TPRH SW Advanced Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, How do the bio passages in the TPRH SW compare to real thing? I hear some horror stories about these "experimental" science passages on real test. Also, how do the "advanced passages" compare. Are they harder or easier or on par? I am getting crushed by advanced (usually 3-4 wrong) but am making strides with normal passages (usually 1-2 wrong). I wasn't a bio major and have no bench research experience so some of these passages I am like wtf. This one passage was about an experiment and serial dilutions, etc. I was totally lost! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the MCAT this Saturday, but I've completed AAMC 3-10.

I can say unequivocally that the advanced passages in TPR are much harder than any of the AAMC passages I've encountered so far. In fact, most of the regular passages in the workbook are on average harder than AAMC exams.

I believe TPR explicitly states in its science workbook that advanced passages are much harder than anything on the real MCAT.

Don't freak out!

People who keep saying stuff like "oh the real MCAT is not as hard as this or that" are gonna be hit by a train when they take the MCAT. Passages vary in difficulty and are similar in style to the AAMC (not so much as the concept(s) that are presented in the passage) but you do have some really hard passages. Don't expect to get a passage that tests concepts like the difference b/w prokaryotes and eukaryotes or whatnot. Second of all, as someone has mentioned before countless times, the BS section is heavily based on critical thinking. So much so along the lines of verbal in which the answers can usually be derived from the passages itself. Thing is, don't sell yourself short and keep thinking that, just because a passage is hard as hell in practice, you won't see something like that in the exam. Be prepared for anything and everything, and disregard difficulty and focus on concept mastery and building you critical and analytical thinking skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So are the TPR workbook passages good for practicing MCAT passages or are they too different?

So are the TPR workbook passages good for practicing MCAT passages or are they too different?

Would love to know this..

from my experience, it seems like TPR workbook utilizes less reading comprehension and more rote memorization...

The TPRH passages are all-around good practice. I did around 70-80% of all the TPRH passages (and nothing else), and I got a 12 and 11 on PS and BS, respectively.

Reactions: 1 users
The TPRH passages are all-around good practice. I did around 70-80% of all the TPRH passages (and nothing else), and I got a 12 and 11 on PS and BS, respectively.
Nice. Out of curiosity, how strong did you feel about each section going into the exam? Which topic did you struggle most with? And what'd you use for content review?

I too am using TPRH SW (2008 edition) as the majority of my practice. Don't think I'll have time to use TBR passages if I plan on doing the AAMC's in time, so it's reassuring to hear someone else had success using the same approach. Thanks for updating btw.

Would love to know this..

from my experience, it seems like TPR workbook utilizes less reading comprehension and more rote memorization...

This may be true for many of the physics passages, but most of the biology passages are heavily based on comprehension and being able to decipher complicated lab techniques/processes. Some of the advanced biology passages are so ludicrously difficult that I frequently found myself laughing uncontrollably about how hopeless it all seems....

Nice. Out of curiosity, how strong did you feel about each section going into the exam? Which topic did you struggle most with? And what'd you use for content review?

I too am using TPRH SW (2008 edition) as the majority of my practice. Don't think I'll have time to use TBR passages if I plan on doing the AAMC's in time, so it's reassuring to hear someone else had success using the same approach. Thanks for updating btw.

Hey!

For content review, I used TPR exclusively. I read all 4 TPR content review books, and did most of the passages in the science workbook. I really went all-out preparing for everything except organic chemistry. I read the biology, general chemistry, and physics review books 4-8 times each. For organic chemistry, I also used TPR, but I didn't spend much time preparing for that subject; I mostly focused on the most basic concepts and areas where I can get easy points, such as HMR and IR peaks, and lab techniques.

I have never read TBR, so I can't comment on its usefulness.

However, absolutely do all the AAMC exams and review them. If you are short on time, absolutely prioritize AAMC exams over everything else!

Lastly, don't neglect verbal. I was a history major in undergrad and scored closed to 800 on the SAT I verbal, but I somewhat neglected verbal practice and only got a 10 on my exam. For me, an 11 on verbal should have been well within reach.

Good luck!

Hey!

For content review, I used TPR exclusively. I read all 4 TPR content review books, and did most of the passages in the science workbook. I really went all-out preparing for everything except organic chemistry. I read the biology, general chemistry, and physics review books 4-8 times each. For organic chemistry, I also used TPR, but I didn't spend much time preparing for that subject; I mostly focused on the most basic concepts and areas where I can get easy points, such as HMR and IR peaks, and lab techniques.

However, absolutely do all the AAMC exams and review them. If you are short on time, absolutely prioritize AAMC exams over everything else!

Lastly, don't neglect verbal. I was a history major in undergrad and scored closed to 800 on the SAT I verbal, but I somewhat neglected verbal practice and only got a 10 on my exam. For me, an 11 on verbal should have been well within reach.

Good luck!

I'm phasing out TBR + passages in favour of TPR + SW passages. If you don't mind me asking, what's your AAMC test average been like?

I'm phasing out TBR + passages in favour of TPR + SW passages. If you don't mind me asking, what's your AAMC test average been like?

I averaged 32-33 on all 8 AAMC exams. My lowest (#3) is a 31, and my highest (I believe #10) is a 34.

I got a 33 on the actual deal, which is stupendously consistent with my AAMC average. Hell, I may as well be the poster child of "scoring within your AAMC average"

I averaged 32-33 on all 8 AAMC exams. My lowest (#3) is a 31, and my highest (I believe #10) is a 34.

I got a 33 on the actual deal, which is stupendously consistent with my AAMC average. Hell, I may as well be the poster child of "scoring within your AAMC average"
Congratulations! That's an excellent score. After reading the TPR chapter, did you do every passage for it at once, or did you divide them up by 1/3rds? How did you decide when to come back and finish the rest of the passages?

I'm a bit nervous (if you can't tell!) :p

Congratulations! That's an excellent score. After reading the TPR chapter, did you do every passage for it at once, or did you divide them up by 1/3rds? How did you decide when to come back and finish the rest of the passages?

I'm a bit nervous (if you can't tell!) :p

I just did the passages in order, starting with #1. For the most part, the passage order mirrors the content order of the TPR review books.

Lastly, don't neglect organic chemistry! I might have gotten a 12 on BS instead of 11 had I attacked organic chemistry more rigorously during my studies. I know for a fact that I missed a few straight-forward, content-recall, organic chemistry chemistries on my exam.

When are you taking your exam?

I just did the passages in order, starting with #1. For the most part, the passage order mirrors the content order of the TPR review books.

Lastly, don't neglect organic chemistry! I might have gotten a 12 on BS instead of 11 had I attacked organic chemistry more rigorously during my studies. I know for a fact that I missed a few straight-forward, content-recall, organic chemistry chemistries on my exam.

When are you taking your exam?
August 7th. I thought TBR was too time consuming, and as I'm working part-time and doing volunteering I don't have as much time to study. (However, I can read very quickly and at least I find VR very easy!)

It's the passages I'm stressed about, and whether I'll miss any crucial elements by opting not to invest in TBR.

August 7th. I thought TBR was too time consuming, and as I'm working part-time and doing volunteering I don't have as much time to study. (However, I can read very quickly and at least I find VR very easy!)

It's the passages I'm stressed about, and whether I'll miss any crucial elements by opting not to invest in TBR.

I didn't have TBR (never seen the material), and I did reasonably well on the sciences without a science major.

You'll be fine unless you are dead-set on a 14+ on PS/BS.

I didn't have TBR (never seen the material), and I did reasonably well on the sciences without a science major.

You'll be fine unless you are dead-set on a 14+ on PS/BS.

Good to hear. Thanks for your help! :)

Hey!

Good luck!
That's great, thank you. Reading this was reassuring.

Last edited:
no problem!

are you applying this cycle?
I'm Canadian, and I'm applying in 2016. I'm taking the Mcat now because I've never taken psychology and biochemistry, and would prefer not to do the new test :p