TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook percentages vs. AAMC VR scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bea524

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the correlation between percentages scored on TPRH verbal workbook and AAMC practice tests or the real thing.

What were you averaging on the TPRH verbal workbook and what did you get on the AAMCs/real test?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to see the correlation between percentages scored on TPRH verbal workbook and AAMC practice tests or the real thing.

What were you averaging on the TPRH verbal workbook and what did you get on the AAMCs/real test?
I usually get 1-2 wrong per passage, or 75-80% correct on TPRH Verbal (when I do clumps of 3-7). I scored a 10 on my aamc #3 this weekend. That's my only experience so far. I will add to this when I take aamc #4 this week.

I usually get 1-2 wrong per passage, or 75-80% correct on TPRH Verbal (when I do clumps of 3-7). I scored a 10 on my aamc #3 this weekend. That's my only experience so far. I will add to this when I take aamc #4 this week.
When you say usually, do you have occasional passages where you get more than 2 wrong? If so, how often?

Sure. There are times where I get 0 wrong, and other times I get 3 wrong per passage. My average is 75-80% correct with TPRHL Verbal as well as ICC.

I posted in another thread about my experience with TPRHL Verbal Test 1. I completely missed the point of passage 2. In fact, my bottom line was opposite what the authors supposed bottom line was, so I only got 2/7 correct on that passage. Completely tanked my score.

That was the only time something like that happened, so I am hoping it was a fluke.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are exactly 43 passages in the TPRH verbal workbook excluding the tests. Just so I'm clear, you are saying that your average percentage correct on these 43 passages was 75-80% (including occasional 0 wrong passages and occasional 3 wrong passages).

There are exactly 43 passages in the TPRH verbal workbook excluding the tests. Just so I'm clear, you are saying that your average percentage correct on these 43 passages was 75-80% (including occasional 0 wrong passages and occasional 3 wrong passages).

I've only done half of the passages up to this point. When I finish, I will give you my exact breakdown :)

I missed about half the questions on TPRHL verbal when I first started (First 10 passages or so?) then I began to miss from 1-3/passage for the next half (but sometimes I only get one right in an entire passage because I didn't have a clue what was going on). I got discouraged, so I stopped using it.

So far, I've scored 10, 10, 10, 10, and 11 on the AAMC tests.

Reactions: 1 user
I missed about half the questions on TPRHL verbal when I first started (First 10 passages or so?) then I began to miss from 1-3/passage for the next half (but sometimes I only get one right in an entire passage because I didn't have a clue what was going on). I got discouraged, so I stopped using it.

So far, I've scored 10, 10, 10, 10, and 11 on the AAMC tests.
Why the drastic improvement? Did you better understand answer traps and question stems? Did you develop more of a "feel" for what a correct answer/wrong answer "sounds" like?

Why the drastic improvement? Did you better understand answer traps and question stems? Did you develop more of a "feel" for what a correct answer/wrong answer "sounds" like?

For TPRHL I started actually reading, rather than skim reading. I hard to retrain myself because I hardly ever read a sentence in its entirety.

For my AAMC tests, I started scribbling notes while I read (I don't look at my notes; it just kept me focused). I also would narrow my answers down to two and pick the wishy washy answer. It's normally the right one.

For TPRHL I started actually reading, rather than skim reading. I hard to retrain myself because I hardly ever read a sentence in its entirety.

For my AAMC tests, I started scribbling notes while I read (I don't look at my notes; it just kept me focused). I also would narrow my answers down to two and pick the wishy washy answer. It's normally the right one.
So for TPRH you read (instead of skimming) and it hurt your scores and for AAMC you skimmed and it improved your scores?

I began verbal and would constantly miss 2-3 per passage, i tried many different strategies but ironically, the one that has worked best for me is reading the passage twice. I give my self 7 minutes per passage and read the passage once closely and then go back and give it a quick read, i have now began only getting 0-1 wrong every passage. Although many company's strategies claim the opposite of this if you are a fast reader give this a try

^ That's crazy. How in the world do you finish on time?

I actually finish with some time left over. I found i was going back to the passage alot before i began reading twice. Now i never so i am not spending as much time as the question. I am aware that all the companies reccomend spending more time with the questions but this strategy has been the best for me.

TPRH Verbal workbook is the best secondary source verbal practice IMO. Way better than EK101

Members don't see this ad :)
Been having ups and downs with TPRH VR too.

Sometimes I score 5/7 6/7 then (completely f'ed up on the 4th practice passage anyone remember it?) got a 2/7. This is all untimed too (~11-12 mins to finish) so I'm getting a bit discouraged.

Is TPRH VR harder than EK 101 VR? I feel like it is a bit more, even though EK has more tricky questions.

I am only on my 10th passage so hopefully it will increase by then (doing 2-3 each for TPR and 1-2 for EK) but even when I attempt to read up on improve VR scores, my percentage still fluctuates.

My method as of now (less that 2 weeks in study, for a Jan test date) is untimed TPRH and a timed EK of ~9-10 minutes. It's kind of weird too, I can do pretty mediocre on an untimed, and on a timed I can do above average. I'm guessing it mostly whether you comprehend the passage right away or not, or whether you spend too much time contemplating the question and it's answers.... ughhhh

Been having ups and downs with TPRH VR too.

Sometimes I score 5/7 6/7 then (completely f'ed up on the 4th practice passage anyone remember it?) got a 2/7. This is all untimed too (~11-12 mins to finish) so I'm getting a bit discouraged.

Is TPRH VR harder than EK 101 VR? I feel like it is a bit more, even though EK has more tricky questions.

I am only on my 10th passage so hopefully it will increase by then (doing 2-3 each for TPR and 1-2 for EK) but even when I attempt to read up on improve VR scores, my percentage still fluctuates.

My method as of now (less that 2 weeks in study, for a Jan test date) is untimed TPRH and a timed EK of ~9-10 minutes. It's kind of weird too, I can do pretty mediocre on an untimed, and on a timed I can do above average. I'm guessing it mostly whether you comprehend the passage right away or not, or whether you spend too much time contemplating the question and it's answers.... ughhhh

Are you spending more time on the passage or on the answers. If you are spending too much time on the answers it means you didn't comprehend a lot while reading the passage. Try reading the passage twice. One time normal, and the next much faster, then attack the questions. Do this untimed until you see consistent results.

Personally, my AAMC verbal scores have been pretty much in line with the % correct on TPRHL Verbal.

Personally, my AAMC verbal scores have been pretty much in line with the % correct on TPRHL Verbal.
I don't understand...one is a percent, the other is a score.
Isn't the purpose of this to correlate the two?

I'm at the beginning of my VR journey...not really sure what to focus on here. I'm good on time - spend just over 3min on each passage - but it looks like I'm averaging in the 85% range (1-2 wrong/passage). Given that timing isn't my issue, any suggestions for bumping up the accuracy? Or is it really just practice, practice, practice?

Anyway, this thread so far seems to hint that 1-2 wrong/passage corresponds roughly to the 10ish range. Does that seem right?

I don't understand...one is a percent, the other is a score.
Isn't the purpose of this to correlate the two?

I'm at the beginning of my VR journey...not really sure what to focus on here. I'm good on time - spend just over 3min on each passage - but it looks like I'm averaging in the 85% range (1-2 wrong/passage). Given that timing isn't my issue, any suggestions for bumping up the accuracy? Or is it really just practice, practice, practice?

Anyway, this thread so far seems to hint that 1-2 wrong/passage corresponds roughly to the 10ish range. Does that seem right?

I'm no expert, but you seem to be on the right track already (seem to be naturally good at verbal). The time you take on passages leave you with a tremendous amount of time to review.

Or, hell, you can even slow down on your first run-through of the passages (take ~5 minutes instead of ~3 minutes) and still have plenty of time to review.

Just some thoughts.

I averaged 83% correct on the TPRHL workbook passages, and I got 9, 11, 12, and 13 on the exams.

Done half of EK 101 so far and my current average is at an 11.

Did three AAMC FLTs so far and scored 11, 11, and 12.

I seem to be in a good spot but would like to maintain that/maybe raise the average. Currently I do two passages (from the AAMC self-assessment) every Monday and Wednesday, and an EK 101 exam Fridays. Any thoughts on how to keep my VR game strong while focusing more on the other sections?

Last edited:
I averaged 83% correct on the TPRHL workbook passages, and I got 9, 11, 12, and 13 on the exams.

Done half of EK 101 so far and my current average is at an 11.

Did three AAMC FLTs so far and scored 11, 11, and 12.

I seem to be in a good spot but would like to maintain that/maybe raise the average. Currently I do to passages (from the AAMC self-assessment) every Monday and Wednesday, and an EK 101 exam Fridays. Any thoughts on how to keep my VR game strong while focusing more on the other sections?
Sounds like you're more than fine in all honesty :)

When you guys take TPRHL do you guys take the passages in clumps or just 1 ? and How about when I time myself?
Thanks

Thanks. I didn't mean to show off or anything, I was just answering OP's question and was looking for ideas on staying sharp.

Didn't mean to show off? Never thought I'd hear that on SDN :)

I'm sure we're nice people in person.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm no expert, but you seem to be on the right track already (seem to be naturally good at verbal). The time you take on passages leave you with a tremendous amount of time to review.

Or, hell, you can even slow down on your first run-through of the passages (take ~5 minutes instead of ~3 minutes) and still have plenty of time to review.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks!
I tried slowing down tonight and improved significantly, but at this stage it's impossible to tell if that's due to chance, pace, or source (I'm rotating b/w TBR, TPRH, and EK). I wish I could just dive in, but I'm trying to stick to the pacing.

I've taken the first 34 passages of the practice test and my average is a 9 so far. I took the AAMC#3 today and scored a 9 :( I do 2 passages at a time, 7 minutes each passage. I'm really hoping to raise it by at least 1 point in a month, but it's very hard for me to stay focused. EK passages were easier and more interesting to read :(

Last edited:
the one that has worked best for me is reading the passage twice.

This is actually a strategy I always have all my students try, at least a few times. I call it the "slow read" approach - read each ¶ twice to really understand it. Then when you go to the questions, just go solely on your memory. Don't look anything up. Just stick to your really good understanding of the passage.

Ironically I've found that students who are the fastest readers have the most success with the "slow read" approach. Because they're used to moving quickly through text, the act of slowing down and really carefully digesting each ¶ by reading it twice lets them be very accurate when it comes to the questions.

I'll confess this is also the approach I use personally. If you're the type of reader that could blast through the passage in about 60-90 seconds, then you can afford to read every paragraph twice, and will often benefit tremendously from that extra time investment.

What does a 33/40 and 31/40 equal for AAMC scale? These are my practice test 1 and practice test 2 scores respectively. On practice test 2, I bombed passage 1 and 3 (missed three on each) and got perfect scores on 2,5, and 6. :smack: I tried the EK strategy of slowing down on the passage and that seems to help quite a bit. With my old speed reading techniques, I got a 5 on my first AAMC practice test. Hopefully, slowing down will continue to help me improve my score.

I've got a question concerning Kaplan FL's Verbal section: Would it be a good idea, to omit the verbal section on the Kaplan FL and at the same time, pause, and do a TPR verbal practice test? I haven't practice Verbal much and I keep on hearing that Kaplan Verbal isn't good, so would it be better to switch the Verbal Section in the FL for a TPR Practice test's verbal section?

@PreMedDisposed

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have limited experience with Kaplan but generally, I think Kaplan Verbal asks you to find explicit details from the passage whereas TPR (and AAMC) requires more "inferring".

Reactions: 1 user