TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you'll be fine as long as you bring any luggage with you
Bring your luggage with you to the interview? Do they loan you a locker or sth to store your stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Bring your luggage with you to the interview? Do they loan you a locker or sth to store your stuff?

There is a storage closet you can put your stuff in. I left straight from the interview so I had to bring it with me. Just ask the woman the front desk, she was very friendly.

For people who already interviewed, around what time did it end? (I saw one person post that it was scheduled to end at 1 but went until 2:30).

I'm trying to get my plane ticket squared away, and want to know if a 5:45 pm Newark departure is cutting it close?

Honestly, I think that is cutting it close. I have a friend who lives on the next street over from the school, and she flies from Newark. It has taken her anywhere from an hour and a half-2 hours by public transport to get there. If you were planning on a taxi or driving, that's another story and you should be fine. The closest airport is Laguardia and it's less than a 45min bus ride. JFK is about (it took me) an hour and a half away by subway.

Members don't see this ad :)
my application was released to tourocom on 10/6, and ive received secondaries from every other school I have applied to other than here

i was wondering if i had a a chance of receiving a secondary from them.. and how long does that usually take? from what I read in this thread their pre-screening process is quite long..

i think i have okay extra curriculars, but im worried about my gpa and mcat score which i think may be preventing me from receiving a secondary application

cumm GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.37
MCAT: 26P (7V 10B 9P)

i volunteer at an osteopathic hospital.. and currently im working on my masters and working in a lab. i also have a primary authorship publication that was published in 2010

i would really appreciate any advice from anyone about this.. and also am i late in the application process for tourocom?

my application was released to tourocom on 10/6, and ive received secondaries from every other school I have applied to other than here

i was wondering if i had a a chance of receiving a secondary from them.. and how long does that usually take? from what I read in this thread their pre-screening process is quite long..

i think i have okay extra curriculars, but im worried about my gpa and mcat score which i think may be preventing me from receiving a secondary application

i volunteer at an osteopathic hospital.. and currently im working on my masters and working in a lab. i also have a primary authorship publication that was published in 2010

i would really appreciate any advice from anyone about this.. and also am i late in the application process for tourocom?

I think your scores look just fine (your bio score is a big plus too), I would wait until next week and then perhaps give the admissions office a call. I'm assuming that since this is the peak of the application/interview process (for Touro at least) that they're probably really busy.

Just call them! Touro is not known for being prompt...don't bother them, but it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease!

It's what I had to do last year also. Plus, if you follow up on them receiving your materials, it's showing them that you're interested. And trust me, it gets around; we only have about 4-5 main people involved in admissions directly. So unlike other big schools with tons of staff, if you're calling and expressing interest, it will get around and they will remember you.

Hi all, I am trying to get the decision timeline straight. After the interview, the decision comes within 3-4 weeks, and if you are accepted, you have 2 weeks to submit a $2000 deposit? Please correct me if I am wrong. Does anyone know if any of the $2000 is refundable? Thanks!

Hi all, I am trying to get the decision timeline straight. After the interview, the decision comes within 3-4 weeks, and if you are accepted, you have 2 weeks to submit a $2000 deposit? Please correct me if I am wrong. Does anyone know if any of the $2000 is refundable? Thanks!

Your timeline is pretty much correct, but i think its 3-5 weeks for the decision. As for the deposit, its NON-refundable, as it usually is with most schools.

hey what do you guys think for admission,

3.15 gpa, 3.25 sci gpa, 4.0 mcat
26S mcat, 11 Bio, canadian

**** loads of publications and conferances(6)

Interview 2nd week of nov...

Iam also liking Touro being heavy graduate student focuses, probably explains why the bio sections are high

Your timeline is pretty much correct, but i think its 3-5 weeks for the decision. As for the deposit, its NON-refundable, as it usually is with most schools.

holy crap? really? i thought they would give till may 15th like all the md schools...

My primary was released August 11th, and I still haven't heard back about the secondary...

I've been trying to find their contact info to call / email, but could not for the life of me reach them. Will someone be kind enough to give me a hand?

They can interview more people this way. It really does work in your benefit.

thats one way of seeing it i suppose but it also means you get less time to hear bak from other schools ur interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats one way of seeing it i suppose but it also means you get less time to hear bak from other schools ur interested in.

I guess they are making an effot to give us more time to hear from other schools.They used to give out decisions exactly 2 weeks after the interview. Now its 3-5. My hope is that it's closer to 3 lol

any comments?? pleaseeelol

I guess they are making an effot to give us more time to hear from other schools.They used to give out decisions exactly 2 weeks after the interview. Now its 3-5. My hope is that it's closer to 3 lol

Same, hope it's closer to 3. Touro closes early on Fridays, so I don't think we'll be hearing anything today unfortunately. The prospect of receiving a decision via email this entire week has been so draining! I really hope they let us know asap next week.

Same, hope it's closer to 3. Touro closes early on Fridays, so I don't think we'll be hearing anything today unfortunately. The prospect of receiving a decision via email this entire week has been so draining! I really hope they let us know asap next week.

For the last 2 weeks we've had half days W, and closed R/F that probably has a lot to do with it taking so long. We're back to normal come Monday, so I'll be crossing my fingers for ya!

anyone else interviewing tues? super excited to check out Harlem!!!

Just designated them on AACOMAS tonight. Do I have a good shot with a 3.80/3.74 and 29 (12 P 7 V 10 B) MCAT with a 31 composite (9 V) (I don't know if composite matters)?

Oh, and what's their II/Acceptance ratio?

Last edited:
I submitted my aacomas mid June and have not heard anything from this school. I've been accepted to a few schools already but was really interested in Touro because of the numerous opportunities in NYC. Should I call the school? I think I have ave. stats - 3.5 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa. 30 mcat 12 P 10 V 8 B, writing P.

thanks a bunch! i actually tried calling a few times but no one seems to pick up in the office.. left a voicemail.. but ill try back again on monday :) thanks again!

Just call them! Touro is not known for being prompt...don't bother them, but it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease!

It's what I had to do last year also. Plus, if you follow up on them receiving your materials, it's showing them that you're interested. And trust me, it gets around; we only have about 4-5 main people involved in admissions directly. So unlike other big schools with tons of staff, if you're calling and expressing interest, it will get around and they will remember you.

thanks a bunch! i actually tried calling a few times but no one seems to pick up in the office.. left a voicemail.. but ill try back again on monday :) thanks again!

If you don't get the secretary, call back and talk to Issa Sow (assistant DOA) or Joseph Perez (DOA), trust me they don't mind. That office in general is impossible to get a hold of...

If you don't get the secretary, call back and talk to Issa Sow (assistant DOA) or Joseph Perez (DOA), trust me they don't mind. That office in general is impossible to get a hold of...

Yeah... I've called both of their numbers 23487239487 times... Nothing.
Has anyone successful contacted them? Do they have email addresses?

Yeah... I've called both of their numbers 23487239487 times... Nothing.
Has anyone successful contacted them? Do they have email addresses?

Theres been a lot days off for jewish holidays...so they've probably been busy the days they were open

I submitted my aacomas mid June and have not heard anything from this school. I've been accepted to a few schools already but was really interested in Touro because of the numerous opportunities in NYC. Should I call the school? I think I have ave. stats - 3.5 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa. 30 mcat 12 P 10 V 8 B, writing P.

Check your spam mail.

I remember a previous poster say that the College takes measures to ensure that the instructors provide quality instruction to the students. Can any one elaborate on that? How exactly do they do that?

I remember a previous poster say that the College takes measures to ensure that the instructors provide quality instruction to the students. Can any one elaborate on that? How exactly do they do that?

The thing that is most important to me is how we do our exams. We take all of them on our computers with a program called ExamSoft. In doing so, every question comes back to the preclinical dean (as he does all of the grading, NOT the prof) with a detailed report. It will say which concept was being tested, if it was a core concept, what percentage of the class got it correct/incorrect, if only the top 10% of students got it right, etc. Now say there is a question that the majority got wrong, or that only the top 10% got right and the rest bombed it, he would throw out that question. But that's not the end of it for the prof. Whenever a question is thrown out, the prof must write a report for EACH question stating why the class did poorly on it (didn't teach it right, went too fast...), how they could have taught it better, and what changes they will make to their syllabus for next year so that the students understand that concept.

So, to make a long story short, the profs are graded on how well we do on their exams. If everyone is failing, and if so it's usually not the students, then action will be taken with them.

Of and another little tidbit; despite our staff being physicians, we have some sort of education PhD guy that will sit in on all of our classes to make sure that they are actually teaching in an effective way. Over the summer I guess they have to attend seminars on effective teaching methods.

Like I said, those are the important things to me. If you have any specifics, PM me.

me! Super excited.. not excited for my red eye flight from CA in a few hours! haha :)

How funny me too!! Left lax at 11pm and now in atl, yelping for places to eat once I get there haha...NYC here we come!

Hoping for some good news this week... i'm getting restless

Hoping for some good news this week... i'm getting restless

Same here! So...there are interviews tomorrow and the next day. I have a feeling that if we don't hear back by today, we probably won't hear back until the next round is interviewed and decisions have been made for them too. Which would mean that the 3-5 weeks would lean more towards the 5 week end of the spectrum. I hope my prediction is wrong!

Same here! So...there are interviews tomorrow and the next day. I have a feeling that if we don't hear back by today, we probably won't hear back until the next round is interviewed and decisions have been made for them too. Which would mean that the 3-5 weeks would lean more towards the 5 week end of the spectrum. I hope my prediction is wrong!

I hope your prediction is wrong too lol... It's still possible the committee meets later this week to discuss for the first round of interviews from 10/5, 10/6. I'm sure some people don't mind waiting, but since Touro is top choice, I just want to know already.

How funny me too!! Left lax at 11pm and now in atl, yelping for places to eat once I get there haha...NYC here we come!

Yay! i won't be the only California person this time! omg atlanta airport sucks for food. Delta much? See you tomorrow! :)

Anyone else who already interviewed just receive the invitation to interview in November? I guess I can add it to my 3 invitations to complete their secondary. I think they are having some serious organizational issues.

Anyone else who already interviewed just receive the invitation to interview in November? I guess I can add it to my 3 invitations to complete their secondary. I think they are having some serious organizational issues.

haha...wow, i just want a decision already

Yay! i won't be the only California person this time! omg atlanta airport sucks for food. Delta much? See you tomorrow! :)

So how was it? I had a tour group walk past me as I was running late (almost) to class. You all had such grim looks on your faces!?

I just got invited for an interview. any suggestions on hotel and which airport i should fly to? I am from CA

Thank you!

I just got invited for an interview. any suggestions on hotel and which airport i should fly to? I am from CA

Thank you!

Congrats! LaGuardia isnt to far of a ride from/to Harlem

Its a second chance to make a first impression!:thumbup:

Did anyone that interviewed in the beginning of Oct receive an answer yet??

AHHH! Just got an interview invite!!! Anyone else interviewing on the 30th of November?

just wondering how long do you guys receive confirmation email after you tell them your preferred interview date?

Thank you!

Just got my phone call from the school!!!!

NOT!!! lol I hope this didn't jinx me (knock on wood 3 times the mood)

My confirmation came the next day. I probably checked my email about 50times the day I selected my preferred date. I wanted to make sure I received my preferred date and I was high with excitement that I spent the entire day planning my trip

just wondering how long do you guys receive confirmation email after you tell them your preferred interview date?

Thank you!

Just got my phone call from the school!!!!

NOT!!! lol I hope this didn't jinx me (knock on wood 3 times the mood)

My confirmation came the next day. I probably checked my email about 50times the day I selected my preferred date. I wanted to make sure I received my preferred date and I was high with excitement that I spent the entire day planning my trip

ya I seleted my preferred date yesterday and haven't received the confirmation email yet. kinda panic right here :(

Just got an interview invite here. I wanted to ask you guys for your advice. i've already been accepted to Western in CA. Do you guys think it is worth the money to interview there?

I'm going to interview at GW on Dec 2nd as well and I can easily swing by NY and interview at TUCOM-NY. I'm just trying to evaluate if its worth it. Can any current students shed some light? What would you advise?