary = interview deal. Its more that if you get a secondary the interview is yours to lose at that point with your essay, or whatever it is they want on the secondary.

Ah, good to know DocE. In comparison to other schools, do you think TouroNY puts more weight on the interview?

Ah, good to know DocE. In comparison to other schools, do you think TouroNY puts more weight on the interview?

Honestly couldn't tell you. I think they would because I know qualified people who put their foot in their mouth in a small way during the interview and didnt get in.

But I also imagine that every school has certain phrases you need to ignore. In the case of my school don't mention wanting to work on madison ave, don't mention that you know we have a derm and ophtho hookup affiliated with us, don't mention a latent racism or fear of harlem (that one goes without saying).

So what is this GPA and MCAT threshold?
Also, I like that this school has lower tuition than Midwesterns and it's located in NYC. I would expect the cost of living to be high tho.
Could any of the current students list some pros and cons about the school?
One thing that scares me is that the school is located in Harlem and I'm kinda scared to walk even near there :)

Also, I like that this school has lower tuition than Midwesterns and it's located in NYC. I would expect the cost of living to be high tho.
One thing that scares me is that the school is located in Harlem and I'm kinda scared to walk even near there :)

I interviewed at both schools last cycle. I did not feel unsafe in Harlem, in fact I liked the opportunities it presented. I found the school environment relaxed and laid back.

Honestly, it sounds like you are not that much of a city person...and if that is so...this school is NOT for you. Sure, this is something you can get over, but on the same note, why not just go to a school where you feel comfortable. I for example, do not feel comfortable in rural environments (for a lot of reasons), so I am only applying to schools in or near big cities. You may need to do the opposite. Harlem is one of those places (like Detroit) where the only people who really talk **** are the people who do not understand the communities that live there. Sure the area has some issues and is far from glamorous, but that doesn't mean it is "unsafe" or anything else ridiculous. It is in a major city, one of the largest cities in the world, there is some inevitable crime/danger risk as a part of that. But I think there is that risk everywhere (in and out of the city). Just crime in rural environments do not get nearly as much spotlight...

did anyone who applied for 2012 receive a secondary from tourocom-ny yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year a secondary application was sent if you met the minimum requirements. Probably won't get the secondary for a bit as they just changed Admission officers.

did anyone who applied for 2012 receive a secondary from tourocom-ny yet?

No... if memory serves me correctly I think they only send them out to people who win interviews... or at least that's how they have done it in the past. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about what they're doing this year.

Last year a secondary application was sent if you met the minimum requirements. Probably won't get the secondary for a bit as they just changed Admission officers.

I think the cutoff was 3.4 and 24 mcat. not 100% thou.

I think the cutoff was 3.4 and 24 mcat. not 100% thou.

I can say that I had less than that (gpa) and was accepted. But, they will start sending out secondaries soon most likely. I turned all of my info in by the first week of August. Also if they keep with what they have done the past 4 years, if you get a secondary, you will get an interview. Interviews won't start until early October though- at least they didn't last year. Also interviews are held on Tue/Wed from about 8am-12/1pm, and they tend to be open file. Hope that helps!

I can say that I had less than that (gpa) and was accepted. But, they will start sending out secondaries soon most likely. I turned all of my info in by the first week of August. Also if they keep with what they have done the past 4 years, if you get a secondary, you will get an interview. Interviews won't start until early October though- at least they didn't last year. Also interviews are held on Tue/Wed from about 8am-12/1pm, and they tend to be open file. Hope that helps!

Can I ask what your mcat was if you dont mind?
my gpa is really low. 3.4 overall and 3.2 science...and 25 mcat.
u think i have a chance?
also...is is true for all TOURO com locations that if u get a secondary you get an interview?
thanks for ur help :)

I think the interview cutoff was around a 3.0 24 mcat. Above poster, I think you have a good shot at getting the interview.

u think i have a chance?
also...is is true for all TOURO com locations that if u get a secondary you get an interview?

I don't have experience with the other Touro's but I know TouroCOM-NY does do that with the secondary/interview. And my cGPA was a 3.34 and sGPA was a 3.0 with a 25Q MCAT. I think you'll be fine. What I believe helped me was that I went to the school and met with the director of admissions prior to them receiving my application. Also I was told by the DOA that they give preference to those who turn their materials in early (shows interest etc.). All of that worked in my favor and I had an interview the second day of the cycle. Honestly you just have to show them that you want it and that you have something to contribute to the TouroCOM family and the Harlem area. Don't worry :)

I don't have experience with the other Touro's but I know TouroCOM-NY does do that with the secondary/interview. And my cGPA was a 3.34 and sGPA was a 3.0 with a 25Q MCAT. I think you'll be fine. What I believe helped me was that I went to the school and met with the director of admissions prior to them receiving my application. Also I was told by the DOA that they give preference to those who turn their materials in early (shows interest etc.). All of that worked in my favor and I had an interview the second day of the cycle. Honestly you just have to show them that you want it and that you have something to contribute to the TouroCOM family and the Harlem area. Don't worry :)

Thank you, that gives me hope :)

u think i have a chance?

Cutoff was 3.0 and 24 last year, and NO, not all Touro campuses do the automatic interview with secondary thing (I applied to all of them last year, and only NY does it this way).

Hey I'm new here, but I'm really interested in Touro, my family lives in NY and it'd be nice to be close.

Can anyone tell me if I have a chance?

3.3 undergrad GPA
28Q MCAT
Masters in Public Health-Epidemiology
LOTS of volunteer work

I would say you stand a good chance of gaining an acceptance if you apply early, stress your strengths appropriately, and interview well.

Hey I'm new here, but I'm really interested in Touro, my family lives in NY and it'd be nice to be close.

Can anyone tell me if I have a chance?

3.3 undergrad GPA
28Q MCAT
Masters in Public Health-Epidemiology
LOTS of volunteer work

seems fine to me.

Does it usually take this long for TouroNY to send secondaries? I think last year the secondaries came out late July...correct me if i'm wrong.

Does it usually take this long for TouroNY to send secondaries? I think last year the secondaries came out late July...correct me if i'm wrong.

I remember getting my secondary in August last year. August 20th to be exact

It depends on when the school is ready and when your AACOMAS is complete. Last year I got mine in mid-July, but I was complete by the end of June.

It depends on when the school is ready and when your AACOMAS is complete. Last year I got mine in mid-July, but I was complete by the end of June.

Hopefully I will be getting it soon. My application was released on June 23rd. I just need to finish TouroNY, Western, and MSU secondaries then I'm done! Yay!

Few quick questions about TouroNY:

1) Anyone know if TouroNY boasts mcat subsection cutoffs when giving out secondaries? My overall score is a 27, but I received a 6 for verbal...

2) Does TouroNY give preference to NY residents? I'm a NJ resident, so I was wondering if nearby states also get some preference...it would be great if current students can shed some light on the diversity of home states in which the class is from.

3) Can anyone be kind enough to post supplementary essays/prompts when they get them?

This school is one of my top choices, and I'm sure it is for everyone here. Good luck to you guys, and thanks in advance!

1) Anyone know if TouroNY boasts mcat subsection cutoffs when giving out secondaries? My overall score is a 27, but I received a 6 for verbal...

2) Does TouroNY give preference to NY residents? I'm a NJ resident, so I was wondering if nearby states also get some preference...it would be great if current students can shed some light on the diversity of home states in which the class is from.

3) Can anyone be kind enough to post supplementary essays/prompts when they get them?

This school is one of my top choices, and I'm sure it is for everyone here. Good luck to you guys, and thanks in advance!

Im speaking as a previous applicant. The school does not have a preference for NY resident preference. Nor do they have a MCAT cutoff or minimum for subsections, just based on a total score.

No cutoffs, I also had a 6 in verbal, but got accepted for 11/12 cycle.

no preference, I'm from Canada, and got in.

this was for last year.
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the TouroCOM Mission, Goals or Objectives. Please limit your essay to 2 pages. On a separate sheet of paper, consider addressing a few areas; Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How has your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? Can you express how you were influenced by a shadowing experience?

this school is getting competitive every year.

Has anybody gotten a secondary offer yet?

If this year is anything like last, you should be getting your secondaries pretty soon...I checked my email and I received my secondary August 13th, and I know there were plenty of people who got theirs before I did.

can anyone pleaseee share the secondary essay questions??

can anyone pleaseee share the secondary essay questions??

Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the TouroCOM Mission, Goals or Objectives. Please limit your essay to 2 pages. On a separate sheet of paper, consider addressing a few areas; Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How has your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? Can you express how you were influenced by a shadowing experience?

thats hard!!!

but thanks so much :)

thats hard!!!

but thanks so much :)

no problem. what you can do is just write one essay no more than 2 pages. You don't have to write 2 essays. I remember I wrote 1.5 pages and covered everything they asked.

no problem. what you can do is just write one essay no more than 2 pages. You don't have to write 2 essays. I remember I wrote 1.5 pages and covered everything they asked.

but it specifically says on a separate sheet of paper :-s
i dunno if it wud be a good idea to combine.

I wrote a single essay - 2 pages long. It was fine. I loved this school last year!

no one would do 2 essays. The reason for it is that both essays have the same questions.

they should change the question structure. it's confusing.

I never interpreted it as multiple essays. I read "separate sheet of paper" as simply saying that they wanted the essays to not have part of the application on the same page, but to be their own page (or 2) of text. and even then, I always took it not to be multiple questions, but rather one essay where you address all of those things since they all come down to "why would you be a good fit here". The school is just making sure you know that they are interested in your answers to those specific aspects of the school.

Plus doesn't it say "consider addressing a few areas" and then lists some for you. Its really an open ended "write anything" opportunity, but they clearly want you to touch on at least a few of those since they view them as critical. I can tell you that you should def try to address the 'why harlem' question since they take loyalty to the community very seriously. For a whole bunch of reasons, not least of which is a wealth of grants to be had for urban healthcare education that we've begun to tap into just this previous year.

I never interpreted it as multiple essays. I read "separate sheet of paper" as simply saying that they wanted the essays to not have part of the application on the same page, but to be their own page (or 2) of text. and even then, I always took it not to be multiple questions, but rather one essay where you address all of those things since they all come down to "why would you be a good fit here". The school is just making sure you know that they are interested in your answers to those specific aspects of the school.

Plus doesn't it say "consider addressing a few areas" and then lists some for you. Its really an open ended "write anything" opportunity, but they clearly want you to touch on at least a few of those since they view them as critical. I can tell you that you should def try to address the 'why harlem' question since they take loyalty to the community very seriously. For a whole bunch of reasons, not least of which is a wealth of grants to be had for urban healthcare education that we've begun to tap into just this previous year.

Pretty much all of this. And you should be able to touch on most, if not all, of the topics they mention. And yea, the "why harlem" question is uber-important. Make it a good one...

I think they're very open to the format as long as you answer the questions. I'm in the C/O 2015 and when I submitted mine last year, I wrote multiple essays, but kept it w/in the 2 page limit. Content is what's important.

Anybody received a secondary yet?

Anybody received a secondary yet?

If this year is anything like last, you should be getting your secondaries pretty soon...I checked my email and I received my secondary August 13th, and I know there were plenty of people who got theirs before I did.