TPR gChem hyperleading atomic structure question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
the question is

Which of the following is incorrect:

It listed a very incorrect answer :: the 5f subshell has 14 degenerate orbitals

which I undetstnad that it is incorrect and why

However, what I do not understand is the other answer choice they listed - in any atom there are an infinite number of possi
E energy levels.

I thought that there were a limited and quantized number of energy levels but this is listed as a true statement. .can someone please explain why?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, why is this true (if it even is, I believe it is an errata)

IN Any atom there are an infinite number of possible energy levels

It is true that there are an infinite number of possible energy levels (*i.e. if given sufficient energy, an electron could move to an infinite number of higher energy levels), what is defined by quantum numbers is the most probable location of electrons.

@amy_k , I really like your explanation. Basically, have you seen this equation rydberg formula.png? You don't need to know it for the MCAT, but it's the Rydberg formula and it gives the wavelength of light that is emitted when an electron drops from a higher to a lower energy level. n1 and n2, which represent the energy levels, can be any integer - meaning that there are an infinite number of possible levels.

Reactions: 1 user
the question is

Which of the following is incorrect:

It listed a very incorrect answer :: the 5f subshell has 14 degenerate orbitals

which I undetstnad that it is incorrect and why

However, what I do not understand is the other answer choice they listed - in any atom there are an infinite number of possi
E energy levels.

I thought that there were a limited and quantized number of energy levels but this is listed as a true statement. .can someone please explain why?
I agree that atoms can have infinite energy levels but each level has a fixed amount of energy associated with its electrons.Now in the energy level we have sub levels (s,p,d and f.Your energy level is 5f sub level which has a fixed energy associated with it.Now f orbitals have 7 orientations feasible in space(7 shapes of orbitals) and each orbital has 2 electrons.These 7 orbitals with 14 electrons are degenerate as they are in the same sub level and are of same energies.This is based on knowledge of quantum numbers.