TPRH Science Workbook Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leric90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, retaker here studying for the 26th of april mcat

only had a few weeks to prepare for the first one and now have a couple months until the next one

researched the forum and have only heard great things about tprh science workbook however unlike the tbr material or aamc material, there aren't any threads about how people scored on the tprh science workbook ESPECIALLY how it correlates with aamc/actual mcat scores on the science section

It seems all the people who used the tprh science workbook and did all of it scored in the high 30's

currently i'm using a 2012 version and using the format from this:
q = questions, p = passages

Physics
Kinematics: q 1-62, p 1-2
Mechanics I: q 63-113, p 3
Mechanics II: q 114-140, p 4
Mechanics III: q 141-200, p 5-13
Fluids and elasticity of solis: q 201-247, p 14-23
Electrostatics: q 248-269, p 24-25
Electricity and magnetism: q 270-294, p 26-38
Oscillations and waves: q 295-327, p 39-51
Sound, light, and optics: q 328-425, p 52-62

Gen Chem
Stoichiometry and atomic structure: q 1-17, p 1-17
Periodic trends and bonding: q 18-26, p 18-32
Phases and gases: q 33-45, p 35-39, 41-43, & 46
Solutions, colligative properties, and kinetics: q 27-32, 46-55, p 33-34, 40, 44-45, 47-52
Equilibrium, acids and bases I: q 56-66, p 51-61
Acids and bases II: q 67-71, p 62-70
Thermodynamics: q 72-81, p 71-78
Redox/electrochemistry: q 82-92, p 79-93

O Chem
Structure, bonding, and stability: q 1-37, p 1-4
Substitution and elimination reactions: q 38-64, p 5-10
Electrophilic addition, reactions and aromaticity: q 65-88, p 11-18
Nucleophilic addition and carboxylic acid derivatives: q 89-110, p 19-30
Separation techniques and spectroscopy: q 111-129, 31-35
Biologically important organic chemistry: q 130-138, p 36-45

Biology
Biochemistry: q 1-8, p 1-6
Biological macromolecules, molecular biology: q 9-20, p 7-12
Microbiology: q 21-30, p 13-22
Cell biology: q 31-39, p 23-29
Genetics: q 40-55, p 30-36
The nervous system: q 56-64, p 37-46
The endocrine, circulatory, lymphatic, and immune systems: q 65-88, p 47-64
The excretory and digestive systems: q 89-102, p 65-69
The muscular, skeletal, and respiratory systems: q 103-131, p 70-80
The reproductive systems and development: q 132-146, p 81-87
credit: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=966720

currently doing bio section by section and using khan academy/mcat-review and ek books to supplement

If anyone else has done this or is doing it right now, please chime in!!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
wow finishing the book by the end of next week? - im trying to finish it by the 26th

also do you think the orgo is worth doing?

how many passages do you do per day?

There are roughly 300 passages total in the book. If you do 10/day, you'll finish the entire book in a month. I usually do 60 passages/week. I'm nearly half way through.

In regards to ochem, yes, definitely do them. The book has great ochem passages. They are on par with the difficulty of the aamc's.

how many passages do you do per day?

There are roughly 300 passages total in the book. If you do 10/day, you'll finish the entire book in a month. I usually do 60 passages/week. I'm nearly half way through.

In regards to ochem, yes, definitely do them. The book has great ochem passages. They are on par with the difficulty of the aamc's.

I've been doing 1.5 sections, so anywhere from 8-15 passages, and about 20 discretes

also how do you like the physics/genchem part - do you feel your score improving?

thanks for the active responses, really appreciate it!

Hey guys, my info is from 2010 but here is what I have:

TPR Science Workbook
Physics 62 passages, 425 discretes
Chem 93 passages, 92 discretes
Bio 87 passages, 146 discretes
Orgo 45 passages, 138 discretes

It helped me to map these out so I can equally divide them up for X number of days.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, my info is from 2010 but here is what I have:

TPR Science Workbook
Physics 62 passages, 425 discretes
Chem 93 passages, 92 discretes
Bio 87 passages, 146 discretes
Orgo 45 passages, 138 discretes

It helped me to map these out so I can equally divide them up for X number of days.

Good luck!

I printed out a numbered chart for each section, so I could cross out the numbers of the questions and passages I do.

I've been doing 1.5 sections, so anywhere from 8-15 passages, and about 20 discretes

also how do you like the physics/genchem part - do you feel your score improving?

thanks for the active responses, really appreciate it!

I scored 8 on the PS last year when I took the test. Now, I'm scoring 10-12 on the aamc's. That's a big improvement. However, I still think TBR physics/gchem passages are superior to those of tprh because they are very experimental.

I scored 8 on the PS last year when I took the test. Now, I'm scoring 10-12 on the aamc's. That's a big improvement. However, I still think TBR physics/gchem passages are superior to those of tprh because they are very experimental.

That's definitely a big improvement and you said your not even finished with the book - itd be interesting to see how your scores progress

I've done a lot of TPRHL workbook questions and passages, but I have not been keeping track. I do all my work on a dry erase board so I can keep a clean book (to sell later, have to pay for this stuff somehow :laugh: )

I should come up with a concise schedule and log of the questions/passages I answer as well as my score, so I can use that as another tool for what I need to hone by test day.

I've done a lot of TPRHL workbook questions and passages, but I have not been keeping track. I do all my work on a dry erase board so I can keep a clean book (to sell later, have to pay for this stuff somehow :laugh: )

I should come up with a concise schedule and log of the questions/passages I answer as well as my score, so I can use that as another tool for what I need to hone by test day.

yup i keep my book clean too! i paid too much for the 2012 version, and just put my answers and answer explanations on evernote

Ah darn. I was hoping that wasn't the case...
In the version of the text I have, most recent I believe, the Advanced Passages are also the longest. Typically 10 questions, or at least all the ones in Bio I have completed were 10 questions. They are typically at the end of each subject as well.

If you are doing the biochem passages and as you get to the end of that particular set of passages, you will most likely notice a couple long, dense, tough passages before the topic change. Those will be your Advanced Passages.

Am reporting results per first passage of each section
Bio 75%
Gchem 66%
Phy 42% ( really made silly mistakes....shud have 80%)
Ochem 40% ( gotta work on this)

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my info:

O Chem
Structure, bonding, and stability: q 1-37, p 1-4 -- 79.2%
Substitution and elimination reactions: q 38-64, p 5-10 -- 80%
Electrophilic addition, reactions and aromaticity: q 65-88, p 11-18 -- 60%
Nucleophilic addition and carboxylic acid derivatives: q 89-110, p 19-30 -- 60.1%
Separation techniques and spectroscopy: q 111-129, 31-35 -- 59%
Biologically important organic chemistry: q 130-138, p 36-45 -- 46.3%
edit: i dont have any data for discretes, i did them a while ago, sorry.

Orgo is my weakest subject at the moment (other than verbal)

Last edited:
Am reporting results per first passage of each section
Bio 75%
Gchem 66%
Phy 42% ( really made silly mistakes....shud have 80%)
Ochem 40% ( gotta work on this)

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb using SDN Mobile
Now:
3 total passages in Bio: Avg. 71.43% (need to pull ma socks up...man!)
O-chem/Phys/G-chem: haven't done new passages...will post up soon.

Now:
3 total passages in Bio: Avg. 71.43% (need to pull ma socks up...man!)
O-chem/Phys/G-chem: haven't done new passages...will post up soon.

wow 71.43% is very solid - is this just 3 passages or 3 sections?

I think it's really a good idea to do all the passages in one section that way you drill the information in there lol

wow 71.43% is very solid - is this just 3 passages or 3 sections?

I think it's really a good idea to do all the passages in one section that way you drill the information in there lol
3 passages only...
I will keep on posting averages for whatever i add on.
But i need to work harder at O-chem...still a killer (discreets i got it at 80%...)
Will post update on all sections soon.

Did the following during past three days.

7 physics passages (75%)
7 gchem passages (68%)
9 bio passages (71%)
4 ochem passages (75%)

I also did passages from TBR, and feel very discouraged:

5 bio passages (66%)
8 ochem passages (59%)
9 physics passages (70%)
7 gchem passages (73%)

AAMC 5 tomorrow!!

Did the following during past three days.

7 physics passages (75%)
7 gchem passages (68%)
9 bio passages (71%)
4 ochem passages (75%)

I also did passages from TBR, and feel very discouraged:

5 bio passages (66%)
8 ochem passages (59%)
9 physics passages (70%)
7 gchem passages (73%)

AAMC 5 tomorrow!!

Dont worry about the TBR scores. TBR seems to be harder than any other MCAT prep books outhere....Let us know how you do on AAMC5 tomorrow.

Got killed by AAMC 5.

26 (10,6,10). The verbal in this test was tough. I was one question away from the next score in all sections.

Very, very painful stupid mistakes I made. I could have easily scored 12 on PS if I did the calculations correctly. On the BS, I mislabeled one question, and in another two questions, I should have quickly referred to the passage to settle a dispute between two possible answers.

In regards to timing, I finished with 8 mins to spare on the BS but right on time for PS. I was also short on timing for verbal; I had only 6 mins remaining when I started working on the 4th passage (on of the most difficult passages ever written) that I saved toward the end.

I feel that based on my knowledge of the material, I should have scored 29-30, but my test taking skills were what caused 3-4 points difference.

There's approximately 6 weeks left. I truly hope I could bump those sciences by at least point each and verbal by another point :xf:.

Got killed by AAMC 5.

26 (10,6,10). The verbal in this test was tough. I was one question away from the next score in all sections.

Very, very painful stupid mistakes I made. I could have easily scored 12 on PS if I did the calculations correctly. On the BS, I mislabeled one question, and in another two questions, I should have quickly referred to the passage to settle a dispute between two possible answers.

In regards to timing, I finished with 8 mins to spare on the BS but right on time for PS. I was also short on timing for verbal; I had only 6 mins remaining when I started working on the 4th passage (on of the most difficult passages ever written) that I saved toward the end.

I feel that based on my knowledge of the material, I should have scored 29-30, but my test taking skills were what caused 3-4 points difference.

There's approximately 6 weeks left. I truly hope I could bump those sciences by at least point each and verbal by another point :xf:.

That's alright! Just keep it up and study specifically what your having trouble with!

Just did 27 physics discrete questions and got 93%(25/27). My performance on the 5 passages I did wasn't so hot 72%(23/32). Now, moving on to gChem.

How are you doing? you haven't posted your updates in a while. Have you taken any AAMC FL's?

Sorry I was bout to post an update to a bio passage i did but just went out for dinner, also i'm not taking any practice exams till the first week of april
:)

BIOLOGY

Biochemistry: q 1-8, p 1-6
Questions 5/8 62.5%
Passages 27/34 79.4%

Genetics: q 40-55, p 30-36
Questions 12/16 75%
Passages 26/33 78.7%

The nervous system: q 56-64, p 37-46
Questions 4/9 44.4%
Passages 41/55 74.5%

The endocrine, circulatory, lymphatic, and immune systems: q 65-88, p 47-64
Questions 14/24 58.3%
Passages 71/102 69.6% There were 2 passages where I bombed, everything else was 1 error per passage

Microbiology: q 21-30, p 13-22
Questions 4/10 - 40%
Passages 36/48 - 75%

The excretory and digestive systems: q 89-102, p 65-69
Questions 8/14 - 57%
Passages 17/30 - 57% EEEEEK!

Biological macromolecules, molecular biology: q 9-20, p 7-12
Questions 10/12 - 83.3%
Passages 29/38 - 76%

For those who used this for Bio, what did you think of "Advanced Questions" and were they satisfactory in preparing you for the real deal?

SInce we are talking about TPR related material, would it be wise to start TPR ICC passages to get a feel of it?

Or start it later on in the study schedule? Also, since these passages are notoriously hard, should we aim for a higher time cushion to actually understand or keep the passages within the regular time limits +/- ~2 minutes?

So, after i put off ma exam date of June 20th, 2013 to some time in 2014...i have finally started back to some pre-lim review. Am starting with only Physics for this month, then 1 subject at time each month until next year back to that hardcore SN2ed schedule.
As far as my results: TPR science workbook

Bio passages = 70.69% (haven't done anything new here)
Bio discreets= 50% (haven't done anything new here)

O-chem passages = 33.33% (haven't done anything new here, but man!--need more work here)
O-chem discreets = 50% ( nothing new here either)

Gen-Chem passages = 66.67% (nothing new here since)
Gen-chem discreets = 72.73% (nothing new here since)

Physics passages = 42.86% (nothing new here...but need more work)
Physics discreets = 55.56% ( did some new discreets with 7 correct out of 9..so improved, but still behind)

I really need some work with the content...so i gotta get it down.

Orgo SWK is actually pretty tough I'm 2 chapters in and at a 67% for 6 passages
Bio SWK is 74% for 7 passages

I have decided to print out once again the AAMC subject topic pdf so i make sure i deal with each and every title on the Physical sciences section. I figure use these 4 months of 2013 for basics build up...then 2014 shud be SN2ed

Why do people keep saying this? 68% is a 10.2 out of 15. Obviously the MCAT isn't scored exactly like this, but the MCAT has a mix of hard and easy questions and the difficulty in TPRH-SW is more or less constant.

Really?

I was under the assumption roughly 75 percent was needed for a 10. Where did you get this info?

Does it matter which TPR science workbook edition one uses? 2011 vs 2012 vs 2013, etc?