traditional ACCEPTED studts w/ low sciGPA(3.1 or lower)/high MCAT but NO POSTBAC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skinnygirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have looked at a lot of forums and dicussions on SDN but non of them seems to answer the questions that I have been looking for. I want to hear from the medical students and the pre-med students who are in medical school or who have been ACCEPTED into medical (DO or MD) school with a low SCIENCE gpa (around 3.1 or below) but a good/high MCAT score (30 or above) W/O doing a postbac/grad school. Wait-lists included.

1) sciGPA?

2) overall gpa?

3) MCAT score?

4) clinical/volunteer/research/work experience?

5) Which schools did you get into or wait-listed at (DO and/or MD)?

6) Race/Nationality? (OPTIONAL)

Please do not give me your thoughts how impossible it is to get in with a low science gpa. Statistical it is possible (just not probable). I am not looking to have another meaningless SDN debate. If this question does not apply to you please do not answer it. Please. If you are still applying please do not respond but if you have been wait-listed I would like to hear from you too. Underrepresented minorities are also more than welcome to reply if this applied to you as well. Please NO negative comments at anyone. There's no point in bringing other people down over the web.

Members don't see this ad.

well I think most schools screen at 3.0 so as long as your above that threshold you have a shot. Realize though that you would be a severe disadvantage compared to the average matriculant so you need a good story to grab an ADCOM's attention. obviously you're odds improve with DO schools if you have a high MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

1) sciGPA? 2.99

2) overall gpa? 3.20

3) MCAT score? 34

4) clinical/volunteer/research/work experience? random undergraduate research, 6 mos clinical volunteering, worked through college, EMT license, 1 year+ working as an ER tech

5) Which schools did you get into or wait-listed at (DO and/or MD)?
Accepted at Touro-NY, AZCOM, and Tulane--still haven't heard back from a lot of places but I'm ecstatic about my Tulane acceptance and don't really care how many more rejections I get

6) Race/Nationality? (OPTIONAL) whitest whitey

I did an "unofficial" post-bacc--I retook one class per semester for 2 semesters, then took 1 A&P course (all at a state school). I got straight A's in that, plus my EMT course and an online Spanish class I took for funsies. To be honest, though, I don't think most schools cared about my post-bacc coursework very much, and it wasn't reflected on my AMCAS.

I graduated college in 2012 and haven't done anything major since other than continuously taking a very light courseload while working as an ER tech. I did a lot of shadowing during this time and got some good recs too.

I guess they liked what I wrote and saw the sort of growth narrative I was trying to piece together with my application. Also, I applied to 43 schools because I knew it would be a numbers game.

Smug edit: also, I posted on the "what are my chances?" pre-med forum and was told unanimously that my chances at MD were nil and at DO were very slim. People tend to be a little extreme here on SDN.

I did an "unofficial" post-bacc--I retook one class per semester for 2 semesters, then took 1 A&P course (all at a state school). I got straight A's in that, plus my EMT course and an online Spanish class I took for funsies. To be honest, though, I don't think most schools cared about my post-bacc coursework very much, and it wasn't reflected on my AMCAS.

I graduated college in 2012 and haven't done anything major since other than continuously taking a very light courseload while working as an ER tech. I did a lot of shadowing during this time and got some good recs too.

I guess they liked what I wrote and saw the sort of growth narrative I was trying to piece together with my application. Also, I applied to 43 schools because I knew it would be a numbers game.

Smug edit: also, I posted on the "what are my chances?" pre-med forum and was told unanimously that my chances at MD were nil and at DO were very slim. People tend to be a little extreme here on SDN.

That's an amazing mcat score! How did you study for it?

That's an amazing mcat score! How did you study for it?

Hard.

2 months of the online Kaplan course with every spare minute I had. I really think that course helped a lot, but I think it's possible without spending so much money too--it just requires you to be a lot more proactive about researching strategies and accurately reproducing test conditions on your own.

Hard.

2 months of the online Kaplan course with every spare minute I had. I really think that course helped a lot, but I think it's possible without spending so much money too--it just requires you to be a lot more proactive about researching strategies and accurately reproducing test conditions on your own.
Hey pepe,

First of all, congrats! Tulane is an amazing school and clearly you deserve it with your persistence and story. I've been very interested reading some of your posts as I have a similar GPA and (unfortunately) I also have an IA on my record from early on in my college career. I was wondering if and how you explained this in your app. Also, was it academic-related or disciplinary if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 1 user
It was suspension from campus housing because of repeated drug offenses (MJ). I tried to tie it in to the rest of my app by describing the amount of personal growth I experienced in the last few years of college, once I kind of hit rock bottom academics-wise and realized I needed to start taking accountability for myself. Thanks for your kind words and best of luck! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Wish more people would post! I love hearing these stories :)