TPR science workbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this book to do passages? I just started doing physics passages today in it and they seem kinda "off". Idk why. Does anyone else get this feeling?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been using it for a while (mostly for bio and physics). If you mean they aren't the same type as the AAMC questions/passages yeah I'd have to agree with you. I've only taken AAMC 4,5,7 so far though so I can't speak if it's closer to the more recent tests. I do love the book though a lot of the bio passages are experiment based which has been very helpful to me and just having a ton of physics passages has really helped me in my weaker sections (optics)

I've been using it for a while (mostly for bio and physics). If you mean they aren't the same type as the AAMC questions/passages yeah I'd have to agree with you. I've only taken AAMC 4,5,7 so far though so I can't speak if it's closer to the more recent tests. I do love the book though a lot of the bio passages are experiment based which has been very helpful to me and just having a ton of physics passages has really helped me in my weaker sections (optics)
Okay cool. I'm planning on doing all the passages over the next 11 days.

Yeah as it gets closer and closer to test date I'm going to keep doing as many of them as I can mixed with the AAMC FL's. I've heard a couple of people say that you should definitely do the ones marked as 'extremely challenging' or something similar. Those help with dealing with the crazy passages that might pop up.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're off because they try to force a passage or two for every topic in the content outlines. It gets awkward at times, but most of the stuff in there is still solid.

Does anyone fine these harder than the practice test? I've taken aamc 3.4.5 and those questions seemed way easier for bio at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier AAMCs are easier, yes. Not representative of the real thing. 9-11 is where it's at. TPRH bio is on point.

This physics passages in this were different but I believe that the Ochem, Bio, Chem are deff on point. Some of the physics passages were harder but dont let that discourage you. Look into doing the amplifire or set of discretes that the physics section provides for TPR.

Wait so are the later AAMCs harder? Cuz if so then.... Crap

It's still subjective I think. Contrary to the majority opinion of the forum, I found #11 BS section to be easier than #10, and my score reflected that. But generally speaking, the later aamcs tend to have more passages that require more critical thinking than memorization (I.e the earlier ones).

It's still subjective I think. Contrary to the majority opinion of the forum, I found #11 BS section to be easier than #10, and my score reflected that. But generally speaking, the later aamcs tend to have more passages that require more critical thinking than memorization (I.e the earlier ones).

Hmm that may not be a bad thing for me. I tend to do better on those questions on the earlier AAMCs anyway. Guess well see!!

How does your per passage accuracy translate to AAMC tests, particularly 9-11? I'm averaging 2 wrong per chem and anywhere from 0-4 wrong in bio. My bio is all over the map but it averages out to 2 wrong per passage. I'm getting nervous because if I get 2 wrong per passage on every passage on real thing then I'm screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does your per passage accuracy translate to AAMC tests, particularly 9-11? I'm averaging 2 wrong per chem and anywhere from 0-4 wrong in bio. My bio is all over the map but it averages out to 2 wrong per passage. I'm getting nervous because if I get 2 wrong per passage on every passage on real thing then I'm screwed.
Don't understand the question. Are you asking how many questions you can get wrong per passage to achieve a certain score? The scales vary too much for any conclusion to be made; aim for as little as possible.

What I am wondering is if you are averaging x number wrong per passage in the science workbook, does this number correlate to the number wrong per passage on AAMC/real thing? Put another way, do people do better, worse, or the same on AAMC/real thing than SW. I realize SW isnt set up like real test but you can still project forward based on average passage accuracy, etc.

I used this book and I think it does a very decent job in preparing myself in science sections. I didn't have time to finish all the questions there but I definitely recommend you to do all the free standing questions and half of the passages. There are some difficult ones they marked. If you are not shooting for 13+ don't bother. Get the solid foundation first. Make sure you take notes on every question you GUESSED and got WRONG, this is a very important process of learning. Forget about the question style in your real test, focus on how much you really know. If you have a good knowledge foundation, you can handle any question style

I used this book and I think it does a very decent job in preparing myself in science sections. I didn't have time to finish all the questions there but I definitely recommend you to do all the free standing questions and half of the passages. There are some difficult ones they marked. If you are not shooting for 13+ don't bother. Get the solid foundation first. Make sure you take notes on every question you GUESSED and got WRONG, this is a very important process of learning. Forget about the question style in your real test, focus on how much you really know. If you have a good knowledge foundation, you can handle any question style
So do free standing? Or passages?

So do free standing? Or passages?
I would prioritize passages over FSQs, but do as much as you can if you're aiming for a 11+ score. If you find the FSQs easy, great; breeze through them to make sure there's no surprises. It's a huge book for a reason. Treat it as the treasure it is.

I would prioritize passages over FSQs, but do as much as you can if you're aiming for a 11+ score. If you find the FSQs easy, great; breeze through them to make sure there's no surprises. It's a huge book for a reason. Treat it as the treasure it is.
Haha I am on question 180/800. Going through doing all the FSQ is good because when I get one wrong, I know I have a weak spot.

Haha I am on question 180/800. Going through doing all the FSQ is good because when I get one wrong, I know I have a weak spot.
Yeah if your content is solid FSQs should not take you more than average of ~30-45 seconds a question, barring the starred difficult ones.

If I'm looking to get at least a 27, what level of accuracy in the science workbook would get me there? I just did the phases and colligative properties chapter and I scored 70% on passages but then dropped down to. 63% for gases. However I am doing much better on the discretes. seems like there are 1 or 2 passages that I completely bomb per section and that crushes my score.

Yeah so after 160 questions if am averaging at 83%.
Sounds good. Work towards that 90%+. I was at ~90% on the passages, but still only ended up with 13/12 (PS/BS0. -shrug- Take it for what you will.
If I'm looking to get at least a 27, what level of accuracy in the science workbook would get me there? I just did the phases and colligative properties chapter and I scored 70% on passages but then dropped down to. 63% for gases. However I am doing much better on the discretes. seems like there are 1 or 2 passages that I completely bomb per section and that crushes my score.
There is no upper limit. As high as possible. Hard to say what happens when percentages dip below 70% (at least I don't know…maybe others do). You need to figure out what it is about those passages (if it's not the content) that is making you bomb them.

Sounds good. Work towards that 90%+. I was at ~90% on the passages, but still only ended up with 13/12 (PS/BS0. -shrug- Take it for what you will.

There is no upper limit. As high as possible. Hard to say what happens when percentages dip below 70% (at least I don't know…maybe others do). You need to figure out what it is about those passages (if it's not the content) that is making you bomb them.
The passages in TPR? Or BR?

Also, do you remember what you were scoring in the FSQ?

I am on question 243 of free-standing. Anything I get wrong I'm putting into anki but I'm not grading myself. I'm doing all 800 and making sure I do around 50 per day before I dive back into TBR. I love the science workbook!
Fluids is really kicking my a$$ so it's not all sunshine and roses here.

I am on question 243 of free-standing. Anything I get wrong I'm putting into anki but I'm not grading myself. I'm doing all 800 and making sure I do around 50 per day before I dive back into TBR. I love the science workbook!
Fluids is really kicking my a$$ so it's not all sunshine and roses here.
You're lucky you have time. I am doing all 800 today and then tomorrow. Lol

If you can do that you are heroic. That's an insane number in two days. I attempted to do that in a week and quickly thought, "nahh" lol
Haha, I don't really have a choice. My exam is next Thursday. I also need to do a bunch more passages in this science workbook and 3 more FL exams. Fml.

How are your scores so far?
I haven't graded myself at all on TPR. I'm using it as kind of a content review resource before I start TBR. I have a lot of content gaps, like not knowing certain equations, that are really getting solidified with the drills. I love how TPR repeats the same style of questions so you can be sure you know the concept.

BTW, my test is in July.

Damn. That's crazy.
Maybe it was more like 95%. I honestly don't know lol there were too many problems for me to keep track of, and some of them I just looked at over dinner or something and checked the answer; didn't even write my answers down, so no way of knowing my actual %

Maybe it was more like 95%. I honestly don't know lol there were too many problems for me to keep track of, and some of them I just looked at over dinner or something and checked the answer; didn't even write my answers down, so no way of knowing my actual %
I'm
Basically doing it more for physics and chem. There aren't a lot of calculations in the real exams so I never know it I understand concepts.

I just finished the general chemistry FSQ and I scored 80/92 (87%). Any problem that I got wrong I made sure I understood why, and I wrote down the topic so I can review my problem areas (solubility, molecular geometry for some reason).

Hopefully, I can finish the biology and organic chemistry questions tonight too and can post my scores on them.

Has anyone else done these discretes and can compare scores as to how they did on the real exam/FL practices?

Don't worry about mapping the %s onto FLs just yet. Just use them for review like you've been doing.

I just have some weak spots in biology. Detail stuff because I haven't seen it in a while (viruses, mutations, etc)
Just focus on that stuff then. Beat it in via TPR Bio as much as you can. Follow up with some TBR review if necessary.

But honestly there's not as much firm recall anymore like the old AAMCs. Always a 2-3 random questions, but it's mostly stuff like the Ebola passage from AAMC 11; all critical thinking.