TPRH verbal vs TBR verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I already did EK101 verbal and am deciding on whether to do TPRH verbal or TBR verbal next. My test day is Sep 12. Which book would you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

So I already did EK101 verbal and am deciding on whether to do TPRH verbal or TBR verbal next. My test day is Sep 12. Which book would you guys recommend?
TPRH verbal = EK 101 >> TBR verbal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kaplan verbal (that's how I see it personally).

Definitely TPRH Verbal. TBR Verbal questions were not representative at all in my opinion. Furthermore, their explanation for each question was very long (upto like 1.5 pages for a question sometimes). I think TPRH was the most like AAMC.

TBR, I found, is very "meh" at best. There's a lot of problems associated with it, whether it's ridiculously long passages, over-the-top questions, or horrible answers given from the book. That being said, I think its difficulty gives you some sort of "confidence" going in since you will have already dealt with the "worst."

However, I'm curious as to how you guys think of TPRH vs. EK? @Dreamstoo - you said that these two are essentially equivalent, but are they really that equal? I took the first three practice passages for EK today, and some of the answers they gave were god awful (I believe one answer said that if an answer used the word "sometimes" instead of "not as often," then it would have been the right answer). The passages seem easier, but the questions seem harder for EK, whereas the passages seem harder and questions easier for TPRH. Despite this, I honestly think that TPRH is better just because of its better answer explanations compared to EK

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR, I found, is very "meh" at best. There's a lot of problems associated with it, whether it's ridiculously long passages, over-the-top questions, or horrible answers given from the book. That being said, I think its difficulty gives you some sort of "confidence" going in since you will have already dealt with the "worst."

However, I'm curious as to how you guys think of TPRH vs. EK? @Dreamstoo - you said that these two are essentially equivalent, but are they really that equal? I took the first three practice passages for EK today, and some of the answers they gave were god awful (I believe one answer said that if an answer used the word "sometimes" instead of "not as often," then it would have been the right answer). The passages seem easier, but the questions seem harder for EK, whereas the passages seem harder and questions easier for TPRH. Despite this, I honestly think that TPRH is better just because of its better answer explanations compared to EK

I don't use either but I've heard those are the two best sources. I did use EK 101 for awhile didn't like it but I also know people who used it solely and got 13 VR.

I actually think TPRH > EK 101 > Kap >TBR (some passages). I think the problem with Kaplan is mainly that they focus on a very narrow amount of questions mostly fact checking or evaluation types.

If you have to pick one pick TPRH. The problem with TBR is already stated as above. TBR has great passages and they give you the source at the end so if you're interested in the article you can do more research on it. Their non-diagnostic test, I think was okay. Having done 4 TBR diagnostics it really does seemed like there are more than two answer writers (as suggested by some members).

TPRH is miles better than EK, in my opinion. I've used both almost completely and I have to say that EK 101's questions are ambiguous, the answer choices are too similar to be able to properly distinguish between right/wrong, and the answer explanations are the absolute worst part. They actually will say for some choices "This choice is vague and not as good as Choice A" without telling you why, in the context of the passage. I'd honestly not even recommend EK101 in any capacity to people who are going to start studying because it's a waste of time and money in my opinion. TPR verbal is the only third party resource worth buying IMO, other than that the AAMC verbal (FL's + self-assessment+Official Guide) is your best bet.

I agree that EK 101 answer explanations are lacking, which is a polar opposite of TBR's information overload. But, in general when studying for verbal from any material, we should be able to make our own answer explanations as there may be many ways to get to an answer.

Tprh is essential. Ek101 is optional. Taking a Princeton review course is worth it just for the verbal portion.